• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

Shamelessly plugging my Artorias NG+ kill video

Nothing special, just felt like recording. Would've killed him first try if I didn't get overconfident. As with most bosses he's easier/roughly the same difficulty on NG+, hoping on NG++ he'll be a significant step up.

Cool. I love using CMW+BSS+PW. What did you do to get FRAPS recording working? It kills my framerate, only records for 3 seconds, and in the resulting video, it shows the first frame the whole time while the audio progresses...

You can only be invaded while you are in human form and in an area in which you haven't yet killed the boss. Stay hollow until you need coop help and then you won't need to worry about being invaded.

I went human, summoned another player to beat a boss and seconds after they joined an invader popped in and slaughtered both of us. I had to shut it down and go get a coffee.

I like the invading, but it's a little wonky. You can't invade someone who is many levels below you, but you can stay at a relatively low level and spend a ton of time getting crazy upgraded gear and be way more powerful anyway. Maybe if it took into account level and which areas of the game you had opened up, so that you were at least fighting someone who had equipment that is available to you.

I went human, summoned another player to beat a boss and seconds after they joined an invader popped in and slaughtered both of us. I had to shut it down and go get a coffee.

I like the invading, but it's a little wonky. You can't invade someone who is many levels below you, but you can stay at a relatively low level and spend a ton of time getting crazy upgraded gear and be way more powerful anyway.

That'll happen. I was killed by an invader that was casting some crazy spell I never seen before down the narrow hallway that leads to the big hall before S&O in Ando Londo. You just can't let that stuff get to you.

Also, I love it when some invades when I've been summoned into someone else world. I feel like the players personal guard/

Quikies83

for the new content... what do I need to do in order to get Gough to
assist me with the black dragon? I've just unlocked the door to him but he doesn't really say much, heh.

HiiiLife

Actually I got another question. If there are multiple servers, what are the chances that I'll be able to see My brothers summon sign?

I mean we're playing in the same household so will that help our chances of playing on the same server? Lol.

Emitan

Upgraded my Scimitar to +5 because I wanted to try a DEX weapon. I like it because I have a lot of stamina so I can keep the attacks going and it's light enough that I can still use my Knight Shield.

But running around enemies and getting Claymore backstabs is fun too!

Ridley327

That'll happen. I was killed by an invader that was casting some crazy spell I never seen before down the narrow hallway that leads to the big hall before S&O in Ando Londo. You just can't let that stuff get to you.

Also, I love it when some invades when I've been summoned into someone else world. I feel like the players personal guard/

The one time an invader has gotten me was shortly after reaching the bonfire past the Anor Londo archers, and I was mad for about two seconds before realizing that they could have just as easily tried doing that before I got there. So, I had that going for me!

Upgraded my Scimitar to +5 because I wanted to try a DEX weapon. I like it because I have a lot of stamina so I can keep the attacks going and it's light enough that I can still use my Knight Shield.

But running around enemies and getting Claymore backstabs is fun too!
I love the scimitar! Its what Im currently using but I might switch to a katana soon...

Durante

I got invaded today and it was one of the most exciting things in any game ever. We literally battled for 20 minutes. Well, 95% of that was just spent circling around and feinting, but it was still awesome. And I won by a sliver of health.

This was the third time I got invaded, the other two times the invaders had crazy equipment/spells and just 1-shotted me.

Edit:
A question, is there a Catalyst better than the starting one that is available to someone around level 30?

Grief.exe

I'm in Anor Londo now, and I think my Drake Sword isn't cutting it anymore. I think I need an upgrade. Any sword I could go for?

Depends.

High Dex build you can go quelaggs or katana upgraded

Vit/end build some kind of lightning or fire weapon that won't scale with your str/dex stats. I'm currently using a +5 lightning claymore.

Shepard

Edit:
A question, is there a Catalyst better than the starting one that is available to someone around level 30?
There's one in Blightown, I went there at level 35-6, I guess.
Edit: to be more specific,
it's in the swamp área, on the other wooden structure that you climb using the rotating platforms.

wsippel

Banned
This Capra bitch is annoying. I killed it the first time after about 11-12 tries, but this second time is driving me nuts. I'm on my 22nd attempt and it's incredibly close quarters for a twitchy KB/M setup. Those fucking dogs...*rage*

Needed to take a break and vent a bit. Sonofabitch must pay and I'll shotgun a beer when I bury him and his shitty hounds.
As soon as you enter, run around him to the back over the right hand side, up the stairs and to the end of the ledge - the boss can't reach you there, but the dogs will follow you. Turn around, kill the dogs, heal if necessary, drop down (he should be right below you, so you might want to risk using a ledge attack), and keep your shield up after that. If he attacks with both hands, roll back (make sure there's always enough space behind you!), and be patient. You should be able to block his regular attacks. Close in after he misses an attack or gets blocked, hit him a few times, but don't be greedy. You have all the time in the world. Should you get hit (and survive), go back up the ledge to heal, or heal once he starts an attack you know won't hit you.

the capra demon problem isn't strategic, it's the opposite. the actual strat is really simple, the issue is executing it before getting pincered by the dogs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Capra is mostly luck because it all comes down to whether he makes it up the stairs, or the dogs make it up the stairs.

Once the dogs are done he's pretty easy. You can just walk a certain height above him on the stairs and he'll keep attacking you to no avail. Then you can just repeatedly drop down on him and tap him a few times before climbing back up.

Quikies83

Anybody around SL62 that can assist me in Tomb of Giants? I'm at the bonfire by patches.
Preferably someone with Sunlight of Maggot :)

Serra

I am having huge trouble with Gwyn. I can't do shit to him.

I suck at parrying so bad. I tried iron flesh + 2h weapon, couldn't keep him stunned long enough to heal myself.

:(

wsippel

Banned
I'm getting my ass whooped by
Iron Golem
and I don't have any humanity left to summon people. This sucks.
You could do what I did and stay close to the ledge. I had tons of problems with that fucker, but he's pretty dumb and tends to simply fall to death if you give him a reason.

OK, I seem to be "missing" something but I'm completely stuck at the
Moonlight Butterfly (Darkroot Garden)
boss battle.
A good bow and copious amounts of arrows can solve almost any problem in the Souls games, and this problem is no different. And use the cheap wooden arrows, not the more expensive standard version. Wood is good enough 99% of the time, and the poison arrows are what you want for the remaining one percent.

The two best bows in the game are found in Darkroot, by the way - and well worth investing some Titanite in.

gogogow

Anyone know how to get that item up there? Man, never knew how on the PS3. Still don't know while playing the PC version.
darksouls2012-09-02_0jwuhz.jpg

Shepard

Anyone know what do I do to kill
Ceaseless Discharge
?
When I played it on PS3, I just had to lure him into the beginning of the stage, but know he doesn't seems to be folowing me anymore. Instead, he just keeps a distance and keep spamming that fire-claw attack that kills me even with my shields on.
Anyone know how to get that item up there? Man, never knew how on the PS3. Still don't know while playing the PC version.
That's where you fight the
giant rat?
You have to go back to that place with the butcher and the dogs (at the entrance of the Depths), there's a hole behind those crates (behind the butcher's table), and they'll lead you there. It's way easier to fight the Giant Rat too.

Beaten while Editing.

Zaventem

You get there by going through the path
behind the butcher, you see the big rat from above if you take it that way
.I'm sure you took it already.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
any first time players beat the game yet ?

How do ya'll rate it or what are some of your impressions from the game ?

What boss or areas did you find the hardest ?

Favorite weapon ?

Favorite boss or enemy ?

Lucentto

Banned
Unsure about my next build. I hate slow weapons so my first character just used curved swords and daggers. I might just go with a faith build.

wsippel

Banned
any first time players beat the game yet ?

How do ya'll rate it or what are some of your impressions from the game ?

What boss or areas did you find the hardest ?

Favorite weapon ?

Favorite boss or enemy ?
Not quite done yet, but so far:

- It's amazing, but not quite as well paced or atmospheric as Demon's Souls IMHO
- Ornstein & Smough
- Scythe and Black Bow of Pharis
- Wheel skeletons

My favorite armor would be what I'm currently wearing: Head and legs from the Gold-Hemmed Black Armor set, chest piece from Crimson set, and arms from the Havel set, plus Spider Shield and Havel's ring (of course). Looks great, is very light and very well balanced, including some poise, good elemental resistance, poison resistance and even some curse resistance.

gogogow

lol bitcher
Fuck, lol

The butcher. He's near the entrance of the Depths, same place that has a ghoul + 2 dogs inside a little area with wather/mud
Ha, forget.
I know, but "behind" him? There's a wall behind him. IIRC on the PS3 I got up there, but the item was on the other side and I couldn't for the life of me get there. Anyone has a more detailed explanation how to get up there?

Ridley327

Fuck, lol

I know, but "behind" him? There's a wall behind him. IIRC on the PS3 I got up there, but the item was on the other side and I couldn't for the life of me get there. Anyone has a more detailed explanation how to get up there?

Look closer, as there's some breakable items that are hiding something.

wsippel

Banned
Yes, there's a wall behind him. And almost exactly behind the point where he stands when you enter, there's a small retraction with a hole in the ground - there might be some crates or barrels blocking the view. You need to jump down that hole.

Top Bottom