• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

Cool thanks for the advice everyone. I have the most points in strength because I have a soft spot in my heart for huge heavy weapons and greatshields. So does anyone know of a greatsword that has A or B in the +strength stat? I think my Claymore is C.

Demon Great Machete
Black Knight Greataxe
Large Club
Great Club
Man Serpent Greatsword
Demon's Greataxe
Demon Great Hammer

All have great STR scaling.

These weapons are best used 2 handed so you probably don't need to worry about meeting the 1 hand STR requirement. Well I guess you do if you like to use greatshields. You're gonna need a lot of endurance, these weapons are heavy

Razek

Banned
Use help from phantoms people ! If you're having trouble defeating S&O.
Also investing in the zweihander has paid me off big time, I'm pretty much always overpowered (strength wise) for any area. It's also great for PvP cause the swing covers such a huge area that it's hard for opponents to roll around you (and get a backstab) and it also stuns the opponent very easily, once they are stunned you get a free hit or two which pretty much means gameover for them considering it's damage output. Today I was able to invade and kill two people at once with two swings from the zweihander..that was great !

If I was to call a weapon OP, this would be it. The power hit staggers everything in this game and it 1 shots nearly everything. The tough enemies take 2 shots but you stagger lock them so they can't move. The bosses are a joke, you can one shot kill everything on the way to the Parish bell.

Dark souls has already slipped into my top 4 most played steam games.

Crazy.

It's my #3 behind Terriria and Skyrim.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Demon Great Machete
Black Knight Greataxe
Large Club
Great Club
Man Serpent Greatsword
Demon's Greataxe
Demon Great Hammer

These weapons are best used 2 handed so you probably don't need to worry about meeting the 1 hand STR requirement. Well I guess you do if you like to use greatshields. You're gonna need a lot of endurance, these weapons are heavy

Thats a beautiful thing. Ty ty :)

Demon Great Machete
Black Knight Greataxe
Large Club
Great Club
Man Serpent Greatsword
Demon's Greataxe
Demon Great Hammer

Wait a second, I thought the letter based stat changed as you improved it, so lets say the claymore will never have a scaling of B or A or S in the Strength department even if you level up strength all the way?

Mupod

Wait a second, I thought the letter based stat changed as you improved it, so lets say the claymore will never have a scaling of B or A or S in the Strength department even if you level up strength all the way?

It actually depends on the weapon. Some change, some don't.

Sullichin

Some weapons will change its scaling letter as you upgrade the weapon - like reinforced club will get B scaling in STR at +6 - others won't. You won't increase the letter associated with the scaling by upgrading your strength stat. Just the damage. An example, say a weapon has C scaling and you have 20STR, and you get +60 for the ParamBonus. If you upgrade to 21STR, the weapon will still have C scaling, and maybe you'll get +62 for the ParamBonus. These are made up numbers.

wsippel

Banned
I might be wrong there, but does the Bloodshield have a slightly longer parry window compared to other shields in the same class? It feels almost like the Target Shield in that regard.

Razek

Banned
Isn't the scaling in this game even with an S weapon kind of pointless though? [Weapon stat spoilers] Using a stat calc, the Demons Greataxe with S str has a 654 power rating at the minimum strength to one hand wield, 46. At 99, it's power is 712. Seems like a waste of points.

Orayn

Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting a new thread dedicated to speedrunning Dark Souls. There doesn't seem to be much of a community for it, and the fastest run that I know of was made before patch 1.05 on console. Would anyone here be interested in helping me get some of the basic information together and design the OP?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Isn't the scaling in this game even with an S weapon kind of pointless though? [Weapon stat spoilers] Using a stat calc, the Demons Greataxe with S str has a 654 power rating at the minimum strength to one hand wield, 46. At 99, it's power is 712. Seems like a waste of points.

That's why people hardly ever put more than 40 points into specific stats except for a handful of specific builds, and even with those people won't go past 50.

It's not pointless, though. The Demon's Greataxe is kind of a bad example because by the time you can 1hand it you've already hit the point of diminishing returns anyway. Pretty much every useful weapon in the game has a relatively low stat requirement, so as you put more and more stats into dex or str or whatever you're going for, you're going to notice a big difference. If the str requirement for that weapon was 20 instead of 46, then the effect of scaling would be a lot more apparent.

Past 40 though? Yeah it's pointless.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting a new thread dedicated to speedrunning Dark Souls. There doesn't seem to be much of a community for it, and the fastest run that I know of was made before patch 1.05 on console. Would anyone here be interested in helping me get some of the basic information together and design the OP?

Why do we need a specific thread for this?

Ridley327

My understanding of the stats is that there's a kind of soft lock on each of them, where they top out and offer no improvements beyond that. I think that Dexterity really doesn't have any benefit beyond 40, so there's no point in dumping points into it.

That's why it's funny to see hacked players put everything into the 90s; it really doesn't give them any advantage over you, provided they aren't using other trainers like infinite health or OHK.

Zzoram

I was just invaded for the first time on PC. It was 5 minutes of dueling, and ended with both of us killing each other at the exact same time lolol. We both had the death animation going on in sync and slumped down beside each other.

Most stats only give small improvements past 40, and past 50 it gets really tiny.

Viewtify

Banned

http://www.twitch.tv/lthanatosl Is the current record holder I believe. He said he got a 30:46 real time which is 29:27 game time. I don't know if he posted the video somewhere.

There is also thread on SDA about Dark Souls.

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/dark_souls_151.html

I was just invaded for the first time on PC. It was 5 minutes of dueling, and ended with both of us killing each other at the exact same time lolol. We both had the death animation going on in sync and slumped down beside each other.

Most stats only give small improvements past 40, and past 50 it gets really tiny.

Getting invaded is awesome but its kind of ruined in the Windows version, im always wondering if the guy invading me is cheating or not :(, I get super nervous.... The few bouts I have had with legit players have been amazing.

Zzoram

Getting invaded is awesome but its kind of ruined in the Windows version, im always wondering if the guy invading me is cheating or not :(, I get super nervous.... The few bouts I have had with legit players have been amazing.

I was lucky, my first invader was not a cheater. It was a close hard fought fight. We were fighting around the hidden bonfire at the soul farming forest spot so there was that tight cliff around and even if it was a cheater, I would've at least had a small chance of kicking him off.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
My memory eludes me, there's no form of "respec" or the like in Dark Souls right?

Ridley327

One observation that I need clarification on:
I noticed that there are two different Greatswords of Artorias; one that I can make from my Claymore and another that uses a smaller weapon (I think it's my Bandit's Knife?). I haven't fought the boss that drops the soul to make it, but what are the differences between the two, and is one better than the other?

Mupod

One observation that I need clarification on:
I noticed that there are two different Greatswords of Artorias; one that I can make from my Claymore and another that uses a smaller weapon (I think it's my Bandit's Knife?). I haven't fought the boss that drops the soul to make it, but what are the differences between the two, and is one better than the other?

One is cursed and can hit ghosts, which is sort of useful if you're lazy I guess. The other is stronger, but is really not an ideal weapon to use unless you are insanely high level because of the way its stat requirements/scaling work.

You can also make a really badass greatshield with the soul, but it needs a lot of strength to use.

Ridley327

One is cursed and can hit ghosts, which is sort of useful if you're lazy I guess. The other is stronger, but is really not an ideal weapon to use unless you are insanely high level because of the way its stat requirements/scaling work.

You can also make a really badass greatshield with the soul, but it needs a lot of strength to use.

I'll make a note of that; I'm basically a melee build, so strength/dex requirements don't concern me that much.

JeTmAn81

Are there any guidelines to choosing which weapons to upgrade? I don't have any particularly good weapons currently, and my best one is the halberd. I got to the smith underneath the church, so should I just start upgrading my halberd or is it better to wait for a special weapon and spend the souls on that?

Also, I got invaded for the first time yesterday. The guy was glowing red and my axe strikes passed right through him. I tried to run away for a while but ended up getting backstabbed. I'm on the PS3 version.

Mupod

Are there any guidelines to choosing which weapons to upgrade? I don't have any particularly good weapons currently, and my best one is the halberd. I got to the smith underneath the church, so should I just start upgrading my halberd or is it better to wait for a special weapon and spend the souls on that?

Also, I got invaded for the first time yesterday. The guy was glowing red and my axe strikes passed right through him. I tried to run away for a while but ended up getting backstabbed. I'm on the PS3 version.

If you like the halberd, by all means upgrade the hell out of it. It's a really good weapon.

He wanted the Ring of Favor and Protection.
Speaking of which, is there anyone that doesn't use that ring? I've been too paranoid to put it on because I don't want to end up finding something better and breaking it for future use, but it seems like most builds that you look at online use it. It seems like it's always either that, havels, or dwgr which will probably go away now that it needs under 25% equip load.

Sullichin

Is this something that is recommended to do as a newbie? I have seen him sitting there and now I kind want to kill him for that ring lol

It's a very good ring. You can't take it off but it's a 20% boost to VIT and END, and the only way to go past 160 stamina. Some people don't recommend you get it early the first time through because you will miss out events that happen later if you keep him alive. I recommend it to new players because it's helpful in almost any type of build.

mxgt

Banned
Just beat Kalameet on NG+ with Calamity Ring equipped and it's probably been the most intense fight I've had so far, I was on edge the entire time, was practically shaking as he came close to death. So unbelievably fun.

Attempt before I killed him I had him to barely any health and he swiped and 1 shot killed me when I had just rolled and had no stamina, I got super pissed and proceeded to beat him next try.

I recorded it for funsies so if anyone's interested I'll link a video when it's done.

Anteater

Is this something that is recommended to do as a newbie? I have seen him sitting there and now I kind want to kill him for that ring lol

Depend on what rings and equipments you use, the ring breaks if you unequip it, and you could get it later along with more loot, so it's just the matter of whether you think that ring will help at the beginning.

So if you kill him now, you get the ring early, if you kill him later you get the ring and some extra loot.

Well, things have been going pretty well! Granted, I probably over-leveled (I am at a level 145 and probably only going to stop at 151ish), but I have almost all the stats I want at a good level.

I was able to beat the main Oolacile boss no issue, but where I am having issue this time is the dragon. Not for strategy or whatever, but with technical issues:

I got him down to about halfway of health got his tail, but, as I back up to avoid a fire attack, CRASH! Screen goes blank, and my controller vibrates!

I figure the game is running, as the controller wouldn't be vibrating otherwise, but alt-tabbing or ctrl-alt-del does nothing, forcing me to restart. When I do restart I sometimes get a blue screen error...=/

What would cause this? I have been checking my temperatures since getting this game, and max temps with the GPU seem to be around 56C and CPU at 46C. I am thinking it is a software issue, but for some reason I cannot install RadeonPro to handle the graphic request without crashing.

I am thinking, worst case scenario, to remove Catalyst, and roll-back to an old version, but am unsure of this. Any help as always is appreciated, and thanks again.

Clevinger

So this rings he leaves behind, is it one use only? it says in the Wiki that it breaks after using it once?

So that means that once I put it in my inventory, I better not switch it to anything else?

The ring works for as long as you have it on. It only breaks if you take it off. So you could use it for the rest of the game if you wanted, you can just never take it off that slot or else it will break.

Mupod

So this rings he leaves behind, is it one use only? it says in the Wiki that it breaks after using it once?

So that means that once I put it in my inventory, I better not switch it to anything else?

Yeah, you just put it on and never take it off. Which is fine because it's the best ring ever unless you are something like a low end/vit caster...even then it's decent.

So, got invaded for the first time on PC in one of the worst places (the Depths, which remind me of the god-awful swamp in Demon's Souls), without knowing the surrounding area, having just fallen through a hole. Somehow I managed to kill the invader with a small sliver of life left, and he left a nice spike shield for me. I just wonder if the Souls community has been filled with pricks, I bowed as soon as I saw him spawning as back in Demons we always bowed, but the fucker just lunged at me.

In any case, tips for the Gaping Dragon? I fought it once having summoned another player, but the guy was just urrrgh and I had ran out of Estus Flasks...

Quikies83

I've never tried this (why would you want to, i know) -- but if you hit one of the Blacksmiths (I'm thinking Gough), will they attack you?

Sullichin

So, got invaded for the first time on PC in one of the worst places (the Depths, which remind me of the god-awful swamp in Demon's Souls), without knowing the surrounding area, having just fallen through a hole. Somehow I managed to kill the invader with a small sliver of life left, and he left a nice spike shield for me. I just wonder if the Souls community has been filled with pricks, I bowed as soon as I saw him spawning as back in Demons we always bowed, but the fucker just lunged at me.

In any case, tips for the Gaping Dragon? I fought it once having summoned another player, but the guy was just urrrgh and I had ran out of Estus Flasks...

Lol, that invader was an NPC.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Just beat Kalameet on NG+ with Calamity Ring equipped and it's probably been the most intense fight I've had so far, I was on edge the entire time, was practically shaking as he came close to death. So unbelievably fun.

Attempt before I killed him I had him to barely any health and he swiped and 1 shot killed me when I had just rolled and had no stamina, I got super pissed and proceeded to beat him next try.

I recorded it for funsies so if anyone's interested I'll link a video when it's done.

I'm going to try this as soon as I can, sounds fun, probably on NG++ though! I'll be probably recording all of my boss fights and mini-boss fights here soon too.

Also, got my dex character up to Crystal Caves last night and proceeded to give Seath a country ass whooping. Cursebite Ring, Havel Ring, "Painted World Phantom" helm, and a Blood Shield on the back. And I simply preceded to whack his tail off with the Fury Sword two-handed and stick close to his tentacle as he swiveled around two-handing like a boss. He went down crying, no challenge here anymore.

Guess my next mission is a SL1 playthrough, but I'd like to record the whole thing.

Zzoram

I've never tried this (why would you want to, i know) -- but if you hit one of the Blacksmiths (I'm thinking Gough), will they attack you?

Any NPC will aggro you if you hit them 2 times. To get rid of the aggro, you have to pay the NPC in the gargoyle bell tower.

Shinjica

Just to add to this. If you are looking to build upon a particular core stat (str,dex,int,faith) then you want to focus a particular weapon that scales well to that stat to +15 (or enchanted/occult for int and faith builds).

If you just want to focus on other stats (like end and vit). Then invest in fire, chaos, or lightning. They remove stat scaling and give the weapon a powerful elemental effect.

Chaos is weaker than fire but grows stronger if you have humanity. Chaos' damage is peaked once you reach 10 humanity.

After you cut the tail of
seath the scaleless
you dont need anymore weapon who scale with Int.

Raxus

Pick a weapon you like. I posted the guidelines to what upgrade paths work with which builds a little further up. Most boss souls weapons are based on gimmicks and don't hold up for end game and PvP. I find I enjoyed the Queelag Blade a ton on my first run through but YMMV.

Top Bottom