• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Serra

I "quit" the game after frustration with capra demon reached unhealthy levels, but its all I can think about

Just summon someone to help you out.

One of you focuses on killing those dogs and the other one focuses on keeping the capra's attention. That fight can be pretty frustrating for new players.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
finished streaming, had up to 7 people at one point. like a baws.

very frustrating section with all the initial deaths and then all the summon phantom snarfs vs spider lady.

legacyzero

Banned
I learned my lesson.

DONT GO AFK.

I ALT/tabbed out to browse GAF for a second, and all of a sudden my controller started vibrating VIOLENTLY.

Turns out a fucking phantom had invaded my game and started kicking my ass. When I tabbed back in, it was too late :p

I think it was Cptn Cornflakes being mad a me for wearing Solaires armor :lol

KarmaCow

lol, forgot how annoying it is to do anything in Anor Londo without getting invaded a million times.

It's the worst. Maybe it's due to lag or my shittiness but I've been invaded 3/4 times I was human trying to get to S&O and I get worked. One dude was hit me with arrows while I was behind him, the other two went right through my shield like it wasn't there. I don't think they were using defense ignoring weapons but it was just frustrating.

I have no idea how to even approach fighting S&O alone either. They seem to cover each other pretty well.

Razek

Banned
I just beat the Undead Parish boss at soul level 6 without any item help. From what I've seen, the spear is the worst weapon I've played with. I could not beat this boss on level 30 my first time through with a +5 spear. This time, I smoked them with a +0 uchigatana. Now to see if I can do the same for the blightown boss.

It's the worst. Maybe it's due to lag or my shittiness but I've been invaded 3/4 times I was human trying to get to S&O and I get worked. One dude was hit me with arrows while I was behind him, the other two went right through my shield like it wasn't there. I don't think they were using defense ignoring weapons but it was just frustrating.

I have no idea how to even approach fighting S&O alone either. They seem to cover each other pretty well.

While it won't help you directly, maybe you should allow yourself to get summoned into someone else's game in order to work on some strategies at no real cost to you.

I generally face off against each boss solo - but S&O are very difficult if they don't have a distraction. Even though I pass on the armor, I try for Ornstein first because I find Smough easier to deal with regardless of size. Plus it is easier to pull Ornstein off Smough then it is to get in on Smough without Ornstein messing your shit right up. Ideally - don't use lock-on and instead just try running around until you open up the playing field - then rush in and get in one or two hits then back off. Patience and running a lot is probably the best course of action.

I just have Kalameet left to take care of. Give me that tail.
That's pretty much all that I have left to do in the game unless I feel like taking out Priscilla. Don't know how to get that tail off though. It never seems to want to put it down and when it does it doesn't stay down for long.

Alastor

Hoe to deal with toxins? I'm using a shield that's supposed to protect me from poison, but I guess that's totally different thing. I don't have lots of health so a toxin is pretty much death sentence.

dsk1210

Was trying to summon people into my game today, was having no luck though, everyone kept failing.

Anyone else experiencing this most of the time? I get bloody invaded no problem though, most of the invaders have used powerful magic and wiped me out, at least have the balls for a man to man duel. :)

Raxus

Hoe to deal with toxins? I'm using a shield that's supposed to protect me from poison, but I guess that's totally different thing. I don't have lots of health so a toxin is pretty much death sentence.

Darkroot garden weed enemies and the sewer vendor all give you moss clumps to cure the afflictions. You need blooming to cure toxic (black) and purple for poison. Also grab the spider shield in the sewers if you can since that has poison resistance.

Fistwell

1- be aware where they snipe you from and keep moving to make them miss,
2- alternately, shields do slow down toxin buildup significantly, i usually get my shield up and rush them,
3- ... get more vit?

nOoblet16

Ok, so it seems to me that I can go to these areas:

1) The Great Hollow (followed by Ash lake) ,I know it's optional
2) Demon Ruins
3) Catacombs
4) Anor Londo

Where should I go ?
I'm thinking I should get the Lordvessel from Anor Londo before going anywhere as it'll allow me to teleport from bonfires, cause honestly the walk back from Demon Ruins and Ash Lake is going to suck (even more so considering I'll have to pass Depths and Blighttown for that). I'm at soul level 60 and have a strength build, though I'm investing on dex now.

dsk1210

What's the etiquette for invading anyway? had a few invaders stop take a bow and then obliterate me, had others just run from behind and chop me up.

didamangi

They actually have these as a preorder bonus :))
I want one xD

photo2-1.jpg
photo4.jpg

Taruranto

What's the etiquette for invading anyway? had a few invaders stop take a bow and then obliterate me, had others just run from behind and chop me up.

I used to bow when people invaded me in
Dark
Anor Londo, but now i don't do it anymore unless the other does it first because like you said a lot of people just use that time to go behind you and backstab you.

I just attack everything on sight on the Forest Hunters invasions because we are fucking Robin Hood.

web01

Depends on the individual player and area.
Some invaders will want to kill you at all costs some just want to duel.

Some area like the Kiln and an area the in DLC are hotspots for duels where people go when they want to get invaded and duel.

Clevinger

Ok, so it seems to me that I can go to these areas:

1) The Great Hollow (followed by Ash lake) ,I know it's optional
2) Demon Ruins
3) Catacombs
4) Anor Londo

Where should I go ?
I'm thinking I should get the Lordvessel from Anor Londo before going anywhere as it'll allow me to teleport from bonfires, cause honestly the walk back from Demon Ruins and Ash Lake is going to suck (even more so considering I'll have to pass Depths and Blighttown for that). I'm at soul level 60 and have a strength build, though I'm investing on dex now.

Yeah, Anor would be good if only for the teleport. Right now I'm running around trying to find embers and upgrade stuff, and it's such a gigantic pain in the balls without the teleport.

Just a quick tip for people in Sen's Fortress that are scared of the swinging blades. You can actually run against them, their hitboxes are only from the sides. It makes those areas a lot less terrifying.

If anyone is confused by what I mean, I can try to record a video.

dsk1210

I used to bow when people invaded me in
Dark
Anor Londo, but now i don't do it anymore unless the other does it first because like you said a lot of people just use that time to go behind you and backstab you.

I just attack everything on sight on the Forest Hunters invasions because we are fucking Robin Hood.

Yeah i thought a bow before hand would be a gesture of gamesmanship, but obviously some people have no scruples and take any advantage they can.

linko9

Got a slab off the very first darkwraith I killed, feels good. Just got into the DLC area, so far I'm underwhelmed, but it's still cool to be doing something new.

Akkad

Banned
I don't bow when getting invaded, I just wait around corners and attack. Fuck them if they can't take a joke, lol.

Wanny

Gosh I need a break now. I know some of you will say it's not a lot of hours and that no one simply does not take a break from DkS, but I did put 75 hours since it's release and I feel burnt out lol

And that doesn't count the 150+ hours on PS3 before...

Souls Gaf, I feel so awesome right now.
From Undead Burg to the next area, got the Drake Sword and this Knight Shield, no dying (yet) and full of courage to push ahead.

LOOOVE this game.

Is this the sword you get if you keep shooting arrows to the dragon's tail? Do you remember how many did you need?

Sullichin

dammit

I guess this is what it feels like to be one of those girls who keeps going back to an abusive guy (or vice versa)

I "quit" the game after frustration with capra demon reached unhealthy levels, but its all I can think about

I read an interesting angle to defeat him for magic users -
aural decoy

Everyone else can use an alluring skull. Same thing

derFeef

Just got to the blacksmith. Man I really made progress today.

That's the one, it takes about 20 regular arrows. Buy double in case you miss.

Yeah, took about 20 normal arrows, very easy. And the sword is powerful so far.
Hellbeards seem crappy, though, or are they?

I ordered a copy of Dark Souls today (360). I've never played a Souls game so I have very little grasp of the game's mechanics and systems. From what I gather one of the main complaints about the game is that it does a very poor job of explaining these, however my friend recommended that I start it without looking anything up.

What would you guys recommend? Are these little bits of info I should read before I start or should I go in totally blind and just try and figure it out?

Man, the explosion attacks of the Demon Firesage are pretty nasty if you don't have high fire resistance. Unfortunately for him, I did.

Looks are deceiving...The fire is actually Magic based. You'll notice this through more and more playthroughs. Thankfully, there's equipment for everything!

The catalyst you get is a clue...=p

Top Bottom