• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

EasyMode

Man fuck the sniping black knights at the bridge in Anor Londo ! I don't care for the 60k souls I lost cause at this point in the game it doesn't take much time to get that many souls, but the frustrations man ! This is the first time I've been outright frustrated while playing this game.

You see it's situations like these which I simply HATE in this game because they are artificially difficult, they shoot quite fast, and you cannot possibly expect to block their arrows while standing on that ledge cause your character tends to slide backwards when you take a hit with your shield up and since it's a tiny ledge you have to pretty much face towards the wall which means blocking pushes you out of ledge most of the time. Ledge walking simply HAS to be my most hated part about the Souls series for me, the collision detection is already pretty unreliable and they think it's a good idea to have strong enemies in this parts.

Here's a really cheesy way to deal with them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZl_C44qx1A

didamangi

The crazy part is that I didn't even describe the entire area, as there's a lower level that has its own nasty surprises.

I know what's down there, scare the hell out of me at first but like everything else in Dark Souls, once you know what they capable of it's easy enough to defeat them in 1v1 situation :)

Zzoram

Man fuck the sniping black knights at the bridge in Anor Londo ! I don't care for the 60k souls I lost cause at this point in the game it doesn't take much time to get that many souls, but the frustrations man ! This is the first time I've been outright frustrated while playing this game. You see it's situations like these which I simply HATE in this game because they are artificially difficult, they shoot quite fast, and you cannot possibly expect to block their arrows while standing on that ledge cause your character tends to slide backwards when you take a hit with your shield up and since it's a tiny ledge you have to pretty much face towards the wall which means blocking pushes you out of ledge most of the time.

I think Ledge walking simply HAS to be my most hated part about the Souls series for me, the collision detection is already pretty unreliable with you character slipping off cause most of the ledges you walk on are round surfaced rather than flat, and they think it's a good idea to have strong enemies in this parts.

Looks like a woman with red hair, so I'll say Triss.

Just sprint all the way up then raise your shield and move forward slowly. The first archer can't hit you once you get there and the 2nd archer will fall off the ledge moving towards you. Bonfire is just inside.

nOoblet16

Here's a really cheesy way to deal with them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZl_C44qx1A

Just sprint all the way up then raise your shield and move forward slowly. The first archer can't hit you once you get there and the 2nd archer will fall off the ledge moving towards you. Bonfire is just inside.

I just went in there and stood next to his face he still shot two arrows at me but luckily at this point I had my back facing the wall while he had his back faced the other side, I hit him thinking it'd push him off the ledge but it didn't, ultimately I had to kill him there itself with my weapon lol.

Vaporak

Is anyone here running a smaller melee weapon? Like, Handaxe or straight or curved sword?

I'm open for suggestions with my STR/DEX build, tired of swinging around Greatswords/Greataxes. :D

I like the Silver Knight Straight Sword. Fast, responsive, good move set, good damage.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh man.

so yesterday I was playing with my build and thought "I wonder if anyone has ever made a sneaky magical assassin?" then I found an armour set which is perfect for the build in sen's fortress, and the spell hush which makes you silent. also picked up the ring in sen's which is basically permanent hush.

now I can sprint up behind enemies with my magical dagger and butt-stab them to death in one hit. bosses crumble before my great heavy soul arrows; the iron golem in particular was almost sad, I jousted with him by back-pedaling until I was cornered and then rolling through his legs, peppering him with various magic missiles.

anyway, here's a butt-stab pic for good measure:

001.png

fans of the witcher series can probably guess what this character is called.
Triss, though she'd probably bite your ass before stabbing it ;)
wait what

purg3

slept with Malkin
Can't remember, can someone confirm does the Lost Izalith
shortcut remain open if I leave the covenant after unlocking it?

Man fuck the sniping black knights at the bridge in Anor Londo ! I don't care for the 60k souls I lost cause at this point in the game it doesn't take much time to get that many souls, but the frustrations man ! This is the first time I've been outright frustrated while playing this game. You see it's situations like these which I simply HATE in this game because they are artificially difficult, they shoot quite fast, and you cannot possibly expect to block their arrows while standing on that ledge cause your character tends to slide backwards when you take a hit with your shield up and since it's a tiny ledge you have to pretty much face towards the wall which means blocking pushes you out of ledge most of the time.

I think Ledge walking simply HAS to be my most hated part about the Souls series for me, the collision detection is already pretty unreliable with you character slipping off cause most of the ledges you walk on are round surfaced rather than flat, and they think it's a good idea to have strong enemies in this parts.

Poison arrows!

I'm still using the first weapon and shield I got in the game at SL20, after ringing the first bell. Is this normal?

I'm playing as a thief and I can't use any of the weapons I find. I feel like I picked the wrong class, lol.

derFeef

I'm still using the first weapon and shield I got in the game at SL20, after ringing the first bell. Is this normal?

I'm playing as a thief and I can't use any of the weapons I find. I feel like I picked the wrong class, lol.

Simply upgrade the stats, you can play however you want.

Sounds fine, you're still progressing after all! I'd be more worried if you were still stranded at Undead Burg with no progression at SL20... like I was ;_;

edgefusion

Is anyone here running a smaller melee weapon? Like, Handaxe or straight or curved sword?

I'm open for suggestions with my STR/DEX build, tired of swinging around Greatswords/Greataxes. :D

I'm using Artorias Sword which you get from in front of the undead drake in Valley of the Drakes. Still holds up nicely in Anor Londo after a few upgrades, but it does require 14 faith to equip. It has a nice subtle look to it, nothing over the top. It's a great replacement for the Drake Sword if you don't want to use that or are tired of it.

KSai

I'm using Artorias Sword which you get from in front of the undead drake in Valley of the Drakes. Still holds up nicely in Anor Londo after a few upgrades, but it does require 14 faith to equip. It has a nice subtle look to it, nothing over the top. It's a great replacement for the Drake Sword if you don't want to use that or are tired of it.

No you ain't. Astora's Straight Sword.

The Abyss Greatsword was not worth it.

Quikies83

Anyone, please, i'm begging here -- help out with 4 Kings. Just dropped nearly 20 humanity and no matter who I summon -- either dies from the fall (idiots) or dies from the first king. I'm at SL64. I've only come close to beating 4 Kings once! They didn't give me near this much trouble on PS3.

"Quikies83" is my handle.

Leynos

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but will the retail copy of the PS3 verson work in a US PS3?

And what of the retail PC version?

pringles

Anyone, please, i'm begging here -- help out with 4 Kings. Just dropped nearly 20 humanity and no matter who I summon -- either dies from the fall (idiots) or dies from the first king. I'm at SL64. I've only come close to beating 4 Kings once! They didn't give me near this much trouble on PS3.

I'll 2nd this request, only I'm SL121 on NG+. Can't find anyone to summon at the moment.. was so close to beating them when I found a decent helper but I died when they had like 5% health remaining :-/

Oh and I'm on 360, if anyone wants to help...

Haunted

Depends where you're at in the game. Consider the baller ass Painted Guardian Sword if you've hit Anor Lando. That is a lovely weapon.
I'm wielding a katana I found on blightown, going with a raw upgrade and it's quite good.
I like the Silver Knight Straight Sword. Fast, responsive, good move set, good damage.
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations guys! Will hunt those down and experiment. :D

Have you tried going solo against them? Summoning help buffs up boss hp, so if the npc dies early you might be better off alone.

CatPee

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm thinking he's EuroGAF with a US PS3, in which case it'll work fine.

Don't see any reason why the retail PC version wouldn't work aside from a crappy computer, but if he's referring to the PS3 for some reason, then it obviously wouldn't work.

Neat just made it to blightown, ohh look a big enemy, I will kill him swiftly,
*gets hit and pushed off the bridge*.
Rage quits.

This will be a cool level, I can already tell.

later i realize the fatties have a huge opening while they celebrate or whatever, so now I just backstab them with the claymore +5, I love this game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Neat just made it to blightown, ohh look a big enemy, I will kill him swiftly,
*gets hit and pushed off the bridge*.
Rage quits.

This will be a cool level, I can already tell.

later i realize the fatties have a huge opening while they celebrate or whatever, so now I just backstab them with the claymore +5, I love this game.

I hear you like world 5.

I just started up my 3rd character, having fun using the master key to screw around with the order of things. Used it the first time playing to get a few things early, second time around I picked something else and went through in the intended order, but this time around I know the areas much better and am jumping around a bit. Skipped the Taurus demon and gargoyles, although it looks like you have to beat the capra demon to get to the depths from the front. Might run through the blighttown back entrance and farm some green titanite to get an early fire uchi and start gravelording it up.

Finalow

I think I skipped ng+ for ng+++ or something like that. I mean the first mobs drop 400 souls, after I killed the 4 kings I was with 200k souls. I'm already around SL 120 tho so I don't wanna go too far, useless souls incoming.

Quikies83

Have you tried going solo against them? Summoning help buffs up boss hp, so if the npc dies early you might be better off alone.

Yeah I've tried solo a few times. I noticed that their HP was buffed when summoning others. My problem is I can't take out that first king quick enough. I'm constantly fighting 2 and then 4.. sometimes 5 :(

Sarcasm

SO in depths I fall into like 13 of those frog cursers..basically I had no chance as I sat there recovering from falling. So I am cursed in the depths...where do I fix this?

I was all happy and giddy cause I was invaded and whooped the dude (PvP is still kinda mundane) I got like spiked shield and some shitty sword from him. And like 10K souls.

But now I am cursed - what to do?

Nyoro SF

Had about 6 invasions over the course of my playthrough. All of them have been hackers.

So everyone who said that invasions wouldn't be like that can go shove it. I've been trying to stay Hollow for as long as I can, but for certain bosses you really need the co-op help. It's ridiculous really but there's not much I can do.

KSai

I don't think that's true..

You're better off if you fight them alone. Get as close to each king as you can. Its forward thrust attack does more damage the farther away you are to them. This is a very demanding physical battle, and you will take a ton of damage if you aren't fast enough to roll away from the soul suck attack or the AOE blast.

Did they make
Four Kings
harder? They just pop up one after the other I barely have time to kill one.

I thought they made it easier. Another king may pop out, but it didn't interfere in my fight as I thought it would. It's a great moment to make you feel antsy.

SO in depths I fall into like 13 of those frog cursers..basically I had no chance as I sat there recovering from falling. So I am cursed in the depths...where do I fix this?

I was all happy and giddy cause I was invaded and whooped the dude (PvP is still kinda mundane) I got like spiked shield and some shitty sword from him. And like 10K souls.

But now I am cursed - what to do?

The vendor at the Church, and the one at the Undead Burg shortcut sell purging stones that uncurse you.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Holy crap the Four Kings are tough as nails on NG+! Is it me, or are they spawning faster than on NG?

Just did the Four Kings on my NG+. Your best bet is a +10 Fire Weapon, or +15 with fire buff for weapons, mine was a +15 Claymore with Charcoal resin. And just pop a Green Blossom and use Power Within, and two-hand them while rolling out of their attacks. I used Elite Knight Armor +9 (took forever to upgrade the whole set), Havel Ring and Artorias Covenant Ring of course. And just chug Estus and you should win.

That said, I still had the 4th King pop up before I finished the 3rd. And I had to hit the fifth one or two times as well.

Top Bottom