• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

purg3

slept with Malkin
Would you guys say the Uchigatana is a good weapon? I want to upgrade it through the fire path to see how it is.

Already have a lightning claymore so need something for the achievement and to switch things up a bit.

Uchi is probably my favorite weapon along with the Falchion.

Hypron

A general rule that I follow for Demon's Souls & Dark Souls is: if you can't beat a boss (or bring his life close to zero) after 3 attempts, STOP. You'll only frustrate yourself and hate the game if you continue.

You need to leave the boss alone for a while and upgrade your armor/weapons, upgrade your vitality/endurance, or build a different type of weapon to use against him.

As far as the 4 kings are concerned:

1) If you're not dodging their sword attacks, you're doing it wrong. Build endurance and increase stamina regen - Havel's Ring, Dark Wood Grain Ring, Cloranthy Ring, etc.

That's debatable. You don't actually need to roll, if you are in front of them and move to the left slowly they'll tend to do their overhead attack which is easily avoided by stepping to the side. Last time I beat them (in NG+) I went full Havel (including the shield) with a giant club +15 and it went very well, I never even rolled, I spent most of the time holding the club two handed, only swapping to the shield to block magical attacks and while running towards a new King.

before I left for work I started getting my divine butt-stabber ready for the catacombs, and it occurred to me that I hadn't killed the butterfly yet. so I did.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the sword crafted from her soul? it looks like a pretty freaking nice boss-whacker for a high INT character.

IoCaster

Yeah, about this Blighttown. There's some nasty shit down here. I entered from the top by way of valley full of drakes and I'm slowly working my way down. I'm getting pin-cushioned by poison darts and I can't see where it's coming from. And there's these big mosquitoes dive bombing me and knocking me out of cover. I may have to abandon this attempt and get some poison/toxin resistant gear before I try it again.

ArynCrinn

Banned
before I left for work I started getting my divine butt-stabber ready for the catacombs, and it occurred to me that I hadn't killed the butterfly yet. so I did.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the sword crafted from her soul? it looks like a pretty freaking nice boss-whacker for a high INT character.

Yeah, Moonlight Butterfly Horn is decent for a INT build, used it a bit myself on my only sorcery character. It's a spear weapon so it's probably great as a backup weapon to tank behind a shield with. You'll need it for the achievement anyway. Although there's far better boss-whacker's for a INT build, namely a +15 Balder Side Sword with Crystal Magic Weapon, or any good rapier (Estoc or Ricard's) +15. They shred bosses and enemies.

Ridley327

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask this earlier; I defeated Bed of Chaos (what a strange, strange fight that was), and I was wondering which Lordsoul would be the next one to tackle. Someone mentioned that finding the Sunlight Maggot was a really good thing for one of those upcoming areas.

Kalnos

Banned
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask this earlier; I defeated Bed of Chaos (what a strange, strange fight that was), and I was wondering which Lordsoul would be the next one to tackle. Someone mentioned that finding the Sunlight Maggot was a really good thing for one of those upcoming areas.

The Sunlight Maggot is good for
Tomb of Giants past the catacombs.

Grief.exe

What do you guys recommend for rings for PVE and PVP?

I broke Ring of Favor and Protection.

Havel's doesn't bring me below 25% equip.

I usually use Ring of Steel Protection and Covetous Gold Serpent Ring for PVE.

I generally use Ring of Steel Protection for PVP as well.

My question is whats another good ring to use instead of the Gold Serpent?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah, about this Blighttown. There's some nasty shit down here. I entered from the top by way of valley full of drakes and I'm slowly working my way down. I'm getting pin-cushioned by poison darts and I can't see where it's coming from. And there's these big mosquitoes dive bombing me and knocking me out of cover. I may have to abandon this attempt and get some poison/toxin resistant gear before I try it again.

Use the Spider Shield you can find on the bridge in Valley of the Drakes (the one guarded by a Drake) to block the poison darts. Because you're really not going to run into any truly decent poison resistant gear until further into Blighttown (Crimson Set) or the
Gold Hemmed Set
after Blighttown. So use the Spider Shield until you can pick up the Crimson Set from the route your coming from, go due North directly to a dead end and chest.

Goddamn church rafters. Awesome but fun. I clearly need more powerful arrows or a bow, where to get?

Upgrade your bow, and buy poison or fire arrow, or large arrows. Upgraded Longbow (maybe even Fire), or the Black Bow of Pharis (maybe with Lightning) are probably the best standard bows. But just upgrade it and pump DEX.

You'll find it when you find
Solaire
again down there! :p It's only really useful for one area though. But you'll find it by taking the bottom shortcut past the titanite demon, where there will be a bunch of bugs and one will be guaranteed to drop it. Just be prepared for a possible fight.

What do you guys recommend for rings for PVE and PVP?

I broke Ring of Favor and Protection.

Havel's doesn't bring me below 25% equip.

I usually use Ring of Steel Protection and Covetous Gold Serpent Ring for PVE.

I generally use Ring of Steel Protection for PVP as well.

My question is whats another good ring to use instead of the Gold Serpent?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dark-wood-grain-ring

great for pvp, lets you do backflips instead of rolling

Finally made it out of Blight Town, felt so relieved when I arrived in the Londo area beneath Firelink. Walked into elevator, turns out there was no elevator since I forgot to call it down, fell to my death. Back in the heart of Blight town.

Ahaha I just did this. I was cursed after being pushed down a hole in the depths and landing in a basilisk? nest so I figured I'd use the curse to see how I fared against the ghosts in new Londo. I was doing ok and earned about 10k souls and a humanity before I died... then in rushing to get back there to pick them up (they were in an easy to get spot) and ran straight onto the elevator and fell to my death.

I raged for a minute then laughed because it's such a silly thing to do and I've definitely learned that it's important to always take your time despite the feeling of being the master of a certain area it will always stab you in the back if you get too cocky.

Yeah, Moonlight Butterfly Horn is decent for a INT build, used it a bit myself on my only sorcery character. It's a spear weapon so it's probably great as a backup weapon to tank behind a shield with. You'll need it for the achievement anyway. Although there's far better boss-whacker's for a INT build, namely a +15 Balder Side Sword with Crystal Magic Weapon, or any good rapier (Estoc or Ricard's) +15. They shred bosses and enemies.

damn it, I just fed ricard's to frampt. well anyway, the horn looks pretty great, and it's mostly just for love-tapping the odd boss (in between soul arrows) and downing enemies which can't be butt-stabbed.

Grief.exe

Any tips on getting to Vamos easily?

I've failed for times trying to jump down to that ledge. So frustrating.

EDIT: Make that 5 times, except this time I clipped through the stairs and fell through the level..just wow at this point.

EDIT 2: wow 6 times. I even try to just fall off the ledge and I hit that one that From put there and it makes you slide over.

EDIT 3: Finally got it. Had to just walk off but not too lightly or you would undershoot, and not too heavily or you would hit the false ledge that would slide you off.

Razek

Banned
This game is so tense goddamn

I love it

I just want to get my Firekeeper at the link shrine back up and running :T

The worst is when you go straight to Blightown with the masterkey shortcut and decide to grab the
firkeepers soul in the sewer instantly triggering her death for the whole first half of the game. That sucked, bad.

Edit: Guess I should spoiler some of that.

x3sphere

Yay, looks my save just corrupted or something.

Game doesn't stop loading after selecting a save, just sits there. Tried verifying game cache and Steam said it was fine. I'll try to redownload anyway.

I had Durante's backup save option enabled but prior to using it I was manually backing up saves, and put them in a backup folder located inside the root save dir. Seems it was constantly backing up the save I put in that folder and not my active one... argh.

Lost like 10 hours progress if I can't recover this.

EDIT: Whew... redownloading the game fixed it.

That early slab I got was a fluke. I've been farming the Darkwraith knights with the serpent ring and 10 humanity for awhile now. I've accumulated 140,000 souls and 40 some titanite chunks but no more slabs. I'll do some more tomorrow.

Is there an indication of a point of no return in this game? Will I know when I am at the end?

I've been pumping nearly every point into INT. It's at 55 or so, the rest are 10-15. It gets pretty hairy when taking on bosses alone, however, if I have something/someone to distract them, my soul arrows absolutely smash them. I bought the Dragon Ring or whatever it is which boosts my sorcery, I am still stuck with my starting staff (Catalyst) though. I think I found a tin (?) one but it was a lot worse damage wise. Are there better staffs out there?

Eusis

Is there an indication of a point of no return in this game? Will I know when I am at the end?
The "point of no return" is right after you beat the final boss. Literally. You don't have to worry about any other points where you are unable to revisit older areas except sort of if
you "kill" Gwynevere
, and even then the affected area,
Anor Londo
, is still fully explorable, just appearing different and with some of the enemy mobs removed.

There is however the Painted World, which you can't exit until you clear it or if you use a Homeward Bone without going to the bonfire.

artorias of the abyss
Fuck this boss!!!I have spent all night trying to beat him NG+ SL111. I have had summoned help and did better solo. I get a pattern going get him to 20% and he just owns me fuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst is when you go straight to Blightown with the masterkey shortcut and decide to grab the
firkeepers soul in the sewer instantly triggering her death for the whole first half of the game. That sucked, bad.

Edit: Guess I should spoiler some of that.

Is that what does it? I thought it just triggers when you ring the second bell.

Razek

Banned
Is that what does it? I thought it just triggers when you ring the second bell.

That's what somebody told me too but I'm positive it's when you grab that item (Or, it might be when you grab your 3rd amount of that item, as I just realized I coincidentally made that particular one my third grab)

Edit: Checking the wiki, it's either by picking up the 3 items or by ringing both bells. I must have grabbed them all before ringing the bells every time.

FtHTiny

artorias of the abyss
Fuck this boss!!!I have spent all night trying to beat him NG+ SL111. I have had summoned help and did better solo. I get a pattern going get him to 20% and he just owns me fuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can try to help you tonight if you want, i´m sl120 so it technicaly should work.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Holy shit, finally did it. 15 fps centipede demon is the most BS thing ever. Really hope someone comes out with a patch for the particle effect lag.

Jintor

That's what somebody told me too but I'm positive it's when you grab that item (Or, it might be when you grab your 3rd amount of that item, as I just realized I coincidentally made that particular one my third grab)

Edit: Checking the wiki, it's either by picking up the 3 items or by ringing both bells. I must have grabbed them all before ringing the bells every time.

I honestly think it's just the soul in the dungeon. I never got the one in New Londo Ruins but that jackass knight ran off anyway.

fionel

Holy shit, finally did it. 15 fps centipede demon is the most BS thing ever. Really hope someone comes out with a patch for the particle effect lag.

someone in the dsfix thread mentioned that if you have a radeon card, u can try changing the fresh rate to something other than 60hz which for some reason disables v-sync and "fixes" the particle effect lag. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but its worth a shot.

I'm SL62 but I don't feel very powerful. Just wondered into the
Demon Ruins
, turned the corner, saw 5 or 6 enemies standing around and proceeded to use a Homeward Bone, lol.

Top Bottom