• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
dont forget about sacrifice rings....a good investment when you travel by the parish and speak with absolve sin guy.

the best starting character is sorcerer...least amount of resistance to start....resistance is a useless stat. only one extra INT point gets you all the preliminary sorceries and then you can take it anyway you like.

But Resistance doesn't count towards starting Soul Level. Points a character has in Resistance at the start are essentially freebies. Even From knew it was useless.

Good...two more opportunities for the weapon.

Then I guess getting cursed by a gravelord does nothing to the DLC areas.

Are you sure you were cursed by a Gravelord? And if you were cursed, are you sure that it actually took effect? I've had two Gravelord signs show up with no sign of any other effects of cursing. I get the feeling that covenant is still highly hit-and-miss.

FtHTiny

I think they should have changed gravelording anyway. Sitting in your own world brings you nothing. Would be way better if you curse someone he gets into your world with the mega-creeps so that you atleast have some fun. But right now it´s super boring for the gravelord itself.

NBtoaster

Are you sure you were cursed by a Gravelord? And if you were cursed, are you sure that it actually took effect? I've had two Gravelord signs show up with no sign of any other effects of cursing. I get the feeling that covenant is still highly hit-and-miss.

Oh I just looked it up..I got the message that the "disasters were gone after the gravelord was defeated" or something like that, which confused me, but it actually means the gravelord was already defeated..though I never saw any effect in the first place.

Rich!

Right. Might buy this today, but not sure if it will run well or not. Don't want to waste £25.

My specs:

4gb ram
AMD phenom 955 x4 3.4ghz
Radeon 6850 1gb

Any opinions? I want to run it at 1080p native with as close to 30fps constant as possible.

Zimbardo

why do so many people seem to hate Lost Izalith?

you can just run past all those big dino monster things and most likely not even get hit once. its so quick and easy.

the worst part about it is that Bed of Chaos can be a pain in the ass at times. other than that ...its easy pie.

FtHTiny

you can just run past all those big dino monster things and most likely not even get hit once. its so quick and easy.

the worst part about it is that Bed of Chaos can be a pain in the ass at times. other than that ...its easy pie.

That doesn´t make it good designed that you can just skip everything :c

ixix

Oh I just looked it up..I got the message that the "disasters were gone after the gravelord was defeated" or something like that, which confused me, but it actually means the gravelord was already defeated..though I never saw any effect in the first place.

That's pretty standard. Most people's only interaction with the Gravelords is occasionally getting that message. It was actually taken as a given that the covenant was completely non-functional for quite a while after the launch of the game. It's actually always been working, so to speak, it's just always been really, really wonky. There's an incredibly precise number of conditions that have to be met for the Gravelord curse to actually take effect, and even if they're all met sometimes it still doesn't take.

In all my hundreds of hours of play I've only seen a proper curse in action once, and it was while I was a phantom in another world. I've never seen it happen in my own. Don't be shocked if the only interaction you ever have with a Gravelord is the message that they bit it.

I think they should have changed gravelording anyway. Sitting in your own world brings you nothing. Would be way better if you curse someone he gets into your world with the mega-creeps so that you atleast have some fun. But right now it´s super boring for the gravelord itself.

The Gravelord actually gets swarmed with invaders at the moment. It's part of the reason the covenant works so rarely; by the time anyone hits the point where the curse is capable of kicking in invaders have had enough time to obliterate the Gravelord a dozen times over. If the Gravelord became immune to any invaders other than the ones that come through his sign it would probably work a lot better.

I think it's kind of a shame how that covenant turned out. It's a really conceptually interesting covenant that makes for a nice form of online interaction outside of the standard invasion and co-op functions. I've been hoping it'd be reworked for ages.

FtHTiny

I think it's kind of a shame how that covenant turned out. It's a really conceptually interesting covenant that makes for a nice form of online interaction outside of the standard invasion and co-op functions. I've been hoping it'd be reworked for ages.

The thing is, i did it yesterday for the miracle-achievement. I farmed 15 eyes gave 10 to him and tried to have fun with the other 5.
Every 40 min or so i changed the location because nothing happend. You don´t get a response that your mega-creeps do something at all right now or if anything is going on at all.
You have no real benefit for gravelording that´s what i mean.
If i want to get invaded i can just stand in human form after the second dlc boss.

Sarcasm

So what was all the commotion about a really low fixed resolution? I saw epicnamebro's vid yesterday and he set it at 1920x1080.

The internal res is set at 1024x720. So if you set your reso to 1920x1080 it has to upscale. Its like taking a passport picture and blowing it up to like say poster..kinda drastic but yea get the idea.

i'm ng+ and the ghosts in new londo are destroying me, i'm lvl 90, black knight armor, black knight halberd +5, greatshield of artorias +2 and no chance against these fu****. Any advice please

ixix

The thing is, i did it yesterday for the miracle-achievement. I farmed 15 eyes gave 10 to him and tried to have fun with the other 5.
Every 40 min or so i changed the location because nothing happend. You don´t get a response that your mega-creeps do something at all right now or if anything is going on at all.
You have no real benefit for gravelording that´s what i mean.
If i want to get invaded i can just stand in human form after the second dlc boss.

I suspect that's the game's connectivity problems shining through. On the PS3 version at least using an Eye of Death basically causes an almost non-stop stream of invaders to show up. It completely turns off the post-invasion grace period the game gives you to prevent you from having to fight invaders one after another, allowing a new one to spawn the instant one dies.

I can't imagine the connection issues the game is having are helping what is already a very finicky covenant in the least. I actually found a sign in the game on my first character but wasn't able to actually use it because the connection would always crap out. A real shame, that.

Sarcasm

What fucking shit is this. I try to summon 10 times. I get invaded by some dude with poison and lightning...

Can't I just co op? I don't care for the mundane PvP.

How do I even check who it was?

**I also lost the ability to summon that NPC to help me at the gargoyles...*sigh*

Vaporak

What fucking shit is this. I try to summon 10 times. I get invaded by some dude with poison and lightning...

Can't I just co op? I don't care for the mundane PvP.

The online is pretty broken. Maybe about 5% of my summon attempts worked. I had better success getting summoned but it still happened less than a dozen times total.

KAOz

Short bus special

Should have seen it before the patches.

By God.

There where hundreds of those fucking dinos. And they all could see you, no matter where you are. You would be surrounded, constantly. And there would be nothing you could do about it. And they would follow you. You know those "buildings" in the middle of the lava. You could run into them. And they would still see you, and surround the whole place. While constantly attacking you.
They could spot you from miles away.

Fuck them.

Also noticed they nerfed the vision of the Capra Demon's in Demon's Ruins. You could hardly take a step before, then you would have basically all of them on your ass. Now you can go up and tickle them and they don't react. Hah.

i'm ng+ and the ghosts in new londo are destroying me, i'm lvl 90, black knight armor, black knight halberd +5, greatshield of artorias +2 and no chance against these fu****. Any advice please
Use a quick fire weapon or fire resin on a regular buffable weapon. A katana is a good fast weapon.

If you take your time in places and run through in others, you won't get gangbanged by them because you won't trigger them all at once. If all you want is the key to drain the water, you can kill Ingward with arrows without even going in the house area. Once you have the key, run through to the lever and then homebone out or use the lift down.

The internal res is set at 1024x720. So if you set your reso to 1920x1080 it has to upscale. Its like taking a passport picture and blowing it up to like say poster..kinda drastic but yea get the idea.

Thanks for the heads up. Can it be fixed with mods later on?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
If you plan to be melee based though I'd recommend prioritizing end over vit. Stamina is your most important resource in physical combat.

Gvaz

Banned
Goddamn, the
Gold Tracer is badass in your left hand. I need two of these things stat, I wish the Bottomless Box trick still worked. :(

You have the gold tracer in your left and the other one in your right.

snipe

iF6H0tdtP6jPi.jpg

Regarding the new DLC areas before I head in, are you able to freely go in and out of the new areas or are you stuck once you enter
like Painted World

Hypron

Wow, I got to Ornstein and Smough in NG+, and man they're tearing me a new one... I already did that before on xbox, but my character had more health and dealt more damage, so it was nowhere near as hard as it is now... I'm getting killed in one hit most of the time, and I deal really low damage (I'm using Ricard's Rapier, it's great against pretty much everything but the most armoured enemies like Ornstein -and I need his soul-). And I can't find anyone to invoke. Ha well... I'll take a break and come back to it later, hopefully it'll go better this time.

FtHTiny

Wow, I got to Ornstein and Smough in NG+, and man they're tearing me a new one... I already did that before on xbox, but my character had more health and dealt more damage, so it was nowhere near as hard as it is now... I'm getting killed in one hit most of the time, and I deal really low damage (I'm using Ricard's Rapier, it's great against pretty much everything but the most armoured enemies like Ornstein -and I need his soul-). And I can't find anyone to invoke. Ha well... I'll take a break and come back to it later, hopefully it'll go better this time.

what soullevel do you have?

NBtoaster

Saw my first vagrant..gave me twin humanities!

Only 2 bosses remain, the final one and the DLC dragon..very hard to get phantoms to assist there, most think they're being summoned for the other boss of the area.

Raxus

SL95, there doesn't seem to be many people of that level around... I managed to get invaded once and help one guy yesterday, and that's about all the online interactions I've had in Anor Londo.

Are you in NG+?

If not you really should spend your souls on other things.

does magic weapon work on say a +15 weapon?

also, what are the titanites for? do you need those AND souls to upgrade a weapon?

should I be upgrading my regular early weapons (eg my club) or wait for better weapons?

Oxn

Question.

How do you know if you are entering a boss room or just another zone when you enter the white light?

Mupod

also, what are the titanites for? do you need those AND souls to upgrade a weapon?

should I be upgrading my regular early weapons (eg my club) or wait for better weapons?

I'm not completely sure but I can't think of any +15 weapons that aren't enchantable. That's what you want if you are using something like magic weapon.

Depends what early weapons we're talking about. You can get a a couple weapons from the graveyard in the first minute after you leave the asylum that are well worth upgrading. I'm SL90 and I'm using a weapon that drops off the Balder knights in Undead Parish, upgraded to +15.

Raxus

Yes magic enhancements work on +15 weapons as long as it doesn't have an effect like fire, lightning, or magic. In fact it is a great way to strengthen your basic weapons that have B or better stat scaling.

Yes you need titanites and souls for upgrading weapons but the souls are pretty negligible. The titanite chunks and slabs on the other hand...

Upgrading weapons is based solely on play style. How much do you like the weapon. How does the stat scaling work for your build. You may want to use the wiki to help you on this front.

2 questions regarding going back to the
Assylum
, when I got to the stairs where the
ball rolls down, all of the sudden a Knight spawn and attacked me, is this soldier the hollow form of the soldier that was dying at the beginning of the game? Right after I talked to him and he giving me his gift, I killed him, he went... "Why??" Was that him back for revenge? That would be sweet.

Also, the freaking
assylum demon got me and he seems to be tougher than ever, im I supposed to kill him? Should I even attempt to? Im around level 21.

FtHTiny

pick a weapon you like and upgrade it. Upgrading cost titanite and only a little amout of souls. Iirc it´s something like 200 per upgrade.

I started a new character since I was playing with the Master Key before and found it very boring weapon wise. That's because I immediately grabbed a couple of high end weapons, and there was no point ever using basic weapons.

I created a new character and its been way more fun because there is a reason to try and use different weapons. Eg the zweihander is tons of fun because of its insane damage and knockdown, but balanced by being so slow. Trying out other weapons, I really like the basic Club for its jump attack and high damage, I like the halberd for its moveset, and spear for being defensive.

I also like that by having no master key, I cant accidentally open doors I shouldn't normally access.

Top Bottom