• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Orayn

How good is the multiplayer in this version? Can you use DSFix and still play online? Is PvP active?

1. It's only as good or as bad as the console versions. Summoning fails a bit often for my liking, but it's not hard to invade or do co-op.
2. Yes.
3. Seems to be.

IoCaster

Didn't get much time to play today, but did manage to kill that Hydra in Darkroot and finally killed that bridge camping dragon too. Didn't know where to go next so I took a lift to some mountain area and killed some blue drakes. Followed a narrow ledge around and sniped a bigass dragon. Then I found a cave leading into Blighttown. I guess I'll start on that tomorrow if I get some time to play.

I like just stumbling around finding new areas to explore. It's a refreshing change from all of the on rails, guided, heavily scripted, cutscenes to the max, press "A" for awesome, crapfests that almost every big dev/pub is making these days.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Didn't get much time to play today, but did manage to kill that Hydra in Darkroot and finally killed that bridge camping dragon too. Didn't know where to go next so I took a lift to some mountain area and killed some blue drakes. Followed a narrow ledge around and sniped a bigass dragon. Then I found a cave leading into Blighttown. I guess I'll start on that tomorrow if I get some time to play.

I like just stumbling around finding new areas to explore. It's a refreshing change from all of the on rails, guided, heavily scripted, cutscenes to the max, press "A" for awesome, crapfests that almost every big dev/pub is making these days.

At the end of the day Dark Souls is essentially Super Metroid in a medieval fantasy setting.

ArynCrinn

Banned
At the end of the day Dark Souls is essentially Super Metroid in a medieval fantasy setting.

Yeah, without all the great platforming and shooting...which is what sort of makes it Metroid.

If From could further deepen the level design with all types of platforming variables, and make the jumping mechanics more intuitive and reflex, that would be cool.

Now all we need is a item based over-the-shoulder camera for archery, ranged magic and really anything ranged, From could call it "accessibility" and add IR support. Broadening the audience while not diluting anything, perfect.

Kreunt

Banned
killed capra on first go, i must have just gotten lucky. kinda want to fight him again just to see why he's so annoying.

Yeah, without all the great platforming and shooting...which is what sort of makes it Metroid.

If From could further deepen the level design with all types of platforming variables, and make the jumping mechanics more intuitive and reflex, that would be cool.

Now all we need is a item based over-the-shoulder camera for archery, ranged magic and really anything ranged, From could call it "accessibility" and add IR support. Broadening the audience while not diluting anything, perfect.
Archery already has an over the shoulder aim mode though...

linko9

Still having a blast with this version, but I ran into something today that shook me to the core: the eagle shield no longer has 100% physical damage reduction. Then I looked online and found that when you upgrade it to +5, it gets full reduction, so the day was saved. That's sort of a weird change to make (I assume this happened in the console patch from last year?). I also hear that Quelaag's sword was nerfed, which is a bummer, as that was my primary weapon. The auto-loot pickup makes the great hollow so much less stressful :)

EDIT: Strategy for the Capra demon is simple, just stand on top of the water wheel. He'll keep running up the stairs, and lunge at you, falling off in the process. Works 100% of the time, without fail. Just shoot him with arrows or magic until he starts going up the stairs, and then raise your shield to block the hit. Repeat until he's dead.

IoCaster

Never played any Metroid games (PC gamer) so I don't have any point of reference to judge by. I've always enjoyed games with exploration elements like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc,. Even when they're limited in scope like Mass Effect 1, it's still a much more enjoyable experience for me than the on rails sequels.

Still having a blast with this version, but I ran into something today that shook me to the core: the eagle shield no longer has 100% physical damage reduction. Then I looked online and found that when you upgrade it to +5, it gets full reduction, so the day was saved. That's sort of a weird change to make (I assume this happened in the console patch from last year?).
Whaaat? The Eagle Shield can be fixed? The 5% nerf is new to 1.06.

KSai

I finally found the Iaito! I've gone through both console versions without ever finding this weapon. I love quick draw samurai swords, I used those all the time in Way of the Samurai and Samurai Western.

Emitan

I don't like the Drake Sword because I have all these cool weapons that I will never use because it's better.
*continues to use it*

KSai

I don't like the Drake Sword because I have all these cool weapons that I will never use because it's better.
*continues to use it*

What are your stats like? It helps to have a focus in one stat for weapons. Though you're really just limited to either STR, DEX, or INT. For example my current warrior has 20 STR and 20 DEX so I can pick and choose my weapon. I've been grinding the ordinary hollows before Taurus just to get their battle axes and daggers to go with my straight sword, and then I picked up the Claymore and Iaito.

I think the best thing to know is that you should buy 9 Titanite shards to upgrade any basic weapon to +5. Then you can really see the difference between each weapon. Plus, try out the physical properties of your weapons. Feel their motion. The battle axe has a single horizontal swing when 2-handed and it breaks through the guards of the spear knights. The long sword when one-handed has a nice straight poke with R2 that can hit all three hollow bandits and even one of the dogs in front of the door to Capra. Then there's the dagger, which hits horizontally also when 2-handed, but the important thing is that it hits fast and can connect with low stanced enemies like dogs.

yeah it's becoming pretty apparent that upgrading a basic weapon is a more effective way to stay on top of things than hoping for a nice drop. obviously the drake sword is an exception because it's a guaranteed drop but keeping it competitive is too much work.

edit: also I'm keeping my standard sorc armour because of the flavour text about students from that magic school wearing their uniform out of pride :lol

Biggest problem with the Drake sword? It's ugly as hell.

I used it, without regret, for a decent portion of my first playthrough on PS3 but now that I know exactly what I'm doing, I wouldn't use it based on aesthetic alone. :p

Emitan

Biggest problem with the Drake sword? It's ugly as hell.

I used it, without regret, for a decent portion of my first playthrough on PS3 but now that I know exactly what I'm doing, I wouldn't use it based on aesthetic alone. :p

That's one of the reasons why I hate it ;~;

KSai

You have the strength you need to use the Claymore. Strength weapons tend to be on the slower side, so if you keep increasing strength you'll have access to clubs and axes. Try it out and see if its attack moves are to your liking. Otherwise, if you want to start using curved swords and katanas you'll need to focus your leveling on DEX.

Since you've started investing in Endurance, I suggest you go find Havel's Ring. Start exploring the Darkroot Garden if you haven't already. Once you get familiar with the place, save a humanity so you can summon the NPC to fight the boss.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Caved. Downloading now. Probably gonna try and go through the new content without going beyond sl15.

I guess that stuff I've heard about gravelords getting humanity when one of their BPs kill someone is just a rumor? That sounds a little too good to be true. But I'm gonna gravelord the shit out of TotG if it's true.

Emitan

Have a Claymore +5 now. Using that with the wooden shield you get near the start in Undead Burg so that my equip weight is low enough for the fastest roll. But maybe I should sacrifice the roll for better armor?

linko9

I've heard conflicting reports about how they nerfed the Dark Wood Grain ring.

a) You no longer move as if you had 1/4 equip weight when under 1/2 weight
b) You can no longer flip unless you have under 1/4 equip weight

Which is it? Pretty annoying that it got nerfed. In fact, a lot of my favorite items got nerfed. Really bummed about that.

What the....

is the sanctuary guardian
supposed to respawn? i just went back there for the hell of it and there is 2 of them!

screenshot for proof (in case this is some kind of glitch. which i doubt is the case). http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541810681101358991/FFEFA16DD963B1145351419E4CB0DF5F0D5AAEDC/
Had the same thing happen to me earlier. I assumed that it was intentional since it's not much of a boss to begin with. First time entering the area I saw it and got sacred - shot it with 3 soul spears and it died. Was a little underwhelmed.

KSai

Have a Claymore +5 now. Using that with the wooden shield you get near the start in Undead Burg so that my equip weight is low enough for the fastest roll. But maybe I should sacrifice the roll for better armor?
Why not try going without a shield? Become a 2-handed monster.

I've heard conflicting reports about how they nerfed the Dark Wood Grain ring.

a) You no longer move as if you had 1/4 equip weight when under 1/2 weight
b) You can no longer flip unless you have under 1/4 equip weight

Which is it? Pretty annoying that it got nerfed. In fact, a lot of my favorite items got nerfed. Really bummed about that.

The reports are that the ring only lets you roll with 1/4 equip weight. It doesn't help 1/2 anymore. I believe that both of them are true.

TheExodu5

Banned
Entering Anor Londo:
londo1.png

Rockin the Baldur Side Sword and Baldur Shield:

NBtoaster

Have a new strong guy character. No more reliance on spells for me. Using a gargoyle halberd.

Just got killed by the gaping dragon, Solaire and Lautrec are useless in that fight.

Man, I love this game. Just beat an invader and then summoned someone to help with a boss in the span of 10 minutes. I love the Gargoyle Halbred, I've been using it since it dropped after that boss fight and it hasn't done me wrong yet.

linko9

The reports are that the ring only lets you roll with 1/4 equip weight. It doesn't help 1/2 anymore. I believe that both of them are true.

Yup, I just got the ring, and I can confirm this. The ring is now essentially worthless. What the hell. I'm just really annoyed that all of these "balances" from PvP issues are affecting my enjoyment of the single player game. Just make the nerfs only apply during invasions or something!

Defuser

I been rocking Black Knight Halberd ever since I got it and it hasn't fail me since then. It kills most enemies in 1 or 2 hits fully ugraded. Too bad black knight weapons can't be buff.

rizz

Neo Member
Just managed to have enough STR to wield Zweihander with two hands.

Felt good destroying everything in just the one swing. But now I'm torn between which weapon to use. Zweihander is slow and each swing takes too much stamina, and then there is the lack of shield. The winged spear deals quite a lot of damage is really fast, allows me to put in three hits before the enemy begins his next attack. And then there is the scimitar, which is all around a decent weapon and feels nice to use.

Decisions.. decisions...

Yup, I just got the ring, and I can confirm this. The ring is now essentially worthless. What the hell. I'm just really annoyed that all of these "balances" from PvP issues are affecting my enjoyment of the single player game. Just make the nerfs only apply during invasions or something!

in most games I'd agree, but dark souls takes pleasure in blurring the lines with NPC invasions and such so it feels appropriate.

Emitan

Orayn told me I can get an item that lets me get my Claymore to +10 by
The Butcher
. After doing that I want to get some cool katanas.

Top Bottom