• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

mxgt

Banned
Is it really a bug? Can you not progress without it even after getting the Lord Vessel? Maybe getting the Lord Vessel would've caused the key to spawn where he died?

Nope, even with the lordvessel you need to talk to him to get the key

Him dead and no seal drop = can't progress in the game past a certain point, so it's definitely a game breaking bug.

NBtoaster

Is it really a bug? Can you not progress without it even after getting the Lord Vessel? Maybe getting the Lord Vessel would've caused the key to spawn where he died?

Important lost/forgotten items usually appear at Firelink in the opened chest behind Frampt.

Zeliard

I'm more partial towards the Crimson Robe/Xanthous Waistcloth extravaganza.

Right now I'm generally using a Golem Helm, Eastern Armor (+5), Wanderer Manchette (+9) and Crimson Waistcloth (+5). My dude is murdering things with style, plus that combo has some good resists going.

Kind of hard to resist not strutting around at all times with the Xanthous Crown, though. Sometimes I replace the Golem Helm with Mask of the Child, which also goes well with the rest, and I think freaks out some of the newer people I help Quelaag out with.

Right now I'm generally using a Golem Helm, Eastern Armor (+5), Wanderer Manchette (+9) and Crimson Waistcloth (+5). My dude is murdering things with style, plus that combo has some good resists going.

Kind of hard to resist not strutting around at all times with the Xanthous Crown, though. Sometimes I replace the Golem Helm with Mask of the Child, which also goes well with the rest, and I think freaks out some of the newer people I help Quelaag out with.

Ooooh, I'm also using the Wanderer Manchette! Are you a Pyromancer?

I feel incredibly thick, but I forgot you could upgrade armour... I haven't upgraded any ;_;

Zeliard

Ooooh, I'm also using the Wanderer Manchette! Are you a Pyromancer?

I feel incredibly thick, but I forgot you could upgrade armour... I haven't upgraded any ;_;

Nope, I started with Thief.

I just picked up the Wanderer set in Blighttown early in the game and the Manchette in particular has pretty damn good resists on it, so I've used it for almost the entire game.

Also using the Balder Shield (the ones those caped knights in Undead Parish wield). It just looks boss and has solid stability.

Finalow

I'm at the final boss, going to start ng+ soon but I want to kill that black dragon first. :0 I still didn't find the key and I think I have to talk with that guy first.

1 more question, regarding the retail version. Internet connection required for activation at all ? Anything like that ? Moving house today so will be without the internet for awhile.

Edit - Oh also, save game corruption ..... whats the dealio here, is this something people are causing for themselves by quitting mid-game (Alt+F4) or does the game have a bug ?

Taruranto

Does the arena work at all? I mean, the concept seem cool, but with all the connection issues...

Anyway, the DLC areas are cool as fuck. The mobs may agro me from 20 meters away, but i got tons of co-ops and invasions.

robin2

There is something that isn't clear for me: do I need to farm levels to be able to tackle the stronger monsters (bosses that is), or it is useless because they scale their stats accordingly?

I'm asking because I got to the gargoyle on the roof and I can't even touch it (and it is still alone). Still haven't tried alternative tactics (just went melee with different -fast/slow- weapons setups) but the difference in power is so big that I doubt any side approach would work anyway.

Mafro

What's the recommended soul level for the Four Kings? I'm in human form and not seeing any summon signs at all, last night when I did every single one of the summons failed. Getting really fed up of the poor online in this compared to Demon's Souls.

NBtoaster

What's the recommended soul level for the Four Kings? I'm in human form and not seeing any summon signs at all, last night when I did every single one of the summons failed. Getting really fed up of the poor online in this compared to Demon's Souls.

Around 50-70.

There is something that isn't clear for me: do I need to farm levels to be able to tackle the stronger monsters (bosses that is), or it is useless because they scale their stats accordingly?

I'm asking because I got to the gargoyle on the roof and I can't even touch it (and it is still alone). Still haven't tried alternative tactics (just went melee with different -fast/slow- weapons setups) but the difference in power is so big that I doubt any side approach would work anyway.

No enemies scale. There are two NPCs you can summon to help you for that fight if you're really stuck, if you've found them and you're in human form (or online players).

Enemies do not scale, but the higher your level, the higher the level of the people that can invade you, as well as the people who you can summon. If you're too high level for an area you're not likely to find any help.

Zeth

AFAIK none of the bosses scale at all (they just get stronger in NG). A lot of them can be done at very low level, it's all about learning their attacks/patterns. More dmg output will kill them faster and more HP will keep you alive longer. Simplest way to look at it I guess.

Rich!

Oh my god

Couldn't beat the golem knight thing in the woods, so I let my girlfriend try.

She beat it. Oh man do I feel stupid

goodfella

Just beat
the chaos witch Quelaag
and spent too long looking for this 'amazing chest'.

The game has been fairly straight forward in terms of where to go, has it now opened up? Or is there still an advisable path to take after ringing both the bells?

Jintor

This game is fascinating. Blighttown is just this warren of insanity. Keeping the 3D map in my brain is starting to strain my head.

Sarcasm

lol check this out.

Still trying to take the havel dude out. On top of him able to do 180s mid swing..I got glitched this time around.

He power ups..I roll and I am directly behind me..this time he doesn't do 180 but hes the ground where I was when I was in front of him. And..I die.

So this time around he didn't reverse mid swing nor did he actually animation wise hit me.

[i see him hit here where I was a couple seconds ago] [havel] [me]

^ thats how it was. lol....the weapon fighting in this game is good but I wouldn't call it hard..its just lolrapeface if you mess up. (or have some weird animation).

You don't need to farm anything to beat anything in Dark Souls. You had the capability to kill those gargoyles first try with no summons.

Mupod

lol check this out.

Still trying to take the havel dude out. On top of him able to do 180s mid swing..I got glitched this time around.

He power ups..I roll and I am directly behind me..this time he doesn't do 180 but hes the ground where I was when I was in front of him. And..I die.

So this time around he didn't reverse mid swing nor did he actually animation wise hit me.

^ thats how it was. lol....the weapon fighting in this game is good but I wouldn't call it hard..its just lolrapeface if you mess up. (or have some weird animation).

You just need to wait until the last moment and dodge, no fancy techniques needed. It'll still take a death or five to get the timing down. Make sure you're nekkid, because at that level he'll one shot you no matter what you're wearing.

Grief.exe

Just beat
the chaos witch Quelaag
and spent too long looking for this 'amazing chest'.

The game has been fairly straight forward in terms of where to go, has it now opened up? Or is there still an advisable path to take after ringing both the bells?

I just cracked up so hard lol.

you want to go to sens fortress for the main quest, its that place with the closed gate that is next to the blacksmith in undead parish.

If you want you can go to dark root basin and garden. They are in your level range as well. Also next to the blacksmith.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
lol check this out.

you are gonna be so goddamn ecstatic when you finally take him down. And that's Dark Souls right there.

Sarcasm

I am not getting hit be rolling during powerup. I am waiting. He powers up..I wait..than as he swings I roll behind him. SO hes facing away from me..every time. He changes direction by 180 after I am rolling as he is already swinging. But before my previous attempt he didn't swing but hit empty ground on opposite side of me..but I still died.

I beat his ass. But that is cause he glitched in my favor this time. By just standing there doing nothing for 5 minutes.

*this game lol

I am not getting hit be rolling during powerup. I am waiting. He powers up..I wait..than as he swings I roll behind him. SO hes facing away from me..every time. He changes direction by 180 after I am rolling as he is already swinging. But before my previous attempt he didn't swing but hit empty ground on opposite side of me..but I still died.

I beat his ass. But that is cause he glitched in my favor this time. By just standing there doing nothing for 5 minutes.

*this game lol
I beat him in a really cheap way pretty early by
bringing him up the tower to his leash point then throwing 3 or 4 poison throwing knifes to poison him and watch as his health just drains away
I just really wanted his ring because I feel really slow if Im not fast rolling :/

Sarcasm

I have the ring of havel and the one from gold knight which I obtain easily..boost hp end and load...

I have a load of 38.6/108..which I believe is 34% but I dont' seem to be too slow.

I just raped capra on my first try..by brute force Oo.....

Now where do I go??? lol I already rang the first bell too.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I have the ring of havel and the one from gold knight which I obtain easily..boost hp end and load...

I have a load of 38.6/108..which I believe is 34% but I dont' seem to be too slow.

use the key the capra gave you and head to the depths

Mupod

if you want to roll fast, get down under 25%. Otherwise feel free to bring it all the way up to 50% because your rolling won't change until then. If you're not a magic user then you could just equip secondary weapons or a second shield (switching between two shields with different resistances can be handy).

Gvaz

Banned
Took some shots from Ash Lake. Coolest and the most haunting location of the game. Pics are linked so no one gets spoiled.

I haven't yet been to ash lake yet and I clicked all those links.

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

Taruranto

If someone has problem getting/couldn't get
Kalameet's
sword he just dropped it to me and i can't use it, i'd gladly give it away.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, news is out today that Dark Souls PC does not have a proper stereo downmix. As a result, if you're playing in stereo, you're missing a ton of ambient sounds. See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1ZBwB7Ghs

As for a solution:
My onboard Realtek 889 can downmix.

Click Configure:
downmix1.png

Select the 5.1 setup:
downmix2.png

Unselect all optional speakers:
downmix3.png

To test it out, simply click on Configure again and hit the test button. You should hear the center and surround channels.

Finalow

any good mage build? I'm not sure about the armor, Orn's one is nice but can't be upgraded.
btw I have like 50 humanity (items), are they carried in ng+ right. I don't remember so I want to be sure.

Gvaz

Banned
My buddy is now interested in buying the game after all this hype and fixes to the graphics, what's the absolute lowest price he can get it for?

wutwutwut

Spent 5 humanity and 2 gold pine resin trying to defeat
Gaping Dragon
-- kept spawning people and NPCs, didn't work.

Then I solo'd the fuck out of it.

dsk1210

Is anybody working on a high res texture mod?

Game would really shine with some of the n64 textures replaced, some of the textures are fine, some are appalling , love this game though. :)

So I have one small tip for fighting the Capra Demon - turn off auto toggle for lock-on. I found that between him and the dogs in such a small space, the camera really went crazy and auto toggle was contributing to it a bit. Turning it off made it easier to deal with and I beat him handily on my next attempt.

ArjanN

So I have one small tip for fighting the Capra Demon - turn off auto toggle for lock-on. I found that between him and the dogs in such a small space, the camera really went crazy and auto toggle was contributing to it a bit. Turning it off made it easier to deal with and I beat him handily on my next attempt.

I beat him last night and see what people were complaining about. :p Seems mostly luck based if the dogs get in your way at first. If you manage to run up the stairs and kill the dogs the capra demon itself is easily outmanouvered.

Top Bottom