• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Eusis

with the ring it was 75% or something like that. :3
The fact you "needed" to wear that ring practically all the time actually put my brother off to Demon's Souls despite enjoying it.

For Dark Souls he dug into it, then bought his own copy on 360 later.

arit

On the bright side you do not need any transient curses and can block with your shield in the ruins.

No stacking though is just so casual game, no more fear after the first curse like back in the days after vanilla release :(

NBtoaster

I used to be afraid of the curse frogs. But today I had to farm them because I accidentally gave up all my eyes of death. They're not so hard.

Though being cursed is one of the most demoralising things that can happen in the game, I wonder how many people just give up afterwards.

Question about the DLC and Kalameet:

Where do I go after I've killed Kalameet? Is there any more story or bosses? I've beaten Artorias and Manus but the mushroom doesn't seem to acknowledge my accomplishments and there's not really anyone else to talk to besides Gough. I got his sweet bow though, so I guess that's a nice reward.

Valygar

I was cursed in the depths, and since I'm a cheap bastard I decided not to buy the cure from the merchant.

I decided to go to new londo, like the npc advised...

Now I hate him but I'm proud, after wasting like 20k souls in repeated deaths now I am uncursed again. But now I'm wiser, and I have two good items as well...

I'm trying not to read much spoilers gaf, but I'm terribly undecided with the weapons. So far I've tried a Bastard Sword (I like it and it's +3 now), a zweihander (meh), great axe (it's fun!). I wanted to go strength, but it seems I won't be able to use with advantage any normal/medium speed weapon.

I don't know if I just should upgrade my battle axe, and maybe the bastard sword (or a new weapon, like the great axe).

The animation attacks are the same even if you don't have the stats to use the weapon, right? If that's true, then it will be easier for me to decide.

FtHTiny

Where do I go after I've killed Kalameet? Is there any more story or bosses? I've beaten Artorias and Manus but the mushroom doesn't seem to acknowledge my accomplishments and there's not really anyone else to talk to besides Gough. I got his sweet bow though, so I guess that's a nice reward.

There are no more bosses or story hidden. Only some
slabs

Mupod

I couldn't get the mushroom to acknowledge me either. Maybe because I only talked to her once right after beating the Sanctuary Guardian? I don't remember ever getting a 'quest' for Manus. But yeah, assuming you found all the secrets and don't want to murder NPCs for their armor sets, sounds like you're done.

Pooya

which way is the Blighttown? I defeated the Capra Demon and got a key, it opens a way to some sewers. Am I on right track? lost here.

Ridley327

which way is the Blighttown? I defeated the Capra Demon and got a key, it opens a way to some sewers. Am I on right track? lost here.

If you haven't already defeated the boss of the Depths, you'll want to do that, as he has the key that opens up the door to Blighttown. That door is hard to miss, as you'll see it on your way to fight that boss.

BrettHD

Banned
They dropped the ball on that one, yes.

edit: LOL, if you hate Sen's Fortress then just quit the game right now. It's easily one of the best parts of DkS.

Sens Fortress is videogaming.
There should a video of Sens Fortress gameplay in the dictionary as the definition
of videogaming.

Jintor

Went back in. Got to the roof on Sen's Fortress, still no bonfire. Stopped on the roof to admire a giant busily loading boulders into a hole; got hit by a giant flaming explosion cannonball, burned to death.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Ridley327

Went back in. Got to the roof on Sen's Fortress, still no bonfire. Stopped on the roof to admire a giant busily loading boulders into a hole; got hit by a giant flaming explosion cannonball, burned to death.

Oh, you are going to hate yourself once you find out how close you were to the bonfire.

Hint: it pays to look over some ledges every once in a while.

This happened to me, but I got away with a sliver of life, it scared the crap out of me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I caved and just bought this because I didn't want to wait for the DLC and I wanted in on those juicy high res textures Durante enabled. Already platinumed it last year on PS3 so now let's see if those skills were retained! Gonna parry the fuck out of everything!

Raxus

If only you knew how close you were
to a bonfire
, then you will have to add a few more f's and u's to that.

I need to buy some green leafies. My stamina is maxed and I still constantly run out.

EasyMode

What's not to love about Sen's Fortress?

Gvaz

Banned
if you make a new char you start from 0.
if you go into new game+ you take everything with you besides keys and 1 ring.
Yeah I meant NG+, sorry.

I read on a wiki you lose all the "costumes" from doomhall of zena other than O+S and such armors.

Razek

Banned
What's not to love about Sen's Fortress?

The first time through it's not fun at all and just frustrating. Everything helpful like the bonfire and shortcuts are secretive. The second time though when you know everything it makes it actually really fun.

--
Going to start my PvP play around character. My goal is to build a 2 in 1. I want to be a quick thief assassin who drops in and scares the crap out of new players, and then I want to be a dual wielding katana boss who just stands impeding a players path in plane site.

Sadly, that means I have to pick thief so I can't be soul level one. Oh well, I guess I'll shoot for 8 or something so I can wield those katanas.

Jintor

Found it. Took a leap of faith and was rewarded. Oh my god, this fucking game. So aggravating... then so good.

That last run across the swinging blades is fucking terrifying, especially with the mage right there hurling lightning so you can't stop and think

How long does it normally take to get summoned? I'm just sitting in an enclosed path in the parish that you can't avoid waiting for someone to take my white sign.

arit

The first time through it's not fun at all and just frustrating. Everything helpful like the bonfire and shortcuts are secretive. The second time though when you know everything it makes it actually really fun.

--
Going to start my PvP play around character. My goal is to build a 2 in 1. I want to be a quick thief assassin who drops in and scares the crap out of new players, and then I want to be a dual wielding katana boss who just stands impeding a players path in plane site.

Sadly, that means I have to pick thief so I can't be soul level one. Oh well, I guess I'll shoot for 8 or something so I can wield those katanas.

Hunter/Warrior would be able to wield a Uchigatana with sl 6. Have you decided yet which way of invasion you'll take?

FtHTiny

How long does it normally take to get summoned? I'm just sitting in an enclosed path in the parish that you can't avoid waiting for someone to take my white sign.

Depends, if you are in the right level range it can go really quick, if you are to high you kinda have to hape that another slighty overleveld char comes around that wants help.

Jintor

Brad stonewalling 2010's DLCOTY is still one of my favourite GB listening experiences. I was painting a room at the time, so something close to 6 or 7 hours of airtime was appreciated.

Fistwell

That last run across the swinging blades is fucking terrifying, especially with the mage right there hurling lightning so you can't stop and think
Oh wow. I've never even dreamed of attempting to do that. I like to shoot his face full of arrows before venturing forth onto the ever so sharp razor's edge of doom and swinging blades of cutting death (and fury), above the cursed pit of headless giant-pole-swinging metal giants of (deadly) wrath.

Guess I've just been playing on easy-mode... The real dark souls starts here and all that.

Ridley327

Man, the explosion attacks of the Demon Firesage are pretty nasty if you don't have high fire resistance. Unfortunately for him, I did.

Jintor

Oh wow. I've never even dreamed of attempting to do that. I like to shoot his face full of arrows before venturing forth onto the ever so sharp razor's edge of doom and swinging blades of cutting death (and fury), above the cursed pit of headless giant-pole-swinging metal giants of (deadly) wrath.

Guess I've just been playing on easy-mode... The real dark souls starts here and all that.

b-but you can't stafe and aim! I'm talking about the last run before the fog wall for the roof.

Raxus

if you make a new char you start from 0.
if you go into new game+ you take everything with you besides keys and 1 ring.

Just to clarify this you do take the master key with you as well to NG+.

Embers, repair, and blacksmith boxes do not carry over.

Ridley327

b-but you can't stafe and aim! I'm talking about the last run before the fog wall for the roof.

Well, the idea is you poke your head out around the corner, headshot him, and continue shooting his head to stunlock him into never firing off his bolts. I do suppose if you run fast enough, you'll be relatively safe from his lighting bolts with the first pair of pendulums blocking them.

Fistwell

You can lock on, no need to aim. Alternately, you could probably find a sweet spot from which your arrows go through, but his spells catch the corner of the wall. Worst case, you can just pop out of cover and aim quick. I think you can even stun-lock him for a while if you keep getting head-shots.
All of them tedious techniques, but infinitely preferable (imo) to having to cross that thing with that guy hurling spells your way. But hey if you can manage it, more power to you! :D

arit

There are multiple ways? I thought you just used a reusable item and zoned in.

There is the Cracked Red Eye Orb, which is consumed on use and can be bought only after beating the Four Kings. But at that point you can also Join the Darkwraith covenant to get an non consumable one.

Besides that the other covenants also give you non consumable means of invading:

Darkmoon(get ring in catacombs and being able to visit Anor Londo)
Path of the Dragon covenant(Ash Lake)
Cat covenant(Darkroot Garden)
Gravelord Servant(coffin in the Catacombs)

So low level invasion is hard work.

EDIT: Or I am simply not seeing the obvious.

Raxus

There is the Cracked Red Eye Orb, which is consumed on use and can be bought only after beating the Four Kings. But at that point you can also Join the Darkwraith covenant to get an non consumable one.

Besides that the other covenants also give you non consumable means of invading:

Darkmoon(get ring in catacombs and being able to visit Anor Londo)
Path of the Dragon covenant(Ash Lake)
Cat covenant(Darkroot Garden)
Gravelord Servant(coffin in the Catacombs)

So low level invasion is hard work.

EDIT: Or I am simply not seeing the obvious.

Red Soapstone(Painted World), Cat Covenant ring, Darkmoon ring also let you invade.

DO NOT ENTER THE FOG GATE AT DARKMOON!

Razek

Banned
I had no idea it was going to be difficult to set up. I guess I'm going to have to go research this and pick the most beneficial one to me.

Ridley327

Yeah, after breezing through
hordes of tauri and capras
he was one rude wake up call.

I loved how evil the game was with regards to the
Taurus Demons.

"Sure, the first six you find in the lava bed won't ever respawn, but all of the other ones do!"

Also, that Kirk sure keeps trying. Maybe he'll get lucky one day.

dammit

I guess this is what it feels like to be one of those girls who keeps going back to an abusive guy (or vice versa)

I "quit" the game after frustration with capra demon reached unhealthy levels, but its all I can think about

I read an interesting angle to defeat him for magic users -
aural decoy

Top Bottom