• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zeliard

Put down your summon sign and help other people. Good way to learn the boss fights and get some humanity.

This.

Also, go for that bosses' legs. Like his counterpart in Demon's Souls, he's got quite the Achilles' heel. Hyuk hyuk.

Swipe at his ankles and he'll eventually go down for a good chunk of time, where you're free to just wail on him.

OK, I seem to be "missing" something but I'm completely stuck at the
Moonlight Butterfly (Darkroot Garden)
boss battle.

Its attacks are simply infuriating. I don't have a magic shield so I have to dodge its attacks to not take any damage, but it seems like the damn thing is random on top of random. The only one of its three main attacks that I can actually see coming are the ones where it takes out its beam, and that's only because it starts looking in one particular direction before firing. Additionally, I like that attack because I can actually dodge it consistently.

The other two, however, are a complete crapshoot. First of all, it doesn't seem to communicate which of the two attacks it's going to do at all. Second of all, the slow energy bomb attack is completely ridiculous because it can kill me in one hit if all the bombs hit me at once. Third of all, the dodging seems to be completely random because sometimes I time the dodge perfectly and yet I still get hit, and sometimes I mess up the timing but I miraculously escape getting hit. Fourth of all, the previous thing is exacerbated by the thing that annoys me the most about this fucker: some of its attacks come out too early. Sometimes it releases the attack right in the middle of its "charging mah lazorz" animation, sometimes at the end like it's supposed to, meaning there's absolutely no way to time the dodges reliably, because you have to dodge at EXACTLY the moment the attack starts to come out or you risk getting hit (if he's releasing the magic spear things (which, again, I don't even know if those are going to come out or if the bomb ones will), you're GUARANTEED to get hit in that case).

I have a heavy-ish character so I don't dodge fast, but I tried removing equipment to see if dodging faster helped any and it didn't. Still didn't know which attack was coming, still attacked too early occasionally, still got hit after dodging when I shouldn't have, etc. The only time I got close to killing it was when the AI broke a bit and it started switching sides repeatedly, wasting its time between its nectar feedings. Then I died on that one because I ran out of Estus Flasks and I went right back to dying randomly in the following tries.

So yeah, I need help on that one badly. The randomness is what makes the whole boss battle infuriating. I'm also not sure if I'm doing the right amount of damage. I can take out three "big rectangles" of its health (I'm too frantic at that point to count exactly how much damage I'm dealing, so I can't give a number) each time it lands. Is that too little?

This.

Also, go for that bosses' legs. Like his counterpart in Demon's Souls, he's got quite the Achilles' heel. Hyuk hyuk.

Swipe at his ankles and he'll eventually go down for a good chunk of time, where you're free to just wail on him.

So satisfying the time I beat the shit out of him so badly he
stumbled and fell off the side.

Emitan

boss battle.

Its attacks are simply infuriating. I don't have a magic shield so I have to dodge its attacks to not take any damage, but it seems like the damn thing is random on top of random. The only one of its three main attacks that I can actually see coming are the ones where it takes out its beam, and that's only because it starts looking in one particular direction before firing. Additionally, I like that attack because I can actually dodge it consistently.

The other two, however, are a complete crapshoot. First of all, it doesn't seem to communicate which of the two attacks it's going to do at all. Second of all, the slow energy bomb attack is completely ridiculous because it can kill me in one hit if all the bombs hit me at once. Third of all, the dodging seems to be completely random because sometimes I time the dodge perfectly and yet I still get hit, and sometimes I mess up the timing but I miraculously escape getting hit. Fourth of all, the previous thing is exacerbated by the thing that annoys me the most about this fucker: some of its attacks come out too early. That means that there's absolutely no way to time the dodges reliably, because you have to dodge at EXACTLY the moment the attack starts to come out or you risk getting hit (if he's releasing the magic spear things (which, again, I don't even know if those are going to come out or if the bomb ones will), you're GUARANTEED to get hi in that case).

I have a heavy-ish character so I don't dodge fast, but I tried removing equipment to see if dodging faster helped any and it didn't. Still didn't know which attack was coming, still attacked too early occasionally, still got hit after dodging when I shouldn't have, etc. The only time I got close to killing it was when the AI broke a bit and it started

So yeah, I need help on that one badly. The randomness is what makes the whole boss battle infuriating. I'm also not sure if I'm doing the right amount of damage. I can take out three "big rectangles" of its health (I'm too frantic at that point to count exactly how much damage I'm dealing, so I can't give a number) each time it lands. Is that too little?
Remove everything and dodge. I thought it was going to have a second form or something because of how easy it was.

Sentenza

Probably old, but...

4CtLd.jpg

IoCaster

Run right and forwards to get the capra and the dogs away from the stairs, then run up the stairs, if you take care of the dogs up there, it makes it a lot easier.

Tips for the Capra Demon. (I used to hate this boss but after watching EpicNameBro and his tips for this boss, it is now a breeze).
1. Shield with a good stability rating
2. a thrusting weapon of some kind (i usually use the estoc)
3. buff said weapon with a resin to help kill those dogs fast (poke at them with shield up).
4. Poise is good here as well. Use the Wolf ring to help with poise. Last thing you want is to be staggered while fighting the Capra demon.

This is my second character due to a corrupted save so I'm not as buffed as I was the first time. I'm still using the starting thief gear for the most part and getting staggered a lot by those dogs before I can get clear. I know what I have to do, it's just a matter of making it to the stairs in one piece so I can kill the dogs and get a decent chance to heal. I'll get it done. Thanks for the tips.

Dascu

boss battle.

The other two, however, are a complete crapshoot. First of all, it doesn't seem to communicate which of the two attacks it's going to do at all. Second of all, the slow energy bomb attack is completely ridiculous because it can kill me in one hit if all the bombs hit me at once. Third of all, the dodging seems to be completely random because sometimes I time the dodge perfectly and yet I still get hit, and sometimes I mess up the timing but I miraculously escape getting hit. Fourth of all, the previous thing is exacerbated by the thing that annoys me the most about this fucker: some of its attacks come out too early. Sometimes it releases the attack right in the middle of its "charging mah lazorz" animation, sometimes at the end like it's supposed to, meaning there's absolutely no way to time the dodges reliably, because you have to dodge at EXACTLY the moment the attack starts to come out or you risk getting hit (if he's releasing the magic spear things (which, again, I don't even know if those are going to come out or if the bomb ones will), you're GUARANTEED to get hit in that case).

I have a heavy-ish character so I don't dodge fast, but I tried removing equipment to see if dodging faster helped any and it didn't. Still didn't know which attack was coming, still attacked too early occasionally, still got hit after dodging when I shouldn't have, etc. The only time I got close to killing it was when the AI broke a bit and it started switching sides repeatedly, wasting its time between its nectar feedings. Then I died on that one because I ran out of Estus Flasks and I went right back to dying randomly in the following tries.

Tip:
Check the shrubbery under the stairs up to the fog gate for a summon sign. The NPC is quite useful. Be human of course.

EasyMode

I've been slowly making my way through the DLC content this weekend. Artorias and Manus are no joke, both of them royally whooped my ass. When I finally beat each boss I had used all 20 of my flasks.

BTW, anyone have experience with both Darkmoon Blade and Sunlight Blade buffs? I'm trying to level up my social link with the Darkmoon Blade Covenant, but it is a pretty big pain in the ass. Both miracles require 30 faith and the former requires me to stay in the covenant. Going for Sunlight Blade means I have to kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin and forsake the Darkmoon Blade Covenant altogether. I kinda just want to forget the covenant stuff and get the lightning buff, but I've heard the Darkmoon Blade buff is stupid good.

Decisions, decisions...

Power wise, they're about the same. SLB adds lightning damage and DMB adds magic damage. I prefer DMB simply because it makes swords look like lightsabers. And I can't stand the lightning sound effect of SLB.

Where should I go after Anor Londo? I went through the Catacombs and ended up in Tomb of the Giants where I got my ass handed to me. I left there and went back to Anor Londo and up to the Dukes Archives, which was a bitch to get through, and ended up in the Crystal Caves where I got my ass handed to me again. I'm not able to do enough damage to the boss and right before the boss
I'm having a lot of trouble killing those stupid walking clams. They're hard to kill and do too much damage.

For reference, I'm about level 53 (Cleric) and using astora's straight sword +5.

Grief.exe

Where should I go after Anor Londo? I went through the Catacombs and ended up in Tomb of the Giants where I got my ass handed to me. I left there and went back to Anor Londo and up to the Dukes Archives, which was a bitch to get through, and ended up in the Crystal Caves where I got my ass handed to me again. I'm not able to do enough damage to the boss and right before the boss
I'm having a lot of trouble killing those stupid walking clams. They're hard to kill and do too much damage.

For reference, I'm about level 53 (Cleric) and using astora's straight sword +5.

Go to demon ruins and lost izalith they are really easy and you get a helmet that will help you in tomb of giants.

Or you can go to new londo ruins if you haven't placed the lord vessel yet.

Gestahl

Astora's straight sword isn't that great, even for a faith build. Use something else, and get it divined if you feel like it. Also the Lord areas tend to be lv60-75ish going by the coop guide so if you need anymore points you might want to level up now.

HiiiLife

So I finished Demon Souls a couple months ago and was wondering if the co-op in Dark Souls is the same as it's predecessor..

It will be pretty much make or break if I'm going to pick this up today for my PS3, or wait until holiday season.

Like the first game, do one of the players need to be in spirit form to do co-op?

Ridley327

So I finished Demon Souls a couple months ago and was wondering if the co-op in Dark Souls is the same as it's predecessors. It will be pretty much make or break if I'm going to pick this up today for my PS3, or wait until holiday season.

Like the first game, do one of the players need to be in spirit form to do co-op?

No; you can be Hollow or Human to be a co-op partner. Ony Humans can summon phantoms, though.

EasyMode

So I finished Demon Souls a couple months ago and was wondering if the co-op in Dark Souls is the same as it's predecessors. It will be pretty much make or break if I'm going to pick this up today for my PS3, or wait until holiday season.

The player summoning needs to be human. Spirit form is now called hollow, and you use humanity instead of ephemeral eyes. The co-op isn't as good though since it's not server based like Demon's Souls. It uses peer-to-peer connections which aren't always reliable, resulting failed summons & invasions.

So I finished Demon Souls a couple months ago and was wondering if the co-op in Dark Souls is the same as it's predecessor..

It will be pretty much make or break if I'm going to pick this up today for my PS3, or wait until holiday season.

From what I've played so far, yes, but it's called "hollow" here instead of spirit. The bright side is, where in Demon's Souls your health is reduced in spirit form, that penalty doesn't exist while you're "hollowed".

HiiiLife

No; you can be Hollow or Human to be a co-op partner. Ony Humans can summon phantoms, though.

Spirit form is now called hollow, and you use humanity instead of ephemeral eyes. The co-op isn't as good though since it's not server based like Demon's Souls. It uses peer-to-peer connections which aren't always reliable, resulting failed summons & invasions.

From what I've played so far, yes, but it's called "hollow" here instead of spirit. The bright side is, where in Demon's Souls your health is reduced in spirit form, that penalty doesn't exist while you're "hollowed".

Hmm. With Demon Souls I played with random people, which I assume was the intended way to play.

But with Dark Souls I am trying to get my brother to do co-op with me on his own PS3. Is there gonna be some sort of invite feature in this one?

fuck fuck fuck

the regular entrance to blighttown is wrecking me. first time through I merrily romped my way in through the side door, leaving a few butt-stabbed fatties by the wayside. for some reason I'm having a terrible time getting past the ones on the walkway without being knocked off the edge.

Emitan

fuck fuck fuck

the regular entrance to blighttown is wrecking me. first time through I merrily romped my way in through the side door, leaving a few butt-stabbed fatties by the wayside. for some reason I'm having a terrible time getting past the ones on the walkway without being knocked off the edge.

youre not naked enough

EasyMode

Hmm. With Demon Souls I played with random people, which I assume was the intended way to play.

But with Dark Souls I am trying to get my brother to do co-op with me on his own PS3. Is there gonna be some sort of invite feature in this one?

Still random, and there's no invite feature. If you want to co-op you'll have to coordinate where to put summon signs.

Eusis

The player summoning needs to be human. Spirit form is now called hollow, and you use humanity instead of ephemeral eyes. The co-op isn't as good though since it's not server based like Demon's Souls. It uses peer-to-peer connections which aren't always reliable, resulting failed summons & invasions.
Yeah, I'm hoping they can go back to the server style for the next game, perhaps have p2p code as backup for whenever they pull the servers.

I don't think there's invites, but I guess you could always put your summon sign in a really obscure place and have him join you game that way. =D

derFeef

I really like this game, but so many aspects are unclear and the fact that you can get invaded and simple get killed by other players takes the fun out...

HiiiLife

I don't think there's invites, but I guess you could always put your summon sign in a really obscure place and have him join you game that way. =D

Still random, and there's no invite feature. If you want to co-op you'll have to coordinate where to put summon signs.

Yeah that sounds like a plan. I will probably kill myself alot to help him out since he's new to the series. But the news that my health isn't decreased when I'm in Hollow form is a definite plus. Lol. Any other beneficial changes that would help me before we start the story?

I really like this game, but so many aspects are unclear and the fact that you can get invaded and simple get killed by other players takes the fun out...

You can only be invaded while you are in human form and in an area in which you haven't yet killed the boss. Stay hollow until you need coop help and then you won't need to worry about being invaded.

Ridley327

Yeah that sounds like a plan. I will probably kill myself alot to help him out since he's new to the series. But the news that my health isn't decreased when I'm in Hollow form is a definite plus. Lol. Any other beneficial changes that would help me before we start the story?

The biggest one is the Estus Flask; instead of having to grind for healing items, you have a flask that gets refilled when you visit a bonfire (and can also be used to refill to a higher capacity, provided you have the humanity to spend to kindle a bonfire).

HiiiLife

The biggest one is the Estus Flask; instead of having to grind for healing items, you have a flask that gets refilled when you visit a bonfire (and can also be used to refill to a higher capacity, provided you have the humanity to spend to kindle a bonfire).

That sounds awesome. I'm also assuming the game is like the first one where my brother will need to defeat the first boss by himself before he can summon me?

Let's hope he can do that.

*crosses fingers*

Always kindle your bonfires as you get more flasks (potions in this game , no other way to heal other then spells or humanity).
The Royal class of this game seems to be the Pyromancer so if you need a good starter class, that seems to be the way to go.

But the benefits of being in human form are worth it no? Items at least. Or am I misunderstanding something.

Being in human form allows you to summon other players into your world and kindle bonfires but it also opens you up to invaders. The number next to your health bar is your humanity value. You can have humanity but not be in human form. You choose to change into human form at bonfires, which uses 1 humanity and kindling a fire uses 1 humanity. Once you kindle a fire you will be human until you die. If you don't want to kindle a bonfire or summon a player into your world, I don't think there are any other benefits to being in human form.

Ridley327

That sounds awesome. I'm also assuming the game is like the first one where my brother will need to defeat the first boss by himself before he can summon me?

Let's hope he can do that.

*crosses fingers*

There is one major catch with the Estus Flask, though; phantoms can't use it for themselves, so if you're summoned into the game, you have to rely on healing spells, other healing items (like humanity), or if you're close enough to the host, their Estus Flask can heal you as well when they use it.

I think that you're correct about the intro, though; you won't be able to play together until you reach Lordran.

I'm in [anor londo] now, and I think my Drake Sword isn't cutting it anymore. I think I need an upgrade. Any sword I could go for?

There are a ton of options. Almost anything is viable when upgraded. It just depends on the play style you like and your strength and dex stats.

I go with the longsword even though it doesn't hit all that hard because I like it's look and I love it's moveset. Though there are likely many other better options. A lot of people just use the lightning spear you find the Sen's Fortress.

Raxus

But the benefits of being in human form are worth it no? Items at least. Or am I misunderstanding something.

Item find is only related to humanity count and not being human and it caps at 10.

Being human only benefits you in that you get an occasional unique encounter, you can summon help for boss fights, and your resistances are SLIGHTLY elevated.

HiiiLife

Always kindle your bonfires as you get more flasks (potions in this game , no other way to heal other then spells or humanity).
The Royal class of this game seems to be the Pyromancer so if you need a good starter class, that seems to be the way to go.

There is one major catch with the Estus Flask, though; phantoms can't use it for themselves, so if you're summoned into the game, you have to rely on healing spells, other healing items (like humanity), or if you're close enough to the host, their Estus Flask can heal you as well when they use it.

I think that you're correct about the intro, though; you won't be able to play together until you reach Lordran.

Ok thanks for the heads up guys. I'm really looking foward to getting into this game.

Top Bottom