• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

pa22word

Question.

How do you know if you are entering a boss room or just another zone when you enter the white light?
Well, basically...

whitelightdoor-1.png

Hypron

Are you in NG+?

If not you really should spend your souls on other things.

Of course I'm in NG+.

I'm backtracking to the undead parish to make myself a couple of new weapons more adapted to the task of killing
super Ornstein
than a rapier. I got him down to 1/3 of his life once but each fight just takes too much time because of my limited damage output, and a longer fight means a lot more chances to screw up (when you've got 9 vita it pretty much means death).

I've got no problem with the bonfires not being right infront of a boss, but later in the game they are placed obnoxiously far from the bosses and serve as nothing but a waste of time. level design in general really takes a nose dive after Anor Londo imo.

I'd agree - still love the game and probably my favorite of all time. But yeah, feels like post Ano- they got lazy, and the level design starts to fall in quality. Seriously, Lost Izalith can fuck right off. It's just annoying/lazy level design -- lets put a bunch of dino-asses in Lava!

It's not hard, it's just annoying. I'd rather grind out the humanity to open the shortcut than deal with that nonsense.

FtHTiny

I'd agree - still love the game and probably my favorite of all time. But yeah, feels like post Ano- they got lazy, and the level design starts to fall in quality. Seriously, Lost Izalith can fuck right off. It's just annoying/lazy level design -- lets put a bunch of dino-asses in Lava!

It's not hard, it's just annoying. I'd rather grind out the humanity to open the shortcut than deal with that nonsense.

The thing about Lost Izalith is also. If it wouldn´t be annoying/shitty noone would bother to take the shortcut in the first place. So it´s maybe a little bit understandable.

man its been years since I have been this addicted to a game, spiritual successor to morrow wind which stole my life back when it came back

I find myself irritable and short tempered at work STOP INTERRUPTING MY DARK SOULS PLANNING

man its been years since I have been this addicted to a game, spiritual successor to morrow wind which stole my life back when it came back

I find myself irritable and short tempered at work STOP INTERRUPTING MY DARK SOULS PLANNING

Same sentiment here, yesterday I had to stop playing because I was too 'jumpy' after beating a difficult boss (for me) without dying once with tons of souls and humanity in the line.

Kyosukemox

Neo Member
Is PVP at sl50 populated? I plan on getting to NG++++ and leaving Undead Burg/Sewers open for dueling and invading.. Can anyone also confirm what the lvl range caps are in this game for PVP?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm running out of patients trying to deal with artorias.
I've tried every type of armor, rings,fully upgraded pyro glove and fully upgraded fire and lighting weapons.
Even watched the epic name bro fights for tips.
man, haven't felt this frustrated since the flamelurker and even he was nothing once you had the right armor and lots of health.
I cant even comprehend this fight in ng+.
[/rant]

Tilian

Banned
Anybody have any luck getting into the
area after defeating Artorias? I stand on the trapdoor forever and never once have made it in. I'm SL 45.

double jump

Anybody have any luck getting into the
area after defeating Artorias? I stand on the trapdoor forever and never once have made it in. I'm SL 45.

how in the goat fuck did you beat artorias at SL 45?

FtHTiny

Dodge only, after his long jump you can get 2 hits in. After his forward slide-attack you can get some hits in.
All other moves can be risky to try to hit him.
If you have magic, when he powers up you can get 2 spells in for free.

So after 30 or so tries, I made it pass
those two asshole archers in Andor Londo
and got to the bonfire. It was around 1AM and I was sleepy, but I wanted to at least explore the room across the hall before I went to bed. So I go in there and start fighting this guy with a spear. Eventually the ensuing rumble spilled over into the room with the bonfire and as a result, Solaire gets caught in the crossfire and killed.

Does this mean he's dead permanently? What affect will it have on my game?

I went to bed after that and haven't played the game since, so I don't know if he reappears there.

Also, from PvP, I've noticed the most annoying guys are the ones who will roll, get behind you and stab you in the back. Is there some sort of guide that will teach you how to get behind someone or at least defend against it? This was also annoying in Demon's Souls because I played a heavy armor cleric in that one too.

FtHTiny

Is PVP at sl50 populated? I plan on getting to NG++++ and leaving Undead Burg/Sewers open for dueling and invading.. Can anyone also confirm what the lvl range caps are in this game for PVP?

Well for the arena ther is a bracket from 1-50 but i think it´s not very popular.
100 seems to be the new way to go for the most pvp-action.

double jump

So after 30 or so tries, I made it pass
those two asshole archers in Andor Londo
and got to the bonfire. It was around 1AM and I was sleepy, but I wanted to at least explore the room across the hall before I went to bed. So I go in there and start fighting this guy with a spear. Eventually the ensuing rumble spilled over into the room with the bonfire and as a result, Solaire gets caught in the crossfire and killed.

Does this mean he's dead permanently? What affect will it have on my game?

I went to bed after that and haven't played the game since, so I don't know if he reappears there.

Also, from PvP, I've noticed the most annoying guys are the ones who will roll, get behind you and stab you in the back. Is there some sort of guide that will teach you how to get behind someone or at least defend against it? This was also annoying in Demon's Souls because I played a heavy armor cleric in that one too.

yea sun bro is dead until ng+

Totakeke

Alright, I convinced myself that I suck at this game because the keyboard sucks and I need to get a controller.

So Wii Classic, Xbox 360, PS3 DS3, or some other controller?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Alright, I convinced myself that I suck at this game because the keyboard sucks and I need to get a controller.

So Wii Classic, Xbox 360, PS3 DS3, or some other controller?

wired 360 pad, take the plunge...

Can someone help me figure out why I cant summon the
knight to help me beat the dragon in the Depths
according to the wiki, I should have the option to summon him if I talked to him in the front of the
hellkite bridge
which I did.

I had him available for help to beat the
gargoyles
on top of the parish, he died helping me though, is that why he doesnt appear anymore?

Mupod

Can someone help me figure out why I cant summon the
knight to help me beat the dragon in the Depths
according to the wiki, I should have the option to summon him if I talked to him in the front of the
hellkite bridge
which I did.

I had him available for help to beat the
gargoyles
on top of the parish, he died helping me though, is that why he doesnt appear anymore?

Make sure you're in human form, and don't have your own summon sign down.

Make sure you're in human form, and don't have your own summon sign down.

Damn, pretty sure im not human hehe, thanks.

One question, how do you acquire humanity, I mean the counter at the top next to your health..

Its so random, sometimes pick up like 5k souls and get no humanity and sometimes I beat one enemy for 200 souls and the Humanity counter rises randomly.

What drives that humanity number? Is it really completely random?

Mupod

Damn, pretty sure im not human hehe, thanks.

One question, how do you acquire humanity, I mean the counter at the top next to your health..

Its so random, sometimes pick up like 5k souls and get no humanity and sometimes I beat one enemy for 200 souls and the Humanity counter rises randomly.

What drives that humanity number? Is it really completely random?

Sometimes you'll get humanity when you kill a lot of enemies in an area when the boss is still alive. I think it'll increase up to 10 times if you're just hanging around grinding lots of stuff.

You can also get it through successful invasions, helping someone kill a boss in co-op, and of course eating humanities you find.

Alastor

OMG, the difference between my old rusty spear +1 and that magic sword that drops from the big knight in one of the first areas... I don't have enough strength to use it one-handed but soon, SOON.

Sometimes you'll get humanity when you kill a lot of enemies in an area when the boss is still alive. I think it'll increase up to 10 times if you're just hanging around grinding lots of stuff.

You can also get it through successful invasions, helping someone kill a boss in co-op, and of course eating humanities you find.

If only online was working :(, summoning failed...

Im finding it really hard to find humanities right now, im stuck in the depths.

Tilian

Banned

Lightning uchigatana +5, paladin armour maxed, pyro glove maxed with great fireball, and I summoned a Japanese player. We wrecked him.

Oops I meant to say "arena." I'm probably too low, though I want to compete in the 1-50 range.

Do you have no humanity items left?
And also the rats in the depts drop humanities pretty often.

I do have humanity items but im afraid to use them this early in the game, arent they used for some other greater purpose later in the game? Or am I confusing them with the Fire keeper souls.

Which remind me of another question, I found a fire keep soul, should I go to the lady trapped at firelink shrine and use it there, she offered to do something with my flasks, should I say yes...???

Are they used for something better later in the game?

Glad I didn't listen to the general consensus on this one.

The difference between the PS3 version and the PC version + resolution mod is night and day. Loving it all over again.

Raxus

Also the rats in the depths have a decent drop rate. Maxed out item find (10 Humanity, gold covetus serpent ring, and symbol of avarice) can net you 1-4 a run on average you find 1 a run. You can teleport to the grind spot now too.

10 Humanity is basically a must since it affects item find, chaos weapons, used kindling fires which persists to NG+. Humanity items are also one of the best healing items in the game.

Don't be afraid to use the item since their sole purpose is for de-hollowification, kindling (which is permanent), and for a couple covenants (which only require 30 each). They are super easy to farm and make fantastic healing items.

Besides having 10 for item find you really don't have much use for the stuff besides what is highlighted above and once you run low you can farm for around an hour and get maybe 20-50 humanity easy.

I do have humanity items but im afraid to use them this early in the game, arent they used for some other greater purpose later in the game? Or am I confusing them with the Fire keeper souls.

Which remind me of another question, I found a fire keep soul, should I go to the lady trapped at firelink shrine and use it there, she offered to do something with my flasks, should I say yes...???

You want to give it to her for sure. Don't be afraid to pop humanity there is alot of it in the game now compared to when it launched.

FtHTiny

Yes you should give the fire keeper souls to the lady to upgrade your flask. It will heal more and the fire keeper souls don´t serve any better purpose anyway.

And the humanity items are kinda made for the situation you are in. Use it to go human and try to find some help for bosses you would otherwise not be able to beat alone.
They have no real other use in the game later on. But don´t waste all of them now. Try the boss alone and if you don´t see yourself beating him alone start summon some helpers.

So watching someone else play the game, I noticed that they have some sort of health related sorcery that can be called when there arent enemies around.

Is this something worthwhile that I should try to find?

Im at level 21 and I still havent found any sorceries, I think I have a talisman but no sorceries at all.

Raxus

Yes you should give the fire keeper souls to the lady to upgrade your flask. It will heal more and the fire keeper souls don´t serve any better purpose anyway.

And the humanity items are kinda made for the situation you are in. Use it to go human and try to find some help for bosses you would otherwise not be able to beat alone.
They have no real other use in the game later on. But don´t waste all of them now. Try the boss alone and if you don´t see yourself beating him alone start summon some helpers.

Just to add to this the Flask maxes out at +7 I believe (800 health per flask) and using them only gives you 5 humanity which, as I said above, is kind of useless to you past a certain point.

Raxus

So watching someone else play the game, I noticed that they have some sort of health related sorcery that can be called when there arent enemies around.

Im at level 21 and I still havent found any sorceries, I think I have a talisman but no sorceries at all.

The heal miracle I take it. You can obtain that fairly early but most magic and miracles depend on the faith and intel. stats. Only pyromancy is independent, the ascended glove scales off intel though.

You have to purchase a majority of spells, track down vendors, and find the rest.

Dylan

Thanks for all the tips guys, no longer afraid of using humanity items and spending the firekeeper souls :)

There is one specific firekeeper soul you'll want to hang on to though.

It's the one you find
below firelink shrine in the cage
. It only happens a specific circumstance though.

The healing spell is a Miracle, you can buy them from the cleric standing around in Firelink Shrine. You can also buy the talisman for them. They can be used in battle but they are rather slow and risky.

For Sorcery you need a catalyst. You can either buy one from Rickert (hidden away in the first open area of New Londo Ruins, available right from the start) or get one in Lower Undead Burg. You can buy some spells from Rickert or wait until you get to the Lower Undead Burg and rescue Griggs from there. He sells better spells and a very useful ring, but you need the special key from the undead merchant for this.

Also the rats in the depths have a decent drop rate. Maxed out item find (10 Humanity, gold covetus serpent ring, and symbol of avarice) can net you 1-4 a run on average you find 1 a run. You can teleport to the grind spot now too.

10 Humanity is basically a must since it affects item find, chaos weapons, used kindling fires which persists to NG+. Humanity items are also one of the best healing items in the game.

Don't be afraid to use the item since their sole purpose is for de-hollowification, kindling (which is permanent), and for a couple covenants (which only require 30 each). They are super easy to farm and make fantastic healing items.

Besides having 10 for item find you really don't have much use for the stuff besides what is highlighted above and once you run low you can farm for around an hour and get maybe 20-50 humanity easy.

Just read the wiki, says that the Symbol of Avarice doesnt stack with serpent ring...

Mupod

You can buy the heal miracle from the cleric back in firelink shrine. You'll need some Faith to cast it.

For some sorceries:

Buy the residential key from the merchant back in undead burg, then go to that area full of those assassin dudes right before Capra Demon. Coming down the path from undead burg, if you go down the stairs and turn around toward the area full of torch zombies there will be a dude trapped behind a door on the left. The key will open it, after talking to him he'll head back to Firelink where he'll sell sorceries and a catalyst to cast them.

Of course you need intelligence to use them.

You should have already met Laurentius the pyromancer in the depths...hope you didn't kill him. Pyromancy has no stat requirements, you upgrade them by spending souls on your pyromancy flame.

Razek

Banned
I didn't know humanity was so easy to acquire. I haven't used a single one all game. I'm sure I lost a bunch then by dying without even realizing I had it.

Question: Is the shortcut to
lost Izalith worth 30 humanities? I'm in the covenant but haven't gave her any yet.

A coin toss it is.

Dont listen to the Dual Shock people.

Many PC games have native 360 support and the button overlays are ALWAYS for 360 as it is with Dark Souls. You also have to use a third party program with a DS3 to emulate a 360 controller to get it working. 360 support meanwhile is native. I also costs considerably more to buy a DS3 and blutooth adapter than a wired 360 pad. Almost double, in fact.

If you have a Microcenter by you they have wired 360 pads for $19.99. If not, Amazon has them for $29.99.

There is no reason to use DS3 unless you already own one and a bluetooth adapter. 360 controller is the officially supported one, its cheaper amd frankly the analog sticks are way better as they are tighter and the triggers are concave as they should be.

Top Bottom