• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

TTOOLL

You need patience for that fight but it's actually pretty easy at any level with any gear.

Just keep your distance and always run around it to get to the tail. After it does a running charge, it stays still for maybe 7 seconds, during which time you should swing at the tail to eventually cut it off. Once the tail is gone, the fight is much easier because it can't whip you with its tail. Continue doing the same thing, waiting for it to charge then bumrushing it and backing off before it does an attack.

perhaps the problem is my weapon. I'm using a +6 great axe =(

Zzoram

perhaps the problem is my weapon. I'm using a +6 great axe =(

That's plenty good enough. Just don't be greedy. You can usually swing enough to clear one stamina bar on it's tail/tail stump just after it does the charge and pauses, then back off and wait for another opening. If you stay and attack for too long you'll get hit/die.

Sullichin

Yup, same here.

I'm actually pretty stupidly stuck in the beginning of Anor Londo.
I've killed the gargoyle (and got a helm out of it :D) but the bridge seems to lead nowhere and the only other route I found leads to a locked orange misty gate.

The way to go is not obvious, but if you went down the big elevator you are going the right way.

Dascu

Yup, same here.

I'm actually pretty stupidly stuck in the beginning of Anor Londo.
I've killed the gargoyle (and got a helm out of it :D) but the bridge seems to lead nowhere and the only other route I found leads to a locked orange misty gate.

Look left. See the big building? See any holes in the windows? Maybe some way to get up there?

rizz

Neo Member
I'm facing a rather weird controller issue. When moving forward, my character walks instead of running. Sometimes he may break into half a run -- but only to go back to walking even before the running animation ends o_O

Moving towards any other direction (other than forward) works fine, i.e. he actually runs instead of walking. It could be issue with the controller, but other games seems to play just fine. I'm kinda baffled.

Dascu

I'm facing a rather weird controller issue. When moving forward, my character walks instead of running. Sometimes he may break into half a run -- but only to go back to walking even before the running animation ends o_O

Moving towards any other direction (other than forward) works fine, i.e. he actually runs instead of walking. It could be issue with the controller, but other games seems to play just fine. I'm kinda baffled.

Problem with some 360 controllers. You can "fix" it by clicking the left stick.

Nabs

Try this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41832956&postcount=4051

zkylon

zkylewd
will try again, thanks!!
That fight is also really fun if you summon Solaire and Lautrec to help you out.

ty for the tips, guys. I'll snoop around the elevator area again, I was pretty sure it had to be a silly thing I wasn't seeing.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hmmm I'm level 70 and I just finished Anor Londo. I'm way too high level, right? :(

Dude Im in the same boat, Im not sure what I did to get so high. I didn't really stop and farm souls or anything. The most I did was help out with S&O a few times. I guess just because I've only been using equipment I find and upgrading with mats I find. I've been exclusively using souls for my stats and not items/equipment.

zkylon

zkylewd
Heh, how did that work out for you by the way?
Had to do it twice, because Solaire was hell bent on cornering himself and just taking all the dragon had to give. That got him killed on my first attempt, and I made a silly mistake and got myself killed as well. Second time I also summoned Lautrec (didn't know you could summon multiple NPCs), and it was basically it was me and Lautrec just raining blows on the dragon as Solaire bravely stood there in his corner, taking punishment like a champ. Half way the fight the dragon decided Lautrec was his new nemesis so Lautrec and Solaire traded places, but it was pretty much the same thing lol (Lautrec even went to the exact same spot Solaire was sitting in before). They both survived with barely a shred of dignity left and it was a pretty ridiculous process.

Grief.exe

Dude Im in the same boat, Im not sure what I did to get so high. I didn't really stop and farm souls or anything. The most I did was help out with S&O a few times. I guess just because I've only been using equipment I find and upgrading with mats I find. I've been exclusively using souls for my stats and not items/equipment.

You pretty much have to physically stop yourself from leveling up. After Anor Lando I really pretty much just completely stopped.

I mostly just did that so I could help people with bosses and find more PVP opponents.

EasyMode

Had to do it twice, because Solaire was hell bent on cornering himself and just taking all the dragon had to give. That got him killed on my first attempt, and I made a silly mistake and got myself killed as well. Second time I also summoned Lautrec (didn't know you could summon multiple NPCs), and it was basically it was me and Lautrec just raining blows on the dragon as Solaire bravely stood there in his corner, taking punishment like a champ. Half way the fight the dragon decided Lautrec was his new nemesis so Lautrec and Solaire traded places, but it was pretty much the same thing lol (Lautrec even went to the exact same spot Solaire was sitting in before). They both survived with barely a shred of dignity left and it was a pretty ridiculous process.

Wow, at least they survived. Whenever I summoned them they just charged into his attacks died hilariously fast.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow, at least they survived. Whenever I summoned them they just charged into his attacks died hilariously fast.
Yeah, I expected a little more of them, I think Solaire managed to pull a Zeus lighting bolt throw once but other than that they were pretty funny in their commitment to not doing a single useful or logical thing.

Where should I go after I rang the gargoyle bell, Darkroot Basin, Darkroot Garden, Valley of the Drakes, Catacombs?

These are the only places I'm aware of, going in blind first playthrough. I could find this info a ton of other places, hope yall don't mind me asking.

Theres your answer - upgrade mats can eat up quite a few souls. I also find that once you get to Anor, souls tend to come pretty quickly/easily -- I usually need to make a mental effort to stop leveling too much.

2AdEPT

You can even do
the dance with it
lol
people know that the dance
buffs your allies' attack power right?
never saw anyone mention that part.
Experimenting with Magic based weapon on some of the other weapon tiers I am using, and was wondering, as I heard on some other site, there are other places to get Blue Slabs, beside grinding on Butterflies, and the one in Crystal Cave.

Any idea where these are? So far, I have found three regular slabs per game play (not counting drops), two Red slabs (one found, one through trading), two White slabs (one in the area before
you go and fight Nito, and those baby skeletons
and the Abyss via an alternative path), and that one Blue one I mentioned earlier.

Thanks again!
Try the garden area before hydra...never got a slab there myself (never make magic weapons even with sorcerer as +15 buffed with CMW is superior, all as a back-up to MOonlight G-sword of course...magic weapons basically suck) but they drop chunks galore and where there are chunks there is usualy a slab or two!!!
Had all 3 of those items although I couldn't use the ring as I was wearing Balder armor/gauntlets/leggings and needed Havel's ring. Weapon was fire uchi +5 but I wasn't dealing damage quick enough before the 2nd King would come in and ruin my shit. Next time around I'll try some heavier armour and the same 2 stamina regen items + some green blossoms and summoning the NPC to do a little damage and maybe take a few hits for me.
Yeah +5 fire might not be enough...my +15 washing pole buffed with resin was the best so far..used lightning as that was all I had left...fire may be better...not sure as I never hasd iussues with this fight on consoles. I actually think witch or a poor summon is a HINDRANCE....as the time it takes for the 2nd king ot materialize is faster...basically right away....so BOHT players have to know what theye are doing ..the witch is useless, but you can't get her clothes in the valley unless you use her both bossess she is able!
To the guy asking if it was safe to back up your saves using GameSave Manager, I've just restored mine (along with my GFWL user) after a formatting and it worked perfectly.
fully concur. GSM is awesome.
Weapons aren't only about their scaling and general stats, but also their move sets and other properties.

The reason the Balder Side Sword is viewed as such a good weapon isn't just because it does good damage and scales well with DEX (which it does), but also because of its relative low stamina drain on swings, its low weight, its solid range, its excellent and immensely useful R2 thrust attack, and its general ability to be very effective both 1H and 2H.
Isn't the draw for BSS the incredibly high damage per swing (DPS??) LInked to stamina cost, but these two points (DPS and low stamina drain) mean you can get a combo in that beats any ohter weapon inthe game no???
I have mixed feelings on Ash Lake.
The atmosphere is amazing (partially because it's one of the few areas where the sound isn't missing for me), but there almost nothing to do down there. But how barren it looks and feels ties back into the atmosphere of the place. One of the last remaining dragon (if that merchant is to be trusted at least), all alone in the middle of a lake, miles underground.

Though I'm glad I went down there after I got the ability to warp. Going down the Great Hallow was a pain, I can't imagine going up.
use humaity to heal and dont trip bonfires -> homeward bone out.
That unusual little creature was a Vagrant. When you die in a certain area, there's a chance it'll spawn one of them in someone else's game, and they supposedly drop pretty good stuff depending on how strong the dying player is.
its when a guy with huge humanity count dies....you get a humanity..never got anythingelse for me at least...maybe 10 lifetime?...all 1 humanity drop
I lost 10 humanity when my transient curse wore off mid-battle. Shit needs a cool down timer.
you get a greeen buff and sound indicator...but maybe this is new for PC..first time I ever notived was last =night and I played over 1000 hours of souls...easy to miss regardless.
Oh, I have two now. What I meant was that I'd like to be able to use them in a fresh, original NG situation where the co-op is aplenty. As opposed to NG+ and so on where at my SL co-op seems to be completely ignored.

Thumbs up to Ridley, no fucking mercy for invaders. Make them rue the day they decided to try and gank you.

THis is new- to-souls talk.....invaders are always at a disadvantage, both with healing options and with no help...granted they can use MOBS, but an intelligent host can avoid MOBs affecting the outcome..AND has the advantage of tripping the fog gate and sending home any invader.....and with regard to ganking.......unless you are doing advanced covenent stuff and INVITING invaders in with your covenant selection you can not be "ganked" by invader ganked means ganged up on - meaning more than one invader....only happens in places you welcome it....will never happen just going throiugh the game noramlly (rare glitches excpeted.) THe opposite it true for poor invaders...they get ganked all the time in regualr game....hosts stand with two phantoms outside the spawn point and GANK the poor invader. Being an invader is tough going...you guys best try it 10-15 times before you comment on the fairness etc.... I used to think the same way "this is my game etc." but after 1000's hours of souls it finally clicks that there is a very balanced intelligence to the PVP that takes ahiel to fully understand, and won't be uinderstood fully unless extensive experience is gained trying it for yourself.

EasyMode

Where should I go after I rang the gargoyle bell, Darkroot Basin, Darkroot Garden, Valley of the Drakes, Catacombs?

These are the only places I'm aware of, going in blind first playthrough. I could find this info a ton of other places, hope yall don't mind me asking.

Try the locked door at the bridge with the red dragon. You probably tried to open it after beating the Taurus demon, but you should have the key now.

Edit: lulz

Dascu

Remember the bridge you ended up on after beating the Taurus Demon? Where you can find Solaire and where that big red dragon is? There's a door there you can now unlock with a key you got from the Gargoyle fight.

Edit: Goddamn ballet bears.

Nabs

Arg. Looks like I will wait, since I don't have the PC compatible 360 pad, just the standard 360 one.

Check the Dark Souls forum on Steam. I read that a couple of people actually released mods and patches to fix kb/m support.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, don't bother, really. You should give it a thought, though, a 360 controller is a good acquisition, though, for many more games than Dark Souls, but Dark Souls is pretty much reason enough.

Raide

Check the Dark Souls forum on Steam. I read that a couple of people actually released mods and patches to fix kb/m support.

Thanks. I will check into it and see if it is worth doing that or just getting a 360 pad and then buy the game. :D

Vaporak

I can't imagine this game being playable with a mouse and keyboard under any circumstances...

There's absolutely nothing in the control scheme that really needs a dual analog control, it would control great with a KB&M especially if you have extra buttons on your mouse. Unfortunately From fucked the mouse input up really really badly, I'd definitely suggest playing with a controller.

News to me: There is a blue titanite slab in the DLC forest. And the scarecrows drop their weapons.

Yeah I got a couple scarecrow pitchforks earlier the other night (looking for one, ended up with three, one I gave to a very nice phantom who was helping me in Oolacile). But..where is this Blue slab? I keep hearing of it, but I haven't any luck with finding it...

Quikies83

Ok -- what's a good weapon I could craft specifically for 4 Kings? Been fighting these fucks for over a week now :( -- I've been using a +15 Claymore with char coal resin and it just isn't cutting it. Only bosses I have left are 4 Kings, Kalameet, and final boss. I'm a very high endurance character. SL64

Str: 24
Des:12
End: 40

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Ok -- what's a good weapon I could craft specifically for 4 Kings? Been fighting these fucks for over a week now :( -- I've been using a +15 Claymore with char coal resin and it just isn't cutting it. Only bosses I have left are 4 Kings, Kalameet, and final boss. I'm a very high endurance character. SL64

What you're using sounds pretty good for that fight. Are you sure the problem is your offense and not your defense?

Quikies83

What you're using sounds pretty good for that fight. Are you sure the problem is your offense and not your defense?

Running with full Havels and I was initially casting Iron Flesh but have since abandoned that since it doesn't really allow me to dodge at all -- and I believe it has been nerfed.

IIRC 4Kings do magic damage, you should max that defense. Plus you can continue to hurt the overall hp bar when you kill a king so keep swinging at the dying animation to make the fight easier.

kodt

Banned
Running with full Havels and I was initially casting Iron Flesh but have since abandoned that since it doesn't really allow me to dodge at all -- and I believe it has been nerfed.

Yeah that fight used to be really easy with Iron Flesh. Just cast it, then go two handed and hack away without trying to defend at all. Then IF was nerfed.

Remember the bridge you ended up on after beating the Taurus Demon? Where you can find Solaire and where that big red dragon is? There's a door there you can now unlock with a key you got from the Gargoyle fight.

Edit: Goddamn ballet bears.

Damn that boss was easy, where now? I'm assuming take that tower and go down to kill the
Hydra
, then Valley of Drakes/ go up into Darkroot Garden?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

After trying to get fancy with them and losing, I finally gave them a good ole fashioned beat down last night. Full Havel's set, two handing an upgraded black knight sword, chugging estes flasks as needed. I think Im SL 70. I didnt dodge or move or anything. just literally stood right in there face and swung away.

Vit - 25
End - 28
Str - 34
Dex - 20

If youre still stuck later tonight I can maybe come help. Im not sure if SL 70 (maybe 71 now, cant remember) is too high or not.

Also dont forget you can summon the witch to help, if you used her at the butterfly.

Yeah that fight used to be really easy with Iron Flesh. Just cast it, then go two handed and hack away without trying to defend at all. Then IF was nerfed.

Is IF useful anywhere at all now? I never ran with it during my initial PS3 play due to killing the trainer, and just got used to playing without Pyro.

Tried it a few times on my PC play through, and the downsides just seemed to outweigh any benefit I could see.

Quikies83

Is IF useful anywhere at all now? I never ran with it during my initial PS3 play due to killing the trainer, and just got used to playing without Pyro.

Tried it a few times on my PC play through, and the downsides just seemed to outweigh any benefit I could see.

Not in my opinion.

Grief.exe

Oh wow. I just beat Artorias in the DLC.

First time player, but best fight in the game. Awesome learning all of the dodges and just takes time and skill to whittle down his health.

Fun fight.

Top Bottom