• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

orayn is just messing with you. what you want to do is grind cash for a master key and a bandit's knife, then head to blighttown and butt-stab some fatties. clothing optional.

Ridley327

Orayn told me I can get an item that lets me get my Claymore to +10 by
The Butcher
. After doing that I want to get some cool katanas.

There's embers all throughout the game that you can give to the Parish blacksmith to allow him to do special work on the weapons. He can't do everything, though, but you will find another blacksmith later in the game that can do the other stuff (like the weapons that require boss souls).

Zeliard

Everyone talks up the DLC bosses as being crazy-rough. I have a feeling my stubbornness in keeping Vitality at 9 is going to come back to bite me. :p But I won't give in!

Man, GFWL is really a mess. I had never tried it before, but every step of the registration process was a pain to get through. And then after spending thirty minutes just to get past the title screen, it turns out the game runs at fucking 15 fps.

I wish Green Man Gaming had accepted my card. At least that way I could have saved ten dollars.

Recarpo

Everyone talks up the DLC bosses as being crazy-rough. I have a feeling my stubbornness in keeping Vitality at 9 is going to come back to bite me. :p But I won't give in!

Good luck. My vitality was about 18 when I went into the second dlc boss and I got completely mauled. Had to summon a super tank player to get through it.

CatPee

Man, GFWL is really a mess. I had never tried it before, but every step of the registration process was a pain to get through. And then after spending thirty minutes just to get past the title screen, it turns out the game runs at fucking 15 fps.

I wish Green Man Gaming had accepted my card. At least that way I could have saved ten dollars.

Did you download Great Lord Durante's mod? If you're on a laptop, it fixes the Optimus issue. Otherwise, force AA in your video card controller to bump up GPU usage.

Hypron

I killed them all in my first run with 9 vita, and it went fine. Apart from the first boss they all telegraph their attacks and it's possible to dodge all of them by rolling. It might take a while to learn their patterns but once you've learned them even the hardest boss is easier than trying to kill Ornstein and Smough (without any summons) for example.

Did you download Great Lord Durante's mod? If you're on a laptop, it fixes the Optimus issue. Otherwise, force AA in your video card controller to bump up GPU usage.

I can't force AA through my video card or anything like that. My video card used to have that option, but apparently the update I downloaded to it last week took care of that.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm glad they left the quick shortcut to lower Undead Burg in the game. Was kinda afraid they were gonna take that out. I hate when devs get overly anal about removing borderline glitchy shortcuts that you're not gonna stumble upon by accident.

web01

I'm glad they left the quick shortcut to lower Undead Burg in the game. Was kinda afraid they were gonna take that out. I hate when devs get overly anal about removing borderline glitchy shortcuts that you're not gonna stumble upon by accident.

Demons Souls had shortcuts like this and there are others in Dark Souls.
They are basically a tradition of the games they would never take them plus they really only benefit experienced players.

Ashler

Just rushed through the essencials to get to the new DLC section of the game (having already Platinumed it in the PS3 version).

Finished the DLC yesterday and I have to say that its the greatest piece of DLC I've played in a while. Great lore and great bosses. I'd buy more!

Rich!

Wow.

Just realised what the dead soldiers souls that I've been collecting do. Just gained 6000 souls in one go. lol

Maybe I should pay more attention to my inventory. Anyway...
just ventured down to the basement village, between undead parish and undead burg, and holy fuck these dudes with weapons are killing me effortlessly.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm in love with my Iaito +5. I suppose there's a critical strike chance or something tied up to it, but sometimes I hit for about 400 with a single blow. It's a guaranteed 400 damage on the third strike against the fat dudes in Blighttown. On other enemies it feels like it's random.

Anyways, fat dudes are the certified best buttstab material.

Serra

I'm in love with my Iaito +5. I suppose there's a critical strike chance or something tied up to it, but sometimes I hit for about 400 with a single blow. It's a guaranteed 400 damage on the third strike against the fat dudes in Blighttown. On other enemies it feels like it's random.

Sounds like you just found out about counter attacks. If the enemy is in their attack animation when you hit them, they take extra damage.

Explanation by EpicNameBro (video is about a ring that boosts that damage but it explains the mechanic nicely)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34Txlcgrlo

Zzoram

Anybody know a good place to do co-op at SL79?

End game stuff I'd guess. Maybe Kiln of the First Flame or Duke's Archives. Either that or the early areas like Undead Burg because people in your level range may be doing that again for NG+.

Zzoram

Anyways, fat dudes are the certified best buttstab material.

That might be bleed effect. You know how skeletons hitting you causes that bar with the blood stain logo to fill on you? When it fills you get hit with burst bleed damage. Some weapons have a bleed effect.

For critical hits, there are counters, ripostes and backstabs that do varying amounts of bonus damage depending on the weapon type.

Murkas

Dropping my white sign at SL55 in Anor Londo and I get no summons, when I went in human form I must have saw only like 2 signs, been to the battle arena and I haven't connected to a single duel.

I don't know if the PC version is just dead compared to the consoles or if it's my connection.

I just went to help people...

Rich!

You always make progress in Dark Souls. Learning enemy placement, movesets and maps is progress.

I spent about 2 hours yesterday making the trek from the bonfire in Undead Burg, all the way to the boss and getting killed by it every. Single. Time.

Eventually, I beat him like a motherfucker. And it felt AWESOME. And that is exactly why DS is so good - because progress takes time, effort and skill unlike any other game I've played, and it rewards you like no other.

Serra

Dropping my white sign at SL55 in Anor Londo and I get no summons, when I went in human form I must have saw only like 2 signs, been to the battle arena and I haven't connected to a single duel.

I don't know if the PC version is just dead compared to the consoles or if it's my connection.

Gotta have patience.

BrettHD

Banned
FUCKING CAPRA DEMON

*breaks her controller*

This fight is a bitch - took me a bunch of attempts on 360.

Bring like 20 or so firebombs. As soon as you go thru the fog gate
run to the Capra's right and roll past him and up the stairs.
Kill the dogs, heal at the top of the stairs if you need to and if you have time to
hit the estus flask - if you dont have time for the flask jump off the stairs and run
to the other end of the room and drink the estus then.

While there is still some room between you and the Capra firebomb him then sprint past him on the left and back up the stairs. If hes standing under the stairs then do the plunging attack on him - it will knock off a good chunk of his health.

Repeat until hes dead.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sounds like you just found out about counter attacks. If the enemy is in their attack animation when you hit them, they take extra damage.

Explanation by EpicNameBro (video is about a ring that boosts that damage but it explains the mechanic nicely)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34Txlcgrlo
Hmm, I don't think so, I've noticed a slight damage increase if I hit enemies after I block their attacks with my shield, but the three strike 400 damage is just me raining blows on the fat dudes. It'll consistently happen every three hits and it also makes the same sound as a backstab.

That might be bleed effect. You know how skeletons hitting you causes that bar with the blood stain logo to fill on you? When it fills you get hit with burst bleed damage. Some weapons have a bleed effect.

For critical hits, there are counters, ripostes and backstabs that do varying amounts of bonus damage depending on the weapon type.
Doesn't seem to be that either, unless the Iaito you find in Blighttown has that innate effect.

This is pretty weird lol...

Hypron

Hmm, I don't think so, I've noticed a slight damage increase if I hit enemies after I block their attacks with my shield, but the three strike 400 damage is just me raining blows on the fat dudes. It'll consistently happen every three hits and it also makes the same sound as a backstab.

Doesn't the iato cause bleeding? That would be it, every time you hit an enemy with your sword it fills up their bleeding meter, and once it's completely filled up the enemy will suffer massive damages. Some enemies (and most bosses) are immune to it though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh well, that solves the mystery then. Didn't say in the description and in the wiki. Too bad it doesn't work against bosses, though. Could use that burst :p

Rich!

I want to improve my axe to probably a +5, but would I need to increase my strength to use it at that level, or does it not matter?

Zeliard

Oh well, that solves the mystery then. Didn't say in the description and in the wiki. Too bad it doesn't work against bosses, though. Could use that burst :p

It can.
The Stray & Firesage Demons
are notable examples of bosses you can just abuse with the bleed effect.

Kazzy

I agree with you for most situations, however there are a few instances where high resistance is more important than the ability to roll. It's always good to have an extra set of armor on you just in case.

I only did otherwise for The Four Kings. I basically tanked that encounter and wailed on them, using the Black Knight halberd 2-handed.

Such a shitty boss...

Defuser

I kinda hate the fact that people use Sorcery in Battle of Stoicism to get a fucking win. What happen to pure weapon fighting?

Doesn't seem to be that either, unless the Iaito you find in Blighttown has that innate effect.

This is pretty weird lol...

Iaito definitely has bleed at 33% per strike. So the 4th strike should result in bleed on most enemies.

Taruranto

God, the
The Bed of Chaos
Boss Mechanics were pretty shitty. Overall
Lost Izalith
felt very short and limited, and i actually liked the Demon Ruins.

I kinda hate the fact that people use Sorcery in Battle of Stoicism to get a fucking win. What happen to pure weapon fighting?

Ah, i could say the exact opposite thing. What happened to awesome magic battles, why is everyone trying to back-stab me? :p

PC version if far from being dead, unfortunately the game is filled with connection issues. Try to open your ports and see if GFWL is using your upnp. I get a fight every 2 minutes or so in
Dark
Anor Londo.

Defuser

Ah, i could say the exact opposite thing. What happened to awesome magic battles, why is everyone trying to back-stab me? :p

I pvp one guy where we melee each other till it's a tie, the moment the 1 min message appears he whip out his catalyst and spam dark magic and crystal homing arrows to get his assured win. A few minutes later I was in face with him again in another duel, a few seconds by accident I got a backstab first kill on him, the moment he respawn back into the arena he whip out again his spells and kill me twice. Such a fucking dick.

Top Bottom