• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

pyros

after finishing blight town and starting sen's fortress, I realise why I have a love, hate relationship with the souls series

derFeef

There's another one at the end of the bridge provided you manage to survive the dragon's flames lol.

Hm, dodged the dragon under the bridge but then another bossish looking thing awaited me. I explored and a dark knight or how they are called killed me. 10k souls byebye :/

Enough for today, zero progress, lol.

mxgt

Banned
I'm such an idiot,
I invaded and defeated Lautrec but used Anastacia's firekeeper soul to boost my estus to +7. Soon after I realised I needed it to revive her so I won't be able to use Firelink bonfire for the rest of this playthrough.

Oh well.

Holden

I'm such an idiot,
I invaded and defeated Lautrec but used Anastacia's firekeeper soul to boost my estus to +7. Soon after I realised I needed it to revive her so I won't be able to use Firelink bonfire for the rest of this playthrough.

Oh well.

not that bad, you can
still warp there.

Finalow

Plus if you have +7 flask than chances are good you are nearing the end game already.
not really, he can be at the start of ng+. I'm there with a +6.

btw still trying to take the 4 kings in co-op but this game loves to be in a fucking offline mode when you're fucking playing online with a fucking human chara.

TheFatOne

What would be the best light armor in the game. When I played DS on the 360 I just rolled with the Gold Hemmed set, but from what I gather the best light armor would be a mixture of different things. I'm going for a magic melee build.

Ledsen

Wow, Capra Demon was the easiest boss so far. Got him on my third try without any problems at all. He didn't have time to kill me before I hacked his puppies to pieces, and after that it was just a matter of luring him up the stairs over and over. I thought he was going to be difficult based on what I read, but I had waaaay more trouble with the Minotaur in Undead Parish.

Anteater

Wow, Capra Demon was the easiest boss so far. Got him on my third try without any problems at all. He didn't have time to kill me before I hacked his puppies to pieces, and after that it was just a matter of luring him up the stairs over and over. I thought he was going to be difficult based on what I read, but I had waaaay more trouble with the Minotaur in Undead Parish.

Yeah, I got him on my second try too, but I thought it was unfair because on top of using the stairs, one of his dogs also got stuck at a corner
KuGsj.gif

The gargoyles were the hardest boss for me at the beginning

PrimeRib_

Now now. No one likes a braggart.

The biggest hurdle in defeating the Capra Demon is surviving the run up to the stairs. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. It's up to you, NY. NY. et al.

linko9

I really wish there was an option to only turn off certain hud elements. Specifically, the items in the lower left. The only icon that's even remotely useful to me is the down one, as I can see my weapons, and I only use one spell. Hopefully a mod can add this functionality.

Ledsen

Yeah, I got him on my second try too, but I thought it was unfair because on top of using the stairs, one of his dogs also got stuck at a corner
KuGsj.gif

The gargoyles were the hardest boss for me at the beginning

YEah sadly I summoned a co-op dude on the Gargoyles and he slaughtered them before I could really do anything :(

Is there a limited amount of humanity? It seems rare so far and pretty much every time I use it to reverse hollowing I instantly get invaded and killed.

Ridley327

Is there a limited amount of humanity? It seems pretty rare so far and pretty much every time I use it to reverse hollowing I instantly get invaded and killed.

There isn't, simply because it's something that the rats can drop. There's one spot in the game that makes it really easy to farm rats for humanity (among other things you can also farm for in the same run).

Emitan

When you can't rest at a bonfire it means you've been invaded, right? Because yesterday I was human and couldn't rest but ended up never seeing an invader. Did they fall off a cliff or something?

Ridley327

You can summon other people ghost to aid you against invaders, try that. :p

Even NPC phantoms can help you out. I had an invader come up to me and he wasn't prepared to take on me and Solaire. Needless to say, Solaire made short work of him with his Lightning Spear sorcery.

When you can't rest at a bonfire it means you've been invaded, right? Because yesterday I was human and couldn't rest but ended up never seeing an invader. Did they fall off a cliff or something?

That is a sign that an invasion is in progress, yes. With the netcode that the game has, though, it's possible to have that happen for a bit and the invader not showing up. If they do successfully invade your game, you'll see their player name on the bottom of the screen.

Sullichin

One of my favorite things about this game is the enemies with glowing eyes having this i dunno how to put it..moving strobe light effect?It makes it look so awesome.Just the little things impress me so much in this game.

Yeah, his grab attack looks awesome.

Grief.exe

I really wish there was an option to only turn off certain hud elements. Specifically, the items in the lower left. The only icon that's even remotely useful to me is the down one, as I can see my weapons, and I only use one spell. Hopefully a mod can add this functionality.

Durante figured out how to edit GUI elements so that might be coming down the pipe soon.

IMO they could be 70-100% smaller across the board. Items and health/stam bars included.j

KarmaCow

I was so apprehensive about fighting the boss before the second bell. I hate bugs, spiders even more so and of course the area looks like it would something like that. The fire breathing things in Blighttown already creeped me out and I haven't installed the World of Pain mod for New Vegas solely because I saw one screenshot had spider that looked too real for me. I was legitimately thinking of finding ways to glitch past the boss if it freaked me out too much. Thankfully, for as twisted as the boss looked it wasn't a problem at all.

And now I've lost about 20k souls and 19 humanity in Sen's Fortress, whichisn't be a lot but I've been good about not losing anything up to that point. Those damn swinging axes make me hasty. The caster snakes are also a pain because I have no good ranged attack nor do I have good Lightning resistance.

Also, how does the Black Eye Orb work? It doesn't seem to work right now and the description says it watches over Andor Londo or something.

BrettHD

Banned
well good luck everyone

this is an amazing game, but I just dont have the patience for it

its a shame there isnt a way an easy mode to experience the story because in my 20+ hours playing it, I didnt see a single interesting story element and no characters anywhere near as cool as maiden in black of demons souls (right at the beginning)

this is probably because the game is larger and they are saving cool stuff for later?

I tried a new dex character and couldnt do the capra demon, getting trapped in corners and having the camera spinning around annoyingly. the game is broken in tight spaces. also, I didnt find any regular weapons as cool for Dex as zweihander is for STR. I just ended up using the halberd again (like my SL 39 STR character)

Read my post on how to beat the Capra before giving up - post 6607 - its on the same page as your post that I am quoting.
Also dont lockon Capra unless you are about to attack - you cant sprint past him
while locked on.
Yes the camera can get twitchy at times - usually when you are locked on to something and you switch targets. You learn to manage it.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
so i killed the merchant in the undead burg pretty early on, am i screwed at all? i got a cool sword from him!

nahhh. Well unless you are planning on sorcerizing and didn't get the key he sells...you do need that to save the first mage. That dude is where I got my Uchigatana for my dex guy on 360.

Dascu

Also, how does the Black Eye Orb work? It doesn't seem to work right now and the description says it watches over Andor Londo or something.
Wait until you get there. Once you enter a particular room in that area, you'll get a message saying the Orb is reacting to something. If you use the item in that room, something special will happen! You can use the Orb whenever though, even after beating the boss(es).

IoCaster

This Capra bitch is annoying. I killed it the first time after about 11-12 tries, but this second time is driving me nuts. I'm on my 22nd attempt and it's incredibly close quarters for a twitchy KB/M setup. Those fucking dogs...*rage*

Needed to take a break and vent a bit. Sonofabitch must pay and I'll shotgun a beer when I bury him and his shitty hounds.

mxgt

Banned
Getting pretty tired of classless invaders looking for cheap victories

Stop trying to backstab me when I'm buffing damnit and fight like a man.

Midou

This Capra bitch is annoying. I killed it the first time after about 11-12 tries, but this second time is driving me nuts. I'm on my 22nd attempt and it's incredibly close quarters for a twitchy KB/M setup. Those fucking dogs...*rage*

Needed to take a break and vent a bit. Sonofabitch must pay and I'll shotgun a beer when I bury him and his shitty hounds.

Run right and forwards to get the capra and the dogs away from the stairs, then run up the stairs, if you take care of the dogs up there, it makes it a lot easier.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn

Yo dogg, it takes a good 5-15 attempts to even successfully invade. I need 8 more souvenirs of reprisal and I will get that victory any way I can. Totally feels like playing infected in L4D sometimes...I'll hide behind a wall right near some other enemies the guy will aggro, then - Sneak Attack!!

MrWisker

Tips for the Capra Demon. (I used to hate this boss but after watching EpicNameBro and his tips for this boss, it is now a breeze).
1. Shield with a good stability rating
2. a thrusting weapon of some kind (i usually use the estoc)
3. buff said weapon with a resin to help kill those dogs fast (poke at them with shield up).
4. Poise is good here as well. Use the Wolf ring to help with poise. Last thing you want is to be staggered while fighting the Capra demon.

Sullichin

Yo dogg, it takes a good 5-15 attempts to even successfully invade. I need 8 more souvenirs of reprisal and I will get that victory any way I can. Totally feels like playing infected in L4D sometimes...I'll hide behind a wall right near some other enemies the guy will aggro, then - Sneak Attack!!

The harpies drop them at a much higher rate than the console versions.

Emitan

Since you've started investing in Endurance, I suggest you go find Havel's Ring. Start exploring the Darkroot Garden if you haven't already. Once you get familiar with the place, save a humanity so you can summon the NPC to fight the boss.

What's Havel's Ring?

Zaventem

lol no class in invading.I learned that when invading the forest with constant 2 vs 1.I used to be one of those " yeah i'm gonna bow to you" guys but fuck that.When i'm invading, i'm invading to have joy in being an asshole.Preplanned duels at burg are something else.And you have the arena now so it's even better if you want honor duels.Never bow to your invader or the person you're invading, it might be a trap.

I'm getting my ass whooped by
Iron Golem
and I don't have any humanity left to summon people. This sucks.

Just summon
Tarkus(NPC)
in the empty room to your right and it's an auto victory.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
BTW, anyone have experience with both Darkmoon Blade and Sunlight Blade buffs? I'm trying to level up my social link with the Darkmoon Blade Covenant, but it is a pretty big pain in the ass. Both miracles require 30 faith and the former requires me to stay in the covenant. Going for Sunlight Blade means I have to kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin and forsake the Darkmoon Blade Covenant altogether. I kinda just want to forget the covenant stuff and get the lightning buff, but I've heard the Darkmoon Blade buff is stupid good.

Decisions, decisions...

Top Bottom