• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

gogogow

Look closer, as there's some breakable items that are hiding something.

Yes, there's a wall behind him. And almost exactly behind the point where he stands when you enter, there's a small retraction with a hole in the ground - there might be some crates or barrels blocking the view. You need to jump down that hole.

I usually break all the things in a room, can't help myself when playing Demon's/Dark Souls. But i'll check again, maybe it was too dark, i'll turn up the brightness, but the dithered colors are gonna be more apparent. You can easily see it in the screenshot I posted. Don't remember the PS3 having that problem...

Thanks.

Ridley327

How does weight work? Is it just the stuff I'm wearing that contributes to my speed, or does the stuff I'm carrying count as well?

It's just the stuff you have equipped to your body (hands, head, body, arms, and legs); stuff like the arrows, consumables, and rings won't add weight.

I was expecting Capra to be really difficult going by the description in this thread.
I beat him solo, well, I was kinda leveled up with lots of STR and DEX. After I noticed he was at 30% i cheesed him with pyro.
He killed me 3 times.

Help me out, gaf. Assuming that I stop leveling at SL100 I'll be leaving my end at 30 which gives me 70 equip load. Right now I'm using havels ring with the generic Giant armor+gauntlets, maidens skirt, and crown of dusk on my mage. I want to ditch the havels ring and keep my load under 50%, so I'm looking for suggestions on lighter armor.

Other gear includes Moonlight greatsword, tin crystallization catalyst, silver knight shield, pyromancy flame. With all of this on it comes to 42.5, so I need to lose 7.5 somewhere. What are some good weight:def pieces and how much should I be concerned about poise?

wsippel

Banned
How does weight work? Is it just the stuff I'm wearing that contributes to my speed, or does the stuff I'm carrying count as well?
Only what you're wearing. Carrying is free. If you prefer evasion to tanking, you should keep your equpment below 25% of the max weight, though. You can increase the max weight by leveling up endurance, or wearing certain equipment like Havel's Ring or the Ring of Favor and Protection.

Grief.exe

Anyone else reminded of Battletoads here?

Go side to side, avoiding obstacles. Even the animations look the same.

desktop2012090216205542.png

Durante

What I don't get is the point of the box you can buy if carrying weight is unlimited. Is it just to de-clutter your inventory? That's what I use it for.

Zaventem

Help me out, gaf. Assuming that I stop leveling at SL100 I'll be leaving my end at 30 which gives me 70 equip load. Right now I'm using havels ring with the generic Giant armor+gauntlets, maidens skirt, and crown of dusk on my mage. I want to ditch the havels ring and keep my load under 50%, so I'm looking for suggestions on lighter armor.

Other gear includes Moonlight greatsword, tin crystallization catalyst, silver knight shield, pyromancy flame. With all of this on it comes to 42.5, so I need to lose 7.5 somewhere. What are some good weight:def pieces and how much should I be concerned about poise?

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/
http://www.raymondhill.net/darksouls/darksouls-armor-calc.php

What I don't get is the point of the box you can buy if carrying weight is unlimited. Is it just to de-clutter your inventory? That's what I use it for.

Sounds right. i haven't found a way to sell stuff yet, so I'd have to scroll through a list of like 90 broken swords.

HiiiLife

Actually I got another question. If there are multiple servers, what are the chances that I'll be able to see My brothers summon sign?

I mean we're playing in the same household so will that help our chances of playing on the same server? Lol.

Anyone?

gogogow

You get there by going through the path
behind the butcher, you see the big rat from above if you take it that way
.I'm sure you took it already.

Look closer, as there's some breakable items that are hiding something.

Yes, there's a wall behind him. And almost exactly behind the point where he stands when you enter, there's a small retraction with a hole in the ground - there might be some crates or barrels blocking the view. You need to jump down that hole.

Yay! Got it! Thought it was just some souls, but it's a quite useful item! Thanks guys!

wsippel

Banned

Some poise is nice, but from my experience, it can actually be a problem as well. Poise prevents attacks from interrupting you. That certainly sounds good, but in some cases, that interruption would give you a chance to evade where higher poise would kill you. That's why I only wear Havel's Gauntlets to get at least a few points in poise (28 IIRC), and try to go for elemental and status defense otherwise. In that regard, the Crimson Robes are pretty damn good. Once upgraded, they offer pretty good protection against almost anything (including curse) at very low weight.

Zeliard

The Bottomless Box is a godsend even with no inventory weight. There are times when you want to switch up gear relatively quickly and having to scroll through tons of shit would be quite cumbersome.

Some poise is nice, but from my experience, it can actually be a problem as well. Poise prevents attacks from interrupting you. That certainly sounds good, but in some cases, that interruption would give you a chance to evade where higher poise would kill you. That's why I only wear Havel's Gauntlets to get at least a few points in poise (28 IIRC), and try to go for elemental and status defense otherwise. In that regard, the Crimson Robes are pretty damn good. Once upgraded, they offer pretty good protection against almost anything (including curse) at very low weight.

I've been using the Crimson Waistcloth all game. It's wondrous.

MLH

any first time players beat the game yet ?

How do ya'll rate it or what are some of your impressions from the game ?

What boss or areas did you find the hardest ?

Favorite weapon ?

Favorite boss or enemy ?

Almost finished, I've just opened the last area but have yet to explore the new content. So far it's GOTY material and an instant classic IMO. I can see myself replaying this game many times in the future. I did a lot of research before playing the game so I knew a few tricks and secrets, maybe some would consider it spoiling the fun but it saved me hours of frustration.

The bed of chaos was the worst boss, it was just stupid and cheap. I died far too many times just because the branches would sweep me off the collapsed floor when trying to reach the centre of the tree. Also the Anor Londo archers felt like one of the few unfair/ cheap parts of the game, everything else seems like fair play.

I'm terrified of the dark water areas; New Londo ruins and Darkroot Basin. The Hydra fight terrified me when I fell into the deep water, I became a bit paranoid after that.

Favourite weapon? I've been overusing Quelaag's Fury Sword but I've tried a whole range at this point; The fully upgraded balder side sword + crystal magic weapon is really overpowered.

Ornstein & Smough was my favourite boss fight, my heart was racing the entire time. I died once while observing their moves, Ornstein surprised me with
an across the room lunge attack.

The story is really interesting as far as I can piece together, I've yet to decide what the right action is
I helped Frampt the first time around as the game pushes you in that direction but I'm not sure it is for the good of Humanity. I thought Gwyn and Co. were Humans, but they are more like Divine beings. He sacraficed himself to continue the Age of Fire, but the fires continue to fade. Thus it appears its up to me to 'Link the Fire'. How does that help anyone? Will the fires continue to fade afterwards? What about the other option, can humans exist without the fire?
So many unanswered questions, and such an interesting way to tell a story.

Raxus

Just started my NG+ run today. I am halfway through Anor Lando. I am wayyyyyy too high level (SL 101) to see any summon signs. It is so lonely. Anyone around my level willing to help me with S&O?

I think I will skip most of the optional bosses this time around. Takes too much time to earn stuff I no longer need.

Serra

Finally beat Gwyn with a totally lame tactic. Strafed around a rock and took potshots at him with a non-upgraded black knight halberd.

Blasted straight into New Game+, first death was to the Bell Gargoyles as I tried to cut the first one's tail off. I had missed the gargoyle tail axe the first time around so I wanted to get it. Anyway, lost around 150k souls to that lol. Not that it matters, im level 70 and I don't want to level up for a bit anyway, so I can coop if I really need to. Me ringing first bell in NG+

Gonna probably roll a new character (dex/int, my main character is strength) to play around with a different style. Then decide which of those characters in gonna take into NG++ for that pesky "Knights Honor" achievement. I normally don't care about achievements but this I would like to plat.

Can't wait to jump back in tomorrow!

HiiiLife

just keep using the sign, like wait for 20 secs and if he doesn't see it place it again. it should work and you can play with friends but for me it never worked. If I was able to see the sign it was just a *summon failed*.

Okay thanks for the tip. I'm also assuming that we'll have a higher chance of being on the same server considering were playing on the same router?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is incredible. I'm enjoying it far more this time around. My elite Demon's Souls skills are coming back to me, if feels good to be able to own those big, mean giant knights now. I'm pure melee, no shield, just two-handing a pretty badass halberd. It's working suprisingly well, I have a lot of reach on my enemies.

[/IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/controllerwyi9j.png[/IMG]

dat warning

Well, at least they're warning you....

On the other hand, no real reason to make the kb+m controls that horrible.

EDIT: Re: the butterfly boss I was stuck in. I just summoned the witch NPC. I was tired of dealing with that thing, though I guess that means I need to work on my dodging.

Khal_B

Hey guys, Dark Souls noob here. Been enjoying the game but I'd like to know how do you tell when you've met the requirements to wield a weapon? I've gotten a few from Black Knights and some bosses, but I'm unable to wield them properly due to my current stats. Been putting most of my stats into endurance and strength.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hey guys, Dark Souls noob here. Been enjoying the game but I'd like to know how do you tell when you've met the requirements to wield a weapon? I've gotten a few from Black Knights and some bosses, but I'm unable to wield them properly due to my current stats. Been putting most of my stats into endurance and strength.

When viewing an item in your inventory, push X and it will display the required attributes for the item under where it says "ReqParam". It just shows icons, but if you view your character attributes listing to the right, you can line up the icon with the attribute it reprents.

Anyways, you just have to level those attributes to meet the requirement.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY SHIT!

I just killed some guy while invading as a Forest Hunter, and he dropped A MILLION SOULS!

:O

:D
You basically invaded someone using a trianer/cheats

I've invaded people 3 times where they dropped 900k, 850k, and 900k~ souls. The number is always around 1 million because they set their souls to 99,999,999 or something and you get like 1 percent of that or something at higher soul counts.

Khal_B

When viewing an item in your inventory, push X and it will display the required attributes for the item under where it says "ReqParam". It just shows icons, but if you view your character attributes listing to the right, you can line up the icon with the attribute it reprents.

Anyways, you just have to level those attributes to meet the requirement.

Ahh, I see it now. Still have a lot to go before I can wield some of these weapons lol. Thanks, Snuggies.

You basically invaded someone using a trianer/cheats

I've invaded people 3 times where they dropped 900k, 850k, and 900k~ souls. The number is always around 1 million because they set their souls to 99,999,999 or something and you get like 1 percent of that or something at higher soul counts.

Not complaining here, glad I could stick it to him. He was actually playing quite poorly, so I was a bit taken back when he dropped that many souls. Mind you, I'm actually playing the original DS on ps3. Still, it was very nice to pop a shitload of points into my STR and DEX.

I think I'm done levelling, sitting very comfortable at Lvl 110.

Thinking of using some new armor, as I'm getting a bit sick of looking at Havel's set. What (upgraded) set can you guys recommend? Thinking of going with Silver Knight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Capra is defeated. My frustration with that fight was more or less what caused me to backlog the PS3 version. It was so intense, I'm still trembling from it. The Souls games have a way of doing that to me..

linko9

HOLY SHIT!

I just killed some guy while invading as a Forest Hunter, and he dropped A MILLION SOULS!

:O

:D

Sucks that this game is seemingly so easily hacked. Top Chaos Servant has given 60000 humanity. But that's awesome for you.

Anyone know what the deal is with the crystal golem at the entrance to Seath's Castle? That didn't used to be there. He just stands there and doesn't aggro. I didn't kill him in case it turned out he's some new NPC or something.

Viewtify

Banned
Sucks that this game is seemingly so easily hacked. Top Chaos Servant has given 60000 humanity. But that's awesome for you.

Anyone know what the deal is with the crystal golem at the entrance to Seath's Castle? That didn't used to be there. He just stands there and doesn't aggro. I didn't kill him in case it turned out he's some new NPC or something.

The golem has something to do with the DLC

Yeah I must say I was quite happy with that "little bonus" lol.

Regarding the golem, you can kill him (he's not an NPC) and when you do he drops something pretty special...

Sullichin

Are there soft caps on stats? esp VIT and END?

Stamina caps at 40END - but extra END after that will still increase your equip load. Also, if you have the ring of favor and protection, you can go over the max stamina you'd have at 40END. 40END + FAP Ring = 192 stamina, the max is 160 without.

VIT drops off sharply after 50.

Grief.exe

Wow Pinwheel and the Catacombs are a joke, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to do that before you open Sen's Fortress.

Then you can get the Rite of Kindling and progress through the game easier.

Wow Pinwheel and the Catacombs are a joke, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to do that before you open Sen's Fortress.

Then you can get the Rite of Kindling and progress through the game easier.

Not necessarily, the Catacombs leads through to
Tomb of the Giants, where you have to acquire a Lord Soul.

Some gamer named Cptn Cornflakes just scolded me over XBL for wearing Solaires Armor.

You should get indicted for that!

:p

Top Bottom