• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I was at the top of Sen's Fortress after doing the new content and suddenly
Gwyndolin's
empty life bar appeared at the bottom of the screen. I literally said "What the fuck" out loud and thought for a second it might be some new content that I just hadn't read about, but nope, just a weird-ass glitch.

Jintor

Some absolute piece of shit invaded me just as I summoned Solare and was about to run into the boss arena. Is there any way to check who just did that and send them abusive messages? :|

I mean seriously. Fuck that guy. It's a long walk to a bonfire from there.

jns

He sells quite some humanity.
And he is a chill dude, don´t hurt him!
Don't care about humanity. I think I'll spend some time with my sign down looking to help coop, then me and Mr Fancy Hat are going to have a pointed conversation ...

Soulhouf

Funny thing about that fight is that
they're not really the "Four Kings" so much as they're the "Indefinite Number of Infinitely Respawning Kings."

They just keep appearing endlessly. I actually fell into the same trap you did my first time fighting them. After killing three of them I figured I could take it easy and be methodical for the final one. King number five fatally disabused me of that notion.

If you look carefully you can also notice that their health bars don't exactly sync up with the main life bar displayed at the bottom of the screen. If you don't do so much damage per attack that you totally overwhelm their HP, you'll notice that the fourth king still has some HP left when the main boss gauge is depleted and the cutscene triggers.

So really they're called the Four Kings but there's an infinite number of them and they actually only have the combined HP of Three and Seven Eighths Kings.

Just utter absurdity from stem to stern, that fight.

They are never more than 4 at the same time.
My theory is that they are actually 4 but they keep reviving from the Abyss provided they still have energy (their combined HP) to do so. The only thing is they don't seem to be able to revive at the same time but they need to wait a couple of seconds each time.

I actually fought 7 of them in my current run but they always were 4 at the same time.

Sarcasm

Some absolute piece of shit invaded me just as I summoned Solare and was about to run into the boss arena. Is there any way to check who just did that and send them abusive messages? :|

I mean seriously. Fuck that guy. It's a long walk to a bonfire from there.

Look in the recent player list in gfwl by hitting home and such.

It seems to me that the best way to do some PVP is to join the Cat Covenant, I have been summoned around 10 times and only 1 failed and 1 was a hacker. So an 8/10 seems to be pretty good and you can just play normally while waiting for the cat to summon you.

FtHTiny

so what are good places to invade people as an darkmoon member (SL45)?

all im getting is "invading failed" :/

Anor Londo, The dlc area before and after the second bonfire, kiln. But 45 isn´t a popular pvp region so it should be hard to constantly find people to invade.
And get used to invading failed, it´s bad and it seems they won´t fix it.

FtHTiny

What are the rules with summoning/being summoned?

Is there a soul level range requirement? etc?

You can only be summoned from players in a soullevel-range of 10% from your own.
And your connections must love eachother. You have to be alive to see summon signs.

F me.

First rule of Dark Souls is don't be greedy.
Second rule of Dark Souls is don't be fucking greedy if you see a dead corpse with an item in a crevice in a mountain with a dragon guarding the entrance don't run in and get your bonfire-less ass killed Corky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole thing is fucking hilarious, but 5:18 is relevant to your interests.

DARK SOULS RAGE HIGHLIGHTS

Spoilers perhaps for some.

BearChair

worst part of the game:

iiTwsA2pJGhRl.png

Have fun with the archers in Anor Londo.

Orayn

You can only be summoned from players in a soullevel-range of 10% from your own.
And your connections must love eachother. You have to be alive to see summon signs.

As of 1.05, it's 10 levels plus 15% of your current level, above or below.

Can someone tell me what the rewards/loses are depending if you win/lose a PvP bout???

Do you lose all the souls that you carry, and the winner receives them? or how does it work?

Gvaz

Banned
If you're an invader, you lose nothing by dying, they gain however many souls it takes for you to level or something.

If you're invaded, you die like normal to any other creature.

so I wanted to kill the undead merchant right at the start of the game for his cool katana.

there is no in-game downside if I have the master key right? (apart from momentarily feeling bad lol)

so I wanted to kill the undead merchant right at the start of the game for his cool katana.

there is no in-game downside if I have the master key right? (apart from momentarily feeling bad lol)

you
should buy the Residence Key and the Repair Box from him, since the Master Key doesnt open a its door, at least it was my case.

Tilian

Banned

And don't forget the
bottomless box
, and stock up on green herbs from him too since they're hard to come by until later in the game.

rizz

Neo Member
Depends. Do you like slower, stronger weapons? The Zweihander is a great weapon but it does have a bit of a learning curve due to its weight, especially in PvP. Learning to pivot slash effectively (which is performing an RB/R1 attack then turning your character 180 degrees to meet the unfortunate sap who just tried to roll behind you for a backstab) will be your friend, as will high poise so you can just power through hits.

Katanas on the other hand are much faster and rely hugely on the hit and run game. You want to be as fast as possible when using one so that you can move in and out and land your hits while avoiding theirs, all the while building up for that lovely Bleed effect to kick in and rock them something fierce.

So, your choice.

Okay, thanks. I reckon I need to spend some more time experimenting before I settle into one particular build.

Jintor

What SL are you?

I was about 50 or so at the time.

Now I'm
warping all over the damn place, hells yeah. Makes everything feel so small :< Glad they saved quick travel for late game, it removes a lot of the feeling of the game.

Archers were easy!

The way you can queue attacks is awesome, I just started to get the hang of it, and in some ways it feels like a fighting game. I find myself wishing that you could string huge combos hahaha.

wutwutwut

The way you can queue attacks is awesome, I just started to get the hang of it, and in some ways it feels like a fighting game. I find myself wishing that you could string huge combos hahaha.
The game borrows a ton from fighting games. Invincibility frames, countering, wakeup, blocking vs parrying, super armour etc.

Boy, just saying "fuck it" and going fully strength/poise based makes everything really easy...
At least in the first run. New Game+ is swiftly kicking my arse.

The Four Kings fight was the easiest it's ever been, just sprint up and smash the shit out of them. I was able to kill all of them one at a time well before the other would spawn in.

IoCaster

So much trial and error gameplay in Sen's Fortress. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I found that new bonfire. That's the kind of level that'll make me think twice about doing a NG+ run. I don't mind getting killed, but getting teleported back to the previous bonfire and having to redo those swinging blades after every misstep was painful. I summoned Iron Tarkus for the boss and between the two of us we murdered that Golem. Then I nearly shit myself when those flying gremlins or whatever they were swooped down on me. I didn't know what the hell was going on. In any case, it's done and now I've got this awesome looking city to explore. This game is amazing.

The game borrows a ton from fighting games. Invincibility frames, countering, wakeup, blocking vs parrying, super armour etc.

Now that im used to Backstabbing, the game is 100% more enjoyable but parrying is so high risk/reward, still havent been able to do it other than the tutorial area.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok couple quick questions.

What is the spell that some people use where there are couple floating blueish/black orbs above their head, and then they unleash a huge ball of blueish/black energy?

Some guy invaded me in Anor Lando last night, I almost killed him a couple times but he would run and stand over Solaire next to the bonfire, and then I couldn't attack cause I didnt want to hit Solaire. Then he would heal up, total cheeseball. So I backed way out by the staircase to draw him too far from Solaire, but I aggro'd the Silver Knight and then that guy ran in and one shotted me with that spell while I was fighting the knight.

How do you deal with that spell? Can a high enough magic defense shield block it? Just dodge it? I've seen it twice now and it wrecked me both times.

ALSO. I was fighting another dude, we are strafing each other and he is clearly in front of me...but then instantly he is behind me backstabbing me. Is this some special move or cheat, or was it just bad luck with lag or something?

ALSO ALSO... I've been rocking the Claymore since I've got it. Love it, its at +10 right now. But I got a black knight sword to drop which seems to have higher damage potential so I was really pumped cause it looks sweet too. BUT... I was really disappointed with the slow thrust. I use the claymore's thrust a lot, but its quick. Black knight sword has this ridiculously slow wind up. Is the black knight sword worth upgrading and using over the claymore, and I should just adjust to the thrust?

ALSO ALSO ALSO... Artorias Greatshield is beast. My stamina barely moves from blocking attacks now, even big ones. Looks sick too.

Also, can anyone here do parrying consistently? Is there a video in Youtube of someone using it heavily.

Just wondering if there is a way to master it.

FtHTiny

There's a save editor now...

H2bMS.png

you must be on very strange sites on the web to find your last 2 links. :c

Also, can anyone here do parrying consistently? Is there a video in Youtube of someone using it heavily.

Just wondering if there is a way to master it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0
Is a pretty good video for parries. On the more common types i can parry consistent (Undead burg and black/silver knights) all others i can´t do it really regular.

Eusis

Is there any reason too keep the vendor in the dlc alive?
He'll
invade early in Oolacile township
. If that already happened for you or you don't care (maybe it'd still happen?), then feel free to off him. Humanity was brought up, but the end of the DLC has possibly the best grinding spot for humanity in the whole game so who cares?

Damnit Jim I'm a doctor not a farmer!

Goodbye farming for chunks!!

Chinese sites!

So tempted to use that save editor, specially since finding Titanite chunk and Shards is so hard for me at my level.

But im guessing its for a reason, would I breaking the game's balance if I upgrade my claymore to +15 at Soul level 32?, im currently visiting blighttown for the first time and it takes me around 6 swings to kill the gorillas and 3 to kill the blighttown zombies with a Claymore +5.

Top Bottom