• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Dascu

Really 6K to buy a stone to cure curse? What?

You can buy them for 3k off an NPC in the first bell tower (if you didn't kill him at least). Otherwise, the trade-off is that there's only like two enemies in the game that can inflict curse. And by the time you have to fight that second enemy, there are other enemies close by that can drop those healing items.

IoCaster

This is insanity. I've become obsessed with beating this game. I got my thief gear up to +5. Remembered that I had an anti poison ring plus I had killed some big knight that dropped a Havel ring. I got kitted up with a +5 Balder Side Sword, +5 Longbow, +5 Spider Shield and +5 Halberd.

Then I went back to Blighttown and proceeded to kill everything in that shithole. I killed that spider queen with that Mildred freak and collected like 20 green titanite from a bunch of slugs/leeches/whatever they were. I found some secret level called Hollow something which was crazy and I fell off a branch and lost all my shit. Didn't care enough to try to get it back and just climbed back out of Blighttown and said fuck it.

Made it back to that fireside bonfire and went to give the chick a firesoul that I picked up but she was gone and the fire was out. So I went to that church bonfire and had the blacksmith fix my shit, got some upgrades and shut it down. A hell of a thing. This game is pure adrenaline.

didamangi

Just defeated Ornstein and Smough by myself. It's my first time seeing and fighting them ever and I won, feels really good man. That was a fun fight.

Getting bored looking at my onion knight, traded it off for some swag looking armor :D

9A4E65BB9DAC9DF0BEB0FABC458D78C85DC6E871

Jintor

Sauron wears dresses!

I have 15 int and a +10 axe, is it worth dumping titanite into a magical weapon or should I just push all the way to +15?

Peagles

Have only played a few hours or so but really loving it and it looks fantastic on my rig!

Finally died without being able to recover my souls, so just experienced my first loss. It's that damn knight at the top of the tower, lol. Took out the first one down the bottom without a scratch but this guy is just too fast! Might have to grind for endurance? Hmm...

Still fun though!

Fistwell

I currently using the drake sword..is it worth farming for the balder side sword? Or what is the next logical weapon?
Depends on your build and what you enjoy. For strength builds, the black knight sword is pretty decent. For dex, you should come across a nice enough katana in a little while.

Sarcasm

Depends on your build and what you enjoy. For strength builds, the black knight sword is pretty decent. For dex, you should come across a nice enough katana in a little while.

Sadly no black knights to farm til I come upon some new ones. I just feel like I need a new weapon.

FtHTiny

Sauron wears dresses!

I have 15 int and a +10 axe, is it worth dumping titanite into a magical weapon or should I just push all the way to +15?

Never really had good experiences with the magic weapon smithing. A +15 with a weapon was alsways better for me.

Zzoram

Any role players?

I mean, beating the game dressed entirely in Hollow Soldier gear or Baldur Knight gear or Black Knight gear.

Zaptruder

Banned
Any role players?

I mean, beating the game dressed entirely in Hollow Soldier gear or Baldur Knight gear or Black Knight gear.

I normally reserve that for a second play through.

I'll play through as Ciaran of the Lord's Blade on my next play through - using no shield, only the gold tracer and hornet's ring.

Sarcasm

I best the giant rat down and I see an item up above me. After some searching I think it is the spider shield. How is that compared to a hollow shield +4? How do I even get it?

didamangi

I best the giant rat down and I see an item up above me. After some searching I think it is the spider shield. How is that compared to a hollow shield +4? How do I even get it?

Break some barrels on the kitchen above where you fight the first butcher, there's a path behind it to get the spider shield.

Anyway, can I get
ornstein armor if I don't beat him last in the boss fight?

Valygar

I think it was...
I don't know if it was after or before, but there is a guy with a butcher's knife. There is a hole next to the wall besides, near the table. Fall in, and you will be there.
It is the best kind of shield I have, but I have 3 of them. I don't know where I got the 2nd one :S . It won't be better than that shield upgraded, but maybe it is better upgraded.

Arksy

So the DSfix allows us to play the game at 1080p+ with an uncapped frame rate? Sorry for asking a question you've probably had a dozen times already.

equil

So i just killed
Artorias
. And I'd never been in the area so i started exploring around and i found what i guess is the PVP Arena. And i noticed the wall had something that looked like leaderboards. When i went up and looked at it, its started loading the leaderboards then some kind of ingame error popped up and after that was up for like 1 second i BSOD.

Now my computer won't even launch windows...

So im not sure if it was the leaderboards the high res mod the game or my xbox controller that caused this. Never happened before and its the first time anything bad happened while playing the game.

wsippel

Banned
The Spider Shield blocks poison, so it's extremely useful in Blighttown. Also has 100% physical defense and acceptable fire defense, average stability, and is light and can be used to parry. I like it a lot.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
someone in the dsfix thread mentioned that if you have a radeon card, u can try changing the fresh rate to something other than 60hz which for some reason disables v-sync and "fixes" the particle effect lag. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but its worth a shot.

Doesn't work for me.

So i just killed
Artorias
. And I'd never been in the area so i started exploring around and i found what i guess is the PVP Arena. And i noticed the wall had something that looked like leaderboards. When i went up and looked at it, its started loading the leaderboards then some kind of ingame error popped up and after that was up for like 1 second i BSOD.

Now my computer won't even launch windows...

Dark Souls.

The Spider Shield blocks poison, so it's extremely useful in Blighttown. Also has 100% physical defense and acceptable fire defense, average stability, and is light and can be used to parry. I like it a lot.

Is it better than the blue crest shield? Im in Blightown and Im debating which one to use.

Jintor

Note to self: when you have 40k souls, don't go through the goddamn fog gate. 40K souls to Ornstein and Smough... I don't think there's anywhere safe to Homeward Bone, either...

nOoblet16

So I got invaded by some dude today while I was in the catacombs, I put aside my divine weapon and pulled out my lightning zweihander for this, and wait for him in the room with bonfire as it allows some space to fight but this guy instead of fighting me just runs away towards the other side of the level with all the enemies and while I fight them he comes in to get a poke shot and run away again. Sometimes I'll land a hit on him and as soon as I do he'll run away again. I'm like lol wtf? This went on for about 5-6 minutes before I got fed up and simply quit the game.

worst part of the game:

Not even close. It's the sweeps.
bed of sweeps^wchaos

Single-handedly stopping me from completing most playthroughs. There needs to be a comprehensive set of guides for every possible player stat combination (assuming that you'll grind the shit out of anything gear-wise without changing your intended build solely in order to make the boss easier).

Fuck man. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

--------------

Anyone else notice how the just about everything on the new content is especially magic, fire, and lightning resistant, yet bends over pretty hard for physical damage? I put down an int/dex built to put together a quality (str/dex) build earlier and as soon as your damage is all in one place and not relying on on brute-forcing past high non-physical resistances, it's a breeze. A +15 gargoyle halbred and 33/33 str/dex will two-handed one-shot all of the lower mobs and carve through everything else.

Something that I love/loath about this game is how once you are deep inside a new area, you are pretty much stuck, might as well just continue forward as going back means killing everything you just killed (if you touched a bonfire).

Right now im deep inside Blightown and I want to go back and spend souls on gear from a merchant, but just thinking about going all the way back make me shudder.

Im not too interested in leveling up right now as im trying to keep a low level char for PvP later, so here I am with 20k worth of souls and nothing to spend them on haha.

Its awesome but annoying at the same time hehe.

wsippel

Banned
wait...you can go into the depths without fighting the capra demon. HOW??!!
Firelink Shrine -> New Londo Ruins -> Valley of Drakes -> Blighttown -> Depths I guess? You'd need the master key for that.

EDIT: Yeah, thought so. If you skip the Capra Demon, you have to skip the Depths altogether.

didamangi

Something that I love/loath about this game is how once you are deep inside a new area, you are pretty much stuck, might as well just continue forward as going back means killing everything you just killed (if you touched a bonfire).

Right now im deep inside Blightown and I want to go back and spend souls on gear from a merchant, but just thinking about going all the way back make me shudder.

Im not too interested in leveling up right now as im trying to keep a low level char for PvP later, so here I am with 20k worth of souls and nothing to spend them on haha.

Its awesome but annoying at the same time hehe.

Reinforce weapons always a good thing to spend your souls on.

So im desperate to upgrade my Claymore past +5, but I cant find any Titanite Chunk.

These are the places I have visited so far:

Undead Parish
Undead Burg
Depths
Blightown

How can I get some? is
Snuggly
my only option? if so, how can I get more
rubbish
?

wsippel

Banned
So im desperate to upgrade my Claymore past +5, but I cant find any Titanite Chunk.

These are the places I have visited so far:

Undead Parish
Undead Burg
Depths
Blightown

How can I get some? is
Snuggly
my only option? if so, how can I get more
rubbish
?
I believe the black knight in Undead Burg drops one?

Top Bottom