• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

You can buy the heal miracle from the cleric back in firelink shrine. You'll need some Faith to cast it.

For some sorceries:

Buy the residential key from the merchant back in undead burg, then go to that area full of those assassin dudes right before Capra Demon. Coming down the path from undead burg, if you go down the stairs and turn around toward the area full of torch zombies there will be a dude trapped behind a door on the left. The key will open it, after talking to him he'll head back to Firelink where he'll sell sorceries and a catalyst to cast them.

Of course you need intelligence to use them.

You should have already met Laurentius the pyromancer in the depths...hope you didn't kill him. Pyromancy has no stat requirements, you upgrade them by spending souls on your pyromancy flame.

Thanks for this mini guide, I actually killed everyone in the undead burg, including the
zombies with fire and never noticed there was someone in that room,
will have to go back now.

Razek

Banned
Dont listen to the Dual Shock people.

Many PC games have native 360 support and the button overlays are ALWAYS for 360 as it is with Dark Souls. You also have to use a third arty program with a dS3 to emulate a 360 controller. There is no reason to to DS3 unless you already own one and a bluetooth adapter.

I

For a game like this I prefer the DS3 but everyone should try both and decide.

Thanks for this mini guide, I actually killed everyone in the undead burg, including the
zombies with fire and never noticed there was someone in that room,
will have to go back now.

A lot of little things like that are generally marked by messages from other players. Sometimes you just get unlucky and there isn't one there. I would have never found him if it wasn't for a message. Same with a lot of the illusionary walls.

FtHTiny

Question: Is the shortcut to
lost Izalith worth 30 humanities? I'm in the covenant but haven't gave her any yet.

Many people say you skip the worst part of the whole game if you go with the shortcut. Also you can get an item
the hat with the lamp on it
which makes tomb of the giants a cakewalk.

Razek

Banned
Many people say you skip the worst part of the whole game if you go with the shortcut. Also you can get an item
the hat with the lamp on it
which makes tomb of the giants a cakewalk.

I'm doing it then. Can I still investigate the regular path even if I open it?

DS3 is superior in PC if only because the damn thing actually turns itself off after inactivity.

The 360 controller, you need to physically remove the batteries to turn it off if you are done playing games and start using your PC.

For a game like this I prefer the DS3 but everyone should try both and decide.

A lot of little things like that are generally marked by messages from other players. Sometimes you just get unlucky and there isn't one there. I would have never found him if it wasn't for a message. Same with a lot of the illusionary walls.

wat? I actually found messages mentioning fake walls and I thought they were jokes, how do break them? im sure i tried everything.

Razek

Banned
wat? I actually found messages mentioning fake walls and I thought they were jokes, how do break them? im sure i tried everything.

Just attack the wall with any attack. They are generally pretty easy to see once you find the message which gives the general location.

EasyMode

I vote wired 360 pad. It's just so convenient, not just for this game but most PC games these days. Plus it's nice having the correct button prompts.

goodfella

Alright, I convinced myself that I suck at this game because the keyboard sucks and I need to get a controller.

So Wii Classic, Xbox 360, PS3 DS3, or some other controller?

DS3 is better for this game, however, I would recommend getting a 360 controller as I think it works better with most other games.

Dylan

All illusory walls in the game disappear just by hitting them with your weapon. If they don't break, someone is just fucking with you.

is there some benefit to the morning star vs club I am missing? the club's strong attack jump closes the gap to the enemy and seems far preferable to a straight downward swing.

DS3 is superior in PC if only because the damn thing actually turns itself off after inactivity.

The 360 controller, you need to physically remove the batteries to turn it off if you are done playing games and start using your PC.

That is not a problem for the wired 360 pad. You also dont have to worry about drivers or ever charging it. Frthr record, though, the wireless 360 controller also turns itself off after a period of inactivity. Just not immediately.

Kyosukemox

Neo Member
Well for the arena ther is a bracket from 1-50 but i think it´s not very popular.
100 seems to be the new way to go for the most pvp-action.

Cool thanks! I'll probably role another toon then.. I really like coop'ing and helping people own 4kings and other end game bosses with my sl50 (pretty much solo all the bosses with ease.. currently in NG+++)

Probably won't take long to hit sl100 if I rush to NG++ and kill a few bosses for 1mil souls :3

Dylan

is there some benefit to the morning star vs club I am missing? the club's strong attack jump closes the gap to the enemy and seems far preferable to a straight downward swing.

General Dark Souls rule is to find a weapon-type you love and upgrade the living shit out of it.

EasyMode

The morning star does bleed damage. But it you prefer the club moveset, the Reinforced Club does bleed damage as well. The merchant in the Undead Burg sells it.

Grief.exe

Cool thanks! I'll probably role another toon then.. I really like coop'ing and helping people own 4kings and other end game bosses with my sl50 (pretty much solo all the bosses with ease.. currently in NG+++)

Probably won't take long to hit sl100 if I rush to NG++ and kill a few bosses for 1mil souls :3

I should have asked you when I was doing the 4 kings fight lol. That fight is a bitch.

That is not a problem for the wired 360 pad. You also dont have to worry about drivers or ever charging it. Frthr record, though, the wireless 360 controller also turns itself off after a period of inactivity. Just not immediately.

I guess if wired is an option then it is the better choice as it sounds like its hassle free.

But sometimes I use my controller to play games on my TV, and my PC is in the next room, so I need wireless, after my xbox 360 wireless dongle broke I moved to motionJoy and I love it.

robin2

Probably dumb questions but (never used gfwl before):

How do I change gfwl language to english?

How do I change the game language to english?

Tried googling but I didn't find a working answer.

Thanks

Probably dumb questions but (never used gfwl before):

How do I change gfwl language to english?

How do I change the game language to english?

Tried googling but I didn't find a working answer.

Thanks

You can change the Game Language with Durante's Fix.

GFWL language im not sure.

Finalow

so after the first boss of the new zones
I killed a mushroom near the bonfire, did I do something wrong? :( Because he seemed to be a friendly npc.

Sullichin

so after the first boss of the new zones
I killed a mushroom near the bonfire, did I do something wrong? :( Because he seemed to be a friendly npc.

You monster.
did you get anything for killing it (her)? She sells some items, all of Ooacile's spells, and provides some context as to why you're there with her dialogue

So, if I'm right before the last boss fight, but want to farm New Londo Ruins for a Titanite Slab, what's the most time it could take me?

I got TWO in one run and I wasn't even properly farming (just drained new londo, put on the serpent ring w/ 0 humanity, kill darkwraiths on my way back to firelink). Drop rates are definitely up from the console version.

Grief.exe

So, if I'm right before the last boss fight, but want to farm New Londo Ruins for a Titanite Slab, what's the most time it could take me?

From what people on here have been saying its a much higher drop rate over console.

I haven't seen any but I've been mostly working on parrying them and dueling while I'm down there.

I'm a first time player so I don't actually know, but I feel like if you can parry them, you can parry anything

It could take a while, or not at long at all. I'd say you'd probably be doing about 10-20 runs till you found one, at least. Have 10 humanity and serpent ring or it's not worth doing at all.

Did you complete the Siegmeyer questline?
You get a titanite slab as a reward from his daughter in Ash Lake

JVIDICAN

Ran into my first hacker yesterday.:L had an infinite health cheat activated. Kinda funny that it was also affecting all enemies in the area. I reported him, doubt anythings going to happen though.

Welp, playing the PS3 version. I gotta go pick up that ring. Funny thing is, I beat the Stray Demon, so I should have one, but I don't know what I did with it.

Akkad

Banned
Is the lightning Iaito still a good weapon or has it been nerfed? That and Quelaag's Furysword were my weapon of choice in the PS3 version.

Mupod

It's not so bad, the trickiest thing is running past all those drakes at the start since there's no bonfires in New Londo. Darkwraiths are super slow and you can probably just backstab them all easily, hell my BSS can usually poke them to death before they even do anything. I think there's exactly 10 in there, but I haven't had any luck with drops yet.

Only annoying part are those ghosts. Could probably avoid them but they keep grabbing me when I try to fight the last few darkwraiths, so I have to pop a transient curse every time.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but is there a way to increase the amount of Anti-Aliasing after using Durante's mod? I'm still getting an uncomfortable amount of jaggies at 1920x1080.

krishian

Has this been posted yet?
RPS - Wot I Think: Dark Souls PTD

It starts at the bottom of a watchtower, although it could start anywhere really, anywhere claustrophobic, contained and home to a fucking bastard knight thing bastard. I, playing the part of spear-wielding warrior-rogue Majolica, enter through a door and the fucking bastard knight thing bastard hits me with a chunk of metal so large and heavy that he rocks backwards as he raises it above his head. It flattens me and I am dead.

Looks like RPS doesn't particulary like our good friend Mr.Havel.

Eusis

Ran into my first hacker yesterday.:L had an infinite health cheat activated. Kinda funny that it was also affecting all enemies in the area. I reported him, doubt anythings going to happen though.
Yeah, I had a run in too I think. I did some insane figure for damage I shouldn't have been capable of at all, in the 5 digits, yet didn't see the bar budge at all. I just Alt+F4'd, wasn't interested in letting the bastard win.

Havel's a punk and he gives you an awesome ring. Don't let his crazy armor and enormous club scare you off. He's slow and basically begs you to backstab him after every attack.

Eusis

Havel's a punk and he gives you an awesome ring. Don't let his crazy armor and enormous club scare you off. He's slow and basically begs you to backstab him after every attack.
Yeah, it's well worth taking that ring. Can easily become a staple of everyone at least until they hit 40 endurance or whatever, and even then it's still useful depending on what sort of builds you're getting.

Finalow

yay, again. you're playing online but it's like playing offline mode, not a fucking something.
is it only me? I mean, yesterday was the same but it worked after some time.

EasyMode

Windows 7 64, GTX 560, 6 GB of RAM, quad core processor, not overclocked yet until I can upgrade my cooling system.

I just assumed it was a setting that I missed or something that I had to tool around in the .ini to fix.

You'll need Nvidia Inspector if don't already have it. And here's the post that shows how to enable AA and SSAO for Dark Souls:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41452645&postcount=2784

Although you might want to keep Ambient Occlusion off for performance reasons. 4xAA does the trick for me, looks great.

Edit: Oh, and you can also force FXAA in the control panel.

Top Bottom