• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Get behind him. He can get caught in a loop where the always uses either the AoE attack centered right in front of him or butt slam. Both are easy to avoid, just make sure to stay behind him so he doesn't start swiping. His other AoE attack is more annoying to dodge when he's facing you.

He deals magic damage, doesn't he?

There's a magic DEF ring you can purchase from the merchant in Sen's Fortress if you're having trouble.

This word doesn't exist in the Dark Souls world..
Every time you get overconfident and try to run through an area you've completed atleast 20 times, you end up dying a very stupid death at the hand of the easiest enemies.....

It's humiliating and humbling when you get chain-stunned by the weakest enemies in the game and die just because you think you have awesome armor and better stats and don't need to approach the situation carefully.

But it only takes one death for you to never, ever do that again.

Geez I just got smashed by
the four kings. Actually make that 5? I managed to kill three of them with beatrice distracting them. The thing is another king showed up and I had to fight two at the same time even though I killed 3 at that point and only needed one more. Is that supposed to happen?

The game is great on PC
Glad I double dipped

Hypron

He deals magic damage, doesn't he?

There's a magic DEF ring you can purchase from the merchant in Sen's Fortress if you're having trouble.

The easiest is still to get the crest shield from the knight that dies right at the beginning of the game. It's got a high magic resistance which should be enough to protect yourself from the magic attacks.

F!ReW!Re

Fuck, yes, THIS.

Infuriating.

Damn right!

It's humiliating and humbling when you get chain-stunned by the weakest enemies in the game and die just because you think you have awesome armor and better stats and don't need to approach the situation carefully.

But it only takes one death for you to never, ever do that again.

It happened to me yesterday; (I've already played the game on 360 up to Anor Londo, so I know what I'm doing to an extend ;-)
Started a deprived, worked my way from Firelink shrine to the bridge, leveled up a bit, got some weapons/armor..
All was fine, until I did the section with the Rino; I killed him with some arrows, fought against the skeleton's and then decided to run to the bonfire next above the blacksmith (bonfire before entering Sen's)....
I got killed by 2 hollow warriors on the way to the bonfire and had 2 humanity and something like 10k of souls on me (not that much in comparision to other people here, but enough to fuck up my day since I'm still level 10 or something).

Anyway I'm kinda pissed at that point I let myself get killed in such a stupid way and in a sort of retarted mental state I decided that I want my souls/humanity back asap so I will go for a speedy runthrough from undead burg up the ladder to the bridge and then on to my bloodstain....

First skeleton I encounter = Dead....

And ofcourse I realise this is totally my fault for thinking to lightly about the "simple enemies"

fionel

Just got a macbook air 11" over the weekend... this thing is lovely. Anyone tried running dark souls on it? does it run like shit?

Just got a macbook air 11" over the weekend... this thing is lovely. Anyone tried running dark souls on it? does it run like shit?

without having access to one to try it on right now I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Intel GPU is going to be your bottleneck.

Perkel

Banned
Started new game.
Killed Gaping Vagina. SL20

I'm at the gate to blightown. I go down two ledges. Near first mob (that gorilla with club) i got invaded. He is full of awesomeness standing there with his end game armor. I go up two ledges (before fog near gate) so he can't shot at me with magic or ranged weapons. He is still waiting.

I take my chips start to eat staring at him. He still doesn't move.

10 minutes later he start to move. Walking to me full of glory. So i shot him with arrow. 1 damage with absolutely no move on his lifebar. So he runs to me start to climbing second platform up. When he is near i jump off down two platforms. After he climb up second after i jumped he does the same.

:smiling:

When he is stagered by landing i kick him off the platform. He dies.

You defeated
+430k souls.

This game.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Geez I just got smashed by
the four kings. Actually make that 5? I managed to kill three of them with beatrice distracting them. The thing is another king showed up and I had to fight two at the same time even though I killed 3 at that point and only needed one more. Is that supposed to happen?

The game is great on PC
Glad I double dipped

Funny thing about that fight is that
they're not really the "Four Kings" so much as they're the "Indefinite Number of Infinitely Respawning Kings."

They just keep appearing endlessly. I actually fell into the same trap you did my first time fighting them. After killing three of them I figured I could take it easy and be methodical for the final one. King number five fatally disabused me of that notion.

If you look carefully you can also notice that their health bars don't exactly sync up with the main life bar displayed at the bottom of the screen. If you don't do so much damage per attack that you totally overwhelm their HP, you'll notice that the fourth king still has some HP left when the main boss gauge is depleted and the cutscene triggers.

So really they're called the Four Kings but there's an infinite number of them and they actually only have the combined HP of Three and Seven Eighths Kings.

Just utter absurdity from stem to stern, that fight.

So really they're called the Four Kings but there's an infinite number of them and they actually only have the combined HP of Three and Seven Eighths Kings.

They should be renamed the At Most Four At One Time Kings.

derFeef

So at Undead Burg, before you walk into the tower that leads to the first demon boss and you pass by the first Black Knight - there is a drop/walkway below the stairs that go up - is that a thing worth going for? I did not manage to successfully drop there yet.

equil

Anyone want to help me fight
Black Dragon Kalameet
? I'm level 70 and this is the first boss to give me problems. Everyone that i've summoned only cares about cutting off his tail...

Zzoram

Started new game.

I'm at the gate to blightown. I go down two ledges. Near first mob (that gorilla with club) i got invaded. He is full of awesomeness standing there with his end game armor. I go up two ledges (before fog near gate) so he can't shot at me with magic or ranged weapons. He is still waiting.

10 minutes later he start to move. Walking to me full of glory. So i shot him with arrow. 1 damage with absolutely no move on his lifebar. So he runs to me start to climbing second platform up. When he is near i jump off down two platforms. After he climb up second after i jumped he does the same.

You defeated
+430k souls.

This game.

Moments like this are why this is my favourite game of the generation

Zzoram

So at Undead Burg, before you walk into the tower that leads to the first demon boss and you pass by the first Black Knight - there is a drop/walkway below the stairs that go up - is that a thing worth going for? I did not manage to successfully drop there yet.

The only drop anywhere in that area IIRC is to the spot right in front of that Black Knight, which entices you to drop there because there is an item you can clearly see. It's better to just fight the BK than drop in front of him and be trapped. The item is a defensive ring.

Jintor

Started new game.

You defeated
+430k souls.

This game.

Oh goddamn

:applause:

It just looks like a drop. It's fake geometry :T

F!ReW!Re

I dropped down there yesterday, but there's nothing there???
Just a ledge to land on and you walk up the stairs again (before getting in aggro range of the black knight)

derFeef

The only drop anywhere in that area IIRC is to the spot right in front of that Black Knight, which entices you to drop there because there is an item you can clearly see. It's better to just fight the BK than drop in front of him and be trapped. The item is a defensive ring.
Hmm I think I am talking about a different spot, I will make a screenie when I am home again.

Funny thing about that fight is that
they're not really the "Four Kings" so much as they're the "Indefinite Number of Infinitely Respawning Kings."

They just keep appearing endlessly. I actually fell into the same trap you did my first time fighting them. After killing three of them I figured I could take it easy and be methodical for the final one. King number five fatally disabused me of that notion.

If you look carefully you can also notice that their health bars don't exactly sync up with the main life bar displayed at the bottom of the screen. If you don't do so much damage per attack that you totally overwhelm their HP, you'll notice that the fourth king still has some HP left when the main boss gauge is depleted and the cutscene triggers.

Oh I see. I thought it was some kind of hiccup with the game. It took me a few tries but I just beat it right now :)
why doesnt anyone leave signs in that area? Its kinda scary rolling solo haha

Hmm I think I am talking about a different spot, I will make a screenie when I am home again.

If it's the stairway that the
large flaming barrel gets tossed down
, then no there's nothing down there. It definitely looks like a spot you should jump down to find an item in, though, but as I found out the first time I played...it's definitely not. There's nothing down there but death and misery.

wutwutwut

I just can't kill the Gaping Dragon. Both Solaire and Lautrec do minimal damage and some other guy I summoned died when the tail one-shot-killed him. Duh.
That dragon has over 4000 HP. You need to be really patient with him. Here's how I did it:
wait for the dragon to plop his face down on the ground. Then 2-hand RB his nose for as long as you safely can -- roll away once he lifts his nose. After that he'll charge in the direction he plopped. This is your chance to 2-hand RB his legs or tail. Do not try to attack him at any other time -- be patient. I could take off around 400 HP on his nose and another 200 on his feet per turn, so it took around 7-8 turns total.

Mendrox

I just can't kill the Gaping Dragon. Both Solaire and Lautrec do minimal damage and some other guy I summoned died when the tail one-shot-killed him. Duh.

I was the same last year, it's quiet easy! Just lure him around. Get away from him so that his tail doesn't get you and after his vagina attack where he tries to eat you, he will rush forward. If you are a bit away he will do this attack "everytime"! So when you see this animation, just run to him (he won't get you because you were too far away) attack 3-4 times (4 times is the max time) and just walk past him on the right or left side (he will immediatly rush forward)

--> Repeat and win without using a flask lol

Yeah, I managed to chop off its tail and have the Dragon King sword/axe now. I am using a Halberd +4 which does some more damage when using the lightning resin, I will try equipping a lighter armour as my current knight setup is a bit too heavy.

Perkel

Banned
Oh goddamn

:applause:

Thanks.

In Dark Souls levels and equipment doesn't mean a shit if you can't utilize them.
That is why if i am low level i take all of my equipment when i see they are wearing OP gear. I outrun them to place when gear doesn't matter.

I fear more rogues than tanks.

KarmaCow

I got a helmet and a shield. Looks like I did more damage to the head then, even if I focused on their rear?

Usually enemies with a tail will drop an item once you cut it off. You don't even need to kill it, just cut off the tail. It's an additional item to reward going out of the way to cut it off.

derFeef

Usually enemies with a tail will drop an item once you cut it off. You don't even need to kill it, just cut off the tail. It's an additional item to reward going out of the way to cut it off.

The more you know, thanks. This game depth's just keep getting deeper.

Perkel

Banned

I thought it only works on gargs and that dragon on bridge ?

KarmaCow

I thought it only works on gargs and that dragon on bridge ?

So far every big enemy I've found that has a tail attack will give you a weapon for cutting it off. I know the
demon outside the blacksmith in Undead Parish does and it's not a boss
. The ones that don't seem to be exceptions rather than the norm.

I'm gonna have to work on playing this again for Xbox now with an active discussion on the PC version (which I'd like to pick up eventually anyway.) Blighttown was as far as I had gone last I played.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
F me.

First rule of Dark Souls is don't be greedy.
Second rule of Dark Souls is don't be fucking greedy if you see a dead corpse with an item in a crevice in a mountain with a dragon guarding the entrance don't run in and get your bonfire-less ass killed Corky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom