• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ashler

Gosh I need a break now. I know some of you will say it's not a lot of hours and that no one simply does not take a break from DkS, but I did put 75 hours since it's release and I feel burnt out lol

And that doesn't count the 150+ hours on PS3 before...

I have 300+ on PS3, already completed the PC version, including the DLC content and I'm still having loads of fun in PvP. I'm currently trying to spread misery through the gravelord covenant :)

Fistwell

What would you guys recommend? Are these little bits of info I should read before I start or should I go in totally blind and just try and figure it out?
Go in blind, post for help when rly overwhelmed. Use wikis on latter playthroughs.

Useful tips:
- 50k souls aint that much, get over it,
- you can farm 20+ humanities in just a cple of hrs, take it like a man, etc.

KarmaCow

While it won't help you directly, maybe you should allow yourself to get summoned into someone else's game in order to work on some strategies at no real cost to you.

I generally face off against each boss solo - but S&O are very difficult if they don't have a distraction. Even though I pass on the armor, I try for Ornstein first because I find Smough easier to deal with regardless of size. Plus it is easier to pull Ornstein off Smough then it is to get in on Smough without Ornstein messing your shit right up. Ideally - don't use lock-on and instead just try running around until you open up the playing field - then rush in and get in one or two hits then back off. Patience and running a lot is probably the best course of action.

I've placed my summon sign a bunch of times but I never seem to get summoned by other players.

And yea, after a few dozen attempts at S&O solo, I only managed to kill one as it killed me. I gave up and used the NPC summon instead, praying that no one tried to invade. With him it was pretty easy, ended up killing Smough first and Ornstein wasn't too bad afterwards. Just took a long time and dealing with weird hitboxes on his grapple.

Okay this is confusing me. I have a Caestus +6. I have 9 large titanite shards and over 5k souls. But I can't seem to upgrade it further with the blacksmith at the parish. The other blacksmith is no help either. What's going on?

Sullichin

I have 300+ on PS3, already completed the PC version, including the DLC content and I'm still having loads of fun in PvP. I'm currently trying to spread misery through the gravelord covenant :)

What SL and where are gravelording?

I re-made my naked Deprived invasion character yesterday, this time with a reinforced club instead of the regular. Was able to co-op with 2Adept and have Capra's dogs chase my naked ass long enough to distract them. :p
Maybe I'll go with gravelord this time but on PS3 I just invaded people and beat them senseless with my club, gleefully taking enough damage to activate my red tearstone ring.

I am really proficient with the reinforced club since my SL1 and 2 runs, but it's now one of my favorite weapons. Simple and nasty.

Okay this is confusing me. I have a Caestus +6. I have 9 large titanite shards and over 5k souls. But I can't seem to upgrade it further with the blacksmith at the parish. The other blacksmith is no help either. What's going on?

Taking a weapon from +5 -> +6 is done in the "modify equipment" menu at the parish blacksmith - you need the large ember.

Once it's at +6 it disappears from that menu and will appear in the "reinforce weapon" menu.

Spent the last hour or so trying to summon or be summoned by 2 people that I'd connected fine with earlier. Most times unable to see each others signs, the one time one of them saw mine they just got a summoning failed. I don't understand how they took the time to fix the online issues in 1.05 only to break it again in PTD.

robin2

How do I cast spells?? I have attuned it and it appears in the slot over the estus one, but I've tried all the buttons and I still haven't found a way to cast it...

Go in blind, post for help when rly overwhelmed. Use wikis on latter playthroughs.

Useful tips:
- 50k souls aint that much, get over it,
- you can farm 20+ humanities in just a cple of hrs, take it like a man, etc.

I have no idea what any of that means but ok :lol

Dacon

Banned
I need some help with Sif, any gaffers out there that can lend a hand? I have the summon sign down.

Big ass wolf with sword sif?

I beat him solo with a Raw Claymore+3 without magic. You just wait for him to get close and get under him and whack away. He can't damage you when you're so close to him. Obv you're gonna need a good shield for when you can't get in close.

With a little patience you can wear him down with minimal trouble.

Spiegel

Did I kill someone important?

After killing the Gargoyles and ringing the first bell, I got down from the stairs and there was a guy. It looked like a mage or something a I accidentally hit him because I had 16000 souls in me and didn't want to take any chances. When I realized it was an NPC it was too late.

Do you always have to kill an NPC if you hit him/her even once?

And I'm upgrading an axe (nothing special stats-wise), am I wasting titanium upgrading that at this point of the game?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I dont think i'll ever let go of my hat.
ibodXquygc9Q0R.png

iOaB7RzZNNzsF.png

not until i find something equally as swag.

Akkad

Banned

After killing the Gargoyles and ringing the first bell, I got down from the stairs and there was a guy. It looked like a mage or something a I accidentally hit him because I had 16000 souls in me and didn't want to take any chances. When I realized it was an NPC it was too late.

And I'm upgrading an axe (nothing special stats-wise), am I wasting titanium upgrading that at this point of the game?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/oswald-of-carim

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
damn that hat's nice

I know man.

i feel for all the poor souls who failed to micro the class selection screen properly and are stuck with these ugly dented helms and leather rags when the top tier of hat design was the royal starting class all along.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Ahahahaha. The irony of killing the one person that could've reverted your angry NPC because he's the only one that does it.

Riposte

Now that is has been awhile, what is the consensus on the new content?

Also comparing to another area currently in the game, what level is?

Serra

Trying to summon people at the Capra Demon (made a new character to mess around on) for the past 45 minutes. I see a decent numer of summon signs but can't manage to summon anyone. It usually works for me about 1 out of ten but here I have tried over 50 times.

EDIT: as soon as I alt-tabbed back into game from writing this, I managed to summon someone!

My son was playing my 50SL guy and attacked the "Praise the Sun" knight because "I thought he was a bad guy, daddy...sorry..." Is he important for anything? Am I fucked?

Man, the explosion attacks of the Demon Firesage are pretty nasty if you don't have high fire resistance. Unfortunately for him, I did.

Firesage (and
Stray Demon
) are easy mode anyway. Charge them head-on and roll past their initial attack, and you've basically won. Stay behind them and hit them in the back, then just move away when they try the "fly up in the air and sit on you" or the AoE fire attack and run back behind them when done.

They'll literally only do those two moves when you're behind them. Asylum Demon is actually harder than both of them because he doesn't do this.

derFeef

10k souls, what should I do now? I guess heading back and reinforcing the Flask might be a good idea. Also good thing I checked the wiki, consuming it would just gave me humamity apparently.

Ridley327

Just got through
the painting world, didn't fight the boss yet since I was too tired at that time and only had 1 Estus Flask, just wanted to get out of there.
Maybe next time, cute lady with a tail and a scythe :)

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/1136285831873869614/DCC6E3C97904F59B4E1517210B3402F96DD07EFB/

I really loved how they set that entire scene up; you just get done
going through a small fortress that's filled with undead that can inflict toxin on death, giant crow harpies that can easily ruin your day with how many drop-offs are around, a boss from Demon's Souls that's now a common enemy, a pyromancer invader with a gigantic head, an Undead Dragon that spews rivers of poison at you, and to top it all off, you have to fight across a bridge with archers and a Tower Knight to get to that room. You get in, and you see a 20-foot tall woman with a tail and a scythe that's asking you to simply leave. She doesn't want any nonsense, and it's hard to not agree with her. Above all that, what she said was true!

Ridley327

Drake Sword is so good, I might do that later ;)
I mean, is there some vendor I should head to and buy a good weapon or amor? I still have that Pyromancer starter armor.

Most of the good armor is found, rather than bought. The best way to determine if a weapon or a set of armor is worth risking your neck for is seeing how many/how big of enemies are guarding it. :D

didamangi

I really loved how they set that entire scene up; you just get done
going through a small fortress that's filled with undead that can inflict toxin on death, giant crow harpies that can easily ruin your day with how many drop-offs are around, a boss from Demon's Souls that's now a common enemy, a pyromancer invader with a gigantic head, an Undead Dragon that spews rivers of poison at you, and to top it all off, you have to fight across a bridge with archers and a Tower Knight to get to that room. You get in, and you see a 20-foot tall woman with a tail and a scythe that's asking you to simply leave. She doesn't want any nonsense, and it's hard to not agree with her. Above all that, what she said was true!

Yeah, one of the best moment in Dark Souls I've played so far, first time player here too. This game is really something else :)

Drake Sword is so good, I might do that later ;)
I mean, is there some vendor I should head to and buy a good weapon or amor? I still have that Pyromancer starter armor.

Drake Sword's not going to cut it after awhile since the damage is fixed and not scale with your level I think.

I suggest trying to find a replacement, some of the weapons are comparable to it when you upgrade it to +5 with the blacksmith :)

derFeef

Most of the good armor is found, rather than bought. The best way to determine if a weapon or a set of armor is worth risking your neck for is seeing how many/how big of enemies are guarding it. :D

Okay, heading to that Black Knight up on that tower in Undead Parish I passed by.
I have not been so engrossed with a game in year, seriously, is grabbed me hard.

oh man.

so yesterday I was playing with my build and thought "I wonder if anyone has ever made a sneaky magical assassin?" then I found an armour set which is perfect for the build in sen's fortress, and the spell hush which makes you silent. also picked up the ring in sen's which is basically permanent hush.

now I can sprint up behind enemies with my magical dagger and butt-stab them to death in one hit. bosses crumble before my great heavy soul arrows; the iron golem in particular was almost sad, I jousted with him by back-pedaling until I was cornered and then rolling through his legs, peppering him with various magic missiles.

anyway, here's a butt-stab pic for good measure:

001.png

fans of the witcher series can probably guess what this character is called.

Haunted

Is anyone here running a smaller melee weapon? Like, Handaxe or straight or curved sword?

I'm open for suggestions with my STR/DEX build, tired of swinging around Greatswords/Greataxes. :D

Zeliard

Is anyone here running a smaller melee weapon? Like, Handaxe or straight or curved sword?

I'm open for suggestions with my STR/DEX build, tired of swinging around Greatswords/Greataxes. :D

Depends where you're at in the game. Consider the baller ass Painted Guardian Sword if you've hit Anor Lando. That is a lovely weapon.

nOoblet16

Man fuck the sniping black knights at the bridge in Anor Londo ! I don't care for the 60k souls I lost cause at this point in the game it doesn't take much time to get that many souls, but the frustrations man ! This is the first time I've been outright frustrated while playing this game. You see it's situations like these which I simply HATE in this game because they are artificially difficult, they shoot quite fast, and you cannot possibly expect to block their arrows while standing on that ledge cause your character tends to slide backwards when you take a hit with your shield up and since it's a tiny ledge you have to pretty much face towards the wall which means blocking pushes you out of ledge most of the time.

I think Ledge walking simply HAS to be my most hated part about the Souls series for me, the collision detection is already pretty unreliable with you character slipping off cause most of the ledges you walk on are round surfaced rather than flat, and they think it's a good idea to have strong enemies in this parts.

GERALT!?!
:D
Looks like a woman with red hair, so I'll say Triss.

didamangi

I'm wielding a katana I found on blightown, going with a raw upgrade and it's quite good.

Top Bottom