• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Yeah, my first one dropped one, I felt so lucky :D

I've worked my way through all the DLC areas, and they're pretty damn cool. Starts out slow, but gets real good.

I have so many hours of just killing these guys on the PS3 version, they've practically become the easiest enemy of the game.

SO in depths I fall into like 13 of those frog cursers..basically I had no chance as I sat there recovering from falling. So I am cursed in the depths...where do I fix this?

I was all happy and giddy cause I was invaded and whooped the dude (PvP is still kinda mundane) I got like spiked shield and some shitty sword from him. And like 10K souls.

But now I am cursed - what to do?
The barbed sword? Shhhh, don't tell anyone but it's actually a really good weapon.

The R2 attack is fast and has some movement to it, and the bleed is 300. I use it a bit even at higher level PvP, it's great.

Oh, btw that invasion was an NPC, it won't be the last you see of Kirk ;)

Most intense 4 kings battle. Ran out of Estus, I could tell he had about 4 hits left I had 2. I knew the only thing I could do is attack as fast as I could. 2 hit power attack combo landed, I get hit I go in for the killing blow but I'm not sure if I have enough stamina to finish the power combo again. The king winds up, I plunge the first attack, I keep hammering the trigger. Final impact, cutscene triggered. Cutscene finishes, I have a Bequeathed Lord Soul Shard, 4 humanity and a sliver of health.

Deadstar

Can someone tell me how to find the last dlc boss
Manus
? I have
entered the abyss area and can't find anything. I found an elevator that takes me back up to the royal garden but it was nothing but a dead end.

Grief.exe

4 Kings is a pretty tough fight.

IDK if any of this will make sense by the way.

I'm in tomb of the giants, at the bonfire near patches. I went back a little and found this little ladder going into a pit.

The pit has 3 corpses on the ground with items, and no less then 10 giant skeletons in it as well. What should I do to clear them out?

Can someone tell me how to find the last dlc boss
Manus
? I have
entered the abyss area and can't find anything. I found an elevator that takes me back up to the royal garden but it was nothing but a dead end.

Just keep following the glowing coloured stones, you're not too far away if you come from that shortcut.

I'm in tomb of the giants, at the bonfire near patches. I went back a little and found this little ladder going into a pit.

The pit has 3 corpses on the ground with items, and no less then 10 giant skeletons in it as well. What should I do to clear them out?

This was annoying, I tried jumping down so many times and just got slayed.

I jumped across the gap where the ladder is and ran around the top so I could get a good aim on them and just spammed pyromancy until most of them died. Hopped down and finished the rest (I think there were two left with little remaining HP).

Some good items down there.

Grief.exe

This was annoying, I tried jumping down so many times and just got slayed.

I jumped across the gap where the ladder is and ran around the top so I could get a good aim on them and just spammed pyromancy until most of them died. Hopped down and finished the rest (I think there were two left with little remaining HP).

Some good items down there.

That worked perfectly for me thanks!

Ridley327

Ridley 3, Kirk 0

Is it worth upgrading his armor set? Regardless of how much of a chump he is to fight, his armor does look cool.

On NG+ with my dual Gold Tracer character. Four Kings got wrecked, I just charged each one and spammed the R2 and L2 button depending on how much time I had in between swings.

Final boss bumped me off a couple of times because I wasn't used to fighting him with the GT, but I got it down eventually.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gotdamn, Queelag is finally dead. This game makes me feel so many feelings. I cannot wait to get the hell out of Blighttown.

That worked perfectly for me thanks!

youtubedarksoulsannounyi32.gif

Leynos

I'm thinking he's EuroGAF with a US PS3, in which case it'll work fine.

Don't see any reason why the retail PC version wouldn't work aside from a crappy computer, but if he's referring to the PS3 for some reason, then it obviously wouldn't work.

So the retail copy will work in a US PS3?

ijed

Ridley 3, Kirk 0

Is it worth upgrading his armor set? Regardless of how much of a chump he is to fight, his armor does look cool.

It's great if only for the fact that a roll into an enemy will interrupt their attack (depending on their poise? Someone else might be able to confirm this)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Is there a fix out yet for particle effects locking you at 15 fps? Centipede demon fight is the most annoying thing ever at 15 fps.

Ridley327

Is there anywhere I can get Transient Curse? I only have 2 and I am about to tackle New Londo.

The ghosts themselves drop them; it may not be a bad idea to equip the Covetous Serpent Ring to get them to drop more of them.

Of course, you could always eat a curse death and do it that way!

Grief.exe

Would you guys say the Uchigatana is a good weapon? I want to upgrade it through the fire path to see how it is.

Already have a lightning claymore so need something for the achievement and to switch things up a bit.

I have spent nearly the entire day on 4 Kings....... About to throw my PC through my wall, killing my roommate in the process.

I would say just summon someone in. That fight is such a dps race, second player will make it trivial.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally made it out of Blight Town, felt so relieved when I arrived in the Londo area beneath Firelink. Walked into elevator, turns out there was no elevator since I forgot to call it down, fell to my death. Back in the heart of Blight town.

The ghosts themselves drop them; it may not be a bad idea to equip the Covetous Serpent Ring to get them to drop more of them.

Of course, you could always eat a curse death and do it that way!

I see, thanks.

Finally made it out of Blight Town, felt so relieved when I arrived in the Londo area beneath Firelink. Walked into elevator, turns out there was no elevator since I forgot to call it down, fell to my death. Back in the heart of Blight town.

This happened to me too, I raged so hard.

King Boo

argh.

i was doing so well repelling invaders, and helping other players vanquish these creatures.

today i was invaded...and...and i died. he was in front of me, and i somehow got backstabbed. maybe it's some spell he has that makes a fake version of him. i died in a single hit, with electricity scrambling my character's nervous system.

Quikies83

Is there anywhere I can get Transient Curse? I only have 2 and I am about to tackle New Londo.

Yeah, the female merchant in the undead burg (well the tunnels leading to undead burg). From firelink, head up the stairs on the mountain and you should run in to her -- assuming you unlocked the gate before entering the depths.

Falling into holes where you expect lifts to be is the worst. I was doing titanite chunk runs in new londo ruins and before I pulled the lever to call the platform up I read a message someone had left, "Be wary of backstepping." And then for some reason instead of hitting 'A' to pull the lever I just hit 'B' and leapt back into the hole.

I have spent nearly the entire day on 4 Kings....... About to throw my PC through my wall, killing my roommate in the process.

A general rule that I follow for Demon's Souls & Dark Souls is: if you can't beat a boss (or bring his life close to zero) after 3 attempts, STOP. You'll only frustrate yourself and hate the game if you continue.

You need to leave the boss alone for a while and upgrade your armor/weapons, upgrade your vitality/endurance, or build a different type of weapon to use against him.

As far as the 4 kings are concerned:

1) If you're not dodging their sword attacks, you're doing it wrong. Build endurance and increase stamina regen - Havel's Ring, Dark Wood Grain Ring, Cloranthy Ring, etc.

2) If you don't have some way of blocking the magic attacks, you need to find a shield or armor with high magic resistance - Crest Shield, Elite Knight Set, etc

3) Summon help - In your first playthrough, Witch Beatrice has always served as a suitable distraction (this is pointless for NG+ & beyond)

4) You need high damage/high speed weapons to kill off the kings quickly before more spawn. I like fire or lightning versions of the Gargoyle's Halberd, Scythe, Scitmitar, or Iaito.

KSai

Beato is so horrible for that fight. He would be better off with a human summon. I miss the PS3 days when people left summon signs in New Londo.

Yeah, the female merchant in the undead burg (well the tunnels leading to undead burg). From firelink, head up the stairs on the mountain and you should run in to her -- assuming you unlocked the gate before entering the depths.

Ah, that merchant. Gonna buy a lot, thanks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This happened to me too, I raged so hard.

Glad I'm not the only one. But thank the sun, I'm out now. This feels like the first breaths after being trapped underwater.

Now I'm not sure what to do now, I guess Londo must be my next destination.

Oh the door behind the Onion Knight is now open...

Ridley327

Boy, you're going to hate yourself even more when you find out just how many bonfires are past Quelaag.

Would you guys say the Uchigatana is a good weapon? I want to upgrade it through the fire path to see how it is.

Already have a lightning claymore so need something for the achievement and to switch things up a bit.

I would say just summon someone in. That fight is such a dps race, second player will make it trivial.

I have been using the Uchi and Scimitar and the +4 Uchi is around the same damage as a +7 Scimitar. I know the Uchi gets an A rating in Dex at higher upgrades though if you are going elemental that wont matter. A +10 Fire Uchi will have 252 for both Physical and Fire damage wich is pretty decent and the move set is nice. Overall I like the Uchi as a weapon, especially with the Blood loss effect it has.

Beato is so horrible for that fight. He would be better off with a human summon. I miss the PS3 days when people left summon signs in New Londo.

My experiences with her have been completely different from the majority. She's solo'd the Moonlight Butterfly and has survived the entire 4 Kings fight multiple times for me.

Grief.exe

I have been using the Uchi and Scimitar and the +4 Uchi is around the same damage as a +7 Scimitar. I know the Uchi gets an A rating in Dex at higher upgrades though if you are going elemental that wont matter. A +10 Fire Uchi will have 252 for both Physical and Fire damage wich is pretty decent and the move set is nice. Overall I like the Uchi as a weapon, especially with the Blood loss effect it has.

Ya i just bought it from Shiva and it has a similar moveset to the Claymore but its faster so should be fun.

I'm a fully upgraded pyromancer so its best not to put my eggs in one basket though. Sometimes I invade people and my lightning claymore does next to no damage, so I whip out the pyromancy.
Sometimes its the opposite, so nice to have a second backup.

Raxus

I use a level +15 Iaito (another katana). The move set is great and it scales really well normally. I think people favore the Iaito over the Uchigatana but from what I understand they are pretty similar.

My experiences with her have been completely different from the majority. She's solo'd the Moonlight Butterfly and has survived the entire 4 Kings fight multiple times for me.

I've had the complete opposite. Every time I've summoned her she's done nothing but follow me around and maybe cast a spell once. I essentially solo the Four Kings every time.

Quikies83

A general rule that I follow for Demon's Souls & Dark Souls is: if you can't beat a boss (or bring his life close to zero) after 3 attempts, STOP. You'll only frustrate yourself and hate the game if you continue.

You need to leave the boss alone for a while and upgrade your armor/weapons, upgrade your vitality/endurance, or build a different type of weapon to use against him.

As far as the 4 kings are concerned:

1) If you're not dodging their sword attacks, you're doing it wrong. Build endurance and increase stamina regen - Havel's Ring, Dark Wood Grain Ring, Cloranthy Ring, etc.

2) If you don't have some way of blocking the magic attacks, you need to find a shield or armor with high magic resistance - Crest Shield, Elite Knight Set, etc

3) Summon help - In your first playthrough, Witch Beatrice has always served as a suitable distraction (this is pointless for NG+ & beyond)

4) You need high damage/high speed weapons to kill off the kings quickly before more spawn. I like fire or lightning versions of the Gargoyle's Halberd, Scythe, Scitmitar, or Iaito.

Some good advice there, thanks.
40 Endurance with my toon and I'm running this fight with full Havels + Havel Ring. I've been casting Iron Flesh as soon as I the first King gets near as well as Char Coal Resin on my +15 Claymore. I'm going to have to try another weapon..
Witch Beatrice is almost useless.. Her damage is great but she only casts maybe once every 10 or 15 seconds -- it's crazy.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ya i just bought it from Shiva and it has a similar moveset to the Claymore but its faster so should be fun.

I'm a fully upgraded pyromancer so its best not to put my eggs in one basket though. Sometimes I invade people and my lightning claymore does next to no damage, so I whip out the pyromancy.
Sometimes its the opposite, so nice to have a second backup.

???

You mean the two-handed Claymore swings, because most of the swords have a similar swinging animation two-handed, just different speeds. Which kind of sucks honestly. That's why I sometimes like the Zweihander, much wider horizontal arch when two handing.

Top Bottom