• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Windows 7 64, GTX 560, 6 GB of RAM, quad core processor, not overclocked yet until I can upgrade my cooling system.

I just assumed it was a setting that I missed or something that I had to tool around in the .ini to fix.

I believe you can force MSAA for with Nvidia cards. You can also downsample from a higher resolution with DSFix. I can't help with the Nvidia specifics, though because I'm using an AMD card but if you ask about it in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240 there will be people who can help you with that.

sorcerer with 24 STR zweihander and tattered rags feels so awesome

its also fun putting some armor on and using a club - love how there are so many ways to play this game

Oh Havel, the enemy where I get naked to kill him. When I first got this game, I died, and died, and died to him - until I went naked. Now I can kill him my 1st try every time, but the watch tower feels so empty without him there.

yeah, one question I have - is it even worth it to have good armor if you have a decent shield? isnt the damage soaked by shield way more important than taking a hit with armor on? eg my shield says it absorbs 100% physical damage

mxgt

Banned
Son of a bitch, I accidentally killed all the monsters instead of leaving one alive for the last part of the
Siegmeyer
line. No slab for me.

Fuck Lost Izalith

Mupod

Son of a bitch, I accidentally killed all the monsters instead of leaving one alive for the last part of the
Siegmeyer
line. No slab for me.

Fuck Lost Izalith

I actually had read about this in passing but didn't realize until it was too late that they were talking about those enemies. Since everybody just called the enemies in question 'octopi' and Chaos Eaters don't look like any goddamn octopus I've ever seen.

So I guess I'm boned for that too. Oh well.

But yeah I'm still pissed that I got tons of slabs from the Great Hollow on 360 and absolutely nothing on PC.

EasyMode

yeah, one question I have - is it even worth it to have good armor if you have a decent shield? isnt the damage soaked by shield way more important than taking a hit with armor on? eg my shield says it absorbs 100% physical damage

Aside from the damage reduction, the other advantage of heavier armor is the Poise stat. The higher the poise, the less you will be interrupted by enemy attacks. For example, if an enemy hits you while you're attacking, normally you will stagger, but with high enough poise you'll take the damage and continue your attack.

But yeah, better to avoid the damage in the first place by rolling or blocking.

Zeliard

For newer players, just remember: the funnest way to farm for souls and humanity is to lay down some summon signs and help people beat bosses. It can be quite lucrative as well.

Jeramii

Banned
oooh man. i feel kinda bad. but i'm in the blade of the darkmoon covenant. i went to the new content and invaded about 15 games last night. failed on 3. two of them i got killed, and one i fell off an edge. but 4 of the games i invaded i kept ending up into this one guys game. the 5th time i ended up in his game he had some phantom helpers... they killed me. lol.

one game i went into was an absolute blast. it was a real good pvp (by invasion) match. he bowed to me. so i bowed to him. then we fought for about 6 minutes. he had to heal three times. but managed to kill me when he was down to just a sliver of health.

when multiplayer works, i fucking love this game more than words can say. when multiplayer doesn't work i still love it. but not quite as much.

B6yck.jpg

One from yesterday.

Aside from the damage reduction, the other advantage of heavier armor is the Poise stat. The higher the poise, the less you will be interrupted by enemy attacks. For example, if an enemy hits you while you're attacking, normally you will stagger, but with high enough poise you'll take the damage and continue your attack.

But yeah, better to avoid the damage in the first place by rolling or blocking.

Oh interesting

yeah I noticed those annoying little 20 soul undeads are REALLY annoying in large numbers thanks to the interrupts

If you are exceptionally good at avoiding getting hit, ie: roll out of the way when needed, only attack when there is low/no risk of a counter-attack/etc, then you could get away with a big shield and no Armour.

For me though, seems like no matter how hard I try - hits still land now and then, and having some extra protection helps.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm running out of patients trying to deal with artorias.
I've tried every type of armor, rings,fully upgraded pyro glove and fully upgraded fire and lighting weapons.
Even watched the epic name bro fights for tips.
man, haven't felt this frustrated since the flamelurker and even he was nothing once you had the right armor and lots of health.
I cant even comprehend this fight in ng+.
[/rant]

Ok, I finally did it.

SL-68
Flask plus 3 - 10 uses

Armor and equipment:
  • Havel armor set
  • +5 fully upgraded lighting Zweihander
  • +5 maxed pyro glove
  • Grass Crest Shield

spells:
  • Great Fireball
  • Great Combustion
  • Great Chaos Fireball
  • Iron Flesh

rings:
  • Ring of Steel Protection
  • Wolf Ring

I hope that info helps someone in need.
They already got naked , no health use boss fights vs. Artorias on youtube. But dude was dealing 400 per hit though which made it easier for him.

Raide

Pay-day tomorrow...still on the fence on this one. My main issue is Borderlands 2 coming out in a few weeks and I know I will play loads of that. My need for loot is pretty high, so I wonder if I can juggle both games and be happy. :D

Zeliard

Oh interesting

yeah I noticed those annoying little 20 soul undeads are REALLY annoying in large numbers thanks to the interrupts

Outside of poise, relying solely on blocking can be risky. In some parts of the game enemies have elemental attacks that can pass through your shield, as well as physical attacks so powerful that they can drain your entire stamina bar and then hit your health even if you have a 100% phys defense shield.

Practice roll-dodging; it can be a life-saver.

Serra

Trying to
cut off Kalameets tail
, this is really hard. It seems to require more than a swing or two to get it off. My black knight greataxe also had trouble hitting it :D

mxgt

Banned
Trying to
cut off Kalameets tail
, this is really hard. It seems to require more than a swing or two to get it off. My black knight greataxe also had trouble hitting it :D

Best way to do it I found is wait for him to go in the air and dive towards you, roll out of the way and try to run under his tail so he slams it to the ground and then you can get 1 or 2 hits in

He doesn't do it every time, it's down to luck I guess but that's how I did it. Took me about 2 hours to find the right strategy and execute it correctly.

And I've barely used the weapon it drops
KuGsj.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat the game, took about 25-26 hours to do everything I could find + the DLC dungeon.

Barring a couple of weak areas it was a really fantastic game. I definitely want to run through again I just don't know if I want to do NG+ or roll a new dude.

Midou

I just don't know if I want to do NG+ or roll a new dude.

This was my struggle when I was first playing it, I would recommend some new builds first, it's a lot more exciting to play in a new way than to improve on an existing build. The NG+ serves as a good challenge though.

Zeliard

Depends on the character build but in general this.

For a block-heavy build, main a shield that you can upgrade to high stability, as that will reduce the amount of stamina you lose per hit.

And keep other shields around that have high elemental defenses, i.e. the Crest Shield (85% magic resistance) and the Dragon Crest Shield (85% Fire resistance). If you can snag a Black Knight Shield, that one has 95% Fire resistance, and just use those when it'd be appropriate.

Funner to dodge-roll and evade hits like a boss, though. ;)

Serra

Best way to do it I found is wait for him to go in the air and dive towards you, roll out of the way and try to run under his tail so he slams it to the ground and then you can get 1 or 2 hits in

He doesn't do it every time, it's down to luck I guess but that's how I did it. Took me about 2 hours to find the right strategy and execute it correctly.

And I've barely used the weapon it drops
KuGsj.gif

Hehe, yeah. I used that same strategy and finally succeeded. Honestly I think I will never use that weapon. But now I have the hard task of actually killing him.

edit: five more (after getting his tail off) tries later and he is still totally kicking my butt.

Rich!

Right, I need help - because sooner or later, I'm gonna fucking lose it.

I've installed the game fine. All is working...APART from my 360 controller. Works fine on every game, and when Dark Souls is running, the Windows for Live header pops up when I hit the guide button and I can scroll through and access the GFWL settings on the 360 pad just fine. However, the game itself does not respond to the controller at all.

Keyboard and mouse works fine, but like hell am I playing through Dark Souls with that. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with it? GAHHHHHHHHHH

edit: oh well fuck me, I had to uninstall ALL my other controllers (gamecube/wii remote/ps3) to get it working. how fucking shit.

EasyMode

I've installed the game fine. All is working...APART from my 360 controller. Works fine on every game, and when Dark Souls is running, the Windows for Live header pops up when I hit the guide button and I can scroll through and access the GFWL settings on the 360 pad just fine. However, the game itself does not respond to the controller at all.

Keyboard and mouse works fine, but like hell am I playing through Dark Souls with that. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with it? GAHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: Nevermind, I see you've figured it out.

*Issue solved, never mind..=p*

------

Oh, and I also wanted to posted this odd display error I got while grinding. This is a late area game spoiler, so I'll link it: http://i.imgur.com/ZoRBJ.jpg

Weird huh?

Kyosukemox

Neo Member
Just beat the game, took about 25-26 hours to do everything I could find + the DLC dungeon.

Barring a couple of weak areas it was a really fantastic game. I definitely want to run through again I just don't know if I want to do NG+ or roll a new dude.

NG+ is as easy as the first playthrough, I think the monsters adjust again at NG+++ then things start to get interesting! Currently sl50 NG+++ going to go attempt to beat Orstein and Smough... kinda sucks cuz all the peeps I summon are my sl range and stand no chance against the trash mobs alone... :(

Going to roll another toon for sl100 pvp also tonight

Grief.exe

Someone posted a video earlier today on how to parry but I can't seem to find it. Can someone post the link?

Edit: nvm it was back stab guide I wanted should be able to find it now

Edit: wow still not finding it

psy18

For titanites just farm darkwraiths in new londo.

I just did a 2 hour run and got 80 titanite chunks + 2 titanite slabs + 13k soul per run

4 humanties + item find ring (item find 379)

mxgt

Banned
I have never gotten a slab from dark wraiths, ever. and I have farmed them for hours and hours across multiple chars.

feels bad

I have never gotten a slab from dark wraiths, ever. and I have farmed them for hours and hours across multiple chars.

feels bad

Yup I spent hours on the 360 version with the ring that boosts item find and humanity at the highest amount that affects item loot drop and I found 1 in about 5-10 hours play time.

Eusis

I got lucky and found one in an early run when I just wanted to get chunks. Blew it on an Iaito to get it to +15 and it's become one of my staples!

Though this was balanced out by me getting unlucky, PREPARING the bit in Lost Izalith for
Siegmeyer's questline, only for a full health one to catch me, kill me, and when I return he ends up dying when I talk to him. Not sure if he would've been at enough health or not had I not been unlucky there.

feels bad

I imagine that you know that they only drop slabs if you haven't killed the area boss. I got one from them in my first/only run.

Got a trade request: If anyone isn't using their
Gold Tracer
, could I have it? Want to do a dual wielding thing but I don't really want to have to go all the way through NG+ to get two.

I'm SL63, if anyone is willing to trade or give me one let me know. If you want a trade let me know what you need and I'll see if I can get it.

psy18

The quickest route I found to farm darkwraiths in new Londo is

Start from fire link shrine -> take elevator downstairs-> when elevator arrive at the bottom, step on the switch again and immediately exit so the elevator goes back up for your next run -> run across the wooden bridge to the area you first encounter the ghosts-> go to the right edge and drop to platform below

This immediately puts you into darkwraith area

1 near the pool
1 at the end of narrow hidden path
1 at the area behind the well
4 at the building with wooden stables(1 is near the entrance where the fog was)
2 at the elevated building with stairs (watch out for ghosts. Lure the darkwraiths to the stairs and ghost won't follow)
1 hides behind the building (don't fight him there you'll be swarmed by ghosts. Lure him by dropping down to the dragon valley gate. Ghost won't follow)
Last one will come after you by just walking in the dragon valley gate area.

Took me about 10 minutes per run with fully upgraded weapon.

Hope that helps

mxgt

Banned
The quickest route I found to farm darkwraiths in new Londo is

Start from fire link shrine -> take elevator downstairs-> when elevator arrive at the bottom, step on the switch again and immediately exit so the elevator goes back up for your next run -> run across the wooden bridge to the area you first encounter the ghosts-> go to the right edge and drop to platform below

This immediately puts you into darkwraith area

1 near the pool
1 at the end of narrow hidden path
1 at the area behind the well
4 at the building with wooden stables(1 is near the entrance where the fog was)
2 at the elevated building with stairs (watch out for ghosts. Lure the darkwraiths to the stairs and ghost won't follow)
1 hides behind the building (don't fight him there you'll be swarmed by ghosts. Lure him by dropping down near the gate to dragon valley. Ghost won't follow)
Last one will come after you by just walking in the dragon valley gate area.

Took me about 10 minutes per run with fully upgraded weapon.

Hope that helps

I do it a bit differently.

I go from the Bonfire that's located between the Valley of Drakes and Darkroot Basin.

Go down elevator, run past the drakes dodging the lightning and then wipe out all the dark wraiths and homeward bone back. I find the run there quicker this way.

I got lucky and found one in an early run when I just wanted to get chunks. Blew it on an Iaito to get it to +15 and it's become one of my staples!

Though this was balanced out by me getting unlucky, PREPARING the bit in Lost Izalith for
Siegmeyer's questline, only for a full health one to catch me, kill me, and when I return he ends up dying when I talk to him. Not sure if he would've been at enough health or not had I not been unlucky there.

For what you have referred to in the spoiler tags, I actually have a tip, if you would like!

What I have done, always from the beginning is talk to him the first time to wake him up, but before he volunteers to fight the guys by talking to him a second time, I usually arrow, OR magic the Chaos eaters below a bit. I kill three out of the five there, damage one I can reach to very low health, and place the Iron ring on and as soon as he jumps down, RUSH the last guy!

My tips for these guys, especially with only those two left, strafe, then attack. If all goes well, he'll easily defeat the one you damaged, and he'll give you the credit. I have never messed this up, except the last time on the PC-version when I stupidly did a wide swing attack that aggroed him, and he attacked me. No worries, I got that useless ring, AND two slabs from the Darkwraiths!

Hope that helps! Yeah, fighting five Chaos Eaters is crazy...

Anyone have advice on getting multiplayer to work? I've tried everything, and still get non-stop summoning failed messages (although seems like I can get invaded and summoned by others no problem).

I've tried being in the DMZ on my router / disable windows fire-wall, GFWL is saying NAT: Open, and still get failed after failed after failed message.

I've also tried connecting directly to my modem and not going through a router and still have issues.

I also noticed that my DSL Modem has a DMZ setting - so tried using that also, no luck either... the summon failed issues are spoiling an otherwise awesome gaming experience.

Top Bottom