• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Pakkidis

So im desperate to upgrade my Claymore past +5, but I cant find any Titanite Chunk.

These are the places I have visited so far:

Undead Parish
Undead Burg
Depths
Blightown

How can I get some? is
Snuggly
my only option? if so, how can I get more
rubbish
?

You do have the
right ember to upgrade beyond +5?
If not then that's your problem.

Ridley327

So im desperate to upgrade my Claymore past +5, but I cant find any Titanite Chunk.

Undead Parish
Undead Burg
Depths
Blightown

How can I get some? is
Snuggly
rubbish
?

From the areas you've described, the Black Knights would be your best bet right now, provided that you haven't already killed them. There are more enemies later on that drop them.

rybrad

So I accidentally attacked the dude behind the hidden wall after the Blighttown boss. Does he have/do anything worth a crap? I don't really want to grind out the souls for absolution if he is useless.

Alucrid

Banned
So I accidentally attacked the dude behind the hidden wall after the Blighttown boss. Does he have/do anything worth a crap? I don't really want to grind out the souls for absolution if he is useless.
spells and access to a covenant

Mupod

Undead Parish
Undead Burg
Depths
Blightown

How can I get some? is
Snuggly
rubbish
?

You can only trade with her once.

Also, last I checked you need Large Titanite Shard to go past +5, and chunks are for 10-14. There's plenty of places to get the former but the best spot for the latter is from Darkwraiths in the second part of New Londo Ruins which you might not be able to access yet.

I don't remember if crystal lizards drop titanite chunks, but you could try the Great Hollow. If you don't know where that is, go explore the bottom part of Blighttown a bit more. If you do attempt to go lizard hunting there don't go in expecting to keep your humanity and souls.

He's not necessary even for the covenant, but if he's not dead then he's good to have around if you're a pyromancer.

I believe the black knight in Undead Burg drops one?

You do have the
right ember to upgrade beyond +5?
If not then that's your problem.

From the areas you've described, the Black Knights would be your best bet right now, provided that you haven't already killed them. There are more enemies later on that drop them.

I already killed all the Black Knights before Blighttown, I dont think they left any. :(

But I guess I read the wiki wrong, what I need is Titanite Shards, So I guess I gotta farm the
slimes in the depths

You can only trade with her once.

Also, last I checked you need Large Titanite Shard to go past +5, and chunks are for 10-14. There's plenty of places to get the former but the best spot for the latter is from Darkwraiths in the second part of New Londo Ruins which you might not be able to access yet.

I don't remember if crystal lizards drop titanite chunks, but you could try the Great Hollow. If you don't know where that is, go explore the bottom part of Blighttown a bit more. If you do attempt to go lizard hunting there don't go in expecting to keep your humanity and souls.

He's not necessary even for the covenant, but if he's not dead then he's good to have around if you're a pyromancer.

Im at the fog door in Blighttown, so im guessing im getting there, thanks for the warning about spending my souls first :)

rybrad

spells and access to a covenant
Yes.
High level pyromancy.
Thanks guys, I was able to still join the covenant and I haven't ever used spells so looks like no grinding for me.

One last question, when is the appropriate time for the DLC? I heard if you do it at the end of the game it is easy and I don't want that. Apologies if that has already been answered, I have been avoiding this thread to have a blind playthrough on my first go.

Mupod

Sending Laurentius to do? Is that new content?

No.
When you talk to him after finding Chaos pyromancy he's enthralled by it, and if you tell him where you got it he heads down there to investigate.

And hollows as a result. ;_;

No.
When you talk to him after finding Chaos pyromancy he's enthralled by it, and if you tell him where you got it he heads down there to investigate.

;_;

I still have him sitting at Firelink, wondering how I became so powerful. I couldn't tell him, it's nice having NPCs around!

Mupod

Thanks guys, I was able to still join the covenant and I haven't ever used spells so looks like no grinding for me.

One last question, when is the appropriate time for the DLC? I heard if you do it at the end of the game it is easy and I don't want that. Apologies if that has already been answered, I have been avoiding this thread to have a blind playthrough on my first go.

I'd say you'd be fine doing it as soon as you can access it, but the bosses are all tougher then anything after Fat and Slim IMO so it wouldn't be super boring if you waited either. I would advise going to at least Tomb of the Giants or Lost Izalith before heading down there simply because you don't have basic sorceries, and there's an item you might want before the third boss of the DLC. It's actually two items that more or less do the same thing, but...you'll see.

Also doing it after Lost Izalith will cleanse your palate of how shitty that place was with the gloriously well-done new content.

Alucrid

Banned
D
No.

Oh, I got lautrec and Laurentius confused for a sec

Quikies83

Any tips for the Gargoyles fight? Gonna take them on in a while.

Summon Solaire before the battle -- Try to stay around the gargoyle's rear (and take out that tail). You should be able to block all of his attacks. Two-hand your weapon and just whack away at his rear - pulling up your shield and blocking when you need to. The trickiness comes in when the first gargoyle is down to a little less than half and the other one jumps down. Just try to take out the first one as quick as you can and the second one is really easy -- his fire attack doesn't have much range.
Really summoning the NPC will be your best help as he can serve as a distraction to the boss -- allowing you to get on that ass.

derFeef

Any tips for the Gargoyles fight? Gonna take them on in a while.

I think it's important to not take too long as it's getting harder when the second one comes down. So I tried to do as much damage to the first one while you can, so be very agressive - worked well for me. Head to the rear and do strong attacks, this will wind them down fast. I had the Knights Shield and managed to block every attack successfully without taking damage.

The fire attack is fairly easy to dodge but it has a wide angle so be aware of that.

Grief.exe

I think it's important to not take too long as it's getting harder when the second one comes down. So I tried to do as much damage to the first one while you can, so be very agressive - worked well for me. Head to the rear and do strong attacks, this will wind them down fast. I had the Knights Shield and managed to block every attack successfully without taking damage.

The fire attack is fairly easy to dodge but it has a wide angle so be aware of that.

Its not based on time for the second one to spawn, its based on health.
Once you take the first one down to 50%, the second one will spawn.

If you are having trouble take the first one down to just above 50%, activate a lightning resin, then finish it off before the second one can fly down.

Focus on attacking the tails.

Jintor

Any tips on getting past the terror twins Ornstein and Smough? Not to mention the goddamn Guardian golems before them, who rapidly tax my patience.

derFeef

Oh wow, I needed two tries and I am pretty sure I winded down the first one much lower than 50% in my second try. Sorry then :)

Dascu

Any tips on getting past the terror twins Ornstein and Smough? Not to mention the goddamn Guardian golems before them, who rapidly tax my patience.

Pray.

Serous tips:
- You can run from the bonfire to the boss without having to fight any enemies. Go up the rotating staircase and then try to jump over the railing to the second floor. Then just run forward into the main hall and run past the guard.
- You can summon Solaire on the opposite staircase in that main hall.
- Might be best to focus on Ornstein first.

Quikies83

Just run past those guardians. I took on this fight solo and was victorious by going after Smough first. Try to keep Smough in front of Orn while keeping a broken pillar in between you and Smough -- that way his rushing/sliding attack can't hit you (it can hit you if you are riding the pillar -- move back when he stops the slide and swings the mace. He leaves an opening for a single attack (2-handed) basically after ever one of his moves.
Like other bosses, plan on dying a lot while you're figuring out their move set.

edit: I had no idea you could summon Solaire for this fight.

Grief.exe

Just keep ornstein locked on as you can see smough coming and he's easy to dodge.

Poke orn with a fire weapon and smough with lightning.

When smough goes super mode, just poke him and his attacks are easy to dodge. Watch out for his but slam, if you see him jump in the air just roll backward.

edgefusion

Rest at the bonfire at the start of the area, with the firekeeper. It'll give you 10 estus instead of 5. Provided you've opened the front doors of the cathedral you can run past all the enemies and go through the fog without being hit.

I beat them just last night, here's what I did:

Focus on the skinny guy first as he's more lethal than tubby due to his fast movement. I used the lightning spear so I could keep my shield up as I attacked and occasionally used combustion when there was an opening. Combustion is incredibly useful during this fight as it's possible to get in many hits in a row for quite a bit of damage. When skinny goes down you just have tubby to worry about. Stand so that one of the broken pillars is between you and all his attacks become trivial to dodge. Simply jump out and attack once or twice before returning to safety. The only thing you need worry about is his electro-butt-stomp but it's telegraphed very plainly so it's easy to roll away from.

Once the skinny guy is down the fight just becomes a matter of patience as you chip away tubbys health.

Razek

Banned

Just to add to the other tips, here is a simple one that made the fight for me: Keep your camera facing them at all times so you can anticipate when to dodge.

Major addition to the advice already stated:

Kindle the Anor Londo bonfire so you get more flasks. No need to run from the firekeeper bonfire.

Unlock the shortcut from the dragon trophy room to the first corridor, which means you only have two enemies to face (+possibly the huge guards). No need for the stairs shortcut (which IS useful to open the shortcut door to begin with).

Eusis

worst part of the game:

iiTwsA2pJGhRl.png
This is one of those parts you can master then wonder why you ever had trouble with it.

Smough and Ornstein are the worst part instead. You don't even have the luxury of "Well guess I'll just do something else instead" if you get stuck badly enough.

Carm

Have a question if someone could answer.

Kindling. You have to be in human form, to get back to being dead, are my only options, jump off a cliff, find something to kill me?

Mupod

Have a question if someone could answer.

Kindling. You have to be in human form, to get back to being dead, are my only options, jump off a cliff, find something to kill me?

Check your inventory and use the Darksign. It's an easy way to suicide.

Eusis

Check your inventory and use the Darksign. It's an easy way to suicide.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Far as I can tell you CAN'T reclaim anything you lost from dying when using this, no blood stain to find or anything. I'd only recommend this as a last resort, like getting hit by a bug where you are stuck in world geometry.

Mupod

IMPORTANT NOTE: Far as I can tell you CAN'T reclaim anything you lost from dying when using this, no blood stain to find or anything. I'd only recommend this as a last resort, like getting hit by a bug where you are stuck in world geometry.

What, really?

I've never actually tried it, and always assumed it left a bloodstain.

Man that part with the archers in Anor Londo is pissing me off. I've never felt so frustrated when playing this game. This is some grade A bullshit. :(

Top Bottom