• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Igo

Shouldl I upgrade my Murakumo to +15 or fire +10 with str 28 dex 40? My Uchigatana and Estoc are both +14 and I think I do want something a little different, though not at the expense of good damage. The Wiki says fire +10 does a little over 600 damage. Will I need to use resin on it to do that much at +15?

I honestly have no idea why there's so many bonfire warps in Anor Londo. Once you open the main door, you can get to the other two in about 2 minutes, with only a couple of Giant Knights in your way.

I think it has more to do with the Covenants than ease of warping. Almost all the original bonfire warp locations were Covenants and it just so happened two of them were there in Anor Londo. In fact, the only covenant that doesn't have a warp is the Forest Covenant I'm fairly certain, if you count Firelink as Way of the White because of Petrus.

The new warp points actually took into account ease of traveling, I guess.

Gvaz

Banned
idk what you mean by this. I don't care if you cheat your way through the game if thats how you want to play. I understand that stuff like farming chunks can simply save tedium (although the drop rates are quite high now). But trainers and save editors will mean more cheaters playing online.

My current character gleefully murders every NPC with a reinforced club.
There is already trainers, you can already cheat.

Save editor just makes it a little easier to get shit like armors or whatever that you normally can't get via a trainer (but if you're smart enough you can still get)

I don't care.

PrimeRib_

5 trophies left on PS3 version, the power of this thread compels me to farm the 2 blue slabs I need to complete Magic and Enchanted weapons. Logging in now ...

arit

Does the Editor at least limit the editing to valid stats or are also 99 SL 1 edits possible?

First one would be really sweet to fast prototype pvp builds.

Raide

Does the Editor at least limit the editing to valid stats or are also 99 SL 1 edits possible?

Sensibly FROM should have PvP and make players use set builds/gear setups or give them a practice zones to tweak your class to see what builds can be like.... the issue with the latter is that is stops people playing around with builds while playing the game.

Gvaz

Banned

The editor has limits (99 on items like magic/resources, 999 on ammo) but there are no limits on soul levels, so yes you literally can have 99 stats but a level 1 soul level.

Now, you can't edit anything with the editor just yet because there are hashtags that need to remain with the save file that keeps you from editing them (being worked on) but it is possible.

ibhygqgtxZJCdA.jpg

Raxus

I think it has more to do with the Covenants than ease of warping. Almost all the original bonfire warp locations were Covenants and it just so happened two of them were there in Anor Londo. In fact, the only covenant that doesn't have a warp is the Forest Covenant I'm fairly certain, if you count Firelink as Way of the White because of Petrus.

The new warp points actually took into account ease of traveling, I guess.

The thing is there WAS a covenant near Giant's Tomb but they didn't place a bonfire near it and there was no warp. Undead Parish (finally) getting a warp was just an oversight,

Dear Channeler's Trident,
WHY WON'T YOU FUCKING DROP GGAONGGANSUNCAURNWFIS$(!@(%(!192(!$U!1!!!!

Gvaz

Banned
I assume so but again, it doesn't work right now.

Empty save slots have more hashtags than filled ones for whatever reason. (1 vs 3)

Gvaz

Banned
If any of you say "THIS WOULD BE SOLVED WITH PUNKBUSTER"

I swear to god I'm gonna stick my axe through your stupid head.

I don't understand why a simple mathematical check against Soul Level and current stat levels when connecting to a host wouldn't go a long way to solve the problem. I had the same question when the game launched on consoles. They could still cheat to get gear but it should be easy enough for the host to prevent a client with impossible stats for their SL to connect.

I don't understand why a simple mathematical check against Soul Level and current stat levels when connecting to a host wouldn't go a long way to solve the problem. I had the same question when the game launched on consoles. They could still cheat to get gear but it should be easy enough for the host to prevent a client with impossible stats for SL to connect.

Durante should implement an anti-cheat feature in his mod so people are stuck with shitty DS when they decide to cheat online. :p

Ridley327

On the plus side,
New Londo Ruins after the drainage is a bit less nerve-wracking than the topside was. Unless I'm missing something, though, there's no bonfire in the area, which means you have to rely on the bonfire just before the shortcut to Valley of the Drakes in Darkroot Basin.

Quikies83

On the plus side,
New Londo Ruins after the drainage is a bit less nerve-wracking than the topside was. Unless I'm missing something, though, there's no bonfire in the area, which means you have to rely on the bonfire just before the shortcut to Valley of the Drakes in Darkroot Basin.

Most would use the Firelink bonfire

Dascu

On the plus side,

Or Firelink.

Edit: Beaten by a damned poltergeist.

Raxus

I think I am missing a shortcut, no "easy" way going from Undead Burh to closer to the church in Undead Parish?

There is an elevator in the church that leads to firelink shrine and a bonfire at the parish near the side entrance above the blacksmith.

Oops these shortcuts are for WHEN you make it to the church.

Orayn

I think I am missing a shortcut, no "easy" way going from Undead Burh to closer to the church in Undead Parish?

You can skip a small section of tunnels and the underside of the bridge, but it involves doing something ballsy. What part of the burg is giving you trouble?

And yeah, there's the thing Raxus mentioned but it has to be unlocked from the church.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The first bonfire in Undead Burgh has a shortcut you eventually can open up that allows you to climb a ladder that leads up underneath the Fire Drake bridge.

EDIT: You can also bull rush the Drake and run underneath it to get a quick shortcut to the church which is what I think Orayn mentioned.

The method I use for rushing past the Fire Drake to reach the chapel rather than going under the bridge:

Climb out of the underbridge area and shoot an arrow at the drake so that it swoops down, as it is swooping down run past it's legs as fast as you can. 50% of the time he might just do a flame charge which will mean instant death but the rest of the time if you run fast you should be able to just barely make it safely into the chapel to reach the sunlight alter, a cool extra bonfire and watch the drake fly off into the sunset.

wutwutwut

Yup, using GSM with Skydrive before & after every game.
Well, Sync and Link (i.e. symlinking) means your saves get stored inside the Dropbox folder. What that also means is that you can use Dropbox's previous versions thing to save scum since the game saves every couple of minutes. (Not that I'd recommend that!)

derFeef

Yeah sorry, I finished the church already but it seems like a long way, maybe I am just impatient today.
Try running past the dragon.

Argh! Im scared.

Also opened up the door at where the Dragon is, maybe there?

Well, Sync and Link (i.e. symlinking) means your saves get stored inside the Dropbox folder. What that also means is that you can use Dropbox's previous versions thing to save scum since the game saves every couple of minutes. (Not that I'd recommend that!)

I prefer having the saves there with time and date end everything, not a big deal :)

Finalow

That means ghosts, though, and I really don't have the energy anymore to spend any time with them. I was lucky I survived the dozen that decided to swarm me all at once when I got to the church.
mh no, from the firelink or valley it's the same path when you reach the ruins. you find 3 ghosts that you can outrun without a problem then you fall down and you're almost at
the 4 kings.
after you drain the water londo ruins are easy peasy, the problem is just the boss. (and actually they ain't that hard, at least not in the first run)

Sigh... the PVP in this game has so much potential too.

I was invaded this evening, and it was awesome. No cheater or anything. The guy invaded, watched me finish the fight with a skeleton I was fighting and then he bowed gracefully before we started smashing each other's face in. I died though, but it was a great fight.

I love this game.

In other news:

To let off some steam from the Ornstein & Smough fight I went to the catacombs to kill Pinwheel. This has got to be the easiest boss fight in the game, right? A question: is there a shortcut from Pinwheel's room back to firelink shrine or something? Don't tell me I have to backtrack :(

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Pinwheel is definitely considered a cheese boss. In the grand scheme of things I think they mean for you to kill him a lot earlier in the game than most people attempt to but they don't do a good enough job in pushing you that way quest wise and the graveyard skeletons repel a lot of new players from further exploring.
is there a shortcut from Pinwheel's room back to firelink shrine or something? Don't tell me I have to backtrack :(
Homeword bone or backtrack I'm afraid. Be grateful you aren't one of those sad fools who got all the way through Tomb of the Giants to almost reach Nito's chamber before having to turn back and trek ALL THE WAY BACK OUT.

Pinwheel is definitely considered a cheese boss. In the grand scheme of things I think they mean for you to kill him a lot earlier in the game than most people attempt to but they don't do a good enough job in pushing you that way quest wise and the graveyard skeletons repel a lot of new players from further exploring.Homeword bone or backtrack I'm afraid. Be grateful you aren't one of those sad fools who got all the way through Tomb of the Giants to almost reach Nito's chamber before having to turn back and trek ALL THE WAY BACK OUT.

Lol. This was me on the PS3 and I did it in the dark as well! Almost quit completely when I realized I had to walk back out of that whole. Such a great game.

Grief.exe

I feel like pinwheel sits in somewhere after you ring the bells or after Sen's.

Just the way the catacombs and pinwheel is tuned you can get through there really easily and give you the rite of kindling which will help you through the mid game.

Make it even easier if you get the divine ember and put a couple upgrades there.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Pinwheel is definitely considered a cheese boss. In the grand scheme of things I think they mean for you to kill him a lot earlier in the game than most people attempt to but they don't do a good enough job in pushing you that way quest wise and the graveyard skeletons repel a lot of new players from further exploring.Homeword bone or backtrack I'm afraid. Be grateful you aren't one of those sad fools who got all the way through Tomb of the Giants to almost reach Nito's chamber before having to turn back and trek ALL THE WAY BACK OUT.

Oh my god, if that was me I would probably just restart the game. Or on a lesser game I'd just stop playing.

Orayn

I feel like pinwheel sits in somewhere after you ring the bells or after Sen's.

Just the way the catacombs and pinwheel is tuned you can get through there really easily and give you the rite of kindling which will help you through the mid game.

Make it even easier if you get the divine ember and put a couple upgrades there.

Honestly, Catacombs would be a really cool early game alternate route if the skeletons didn't reassemble and it connected to, say, lower Blighttown after Pinwheel in addition to Tomb of the Giants.

Ridley327

Ah now I know where I think I missed something. This door here - when/where can I open it?
It's the hallway to Undead Burg.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/Screenshots/Dark Souls/00ba4964.jpg

That door is a shortcut that you can open up once you defeat the Capra Demon in the lower area of the Burg.

Although, I do suppose that you don't actually have to wait to open that shortcut up, but there's little reason to poke around in that area until he's taken care of.

Top Bottom