• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

What, really?

I've never actually tried it, and always assumed it left a bloodstain.

Nah, it's more like a homeward bone that you can always use, but you don't keep your souls.

Man that part with the archers in Anor Londo is pissing me off. I've never felt so frustrated when playing this game. This is some grade A bullshit. :(

Run. You don't even need to sprint, just don't stop on your way up. Ignore the one on the left. Roll through an arrow while heading to the guy on the right - don't block it. Get in his face and parry/riposte, kick, combustion, force, or otherwise knock him off the ledge. Works every time.

I kept hearing how a lot of people where dieing on the Moonlight butterfly... that was by far the easiest boss in the game so far. I got hit once...

Nah, it's more like a homeward bone that you can always use, but you don't keep your souls.

Run. You don't even need to sprint, just don't stop on your way up. Ignore the one on the left. Roll through an arrow while heading to the guy on the right - don't block it. Get in his face and parry/riposte, kick, combustion, force, or otherwise knock him off the ledge. Works every time.

I'll try that in a sec. Doesn't help that sometimes the two demons kill me because I'm not concentrating enough due to all the dying. Sigh.

Razek

Banned
Man that part with the archers in Anor Londo is pissing me off. I've never felt so frustrated when playing this game. This is some grade A bullshit. :(

It's been the worst part for me so far. If you play certain build this part can really mess you up. If you want a hint:

Sprint up the arch until you reach the ledge. Quickly navigate the ledge going right and start rolling into that archer, timing it so you invincibility frame the arrows. Once he eventually switches weapon, put up a shield/weapon guard and he will knock himself off.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I just got to Blighttown and I'm cursed and feel way underpowered. Standard enemies down there are taking at least 10 hits to kill. Is that normal or should I do some weapon upgrading and such before tackling it?

Zaventem

I just got to Blighttown and I'm cursed and feel way underpowered. Standard enemies down there are taking at least 10 hits to kill. Is that normal or should I do some weapon upgrading and such before tackling it?

10 hits is not normal for anything but bosses.

Ridley327

It figures; I survive just about everything in the
Tomb of the Giants, and I was too dumb to realize that the giant skeleton archer wouldn't be alone. Giant skeleton boots me into the abyss.

Oh well.

Mupod

It figures; I survive just about everything in the
Tomb of the Giants, and I was too dumb to realize that the giant skeleton archer wouldn't be alone. Giant skeleton boots me into the abyss.

Oh well.

I hate that guy.

If you didn't meet Leeroy yet make sure to revert to human next time you walk down there.

Have you gone to the blacksmith in Undead parish and upgraded your favorite weapon??

It takes me 2-3 hits to kill the Blightown mobs with my Claymore +5

worst part of the game:

iiTwsA2pJGhRl.png
No, its super easy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqtN0sibaRc&feature=plcp

cjsnapp

Neo Member
Have you gone to the blacksmith in Undead parish and upgraded your favorite weapon??

It takes me 2-3 hits to kill the Blightown mobs with my Claymore +5

I have a Halberd +3 right now but I also bought a Crystal Great Sword from the guy in the sewers. I'm going to work on upgrading both I think before moving on to Blighttown. Thanks for the input guys.

Has anyone opted for the Flamberge over the Iaito? I've used a fully upgraded lightning Iaito on two characters before, so I'm thinking it's time for a change. I wish I knew about the Flamberge before because the needed stats are much lower than the Iaito too.

Razek

Banned
The issue I had with the swinging axes is that electric snake archer on the second set. He's too far away to lock on and if you don't time your rolls correctly he hits you with the shock damage and you get stopped almost always conveniently in front of a blade.

When is it a good idea to go to the forest located behind the first
Titanite Demon
the one below the blacksmith at the undead parish?

I managed to kill him at level 18 but im afraid to continue unto the forest, when am I supposed to come back here.

I have a Halberd +3 right now but I also bought a Crystal Great Sword from the guy in the sewers. I'm going to work on upgrading both I think before moving on to Blighttown. Thanks for the input guys.

I might be wrong as im a newbie at the game, but I think Crystal stuff is not worth upgrading unless you dont mind losing the materials/souls as they cant be repaired.

The issue I had with the swinging axes is that electric snake archer on the second set. He's too far away to lock on and if you don't time your rolls correctly he hits you with the shock damage and you get stopped almost always conveniently in front of a blade.
Hm, I should try a run and record it where I run through all the way to the second bonfire without killing anything but two mobs.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
*deep breath*

That feeling when you clear half of blighttown only to slip on some slippery rotten wood and plummet to your demise.

That feeling.

King Boo

what level should i keep? i heard i can't invade or help people if my level gets too high. but it doesn't make sense, i got attacked by someone who had tons of health, and can do these fire spells i have never seen before. i'm level 20 (started over since i wasted a boss soul and the firelink soul).

what level should i keep? i heard i can't invade or help people if my level gets too high. but it doesn't make sense, i got attacked by someone who had tons of health, and can do these fire spells i have never seen before. i'm level 20 (started over since i wasted a boss soul and the firelink soul).

Probably cheaters with endgame gear and low level.

Ridley327

When is it a good idea to go to the forest located behind the first
Titanite Demon
the one below the blacksmith at the undead parish?

I managed to kill him at level 18 but im afraid to continue unto the forest, when am I supposed to come back here.

Well, the part of the forest that you'll be able to access right away isn't so bad; the worse you would have to worry about are the ambushes, but unlike other ambushes, it's really easy to tell when they're going to happen.

Ridley327

I should mention that
Pinwheel
is one of the most inversely proportional boss fights ever.

"Shit, he looks fierce."
"OH SHIT, he can duplicate!"
"Oh...he's taking a lot of damage wait he's dead already."

Pooya

just killed the Gaping Dragon on my first attempt without getting hit even once just with arrows. took a while but this thing was way easier than it looked... half of the boss fights so far includes not getting terrified and just think.

I was feeling so proud then fell to my death on my way to Blighttown.............

Yo Gotti

Banned
Has anyone opted for the Flamberge over the Iaito? I've used a fully upgraded lightning Iaito on two characters before, so I'm thinking it's time for a change. I wish I knew about the Flamberge before because the needed stats are much lower than the Iaito too.

I've always thought about using the Flamberge, but seeing as it's a Greatsword, the Claymore or BKS always beats it out for either raw damage/range(BKS) or moveset(Claymore).

It's no replacement for the Iaito either. I'm sure the Iaito is much faster and more versatile, with it's speed the Bleed effect is much more useful as well.

saxman717

Banned
I've found the website w/ the Excel files for stat calculators, but still can't wrap my head around how individual spell damage values scale based on level and how weapons scale based on S-A-B-C-D-E ratings....

Let's say I have the Sorcerers Catalyst and Great Heavy Soul Arrow at INT of 25. What is the damage and how does it change vs. using just a Great Soul Arrow?

How does the damage increase as I level up INT?

I see that the Pyromancy Glove (Ascended to +15, then to +5) scales as 'A' with INT. If it has a based value of 230, how much does each level of INT raise that value, or does it raise it at all?

Any clarification here would help!!

I've always thought about using the Flamberge, but seeing as it's a Greatsword, the Claymore or BKS always beats it out for either raw damage/range(BKS) or moveset(Claymore).

It's no replacement for the Iaito either. I'm sure the Iaito is much faster and more versatile, with it's speed the Bleed effect is much more useful as well.
I don't think I've ever seen the BKS drop on 3 chars. I have their halberd currently though.

Sullichin

I've found the website w/ the Excel files for stat calculators, but still can't wrap my head around how individual spell damage values scale based on level and how weapons scale based on S-A-B-C-D-E ratings....

Let's say I have the Sorcerers Catalyst and Great Heavy Soul Arrow at INT of 25. What is the damage and how does it change vs. using just a Great Soul Arrow?

How does the damage increase as I level up INT?

I see that the Pyromancy Glove (Ascended to +15, then to +5) scales as 'A' with INT. If it has a based value of 230, how much does each level of INT raise that value, or does it raise it at all?

Any clarification here would help!!

Pyromancy glove only scales its melee attack -- which you will never use -- with INT. the actual damage does NOT scale with INT at all.

INT adjusts the "MagAdjust" stat of your catalyst. You want to choose the Catalyst that has the highest MagAdjust for your INT level.

You can further increase the power of all spells, pyromancy, and miracles by using the bellowing dragoncrest ring and/or the crown of dusk (or Xanthos Crown).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This thread gives me the itch to replay this on the PC... hopefully Steam sale for Halloween has a good deal on this.

So many fond memories.

Switched from using Halberds to an Ultra Greatsword now that i'm sticking to a tank character. Damn these weapons are a beast but the swing time does take some getting used to.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
So I have a Claymore +10 and around 34 strength... would it better to convert the Claymore to lightning/fire or to keep going up towards +15. I'm not sure how the scaling works and how much strength it takes to be more effective than elemental.

saxman717

Banned
Pyromancy glove only scales its melee attack -- which you will never use -- with INT. the actual damage does NOT scale with INT at all.

INT adjusts the "MagAdjust" stat of your catalyst. You want to choose the Catalyst that has the highest MagAdjust for your INT level.

You can further increase the power of all spells, pyromancy, and miracles by using the bellowing dragoncrest ring and/or the crown of dusk (or Xanthos Crown).

Thanks for the clarification --- are the damage values for the specific spells listed anywhere? Trying to figure out what the exact damage difference is between soul arrow, great soul arrow, great heavy soul arrow etc.....

Mupod

So I have a Claymore +10 and around 34 strength... would it better to convert the Claymore to lightning/fire or to keep going up towards +15. I'm not sure how the scaling works and how much strength it takes to be more effective than elemental.

Definitely keep working toward the +15. Elemental just isn't that good anymore from my experience, especially in the new areas where everything has insane resistance.

Razek

Banned

If you choose to use a spell modifier such as 'magical weapon' or plan on using pine resins to add effect damage, you will do more damage by going +15. (assuming no weakness/resistance)

Raxus

This is one of those parts you can master then wonder why you ever had trouble with it.

Smough and Ornstein are the worst part instead. You don't even have the luxury of "Well guess I'll just do something else instead" if you get stuck badly enough.

S&O are no doubt the hardest (or one of the hardest parts) of the game. But far from the worst. I think it is perhaps one of the best encounters in Dark Souls outside of the new content. Lots of skill and the cheapness levels is toned down, but 2 on 1 is still silly but there are plenty ways around that.

By far the worst parts of the game is Lost Izalith
minus the shortcut, Bed of Chaos,
and Blighttown frame rate (consoles).

S&O are no doubt the hardest (or one of the hardest parts) of the game. But far from the worst. I think it is perhaps one of the best encounters in Dark Souls outside of the new content. Lots of skill and the cheapness levels is toned down, but 2 on 1 is still silly but there are plenty ways around that.

By far the worst parts of the game is Lost Izalith
minus the shortcut, Bed of Chaos,
and Blighttown frame rate (consoles).

I'm surprised so many people are having trouble with S&O, I beat them both fairly easily with 30 vitality, 24 strength, Havels set and a +5 Raw Halberd.

Died a million times trying to get past the archers though.

No, even if you backtrack through blighttown, the door won't open from that side. You have to beat Capra to open the depths.
Boo. I hadn't made the trek yet but I was hoping to grind the basilisks without having to kill the Capra demon. I guess I could try the ones in the great hollow.

derwalde

i just joined the darkmoon blades. can i join any other convenant without betraying the darkmoon blades, so that i can rejoin them later in the game?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
i just joined the darkmoon blades. can i join any other convenant without betraying the darkmoon blades, so that i can rejoin them later in the game?
I don't think they come after you if you just leave for another covenant but you do lose a portion of the rep you've gained so far.

What will get you a betrayal status and have them come after you is killing
Gwyndolin or Gwenevere.

nOoblet16

Use help from phantoms people ! If you're having trouble defeating S&O.
Also investing in the zweihander has paid me off big time, I'm pretty much always overpowered (strength wise) for any area. It's also great for PvP cause the swing covers such a huge area that it's hard for opponents to roll around you (and get a backstab) and it also stuns the opponent very easily, once they are stunned you get a free hit or two which pretty much means gameover for them considering it's damage output. Today I was able to invade and kill two people at once with two swings from the zweihander..that was great !

Raxus

Just to add to this. If you are looking to build upon a particular core stat (str,dex,int,faith) then you want to focus a particular weapon that scales well to that stat to +15 (or enchanted/occult for int and faith builds).

If you just want to focus on other stats (like end and vit). Then invest in fire, chaos, or lightning. They remove stat scaling and give the weapon a powerful elemental effect.

Chaos is weaker than fire but grows stronger if you have humanity. Chaos' damage is peaked once you reach 10 humanity.

Rich!

Just beat
butterfly boss on the bridge
, got the key to the watchtower in Burg. Went there, avoided some bastard knight....and ended up back in the woods?

Where the hell am I supposed to go? Haha. Oh, and an EASY way to get unlimited souls, quick:

Between Undead Burg and Parish, theres a bridge covered in oil with a dragon above. Go to the stairwell halfway, and down a ladder you find the bonfire in the burg. Use bonfire, climb ladder, run onto bridge, enemies get flamed by dragon, you gain 500 souls. Run back down to bonfire, and repeat.

I ended up with a good 10,000 souls in no time whatsoever. No health loss, nothing.

Zzoram

I did co-op to help someone take out Gaping Dragon, used the soul bonus to buy a purging stone and fix my curse. Summoned someone to help me with Gaping Dragon, it killed me with 1 hit of it's tail.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Cool thanks for the advice everyone. I have the most points in strength because I have a soft spot in my heart for huge heavy weapons and greatshields. So does anyone know of a greatsword that has A or B in the +strength stat? I think my Claymore is C.

Top Bottom