• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

TheFatOne

That door is a shortcut that you can open up once you defeat the Capra Demon in the lower area of the Burg.

Although, I do suppose that you don't actually have to wait to open that shortcut up, but there's little reason to poke around in that area until he's taken care of.

You don't need to beat the Capra demon to open it.

d0c_zaius

Finished my playthrough last night. 4 days of 12+ hours each. So amazing.

-love the new content and bosses
-love Durante and Durante edition
-love seeing everything clearly finally. texture work and art direction are top notch.

The Hermit

Bwhahahaah! You guys weren't kidding when you said that pyromancer+drake sword= easy mode.

I beated Capra Demon on my first try, after dying like 10 times with my other character.

Quikies83

I only have one boss left (well before the finale) -- Fucking 4 Kings. Any good casters out there around 64 wanna help me take these mother fuckers down?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Just don't kill the NPC. I don't understand you vicious murderers. NPCs are for talking and shopping.

Killing him is the only way to get the key to the seal before placing getting the lordvessel. Plus sniping him from a safe distance away makes low level runs like 100x easier.

Seriously, fuck Ornstein & Smough. I finally had two humanities to burn so I could summon people. We killed Ornstein, and then at half of Smough's health the guy I summoned died + Solaire died. Then after some hit & run I died.

Twice.

Now I don't have any humanity left. Fuuuuuuuuuu

Grief.exe

Seriously, fuck Ornstein & Smough. I finally had two humanities to burn so I could summon people. We killed Ornstein, and then at half of Smough's health the guy I summoned died + Solaire died. Then after some hit & run I died.

Twice.

Really? Smough dying first makes the fight not too bad.

With 3 people it should be a cakewalk. Remember to pop your estus flasks to heal your phantoms.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Honestly, Catacombs would be a really cool early game alternate route if the skeletons didn't reassemble and it connected to, say, lower Blighttown after Pinwheel in addition to Tomb of the Giants.
Yeah I was thinking maybe a secret rock tunnel into the side of the Great Hallow or Ash Lake would be pretty neat.

Easy mode method of getting past the
Hellkite Dragon near Sunbro:

1. Walk to the stairs then go down them. Feel free to go kick the ladder shortcut at this time.
2. Go back up the stairs and immediately run to the little open space in between the top of the stairs and the right wall, hugging the edge. Dragon will shoot fire and kill everything except you, it whiffs you completely.
3. Wait there for roughly 30 seconds. Dragon will eventually jump down from the wall.
4. When he does, run past his feet all the way to the Sunbro altar. Wait for him to fly away.

Easy, and you take no damage.

arit

Oh my god I hate the crystal cave!!

It's not that scary after knowing where the bridges are. Just do not even try to walk back after the red golem encounter, HBoning back and running to through the cave is safer and should even be faster than figuring out what crazy slopes they built there.

Orayn

1. Walk to the stairs then go down them. Feel free to go kick the ladder shortcut at this time.
2. Go back up the stairs and immediately run to the little open space in between the top of the stairs and the right wall, hugging the edge. Dragon will shoot fire and kill everything except you, it whiffs you completely.
3. Wait there for roughly 30 seconds. Dragon will eventually jump down from the wall.
4. When he does, run past his feet all the way to the Sunbro altar. Wait for him to fly away.

You can also trigger #3 by
hitting him in the torso/neck/head with an arrow. The arrow does actually need to do damage, so it's not possible without having the proper stats for your bow.

just finished catacombs, oddly enough. finally found a path from the secret bonfire to the room full of pinwheel skeletons which put me on a ledge above them so I could pick them off with greater soul arrows. after that I spent a little more time exploring sen's fortress and leveled a couple of times, but I was basically procrastinating because the archers in anor londo scare me too much.

still not having much luck with pvp. last night I played for about 2 hours and activated my blue eye orb every time I got an "invasion failed/cancelled" message and never managed to find a world off the guilty to join. in my case it's probably location, being a large english-speaking country on the doorstep of asia limits the pool of available players somewhat.

Twice.

Not that you want to start over, but I went sorcery my last play through and all the bosses were pretty cake. I started as Pyro and used the Drake Sword early on while I dumped points into intelligence. Hell NG+ was easy except Artorias.
^^^_Homing crystalmass makes the archers easy. Cast it run up the ramp and stop right before the top. Dodge the last arrow from the right hand archer and sprint at him. If the spell doesn't kill him a final quick stab should. If the left hand archer gives you trouble kill him first.

Truant

Twice.

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me, only I was summoning sunbro.

2AdEPT

Pinwheel is definitely considered a cheese boss. In the grand scheme of things I think they mean for you to kill him a lot earlier in the game than most people attempt to but they don't do a good enough job in pushing you that way quest wise and the graveyard skeletons repel a lot of new players from further exploring.Homeword bone or backtrack I'm afraid. Be grateful you aren't one of those sad fools who got all the way through Tomb of the Giants to almost reach Nito's chamber before having to turn back and trek ALL THE WAY BACK OUT.
Yup...did that by mistake with my no upgrades SL1 character...never climbed out before and only had the skull lantern late...plus I aggroed patches...like dogs and black knight aren't enough! THere is no more character building an experience in the game though....do it with clean mind and spirit...very rewarding.

Unless your game bugs and he doesn't drop it like mine did :(

yep. mine alos...and this was before I started using game save manager....that experience prompted its use for sure. Its a conformed bug on the darksouls wiki as enough people have had it happen....doesn't happen to everyone though.

NOt saying your way is poor or anything...but I got more staisfaction out of killing him. When he lands...two hits of
WashingPole +15 with darkmoon balde
finished him off damn fast as well. Hit his face.

Zeliard

Crystal Cave and Tomb of the Giants are both fuckin awesome. Can't believe those places get any hate. Reserve your hate for Lost Izalith :p

Zeliard

Blighttown is great. Sen's Fortress is great. Great level designs and impeccably ominous atmospheres. Blighttown was held down on consoles only by its abysmal performance.

Well, shit. Been trying to get into the darkwraith covenant early but the four kings are slaughtering me. Only SL16 right now... Might have to retire the idea of getting in on a low level for now. I'd like to try to take the time to learn how to fight them, but the trip to the boss room is a pain in the ass.

What do you guys think of my SL 100 Arena Build? http://tinyurl.com/9m7shoe

SL 100 Bandit

Vit: 41
Att: 12
End: 40
Str: 16
Dex: 40
Res: -
Int: -
Fai: 14

R1: Silver Knight Spear
R2: Ascended Flame +5
L1: Grass Crest Shield
L2: Thorolund Talisman

Armor:
Mask of the Mother
Giant Armor
Cleric Gauntlets
Hollow Soldier Waistcloth

Rings:
Ring of Favor and Protection
Havel's Ring

Spells:
Great Combustion
Great Heal Excerpt

Really? Smough dying first makes the fight not too bad.

With 3 people it should be a cakewalk. Remember to pop your estus flasks to heal your phantoms.

Huh? Super O-Stein is way more of an ass than Super Smough.

Smough is still vulnerable to everything he was before getting bigger including being staggered by big hits, ranged magic and (especially) bleeding. Ornstein on the other hand gains insane reach, resistance to stagger and most magic, and also has the annoying butt slam.

If it weren't for the fact that I love his gear, I'd never fight Ornstein last because Smough is free.

Huh? Super O-Stein is way more of an ass than Super Smough.

Smough is still vulnerable to everything he was before getting bigger including being staggered by big hits, ranged magic and (especially) bleeding. Ornstein on the other hand gains insane reach, resistance to stagger and most magic, and also has the annoying butt slam.

If it weren't for the fact that I love his gear, I'd never fight Ornstein last because Smough is free.

Wow I should sleep, I'm not reading things right. Yeah Ornstein is such a bitch when you kill Smough.

Still haven't finished this boss fight. :(

Raxus

Actually it does.

Level design was fine. The invisible walkways with only snow to show where it is or messages sucks dick.

Once you get a feel with them the only difficult one is the secret one since it curves. The main path is pretty straightforward and I run across them all the time. Seath is pretty easy too once you learn the trick to him.

I am on the final boss in NG+. Man I still suck at him.

Jintor

Twice.

I was lucky enough to get someone who knew what they were doing. Aggro'd Smough while me and Sunbro wailed on Ornstein, then we just spent 5 minutes nipping at Smough's heels.

Where should I leave some summon signs if I want to fight Ornstein and Smough again? Probably down on the rotatey tower huh

Raxus

I was lucky enough to get someone who knew what they were doing. Aggro'd Smough while me and Sunbro wailed on Ornstein, then we just spent 5 minutes nipping at Smough's heels.

Where should I leave some summon signs if I want to fight Ornstein and Smough again? Probably down on the rotatey tower huh

Near the bonfire or in front of the boss gate. Most people look for help for that fight/area so I always saw tons of souls signs at ~SL50.

Fëanor

I had to get help for that fight, Solaire and random dude helped me kill those assholes. Had a phantom invade right before going into the boss fight. Fucker came to the wrong neighborhood that's for sure.

Not saying your way is poor or anything...but I got more staisfaction out of killing him. When he lands...two hits of
WashingPole +15 with darkmoon balde
finished him off damn fast as well. Hit his face.

Well yeah, if you can kill it just kill it. That was more for folks trying to run past and playing Russian Roulette with getting barbequed before they got to safety.

rybrad

Can you leave Anor Londo before finishing it? If so, is there a shortcut from near the second fire to the beginning? I want to go back to the blacksmith but I would prefer not to have to do the archers again. The archers aren't too terrible but it is annoying when arrows go straight through walls and the dude won't switch to melee.

Jintor

Fëanor;41794330 said:
I had to get help for that fight, Solaire and random dude helped me kill those assholes. Had a phantom invade right before going into the boss fight. Fucker came to the wrong neighborhood that's for sure.

Ah, I only wish it had been the same fucker who backstabbed me just as I was dashing into the boss gate past the golems.

Sarcasm

I can't figure out how damage works. I am looking at drake sword & longsword.

Drake Sword +0 200 damage. Longsword +0 80 damage STR C DEX C.

Drake sword +5 300 damage. Longsword +5 120 damage STR C DEX C.

And if you go to +15 on LS 200 Damage STR C DEX C...

What do I do? I do like the move set with LS. Light is side slash while heavy is a thrust.

EasyMode

Can you leave Anor Londo before finishing it? If so, is there a shortcut from near the second fire to the beginning? I want to go back to the blacksmith but I would prefer not to have to do the archers again. The archers aren't too terrible but it is annoying when arrows go straight through walls and the dude won't switch to melee.

You can leave Anor Londo by talking to the gargoyle that dropped you off. You can open the gate in the main hall with the huge guards so you don't have to deal with the archers again when you come back. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but it sounds like you want to go back to Andre? There is a blacksmith in Anor Londo if you haven't found him yet, explore the upper level of the main hall and you'll hear him hammering.

rybrad

You can leave Anor Londo by talking to the gargoyle that dropped you off. You can open the gate in the main hall with the huge guards so you don't have to deal with the archers again when you come back. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but it sounds like you want to go back to Andre? There is a blacksmith in Anor Londo if you haven't found him yet, explore the upper level of the main hall and you'll hear him hammering.
Cool, thanks for the info. Does the weapon ascension stuff work on all blacksmiths? Since I gave the embers I had to Andre I figured I had to go to him for all of that stuff.

Gvaz

Banned
Where the hell do I go in the DLC area?

It's way the fuck in the past (enough that darkroot basin where the river is in the main game, is now just a piddling stream) but the area is all changed up and places where there was flat places of land and bridges aren't there, but instead have huge holes in the ground.

It's so fucking confusing and I can't figure out where to go :(

Oh there's an elevator I have to connect.

Ridley327

Knee-deep in the
Duke's Archives
, and invaders are not getting the hint. Enter my game, face full of Fire Halbred.

That's just how it works.

wutwutwut

I can't figure out how damage works. I am looking at drake sword & longsword.

Drake Sword +0 200 damage. Longsword +0 80 damage STR C DEX C.

Drake sword +5 300 damage. Longsword +5 120 damage STR C DEX C.

And if you go to +15 on LS 200 Damage STR C DEX C...

What do I do? I do like the move set with LS. Light is side slash while heavy is a thrust.
For the +0 Longsword, 80 is the base damage. For every point of strength or dexterity you have, you get a certain amount of extra damage (indicated by the letter grade -- C is medium, S is best). That is why the Drake Sword gets outclassed eventually -- it has no scaling with stats whatsoever.

Top Bottom