• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

So I have one small tip for fighting the Capra Demon - turn off auto toggle for lock-on. I found that between him and the dogs in such a small space, the camera really went crazy and auto toggle was contributing to it a bit. Turning it off made it easier to deal with and I beat him handily on my next attempt.

yeah thats what drove me crazy about that fight, it was very confusing

Ledsen

I summoned a guy to help me kill the gargoyles and it felt like cheating :( he basically one-shotted them by shooting lightning or something... are you not supposed to do this on your first playthrough?

Ridley327

I summoned a guy to help me kill the gargoyles and it felt like cheating :( he basically one-shotted them by shooting lightning or something... are you not supposed to do this on your first playthrough?

It's entirely up to you how you want to approach the boss fights, but you would certainly learn a lot more about how a boss operates by doing it yourself then watching someone else obliterate them. That being said, having one other person sure makes it a lot easier to cut tails off.

gl1tch

Neo Member
My buddy is now interested in buying the game after all this hype and fixes to the graphics, what's the absolute lowest price he can get it for?

Probably GMG 25% off with this code "GMG25-LABOR-DAYGO" valid only from 1100 UTC September 2nd to 1100 UTC September 4th.

Amazon might have a deal for it during Labor Day but I haven't seen it yet (Prepare to Die Edition; the PS360 versions are 39/38% off ~USD25).

pringles

Been wondering: do you get all the souls from an invading player you kill?

Example:

I have 400k souls and invade someone. They kill me. Do they receive 400k souls?

If so, I've been making a lot of people happy lately lol.

KarmaCow

For such an awesome design and intro [the boss of the Depths spoiler]
Gaping Dragon was pretty dumb. It falls/tries to smoosh me even when I was half way across the arena leaving so much time just to tear it up.

Been wondering: do you get all the souls from an invading player you kill?

Example:

I have 400k souls and invade someone. They kill me. Do they receive 400k souls?

If so, I've been making a lot of people happy lately lol.
They get a portion of how many souls it takes to get to your next soul level. So lets say you need 50000 souls to level, they get 10% (not sure on the true percentage) so they get 5000 souls from killing you.

There a list of all the new stuff in Prepare to Die edition of this game?
Someone posted a list a few pages back.

Yo Gotti

Banned
They get a portion of how many souls it takes to get to your next soul level. So lets say you need 50000 souls to level, they get 10% (not sure on the true percentage) so they get 5000 souls from killing you.

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I've killed invaders and during invasions myself and gotten hundreds of thousands of souls before.

I know that the online is busted, but damn, I've been sitting in the arena for ages waiting for a match along with someone else who I co-oped with so I know that I can connect with them.

Weird issue - I was playing this morning and everything was fine. Took a break for a few hours but didn't change any settings. No all of the controls are messed up. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the keyboard, but the face buttons, start, select and both R2 and L2 are switched up. R2 and L2 now rotate the camera and start and select are my L2 and R2 buttons. All of the face buttons have been inverted (x=b and a=y). I have no start or select functions on the controller.

Any ideas? I don't even no where to begin troubleshooting this issue.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
When you switch covenants, do you lose any ranking you've established with the original covenant...like if you wanted to switch back?

Revoh

I'm in Ash lake and don't have the thing to warp to another bonfire, who am I supposed to go back to Firelink Shrine?

ArjanN

It's entirely up to you how you want to approach the boss fights, but you would certainly learn a lot more about how a boss operates by doing it yourself then watching someone else obliterate them. That being said, having one other person sure makes it a lot easier to cut tails off.

I feel like you're clearly meant to summon either another player or Solaire during the gargoyle fight. It's more or less the tutorial for summoning other players.

It does seem to make them a bit too easy through.

Eusis

I'm in Ash lake and don't have the thing to warp to another bonfire, who am I supposed to go back to Firelink Shrine?
You need to climb back up the way you came. Have fun with that. Unless you wanted to know how to get out of Blighttown too, there's a key near the shortcut exit there. You have to go up those damned water wheels however.

EasyMode

Ouch, if you can't warp then you'll have to climb back up. Unless you haven't rested at any bonfires in Ash Lake, then you can use a homeward bone.

I feel like you're clearly meant to summon either another player or Solaire during the gargoyle fight. It's more or less the tutorial for summoning other players.

Nah I don't feel like any of the bosses were designed with coop in mind. They were all very clearly designed around being fought with one player and they all basically become trivial in coop. All of the online features in the Souls game (notes, coop) make the game easier (other than the PVP invasion elements obviously, which is kind of like a counterbalance to the coop).

I don't think the NPC summons should exist in this game at all.

Edit: Or at the very least all of the NPC summons should be multi-step secrets.

robin2

Does Dexterity increase the spellcasting speed?

Also Strength. I took a look a the wiki and all the weapons but a ten, scale equally (or better) with Dexterity: does it means that if I'm not interested in those few strength-scaling weapons, I can just forget my Strength score and focus on improving Dexterity, or the former is used for other stuff and it is still important to keep it not too behind?

(I of course have a melee character).

Thanks

Revoh

Can you elaborate?
I went to Blighttown, entered the secret room leading to The Great Hollow, then descended all the way to Ash Lake. I'vemadeahugemistake.gif

You need to climb back up the way you came. Have fun with that. Unless you wanted to know how to get out of Blighttown too, there's a key near the shortcut exit there. You have to go up those damned water wheels however.
Can you explain this? I don't know if I explored everything in Blighttown, I just killed the boss then went to Demon Ruins, killed a boss there too, then found a door I don't have the key yet went back and entered the secret room as explained above. Btw, I'm cursed :/ don't know what to do in this case

Ouch, if you can't warp then you'll have to climb back up. Unless you haven't rested at any bonfires in Ash Lake, then you can use a homeward bone.

Fuu

zkylon

zkylewd

I sure wish I knew this back then. So. Much. Rage.

i-Lo

I went to Blighttown, entered the secret room leading to The Great Hollow, then descended all the way to Ash Lake. I'vemadeahugemistake.gif

Can you explain this? I don't know if I explored everything in Blighttown, I just killed the boss then went to Demon Ruins, killed a boss there too, then found a door I don't have the key yet went back and entered the secret room as explained above. Btw, I'm cursed :/ don't know what to do in this case

Fuu

So I assume you don't have lord vessel? If you do then you have to two bonfires in ash lake from which to warp.

Have you faced the boss of blight town? If and if you haven't opened the shortcut to blight town then you have to go to depths to get to blight town once more.

And you will want to buy homeward bone or raise your faith to 18 faith to use (after you find it) Homeward miracle.

Can you guys help me on this Prepare to Die SL 125 Dex Int Build?

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3683564727112673

Does Dexterity increase the spellcasting speed?

Also Strength. I took a look a the wiki and all the weapons but a ten, scale equally (or better) with Dexterity: does it means that if I'm not interested in those few strength-scaling weapons, I can just forget my Strength score and focus on improving Dexterity, or the former is used for other stuff and it is still important to keep it not too behind?

(I of course have a melee character).

Thanks

Dexterity does increase the casting speed of magic, pyromancy and miracles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHfPcu_B0nQ

Many matches are determined by milliseconds, like Michael Phelps 7th Gold Medal in the 100m Butterfly in Beijing 2008.

Revoh

So I assume you don't have lord vessel? If you do then you have to two bonfires in ash lake from which to warp.

Have you faced the boss of blight town? If and if you haven't opened the shortcut to blight town then you have to go to depths to get to blight town once more.

And you will want to buy homeward bone or raise your faith to 18 faith to use (after you find it) Homeward miracle.

Yeah I killed the boss. Haven't been in the depths yet, I have a feeling I'm playing this game wrong haha, first I enter the catacombs at SL20, now I'm SL50 and still don't have the thing to teleport, also I don't have any magic/miracles. Haven't upgraded any of my weapons. Need to read about that stuff but I'm afraid of spoilers

Damn Iron Golem threw me off his pedestal and I landed in an instant death area. Good thing my souls and humanity are down there so I can't get them :(

i-Lo

Yeah I killed the boss. Haven't been in the depths yet, I have a feeling I'm playing this game wrong haha, first I enter the catacombs at SL20, now I'm SL50 and still don't have the thing to teleport, also I don't have any magic/miracles. Haven't upgraded any of my weapons. Need to read about that stuff but I'm afraid of spoilers

For me this game is all about gameplay and an underlying lore that begs to be researched online. Therefore, I started using the guides long before I even played the game. The only spoilers I cared for were boss' move sets and appearances. Everything else was a fair game.

I recommend visit this site for help: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

Have you rung both the bells yet? Given you've defeated the boss of blight town I assume you've at least rung that one. Ring the other one and it will open a place called Sen's fortress. You're supposed to finish Sen's Fortress and then go to Anor Londo where you'll gain access to Lord Vessel, the thing allows players to warp from almost all bonfires to certain other bonfires.

Damn Iron Golem threw me off his area and I landed in a fall death area. Good thing my souls and humanity are down there so I can't get them :(

Generally your blood stain be on the platform from where you fell. Look around, they will never put it in a place you can not reach.

Generally your blood stain be on the platform from where you fell. Look around, they will never put it in a place you can not reach.

Nope it's gone forever. I think the problem was I didn't die exactly when I hit the ground but it took like 5 seconds.

BD3553CBAD02129B99789D27994E059F1226BF84

No biggie though, it was only like 5k souls and 2 humanity. Still sucks I could never possibly reach it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Nope it's gone forever. I think the problem was I didn't die exactly when I hit the ground but it took like 5 seconds.

No biggie though, it was only like 5k souls and 2 humanity. Still sucks I could never possibly reach it.
Aw man that's terrible. Talk about shitty luck.

despite not being able to post in this thread I have been enjoying it a lot, it's served as a nice companion to my play.

to get it out of the way, yes this game is incredible. the world design is constantly surprising and delighting, and the systems are insanely deep and well implemented. before playing the game I had no idea that itemisation was so important and comprehensive. it's refreshing to be able to build a character any way you want, but the wide range of stats alone is ridiculously welcome in this blizzard-influenced era of HP > MP > DPS cookie-cutter classes.

so far I haven't taken any characters past anor londo, but that's just because I've been having a lot of fun with exploring and different builds. although I've used a wiki a little when I've been stuck for ages, I've kept it down to a bare minimum and tried to intuit my way through a lot of it which has been extremely satisfying. that being said, I do think some aspects of upgrading are pretty poorly explained. the game could do with an NPC dialogue log too.

my main build is a dexterity pyromancer at the moment, though more ninja than pyro. I was surprised to read all the problems people were having with back-stabbing (or butt-stabbing as I like to call it); my fire-ninja is lethal with a bandit knife +10, if you have decent speed it's almost criminally easy to stab butts.

When you switch covenants, do you lose any ranking you've established with the original covenant...like if you wanted to switch back?

I'll add some info on the answer you got earlier.

If you quit a covenant, you get a rank penalty, and the number of items you gave to that covenant to level your rank is halved.
Thus if you quit covenant X at rank 2 with 30 items given to the covenant master, once you rejoin you'll be rank 1 and it's as if you gave 15 items, so you'll need 15 more to get rank 2 again.

Climbing back up the Great Hollow is actually very easy and will leave you wondering why you had such difficulty on the way down. You will have to face off against some Basilisk, but that shouldn't be a problem at this point.

KarmaCow

Blighttown is such a rollercoaster. One minute you're kicked dudes off ledges and then later you're being pelted with toxic darts. The further I go down the more I don't like it though. Bug-like enemies and getting caught up on geometry? Bleh.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
When/Where do i start finding some of the new content?

The new areas become available late in the game,
after placing the Lordvessel.
You need access to
the Duke's Archive to get the item to enter the new area and to have killed the hydra in Darkroot Basin and saved Dusk.

Grief.exe

For such an awesome design and intro [the boss of the Depths spoiler]
Gaping Dragon was pretty dumb. It falls/tries to smoosh me even when I was half way across the arena leaving so much time just to tear it up.

Well if you look at it its blind. Then when it slams down it searches for you with its nose, then charges.

DTKT

How is the game if you only have a keyboard + mouse? I might buy it to play with a friend of mine, but I don't have access to a controller for now. :\

Top Bottom