• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ashler

Judging from the comments here i'm gonna go out on a limb and call it: DS - PtD edition is gonna be GAF's GOTY of 2012. :)

derFeef

What you need to understand is that it is your own fault. Seriously...and that's why its so rewarding. It pushes you as a gamer far beyond what you think is possible of yourself.

If you die, you need to improve in some way. Strategy, gear, memorization, etc. Its always something that YOU can influence and overcome, if you wish. Its never unfair. And when you do finally overcome a difficult section, you feel like you're the top of the world, because your hard effort paid off big time.

I love it.

Well... it is not my own fault when I explore the area and suddenly stand infront of a 4 ft. tall knight who jump-backstabs me after I flee like a coward ;)

But yeah, I thought the dying would brake me, but I have no problem with it actually since I learned something. The only thing that bothers me is the repetition because of it.

NBtoaster

This game has maintained an admirable position in Steam Stats since release. There hasn't been much of a drop off (around 10,000 peak first weakend to 8000 peak today), seemingly better than Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2.

derwalde

my estoc build ist so much more fun, but so much harder than running around with my claymore lightning +5. but im getting the hang of parrying :)

heater shield ftw!

"oh a ghost, I'll just hide behind this wall"

YOU DIED

"Looks like I've cleared this room out"

fc,220x200,black.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
I am this close from breaking my motherfucking controller, THIS CLOSE! FUCK THIS GAME!

I knew I shouldn't of bought this, damn GMG sale.

I'm going to bed.
If you're getting that stuck, you can always reverse to human form and summon someone to help you out. No shame in that (though you'll miss a big chunk of the challenge).

Patience is a virtue in DS. And repetition is part of the gameplay. It's like the first level of Mario - no matter how many times you've completed those games, you can still fall down a bottomless pit on 1-1 due to a mistimed jump. The Souls series was never about running through the game once and then letting it collect dust on the shelf.

Those enemy placements and attack patterns should be burned into your memory by the time you get to Gwyn, then you have NG+ or a new character to try your skills out on. There's way too much to do in this game for just one run through.

Ashler

Is the Drake Sword worth going for? I would be in the right spot atm.

Its a great sword to start with as it deals massive amounts of damage when comparing to your initial enemies. Moving forward it gets less and less useful as it does not scale with your stats, unlike other weapons.

Jintor

I can't tell you how incredibly good it feels to have whaled away on that giant spider chick with a buddy and an npc.

Someone else tanking makes boss battles so much easier

Just started the game on PC, I tried to see if I could get that Firekeeper Soul in New Londo right at the beginning of the game and it worked like a charm.

iKs0PLi2WeHDo.gif

the souls sacrificed, the humanity lost. i will make this game pay for what it has done.
lol

That's actually the secret to the game, it took me something like 60 hours to fully accept it: losing humanity and souls isn't very important, they can be regained very easily. Items, components, weapons, spells are way more important and you can't lose them.

Zeliard

You can end up losing quite a lot of humanity eventually, especially if you get into Chaos weapons (where you'll be having a minimum of 10 humanity on you at all times), and like to be summoned for co-op a lot. You just get used to going around with tons of humanity on you.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So where should I go after ringing the first bell? The guide I'm using suggests Lower Undead Burg but the Capra demon is there and I really don't want to face quite yet. What's the easiest place to explore next for a Souls noob?

KarmaCow

Is there some sort of trick for the Iron Golem? I beat him eventually but he seemed like the only tough boss so far where it was just execution. It took so long because he had so much health which meant more chances for that stupid grab to get me when I'm a mile away.

Taruranto

What class are you?

It's one of the easiest bosses, you can
summon the paladin to help you
try to make him fall
or
fight him from distance, his attacks can be easily paired with a shield and won't do much damage.

finally I'm in the Darkwraith with a red eye orb, it's time to FAIL TO INVADE.

Fixed.

Dascu

So where should I go after ringing the first bell? The guide I'm using suggests Lower Undead Burg but the Capra demon is there and I really don't want to face quite yet. What's the easiest place to explore next for a Souls noob?
Maybe look into getting the Drake Sword. That should kill off Capra Demon fairly fast. Otherwise, if you have the Master Key, you can unlock a shortcut to the area where the boss of the next bell is, allowing you to skip lower Undead Burg and the area+boss after that. That will probably be harder, for a beginner, than actually beating those bosses though.

KarmaCow

What class are you?

It's one of the easiest bosses, you can
summon the paladin to help you
try to make him fall
or
fight him from distance, his attacks can be easily paired with a shield and won't do much damage.

I'm Melee class and my strat was just
run to his left when he took a swing, run behind him, wail on his ankles for 2 or 3 hits, back up to avoid the grab and repeat. After a certain point I did it naked for speed because my armour didn't seem to mitigate the damage anyway. I never actually tried blocking because of how much damage the attack did, I figured it wouldn't work, so I just when 2 handed. I also suck at parrying.

I tried summoning someone else to help but they didn't really get his attention consistently enough. I made him stumble which was invaluable though I'm not sure what triggers it beyond damage, but can you make him fall off the edge? That would have been satisfying for all the bullshit throws. Lost a lot of humanity/souls because of that.

Mafro

So according to one of the wikis, the shield on the Dark Hand blocks all of the Four King's magical attacks? I'll need to try that later.

Capra isn't that hard honestly. Most of the places you could go instead are probably more difficult. There's something like a 2 minute run from the nearest bonfire to it so retrying isn't an issue. I had a way tougher time with one of the following levels than with soloing it. It's mostly psychological, there's nothing patently hard about it.

You could try:
- the Darkroot Garden/Basin (which are located after the blacksmith in the parish)
- salvaging some items from New Londo/Valley of the Drakes, which you can access from the Firelink Shrine. New Londo has early on a Firekeeper soul and there's a couple of items in Valley of the Drakes (I don't find them particularly useful though)
- killing one NPC for a good accessory
if you rescued Lautrec in the Undead Parish, he'll be at Firelink, you could managed to kick him off a cliff and loot his ring that increases HP and equipment load. He's an asshole anyway and that ring helped me a lot at the beginning
- building up a bit, you could run around the Parish, killing Balder knights and hoping to drop a Balder Side Sword (which is the DEX sword I used for the whole game). That can take a stupid amount of time and the thing that really matters with a weapon isn't so much its stats as how much you like its moveset so YMMV.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Maybe look into getting the Drake Sword. That should kill off Capra Demon fairly fast. Otherwise, if you have the Master Key, you can unlock a shortcut to the area where the boss of the next bell is, allowing you to skip lower Undead Burg and the area+boss after that. That will probably be harder, for a beginner, than actually beating those bosses though.

Capra isn't that hard honestly. Most of the places you could go instead are probably more difficult. There's something like a 2 minute run from the nearest bonfire to it so retrying isn't an issue. I had a way tougher time with one of the following levels than with soloing it. It's mostly psychological, there's nothing patently hard about it.

You could try:
- the Darkroot Garden/Basin (which are located after the blacksmith in the parish)
- salvaging some items from New Londo/Valley of the Drakes, which you can access from the Firelink Shrine. New Londo has early on a Firekeeper soul and there's a couple of items in Valley of the Drakes (I don't find them particularly useful though)
- killing one NPC for a good accessory
if you rescued Lautrec in the Undead Parish, he'll be at Firelink, you could managed to kick him off a cliff and loot his ring that increases HP and equipment load. He's an asshole anyway and that ring helped me a lot at the beginning
- building up a bit, you could run around the Parish, killing Balder knights and hoping to drop a Balder Side Sword (which is the DEX sword I used for the whole game). That can take a stupid amount of time and the thing that really matters with a weapon isn't so much its stats as how much you like its moveset so YMMV.

Hmmmm, interesting. I already have the Drake sword and Laurtec's ring so maybe I'll be ok. I'm SL 22. Should I level up a bit getting mt health and vitality higher? Also, I've leveled up the claymore to +5. I'm a Pyro and I plan on focusing on sword+shield with sorcery/pyromancy to get me out of trouble. How should I level up my claymore?

Sarcasm

Man I am such a wuss....I gotten to the bonfire near the place where you see a giant rat. I see a ladder and a hallway..too scared to try either. Though I have a feeling ladder is wrong way.

Top Bottom