• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Dascu

Damn that boss was easy, where now? I'm assuming take that tower and go down to kill the
Hydra
, then Valley of Drakes/ go up into Darkroot Garden?

No, keep going down, from lower Undead Burg, to the Depths to Blighttown. You'll find the second bell there.

edgefusion

Is IF useful anywhere at all now? I never ran with it during my initial PS3 play due to killing the trainer, and just got used to playing without Pyro.

Tried it a few times on my PC play through, and the downsides just seemed to outweigh any benefit I could see.

Iron Flesh is tantamount to a death sentence now. Hey boss come get me while I can't move at all! Nice work, you cleaved me entirely in two.

Wow, the dukes archive sucks ass. I thought it was easy at first, but those fucking archers and the soul arrow dudes are pissing me off so much.

No, all you need to do is not get hit. :p

It's easier than it sounds. Just make sure you can fast roll, and stay on his butt. Basically just keep moving until he does an attack, at which point you hack a few times and then step back a bit so you don't get caught by the edges of the frontal AOE he does. When he flies up to do a buttstomp, well, move back, and then move in.

Basically, hit him in the butt. Hardest part is probably in the very beginning when you drop in.

Butt stab. It's actually really easy when you understand how, just try to stay on his back at all times and you'll be safe from both of his red burst attacks, and just spank him in the ass every time he points it at you.

edit: effing ninjas

puhlease, you don't need to tell me to work the butt. actually the "don't get hit" advice is probably the real key, I think I'm just having trouble picking things up right at the start so I'm never in control of the fight. it certainly doesn't help that you lose half your hp entering the chamber ;_;

zkylon

zkylewd
puhlease, you don't need to tell me to work the butt. actually the "don't get hit" advice is probably the real key, I think I'm just having trouble picking things up right at the start so I'm never in control of the fight. it certainly doesn't help that you lose half your hp entering the chamber ;_;
If you manage to get your estus on after falling (dodge a couple heavy attacks and use the downtime to heal) you have half the fight covered. It took me a good seven or eight attempts to master it, but the actual fight is not that hard once you get it. It helps a lot that the bonfire is just right there.

Zeth

Any good caster gear before gold hemmed stuff? Also need to find a good 100% Physical def shield that's not too heavy. Any recommendations?

zkylon

zkylewd
Any good caster gear before gold hemmed stuff? Also need to find a good 100% Physical def shield that's not too heavy. Any recommendations?
I used the Hollow Soldier Shield for a good while and it's pretty decent. I think the hollow in Undead Parish drop them.

Speaking of which, is it really worth it to upgrade shields? I'm using the Crest Shield right now and I'm wondering if I should spend the little Twinkling Titanite I have on it...

arit

Spider S. (3.0) (Depths)
Crest S. (3.0) for magic res. (Undead Asylum revisited)
Dragon Crest S. (3.0) for fire res. (undead dragon in Valley of the Drakes)
Blood Shield (3.0) for status res. (Painted World)
Hallow Soldier S.(3.5) is dropped early in the game

There are no 100% physical def shields below 3.0 iirc.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

It helped me a lot to not lock on to him. That made it much easier to get my bearings and run away from him when he does the butt stomp or fire aoe. Makes it easier to sprint around and stay behind him too. He's so damn big its not like youre gonna miss him.

yeah I generally don't use lock-on for the big guys like him. first time I realised it wasn't needed was probably the muff dragon or topless spidergirl. anyway, thanks for the tips guys! you've at least helped me to figure out that my main issue is right at the beginning.

I am an 80% PC guy and this game is fantastic (with a controller), feels like an oldschool PC game even.

as a 100% pc guy I can say without hesitation that this is the best game I've played this year, and one of the best I've played period.

Grief.exe

How do you people even play without lock on? Crazy...

You can actually aim more accurately without it, especially in certain situations like if you are trying to cut off the tail, the boss is massive, or if you are dead angling/backstabbing in pvp.

How do you people even play without lock on? Crazy...

if the target is huge it's actually a disadvantage imo. take the iron golem for example, if you don't use lock-on it's much easier to run between his legs when he's getting ready to attack because the camera doesn't do a 180 right in the middle.

one85x

yeah I generally don't use lock-on for the big guys like him. first time I realised it wasn't needed was probably the muff dragon or topless spidergirl. anyway, thanks for the tips guys! you've at least helped me to figure out that my main issue is right at the beginning.
There's a spell you can buy from Griggs that helps out with the beginning of the fight.

I think the only game I like more than Dark Souls is Demon Souls, now if only we could get a PC port of that. But, since there is the 'who owns the IP to it' issue, doubt it will happen.

Finalow

Try to get a silver knight shield if your in anor londo.
that's pretty heavy if I remember correctly, usually the best not heavy shields are the crest shield (for the bonus) and the eagle shield. it doesn't really matter if the physical def is 100% or 90%, you should consider the rest as well.

this game

so I decided to go back to darkroot and explore some more since I'd only killed the boss in there then moved on.
came to the area where the roid-cat attacks you and wiped the floor with him using spells. then I'm feeling pretty awesome and I turn around and see two of them jumping down from the ledge nearby.

There's a spell you can buy from Griggs that helps out with the beginning of the fight.

ah I think I know the one you mean, will do when I go back shortly.

derFeef

as a 100% pc guy I can say without hesitation that this is the best game I've played this year, and one of the best I've played period.

Def in my list on the top spot atm. I wish more people would give it a chance. Kinda sad thinking people give up early and do not see the later stuff. I have not either, but I will!

IoCaster

Damn, these ghosts are wrecking my shit. They're coming out of the walls, ceiling and everywhere. I figured out the transient curse thing, but when they hook me from behind while I'm getting swarmed it's an instant game over screen. I gotta get out of here and figure out a strategy. Fuck.

how are the strictly pc gaming crowd digging the game?

I'm enjoying the challenge and think it's an awesome game. I wish they would have put some more effort into the port (controls mostly), but I definitely want them to bring any future games in this franchise to PC. *thumbs up*

Def in my list on the top spot atm. I wish more people would give it a chance. Kinda sad thinking people give up early and do not see the later stuff. I have not either, but I will!

the funny part is that I'm actually stuck in a couple of places right now; like, I know what to do to progress but I can't seem to pull it off. so at this stage I've probably only seen about half of the game, but I keep deciding to go for a stroll somewhere to take a break from progression attempts and discovering a new area which sucks me in for hours. so good.

zkylon

zkylewd
this game

so I decided to go back to darkroot and explore some more since I'd only killed the boss in there then moved on.
came to the area where the roid-cat attacks you and wiped the floor with him using spells. then I'm feeling pretty awesome and I turn around and see two of them jumping down from the ledge nearby.
lol had the exact same experience

mxgt

Banned
manus on ng+ with calamity ring and light armour can be quite a pain.

one hit = 1 hit KO or near death so have to be near perfect.

Drillow

I just got my save file corrupted for no reason (I quit the game via menu)
Thanks Durante for including a backup feature.

Likely wasn't corrupted. Had that error a few times. It seems to happen when it tries to load the save before logging into GFWL. Alt+f4 instead of creating a new save and just loading the game back up worked for me.

derFeef

the funny part is that I'm actually stuck in a couple of places right now; like, I know what to do to progress but I can't seem to pull it off. so at this stage I've probably only seen about half of the game, but I keep deciding to go for a stroll somewhere to take a break from progression attempts and discovering a new area which sucks me in for hours. so good.

I basically do this right now because I am too scared to go into Lower Undead Burg.

Vaporak

Hmm, just killed the golem at the dukes archives and didn't get the pendant drop. I haven't free'd Dusk yet so I hope that's why.

I think my game is messed up. The things I have noticed so far: Alvina doesn't disappear even when I kill everything in the forest, the armored boar doesn't drop it's helmet, and the prowling demon in Lost Izalith seems to respawn every time I use a firelink shrine, and it always drops 2 demon titanites. I suppose it is in my best interest to just farm the latter.

Ridley327

I think my game is messed up. The things I have noticed so far: Alvina doesn't disappear even when I kill everything in the forest, the armored boar doesn't drop it's helmet, and the prowling demon in Lost Izalith seems to respawn every time I use a firelink shrine, and it always drops 2 demon titanites. I suppose it is in my best interest to just farm the latter.

I actually read that the Prowling Demon in the Lost Izalith shortcut is supposed to respawn, just because of hard it is to come by Demon Titanite for crafting.

projectmayhem

Neo Member

All these things are meant to happen. The boar hat is a chance drop, a couple of times I haven't got it.

Leezard

I actually read that the Prowling Demon in the Lost Izalith shortcut is supposed to respawn, just because of hard it is to come by Demon Titanite for crafting.

Yes, it is supposed to respawn. It has always done that in the console versions as well.
The armored boar only has a guaranteed helmet drop if you kill it using the fire, I think.
I dunno about Alvina, does she actually disappear when you kill the bandits or what?

Did you betray the covenant? Like killing Shiva and his ninja? If so then you need absolution before she'll return.

Top Bottom