• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Yo Gotti

Banned
Alright...I can't decide.

I need weapon/shield suggestions to go along with the Elite Knight set for end game.

Silver Knight Shield
Black Knight Shield
Black Knight Sword
And my latest love, the Silver Knight Straight Sword. High base damage and buffable by magic.
Any of those at +5 are beast.

Sunlight Straight Sword is one of the best straight sword in the game
Claymore
Greatsword
Balder Side Sword is fun as hell to use
Great Axe

I'm also a huge fan of the Golem Axe, it's not the strongest weapon but it's hardly weak for a light axe, and the 1H R2 is one of the sweetest in the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Silver Knight Shield
Black Knight Shield
Black Knight Sword
And my latest love, the Silver Knight Straight Sword. High base damage and buffable by magic.
Any of those at +5 are beast.

Sunlight Straight Sword is one of the best straight sword in the game
Claymore
Greatsword
Balder Side Sword is fun as hell to use
Great Axe

I'm also a huge fan of the Golem Axe, it's not the strongest weapon but it's hardly weak for a light axe, and the 1H R2 is one of the sweetest in the game.

Hmmm Silver Knight Straight Sword and Silver Knight Shield would be pretty cool.

I'm at the top of Sen's Fortress now, so I could probably try farming for the Balder Side Sword.

As for the Sunlight Straight Sword...I'm really interested in this one. I have to kill Solaire though? Any big consequences to this?

Sarcasm

I am using the drake sword and a hollow shield that I upgraded to +2...since I don't fully understand items in this game

what is the logical replacements?

This is my third play through and I end up making the exact same character and leveling path. Gotta try something new.

Zeliard

This is my third play through and I end up making the exact same character and leveling path. Gotta try something new.

I've only gone pure melee in Souls games (with no more than a Heal miracle as far as magic), but I've been dabbling in Pyromancy and Miracles with this build. It's fun stuffs and supplements melee well. Pyro is especially attractive to me since it requires no stat investment.

KSai

All I know is every boss in the new content takes around half damage from my sunbro lightning. So I'd say that means they resist elemental. My BSS +15 had no trouble.

The first new DLC boss also has good resistance against magic. Velka's Rapier and Great Soul Arrow do pitiful damage. I don't think my Velka swordsman can beat him at level 36. Of course my STR build character with the Demon's Great Hammer just plows through him and Artorias.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I am using the drake sword and a hollow shield that I upgraded to +2...since I don't fully understand items in this game

what is the logical replacements?

Depends on the type of sword you might want to use later. Slashing swords, stabbing swords, greatswords, etc.

With a DEX build I'm really enjoying the rapier class weapons. They may not pack the punch of the drake sword but the unique movesets they offer keep things interesting. I've had a lot better luck beating back invaders with them. Since so many players go for the giant weapons I don't think as many know how to fight against thrusting swords.

UGH.

Fuck the Capra Demon. Seriously.
Those fucking dogs ruin everything. WHY AM I STUCK JESUS CHRIST. *spams L1 to use Force on the dogs, gets hit by Capra Demon*

FUCK.

*takes a deep breath*

Let's do this shit once more.

EDIT: I did it! Yessss.
And it leads nowehere... all that despair for no new path that I can see </3

Tilian

Banned
UGH.

Fuck the Capra Demon. Seriously.
Those fucking dogs ruin everything. WHY AM I STUCK JESUS CHRIST. *spams L1 to use Force on the dogs, gets hit by Capra Demon*

FUCK.

*takes a deep breath*

Let's do this shit once more.

EDIT: I did it! Yessss.
And it leads nowehere... all that despair for no new path that I can see </3

You got a special key now from that fight. Check your inventory.

TheExodu5

Banned
Awww yeah

baldurget.png

FtHTiny

Ok, whats the deal with the ring that drops after defeating the dlc dragon.
You receive double damage? Has someone tested this, is it just a challenge or something?

Yeah, getting
Gough and Ciaran's armor is pretty depressing. Really wish there were alternate ways of getting 'em.

Not Chester's, though. Jerk had it coming for invading me.

I agree I hated that guy. Those knives he used, I WISH we could have got an equivalent!

Also, I have no idea how you guys would be able to do
Ornstein and Smough
without a phantom. I mean, FUCK, that was hard.
It is doable...even all the way up to New Game++++++! The secret I do? Lock-on switch, and just backing up, and ONLY rolling away from power attacks. Oh, and the pillars help too! I find killing fatty first the hardest with a co-op partner..=/

I really dislike any area where I have to run and fight a lot of dudes from the bonfire to the boss. Having to go from Dukes Archives to the Crystal Caves and then try to cut off Seaths tail, get cursed and die.

Then do it all over again :(
If you have the Dingy or Dusk set, use the bottoms, as they have some of the best curse protection in the game! I'll also give you a great tip on how to easily get access to the tail almost everytime!

Spoilers:
when you first enter the cave, just RUN to the back near the Crystal...and wait. That's it wait! Eventually, Seath will do a blast attacks either straight towards, or in an arch towards you, that is when you run towards the back!.

About half way along your run, his attack will destroy his precious Crystal, and guess what? You'll be right near the tail and by all means DOUBLE-HAND attack the mother fucker! Especially with a Lightning weapon!

If you ever need help with that fight, hit me up. I probably cannot be summoned as I am near level 92 in New Game + already, but I can find a video that shows the strategy I outlined above.

Man, I have died more times to Kalameet than to Magnus amd I still haven't kill the damn dragon. I always try to keep a close range of it beacuse I don't wanna get hit by it's black fire and flash sweat doesn't work but the damn thing always hover fire to reset the distance. This is pissing me off bad.

The secret on how I beat him, was when he did that, I rolled back twice, and ran only a bit further. I then locked-on again, and if I was lucky, he would often do a sweep-down attack, which I would then go for his tail cut. Avoiding that fire comes to two things: Good stamina management (as the black flame eats away at stamina, so I often just back up instead of roll). OR, if you are like me, use the Stamina ring/green blossums, and don't worry about management.

Even if your attacks are weak, keep at it, he is a fun, and I found very fair fight. I initially co-oped with someone who stayed up top and used the Great Bow on the dragon, but, the downside was the dragon eventually figured him out, and blew fire at him...=/

Still was a fun fight...=p

You got a special key now from that fight. Check your inventory.
Yeah, I missed it in my haste to post on GAF about the victory, but luckily checked the door anyway, even though I "knew" it wouldn't open... but it did! Sometimes bad habits can save you.

Good luck braving the Depths!
Haha. I actually turned it off after I reached the first
corpse you could pillage and got some blob monster on me. Couldn't get it off, but I'm eager for a round 2. I'm kind of happy I called something like that would happen to me... but I still went for it anyway ;(

Haha. I actually turned it off after I reached the first
corpse you could pillage and got some blob monster on me. Couldn't get it off, but I'm eager for a round 2. I'm kind of happy I called something like that would happen to me... but I still went for it anyway ;(

The Depths are actually a lot of fun once you get over the initial apprehension.

Just don't croak while your down there.

That is a hilarious joke you will get soon enough.

teehee *.*

Totakeke

Well FML, made an hour trip to the nearest place that had the 360 wired controller, came back and found that the LB button is broken. Screw you Microsoft.

didamangi

Going to take a break. Havel physics defying swings are making me bit frustrated and thus in return I am gettin bored.

I want to be able to change direction to 180 mid swing. Last time though I think my roll button got stuck and than I got stuck in the stairs lol.

Lighten your equipment load to <25% for fastest movement and roll when his downward swings are about halfway down, backstab and you're golden :)

So what do I do after Manus? The girl there wouldn't say anything and that stupid mushroom won't say anything other than "struggling, are we? ho ho ho". Then when I warp back to where the girl was, she's gone.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I agree I hated that guy. Those knives he used, I WISH we could have got an equivalent!

Those are actually
roses that he throws in a fan pattern. Throwing roses that cause Bleed damage.

Dude's the most stylin' Darkwraith ever. Kirk could learn a thing or two from him.

Antagon

Does anyone know if there's a dupe bug in the ps3 version? Just got helped by a phantom that dropped a ridiculous amount of items for me to have, including 5 of every boss soul, 10 greater hero souls, at least 10 of every sort of titanite slap, etc.

Dropped pretty much everything again afterwards, don't want to ruin my game.

Zeliard

Oh dear, I had totally forgotten about this.

Accidentally hit Quelana when setting my controller down, went to absolve my sins, came back and a shiny soul was waiting for me. Forgot that the idiot decides to traipse around the poisonous swamp until she dies.

Le sigh. And I was actually getting into pyromancy. Oh wells.

robin2

-How do I know if a weapon uses strenght or dexterity? I keeep rising both of them but I understand you have to chose one.... hum
-Does augmenting dexterity improve my attack speed and rolling speed (it doesn't seem so but I'm not sure)?
-Weapon damage/ Armor protection decrease together with durability, or the object works normally until the durability is 0 and then in breaks/becomes disabled?

Thanks.

Antagon

-How do I understand if a weapon uses strenght or dexterity? I keeep rising both of them but I understand you have to chose one.... hum
-Does augmenting dexterity improve my attack speed and rolling speed (it doesn't seem so but I'm not sure)?
-Weapon damage/ Armor protection decrease together with durability, or the object works normally until the durability is 0 and then in breaks/becomes disabled?

Thanks.

If you look at weapon stats you can see the param bonus. The left most is strength, the second dex, third int and fourth faith. S means it scales the best, followed by A. E is the lowest, if the field is empty it means it doesn't scale with that stat at all.

Tilian

Banned
So what do I do after Manus? The girl there wouldn't say anything and that stupid mushroom won't say anything other than "struggling, are we? ho ho ho". Then when I warp back to where the girl was, she's gone.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out.
I found Dusk back at the Hydra lake. Is that what you mean? Not sure if this is it.

Completely LOST in the Catacombs, too scared to sit at the second bonfire as I've killed everything in the level, including
Pinwheel

Oh except that massive
Titanite Demon
that I just refuse to engage with.

Where the hell do I go now?!

mxgt

Banned
Completely LOST in the Catacombs, too scared to sit at the second bonfire as I've killed everything in the level, including
Pinwheel

Oh except that massive
Titanite Demon

There's a ladder in
Pinwheel's
room that leads to
Tomb of the Giants

You might want to take a
light source
with you though.

There's a ladder in
Pinwheel's
room that leads to
Tomb of the Giants

You might want to take a
light source
with you though.

Seriously? I went around that room twice and didn't see anything... Fuck.

Oh well, at least I can just run back without engaging with anything *.*

(My first kill in the Catacombs dropped one of those skull/lantern things!)

Thanks!

Eusis

Accidentally hit Quelana when setting my controller down, went to absolve my sins, came back and a shiny soul was waiting for me. Forgot that the idiot decides to traipse around the poisonous swamp until she dies.
It's why I always immediately slammed my system off for Demon's Souls whenever I accidentally hit anyone. One exception was due to an invasion, that kinda spoiled NG+. Dunno if Dark Souls took any guards against that though, but I guess absolving DOES address it when the characters aren't dumb and going to get themselves killed anyway.

Ledsen

FUCK this
golden-armoured bitch-ass fool
. I WILL parry you to death I fucking WILL it only takes like 5-6 parries GODDAMN I will do it

NBtoaster

Pinwheel

Oh except that massive
Titanite Demon

Theres a ladder where you fought the boss to the next area.

Do not go further unless you have the lordvessel.

edit: beaten

Tilian

Banned
Seriously? I went around that room twice and didn't see anything... Fuck.

Oh well, at least I can just run back without engaging with anything *.*

(My first kill in the Catacombs dropped one of those skull/lantern things!)

Thanks!

Try to make it to the first bonfire after Pinwheel. Then you can warp in and out and not have to run through everything again.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I said no to the cat lady in the Darkroot Forest. I shouldn't have, should I?

Anyways, doing pretty good with my Iaito+5 and full elite knight armor, though I've just lost 22k souls T_T

mxgt

Banned
Well, I'm fucked.

I'm on NG+ and just
killed Ingward
to get the key to lower the water because I don't have the lordvessel yet. He didn't drop it, I tried reloading the game and it's not in the chest in Firelink either.

Pretty major bug here, it's destroyed my save and I can't progress unless I put the item on my char myself by some kind of 3rd party program.

Fuck sake.

dsk1210

Well, I'm fucked.

I'm on NG+ and just
killed Ingward
to get the key to lower the water because I don't have the lordvessel yet. He didn't drop it, I tried reloading the game and it's not in the chest in Firelink either.

Pretty major bug here, it's destroyed my save and I can't progress unless I put the item on my char myself by some kind of 3rd party program.

Fuck sake.

That's a sore one. :-(

Something similar happened to me with the helm that the mecha boar drops in undead parish, I picked it up, and somehow it has just disappeared, not a game breaking bug like yours, buy disappointing none the less.

mxgt

Banned
Just used a hex editor and changed the starting cell key to the key I needed

Bug needs fixing, it's game-breaking if you don't use a program to fix it.

Zeliard

They seem to have patched a lot of stuff to automatically go into your inventory in case something unusual happens with the enemy. It sucks that one that serious has slipped through.

I killed him earlier before the lordvessel; I wonder what triggers the error.

Zzoram

Is it really a bug? Can you not progress without it even after getting the Lord Vessel? Maybe getting the Lord Vessel would've caused the key to spawn where he died?

Top Bottom