• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Akkad

Banned
I want to improve my axe to probably a +5, but would I need to increase my strength to use it at that level, or does it not matter?

The stats for wielding a weapon stay the same regardless of upgrades. However if the weapon gives a stat bonus then improving that parameter will increase the attack power.

Jintor

Blundered around Blighttown, somehow ended up in the Valley of the Drakes, dropped into the Old Londo ruins and hoofed it back up to the Firelink Shrine for some R&R. The level design is impeccable.

NBtoaster

GFWL is an abomination. Had to start a new game cause of a corrupted save that wouldn't load. Shit.

I got a message once that my save wouldn't load and to start a new one, instead I alt-f4'd out and it was fine when I tried to load again.

I think the latest versions of dsfix also backup save data too

Finalow

I pvp one guy where we melee each other till it's a tie, the moment the 1 min message appears he whip out his catalyst and spam dark magic and crystal homing arrows to get his assured win. A few minutes later I was in face with him again in another duel, a few seconds by accident I got a backstab first kill on him, the moment he respawn back into the arena he whip out again his spells and kill me twice. Such a fucking dick.
silver pendant + roll, bye bye magic.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, are there any speed runs of Dark Souls on the net?
Not sure if there have been any PTD edition speed runs yet, but this one 1:26:28 one was famous for being one of the first complete speed runs back in the day pre 1.04. Most notably he use the overpowered pyromancy that has since been nerfed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8

This 35-minute one might be post-patch, not sure. It uses a glitch on the ps3 version to skip to kiln after placing the lordvessel though, so it's not really a complete, legit run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd8bCBkKst8

edit - oh cool, new 1.05 record runs, will have to watch those later

IoCaster

I got a message once that my save wouldn't load and to start a new one, instead I alt-f4'd out and it was fine when I tried to load again.

I think the latest versions of dsfix also backup save data too

I tried everything I could think of but it's fubar'd. I've been playing with an older dsfix since it was working fine and I didn't see a need to update. Dumb mistake.

Oh well, it's my own fault. At least I've got a good general understanding of the game and it shouldn't take me as long to make up lost ground now. It's time for me to grab the latest dsfix and give it another go.

well good luck everyone

this is an amazing game, but I just dont have the patience for it

its a shame there isnt a way an easy mode to experience the story because in my 20+ hours playing it, I didnt see a single interesting story element and no characters anywhere near as cool as maiden in black of demons souls (right at the beginning)

this is probably because the game is larger and they are saving cool stuff for later?

I tried a new dex character and couldnt do the capra demon, getting trapped in corners and having the camera spinning around annoyingly. the game is broken in tight spaces. also, I didnt find any regular weapons as cool for Dex as zweihander is for STR. I just ended up using the halberd again (like my SL 39 STR character)

Serra

hahahah, had kalameet down to like 2% HP, one more swing and he would die. For some reason I decided to "play it safe" and dodge his stomp attack instead of just swing one more time. Dodged the wrong way and died.

Yeah, not going human form ever again, same dude keeps invading me.

If its the same dude over and over again, its propably an NPC.

Sullichin

hahahah, had kalameet down to like 2% HP, one more swing and he would die. For some reason I decided to "play it safe" and dodge his stomp attack instead of just swing one more time. Dodged the wrong way and died.

I just barely survived this fight, it was a very stupid idea to take this screenshot but I still got him:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596979776504707025/5F5F2EB31918BADD0FE4F0FA3970C930537C0E18/

Unless the NPC invaders behave very different from other enemies, and weird names, I doubt it :)

Where are you getting invaded, and what's the name of the invader?

Unless the NPC invaders behave very different from other enemies, and weird names, I doubt it :)

Where are you exactly? Are you only getting invaded in that one location? It is unlikely that you will be invaded by the exact same player repeatedly, but there are a few (too few compared to Demon's Souls) red phantom NPCs and they do act differently from other enemies in the game (generally playing to their specific load outs).

Ridley327

I figured I just had enough time before work here to help someone out with a particular pair of bosses. Getting
Super Ornstein
caught by the altar and wailing on him is invigorating.

For the ultimate insult to injury, I was wearing his armor while doing that fight!

derFeef

Where are you exactly? Are you only getting invaded in that one location? It is unlikely that you will be invaded by the exact same player repeatedly, but there are a few (too few compared to Demon's Souls) red phantom NPCs and they do act differently from other enemies in the game (generally playing to their specific load outs).

Undead Burg, shortly before the boss.
He or it was standing in front of me, doing nothing except strafing around and waiting for my first action.
The second time he (or it) backstabbed me out of nowhere.

Jintor

Fucking toxic sharpshooting assholes in Blighttown. Thank gods they don't respawn. I don't think it would be bearable if they did.

robin2

Is there a way to sell/drop some of the stuff I have in the inventory? I have like 1000 items.
Also:
Strength. I took a look a the wiki and all the weapons but a ten, scale equally (or better) with Dexterity: does it means that if I'm not interested in those few strength-scaling weapons, I can just forget my Strength score and focus on improving Dexterity, or the former is used for other stuff and it is still important to keep it not too behind?

(I of course have a melee character).
anyone?

Sullichin

Is there a way to sell/drop some of the stuff I have in the inventory? I have like 1000 items.
Also:

anyone?

There's more than jut a few strength weapons. But if you're using weapons that scale with dex, then no you don't need to worry about increasing your str beyond the minimum requirement for that weapon.

You can sell items to
Frampt after you ring both bells
. You can store items you don't want to carry with you with the bottomless box, which you can buy from the first merchant in the burg.

put my sign at capra, got summoned, we both bowed simultaneously, i went in and died in the first 2 hits :(
One time I summoned someone to help me with Quelaag and managed to immediately run into a pool of lava and die. Once I made it back, I re-summoned the same person and put the shrug emote to good use.

TheMixta43

Neo Member
Goddamn this game is incredible.

Just
defeated Kalameet and cut off his tail in the process. Proceeded to load up "You're the Best Around" on YouTube and used the Joy expression over and over in the deserted battlefield.

Never have I felt more satisfied with a game. NEVER!

mxgt

Banned
Just lost 300k souls by accidentally falling off a ledge while rushing through Anor Londo

Time to take a little break before I smash something.

web01

Had a ton of fun getting invaded in Dukes Archive earlier.
Disguised myself as a wooden podium using the chameleon spell and watched as the clueless invaders aimlessly searched high and low for me. One guy searched for over 30 minutes while I sent him "getting hotter" and "getting colder" messages.

Whenever the invaders got close enough I opened up with a Wrath of the Gods and then started to beat them down with my Balder Side Sword. Some of the most fun I have ever had in an online game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have 14K souls..should I farm and get that item (which is and what does it do) from the blacksmith near church?
Sure. You'll be able to get 20k souls in less than a couple of minutes while farming at the spot you get to.

Serra

Had a ton of fun getting invaded in Dukes Archive earlier.
Disguised myself as a wooden podium using the chameleon spell and watched as the clueless invaders aimlessly searched high and low for me. One guy searched for over 30 minutes while I sent him "getting hotter" and "getting colder" messages.

Whenever the invaders got close enough I opened up with a Wrath of the Gods and then started to beat them down with my Balder Side Sword. Some of the most fun I have ever had in an online game.

EPIC!

derFeef

Is the only Bonfire at Undead Burg in this area? That's a lot of enemies inbetween if you make msitakes :/ Dat Dragon...

Ridley327

Is the only Bonfire at Undead Burg in this area? That's a lot of enemies inbetween if you make msitakes :/ Dat Dragon...

It is, but the way that the shortcuts open up in the Burg, there really isn't a need for another one. The next closest one would be the one that the dragon is guarding, which will also open up a shortcut that will make it easier to go through the Burg and the Parish at will.

I just rang the second bell, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to enter the next area. Should I go?

Actually, I'll find out soon enough after entering I guess. :p

Top Bottom