• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Finalow

funny how I tried 12 times to invade and everytime it failed but NOPE, I'm the one who get invaded. 3 times, I like to kill them but I want to be the fucking invader.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Man I am such a wuss....I gotten to the bonfire near the place where you see a giant rat. I see a ladder and a hallway..too scared to try either. Though I have a feeling ladder is wrong way.

that rat is verrrrrrrrrrry weak and the fight with him is not forced upon you.

Haunted

I went with the Greatsword of Artorias and mainly a STR/DEX build. Can expand INT and FTH as needed.

What are the best recommendations for a quicker melee weapon with a different moveset to get some variety into NG+? Enchanted Falchion?

From the spear class, only the Crystal Halberd made some halfway decent damage in my experience...

One hit kill motherfucking mimics? ARGH
If you're not sure you can spot them, attack every chest. Every single one.

Jintor

Goddamnit. Lost 18k souls to boulders, then to getting frustrated and trying to rush past the snake guards.

I'm done for the night.

Zzoram

300hp? o_O

what level is that?

im only 10 vit and i have double that. -__-;

curse halves your hp

ohhhh. guess i got lucky then. i imagine it resets at bonfires though, right?

No :s You need to spend 4000 souls at the hollow woman merchant in the Firelink aqueduct or find the NPC in New Londo Ruins.

In version 1.0 on consoles it could be stacked, you could go down to 1hp.

KarmaCow

it's more that their grab attack bypasses shields...

Just circle strafe from a good distance away. It usually does the other longer range attacks so it doesn't try to close the distance that much. The grab has a long start up, fairly short range and will leave it open for a long time when it misses.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
ohhhh. guess i got lucky then. i imagine it resets at bonfires though, right?
No, you have to cure the curse via item or the priest where the ghosts are.

You can tell if you have the curse because your health bar will be half empty when you're fully healed.

didamangi

I'm Melee class and my strat was just
run to his left when he took a swing, run behind him, wail on his ankles for 2 or 3 hits, back up to avoid the grab and repeat. After a certain point I did it naked for speed because my armour didn't seem to mitigate the damage anyway. I never actually tried blocking because of how much damage the attack did, I figured it wouldn't work, so I just when 2 handed. I also suck at parrying.

I tried summoning someone else to help but they didn't really get his attention consistently enough. I made him stumble which was invaluable though I'm not sure what triggers it beyond damage, but can you make him fall off the edge? That would have been satisfying for all the bullshit throws. Lost a lot of humanity/souls because of that.

I'm playing a melee pyromancer and my strategy was
to stay close to him and constantly strafing to the right, roll his attacks and then hit him once with my strong attack, since I hit him in the same spot every time (his left leg) he'll stumble and you can take a pretty decent chunk of his health bar. I repeat this until he's down.
Not too bad of a fight really.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
curse halves your hp

No :s You need to spend 4000 souls at the hollow woman merchant in the Firelink aqueduct or find the NPC in New Londo Ruins.

In version 1.0 on consoles it could be stacked, you could go down to 1hp.

No, you have to cure the curse via item or the priest where the ghosts are.

You can tell if you have the curse because your health bar will be half empty when you're fully healed.

No, you need a specific item

How very dark souls.

Zeliard

I went down to the Depths later on in this playthrough where I had massive curse resistance with the Antiquated Set and could basically swim in the stuff.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How very dark souls.
No. How very Demon's Souls (a game where you actually played the game with 50% of your health 90% of the time).

Eusis

Wow. New generation of souls players are jerks. You can get his sword in another area without having to kill him :(
That's what I did. Then I killed the merchant's bodyguard for his ring (lol).

I also killed one of the DLC guys for clothes, but the guy was a dick anyway so who cares.

Jintor

Any tips for Sen's Fortress besides taking it slow? I hate everything about this place. Tight corners, vicious lizards, boulders and swing traps, long falls. It's all terrible.

Darkrider

Any tips for Sen's Fortress besides taking it slow? I hate everything about this place. Tight corners, vicious lizards, boulders and swing traps, long falls. It's all terrible.

Terrible...ly AWESOME.

/edit

But seriously, just take it slow, by the end you'll be able to run through it easily, also there's a shortcut you can unlock once you reach the top so you'll never have to do it again :)

Zzoram

Once you know it, you'll get through easily except for the last bit before getting to the top

Oh, there is a bonfire once you get to the top, you have to drop down off the roof to land on it though so look for messages telling you where

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
yeah i still havent figured out the advantage of playing human. other than white phantoms i guess.
They dropped the ball on that one, yes.

edit: LOL, if you hate Sen's Fortress then just quit the game right now. It's easily one of the best parts of DkS.

Varvor

Are there any specific weapon recommendations for NG+ & +++?

This is something that has been bothering me for some time. Usually almost any weapon with decent degree of upgrading and ascending will get the job done of the first game through, but once NewGame+'s start to ramp up your DPS starts to hit a brick wall and only handful of weapons can cut it?

Naturally Claymore +5 Lightning would be my go to weapon but in light of recent nerfs what other options are there?

Are there any specific weapon recommendation for magic/fast builds.....hell strength (not extreme kind Str50) would do just fine to?

KarmaCow

What part is giving you the most trouble? I think the first part is the hardest, with the lizard on the narrow ledge and the caster up top later. For that, if you have a ranged weapon you can lure the bottom lizard to run into the axes and for the caster, just try to run past it. I haven't found a good way to deal with that one besides just using the trap to kill it once I get behind it.

Lizards in general are very easy to backstab with circle strafing.

Jintor

They dropped the ball on that one, yes.

edit: LOL, if you hate Sen's Fortress then just quit the game right now. It's easily one of the best parts of DkS.

Every inch of ground I gain per round feels like an incredible victory against long-odds, except that one time I got trapped in a boulder tunnel and couldn't retrieve my shit without being hit by a boulder, and then I got overconfident and wiped on the snakes at the beginning.

What part is giving you the most trouble? I think the first part is the hardest, with the lizard on the narrow ledge and the caster up top later. For that, if you have a ranged weapon you can lure the bottom lizard to run into the axes and for the caster, just try to run past it. I haven't found a good way to deal with that one besides just using the trap to kill it once I get behind it.

Hit the fucker with enough arrows and he'll plummet off the edge.

didamangi

It'll be awesome when I finish it but for now it's the worst place imaginable

Just take your time on that one and
don't forget to lighten your load to <25% so you can run fast enough to avoid damage from the boulders. Equipping a high lightning resistance gear and shield is also a good idea.

Once you get the hang of the dungeon and enemies it really isn't too hard :)

dsk1210

I have not been cursed yet, but it does sound a proper pain in the ass.

I did buy some items to cure it already, but I only have 2 of them, I better build up some resistance.

wsippel

Banned

Lizards in general are very easy to backstab with circle strafing.
Two poison arrows do the trick just fine. Fire from the very beginning of the bridge and watch your timing. The caster will never hit you there, as his projectiles are too slow and never make it past the swinging blades - unlike your arrows. ;)

Found this in the anime thread lol

CGnin.gif

Eusis

yeah i still havent figured out the advantage of playing human. other than white phantoms i guess.
I pretty much stay human most of the time since I've been going with clothes where I can actually see my character's face, and since I've been doing surprisingly well with invasions (guess I'm better with a dex build, or they're ill equipped to fend off a dex build) it can keep things a bit more interesting so long as I'm not trying to fight a boss and reclaim humanity/souls repeatedly. Also ground up a TON of humanity at the final part of the DLC area, so it's generally inconsequential to lose one every so often.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
aww, zzoram stopped playing. ;_;

oh well; ill stream for ya anyway zzoram. :3

twitch.tv/pandagaf
if anyone can stomach 480p dark souls

NBtoaster

I like being invaded. It's exciting! And I like to see just how good my equipment and play style are.

New players should make sure to try out invading themselves, there are red eye orbs hidden at firelink shrine for you to test it.

Top Bottom