• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Probably going to pick this up pretty soon, any suggestions on a good starting class? I keep hearing wizard, which I was leaning towards anyway, because wizard. Any input guys?

classes don't really matter outside of how easy you want the first 1/10th of the game to be with the ability to to cast some spells right off the bat without having to buy them later on and some equip variety. the stat differences are near negligible unless you absolutely want to min-n-max certain stats since you will customize your stats as you go along to what you like. seriously, the differences are sometimes 2-4 points apart that you would probably get anyways.

but yeah start magic/pyromancy for ez mode 1st stages. but ez mode is a relative term in DS. I.e. you have 1-2 magic that might save you against 2-3 fodder enemies and MIGHT just be a nuisance to early bosses.

Are heavy characters as useless in this game as they were Demon's? I reached a point in Demon's where I absolutely couldn't advance without rolling, and at the time the general consensus was that "tank" characters who absorbed damage through shields were undoubtedly inferior.

Is it the same case for Dark? Because if so I might have to retool my character.

Anilusion

Is there a way to give items to super low level (in comparison) players?

Invading has no upper level cap afaik, so the low level player could theoretically try to invade you, and when he succeeds, you drop the items you want to give him.

Booshka

Are heavy characters as useless in this game as they were Demon's? I reached a point in Demon's where I absolutely couldn't advance without rolling, and at the time the general consensus was that "tank" characters who absorbed damage through shields were undoubtedly inferior.

Is it the same case for Dark? Because if so I might have to retool my character.

No, heavy characters are more viable because you have Poise in this game, which lowers your chance of staggering from attacks. Armor can also be upgraded and provide significant defense, so wearing heavy armor isn't bad. Shields are also much better in Dark Souls. I still suggest playing a light character because it is more fun to roll around and be evasive, than just tank and turtle behind a shield, but if the slower style is more fun to you, it is definitely viable in Dark Souls, just not in PvP.

The Dark Wood Grain ring kinda breaks everything though, heavy characters can flip around and run at full speed so it doesn't really matter.

arit

Invading has no upper level cap afaik, so the low level player could theoretically try to invade you, and when he succeeds, you drop the items you want to give him.

Should be doable with the Red Sign Soapstone.

The Dark Wood Grain ring kinda breaks everything though, heavy characters can flip around and run at full speed so it doesn't really matter.

Not anymore since pdt, as it is useless with >25% equip burden.

Man, I was summoned 2 times to fight the Four Kings and both times they were NG+. To kill just one was a pain even with Beatrice.

Both times we failed.

I have to admit I lost it last night and almost broke a controller. I wish I had come to the new areas on a regular game. The new bosses are so frustrating, but defeating it just now and opening a new area is what makes this game great.

Booshka

Just found the Drake Sword after beating Sen's Fortress lol. I have14 STR so for now it's useless :p
You can 2 Hand it if you want. I wouldn't use it though, just upgrade a better weapon that is more versatile and will do much more damage than the Drake Sword in the long run.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Die Vagina Dragon. Killed me once, then it was easy as pie.

I'm afraid of BLightown... might as well lower the internal resolution

Grief.exe

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Die Vagina Dragon. Killed me once, then it was easy as pie.

I'm afraid of BLightown... might as well lower the internal resolution

It ran really well for me, I honestly didn't have any frame rate drops. I honestly thought it was a really fun, well put-together zone.

The only time I do is when I teleport to the Daughters of Chaos, then walk out to the swamp from that direction. I see dips for about 30 seconds, then it normalizes.

Gaping dragon is such a boring fight lol...also how to make the god damn camera better? The camera control sucks. At least MH had the claw lol.

But yeah I died to the camera wanting to move (since I was trying for tail which I never hit because the god damn camera would pan - it kinda like tunnel vision feel like I am sitting too close to a tv screen or something).

turn up the camera speed, turn OFF camera auto wall adjust. [it's called something like that, anyway]. And don't use lock on when you're trying to hit a tail.

Sullichin

just beat Artorias on my first try with reinforced club +15, no armor. That is seriously one of the best weapons in the game, besides its short range. But, you leap forward with the 2HR2 attack, often allowing you to start the attack animation at a safe distance. It can very easily stun Ornstein and Smough and PVP opponents that are using small or medium shields. I was doing 480 damage with that attack, counter attacks (hitting him while he's in an attack animation) hit for like 670 something. It was much faster fight than when I used a balder side sword. Now I'm helping other people fight him.

Killed an invader in sanctuary wood before the fight too. He cut me down to almost no health with a lightning katana, but that activated my red tearstone, and a 2HR2 attack followed by an R1 killed him.

Birthday coming up. I should get Dark Souls (PC) shouldn't I? I can not not get the game almost everyone on GAF swoons over. I foresee so much frustration and anger...and then pure bliss.

Ridley327

How do you do this?

The easiest way to do it is to deselect all of the speakers in your 5.1 setup. If your soundboard can handle it, it should do the trick and you'll get all the ambient sound that you're missing out on.

I didn't even know there was supposed to be rustling wind in the Darkroot Forest until I did that!

- J - D -

Destroys Gaping Dragon @ lvl23 with only 2 Estus flasks. Gets hit off of ledge at first encounter in Blight Town. Plunges to death. Tries to run back to blood stain, gets killed by large sewer rats because of recklessness. Lose 50,000 souls forever.

Yep, this game.

rizz

Neo Member
GAF I need advice.

Currently I'm at undead parish and my STR and DEX both stands at 17. I can invest more points in STR to use Zweihander more effectively. Or I could kill the merchant in undead burg to get my hands on his katana and invest in DEX. What should I do?

FtHTiny

Hrm... is there anything special I'm supposed to do to have people invade my world? No one ever seems to...

Be in human form, don´t run around in an area where you defeated the boss. Try to be in an popular invasion-area. Don´t be overleveld like hell or underleveld. Have an open nat. Make some covenants angry so the spirits of vengeance can come for you.

GAF I need advice.

Currently I'm at undead parish and my STR and DEX both stands at 17. I can invest more points in STR to use Zweihander more effectively. Or I could kill the merchant in undead burg to get my hands on his katana and invest in DEX. What should I do?

Depends. Do you like slower, stronger weapons? The Zweihander is a great weapon but it does have a bit of a learning curve due to its weight, especially in PvP. Learning to pivot slash effectively (which is performing an RB/R1 attack then turning your character 180 degrees to meet the unfortunate sap who just tried to roll behind you for a backstab) will be your friend, as will high poise so you can just power through hits.

Katanas on the other hand are much faster and rely hugely on the hit and run game. You want to be as fast as possible when using one so that you can move in and out and land your hits while avoiding theirs, all the while building up for that lovely Bleed effect to kick in and rock them something fierce.

So, your choice.

Shito

Destroys Gaping Dragon @ lvl23 with only 2 Estus flasks. Gets hit off of ledge at first encounter in Blight Town. Plunges to death. Tries to run back to blood stain, gets killed by large sewer rats because of recklessness. Lose 50,000 souls forever.

Yep, this game.
Your fault for wandering into Blight Town with that many souls on you.

Sarcasm

Why upon revisiting the asylum can that demon fart every 3 seconds? Doesn't matter I do like 50 damage to him. So its not like I can out dps the farts.

KarmaCow

Why upon revisiting the asylum can that demon fart every 3 seconds? Doesn't matter I do like 50 damage to him. So its not like I can out dps the farts.

Get behind him. He can get caught in a loop where the always uses either the AoE attack centered right in front of him or butt slam. Both are easy to avoid, just make sure to stay behind him so he doesn't start swiping. His other AoE attack is more annoying to dodge when he's facing you.

Top Bottom