• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Grief.exe

Not necessarily, the Catacombs leads through to
Tomb of the Giants, where you have to acquire a Lord Soul.

Yes I know, you obviously don't go onto tomb of the giants after you kill Pinwheel.

It literally took me 2 and a half hits to kill Pinwheel, its meant for you to go down there much earlier.

epmode

Yes I know, you obviously don't go onto tomb of the giants after you kill Pinwheel.

It literally took me 2 and a half hits to kill Pinwheel, its meant for you to go down there much earlier.
Pinwheel is a joke, sure, but the Catacombs are pretty tough unless you have a divine weapon to kill the resurrecting skeletons before taking down the necromancers. This requires an ember found near Moonlight Butterfly. Pinwheel just seems like a mistuned boss.

Yeah I was surprised as well, with how easy the dude was. Actually found most bosses after S&O to be relatively okay to deal with. Apart from the final boss, had to try him like 30 times.

edit: and Bed of Chaos, but that one doesn't count.

ijed

The Bottomless Box is a godsend even with no inventory weight. There are times when you want to switch up gear relatively quickly and having to scroll through tons of shit would be quite cumbersome.

If you go to the inventory tab you can change order on items - Place all the gear you want to switch between quickly up the top.

Raxus

I just got summoned, don't think that was you though? my GT is the same as my gaf name

Nope but I beat the boss solo. Thanks for trying.

If you ever need help with a boss it is pretty much easy sailing for me from this point on since the rest of the bosses aren't as hard. Except Sif who was unblockable for some reason.

Razek

Banned
Wow Pinwheel and the Catacombs are a joke, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to do that before you open Sen's Fortress.

Then you can get the Rite of Kindling and progress through the game easier.

I did it before sens my first game and it was tough. Pinwheel was easy, but the catacombs were incredibly hard that I just ended up rolling past everything.

ArynCrinn

Banned
HOLY SHIT!

I just killed some guy while invading as a Forest Hunter, and he dropped A MILLION SOULS!

:O

:D

Just had a invasion where I killed a guy, by kicking him off Anor Londo, and he dropped over 700,000 souls.

Had one once on PS3 in the Burg where a guy dropped 3 million. Got me like 20-30 level ups and insane amounts of buying/upgrading done.

ArynCrinn

Banned
When you guys invade people do you 'play by the rules' or do you do whatever it takes to win?

If I invade, which is rarely if ever, I always play by the rules. Aside from once where I used a titanite demon to my advantage in Sen's. I was around SL180, kicked the guy down to the bottom from where he was fighting the three lightning snakes, and used the demon's to help me out.

Sullichin

When you guys invade people do you 'play by the rules' or do you do whatever it takes to win?

I'm often invading to duel, but i prefer to be invaded in this case to prevent people from healing with estus and ganking. I like the undead burg and painted world the most for this purpose.
When I invade elsewhere (pretty much every area in the game from Sens onward), I'm there to be a mini boss that the host has to take out. I don't heal (unless I inflict a lot of fall/lava damage), I use light or medium armor (just a playstyle preference really) and I won't backstab if you're bowing. Depending on the situation I'll use the enemies or interactive areas in the level to my advantage and just generally try to make an interesting encounter. My favorite character to invade with (on PS3) is naked with a club +15, and red tearstone ring. Surprisingly effective. I gotta make him again.

Mupod

Well, I finally beat it. 60 hours on 360 back during the original release and I never even finished it, then 50 more on PC.

Fought Gwyn without parries. I've had a massive boner for manly 1 on 1 swordfights in video games since running into a Stalfos in Ocarina of Time, you can imagine what I thought about Artorias. I'm not really sure what happened in the ending but I bet the internet figured it out.

Before finishing the fight I went on a killing/dark hand draining spree and...I feel really bad about it. Especially Gough, Laurentius and the Fair Lady. Even Chester. But...it's okay now, they're all back. And now I can dress up like everybody.

When I killed Petrus he dropped something that suggests he's the one who killed Reah when I wasn't looking. That piece of shit.

Razek

Banned
Fun stories! Are there any restrictions to invading? Can I do it to noobies in the undead burg/parish to play around as a fake miniboss as Sullichin mentioned it and go easy on them? I'd like to spice up the beginning for people. It would get me back in the game for sure.

Zzoram

Fun stories! Are there any restrictions to invading? Can I do it to noobies in the undead burg/parish to play around as a fake miniboss as Sullichin mentioned it and go easy on them? I'd like to spice up the beginning for people. It would get me back in the game for sure.

You can only invade people 10 levels +10% above/below your level. You also can only invade people in areas where they haven't killed the boss yet.

If you are really high level and invade the Undead Burg, you're likely getting NG+ or NG++ guys not noobs.

A real troll would rush to get a strong elemental weapon like the Lightning Spear as a level 5 character and invade the Undead Burg to get noobs.

Or you can do mid-level invasions with the spell that makes you look like a barrel or urn and ambush people.

NBtoaster

There are level restrictions for regular invading. Only around and above your level.

You can get around some restrictions with certain covenants. The Darkmoon covenant probably has the widest level range, but you only invade people who have sinned.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
You can only invade people 10 levels +10% above/below your level. You also can only invade people in areas where they haven't killed the boss yet.

If you are really high level and invade the Undead Burg, you're likely getting NG+ or NG++ guys not noobs.

A real troll would rush to get a strong elemental weapon like the Lightning Spear as a level 5 character and invade the Undead Burg to get noobs.

Or you can do mid-level invasions with the spell that makes you look like a barrel or urn and ambush people.
10 + 10% is only for coop

Invasion is more around 10% below and ∞ above. So as a SL40 darkwraith you can invade people SL36 - SL 713

The exception is with darkmoon players who invade darkwraiths, in which case the lower limit depends on how many indictions the darkwraith has. And forest covenant, where there's no rules whatsoever.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
No one told me how ;~;
Bought from Shiva of the East, a hunter/merchant that will sell you exotic weapons in Blighttown near the water wheel if you are joined up with the Forest covenant. Once you buy all his stock he is one the few NPCs I recommend killing so that you can get his bodyguard's flip ring.

As long as you don't kill Solaire or the Fair Lady you're cool in my book.

Razek

Banned

I was thinking of doing a soul level 1 run at least for the first part up to sens. So I could get people up to level 10 then? That sounds about what I want.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking of doing a soul level 1 run at least for the first part up to sens. So I could get people up to level 10 then? That sounds about what I want.
No, there's no upper limit, you could invade a SL100 or SL200 as a SL1.

The best bet would for you to invade undead burg since you would mostly get players who would just be starting there. You could also just as easily get someone SL80+ who is on NG+ though

Razek

Banned
No, there's no upper limit, you could invade a SL100 or SL200 as a SL1.

The best bet would for you to invade undead burg since you would mostly get players who would just be starting there. You could also just as easily get someone SL80+ who is on NG+ though

Whoa that's not what I want, haha! I suppose it will be fun trying to fight off the level 100 people with my level 1 character though.

EasyMode

That was my fault. They asked about getting a katana and I said you could get one early by killing the merchant :/

It's okay, he had an annoying laugh anyways.

Speaking of annoying laughs, there's an NPC in the DLC area who's guilty of this. He's got some pretty nice threads too...

joe2187

Banned
I finally made it towards the DLC area

I should have known better, when I first entered the area it wasn't going to be easy...

4 deaths later, I made it past the guardian...and got my ass handed to me by a scarecrow, Then I got cocky with some giant golem and he DP'ed my ass off a cliff, made it pass that and got swarmed by every living thing in the forest.

I LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

There are no rules. Taking advantage of terrain/monsters/etc ads a lot of depth and it's extremely appealing to me. If scrubs want to get mad about it then there's an arena they can go to now that eliminates some of those things.

Though I've seen people have started complaining about using magic in the arena, even. Take that away too and they'll just find something new to bitch about.

you just inspired me to roll a sociopath next and kill every NPC in the game

Killing all the NPCs is like the last thing you do before you move on to NG+ anyway.

Grief.exe

10 + 10% is only for coop

Invasion is more around 10% below and ∞ above. So as a SL40 darkwraith you can invade people SL36 - SL 713

The exception is with darkmoon players who invade darkwraiths, in which case the lower limit depends on how many indictions the darkwraith has. And forest covenant, where there's no rules whatsoever.

I'm a first time player but from what I read its true.
Invasion its 10 + 10% below your level but infinity above.

It kinda sucks because I was invading someone who was 40 levels above me one night, but it helped me to learn. When I finally beat him the last 2 times I felt so good.

Top Bottom