• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Hypron

manus on ng+ with calamity ring and light armour can be quite a pain.

one hit = 1 hit KO or near death so have to be near perfect.

Does the calamity ring give you any bonus to counteract the 2x damage taken? Or is it just an item for people that want an extra challenge?

Vaporak

I think my game is messed up. The things I have noticed so far: Alvina doesn't disappear even when I kill everything in the forest, the armored boar doesn't drop it's helmet, and the prowling demon in Lost Izalith seems to respawn every time I use a firelink shrine, and it always drops 2 demon titanites. I suppose it is in my best interest to just farm the latter.

I'm pretty sure that's all normal behavior. I know the second two are normal, not sure about Alvina because I haven't killed EVERYTHING before, but if you mean the human NPC's outside the coven area then that's normal behavior to.

Leezard

nah it's just a random drop. last two characters I've used the fire and didn't get it, killed it with a butt-stab first character I made and did.

I see. I've only gotten the drop on NG, and not on any NG+ and beyond. I always kill him with the fire on NG, so I guess that explains that.

Ridley327

Holy Christ, I love this game but I don't think I ever hated one level as much as the Crystal Cave.

Playing online makes that place a LOT easier, thanks to the amount of messages that line the paths. The only thing you really need to avoid doing is engaging the butterflies, since they don't lose aggro once threatened, and their magic attacks can knock you off of the paths.

If it's a matter of just getting to the boss, you can run past literally every enemy and not get hit, including the clams that are just before the fog door.

Raide

Just wanted to share this video I saw on the Game hub on Steam. it involves DLC bosses, set to Monster Hunter music, so be warned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0XenKebkZ8

Haha, the music goes really well! If they take anything from MH to make the next Dark Souls game, I hope it is the expanded dismemberment of the bosses and larger variety of bosses. Hell, I would love some sub-species style bosses for DS when players hit NG+ and beyond.

Sentenza

Playing online makes that place a LOT easier, thanks to the amount of messages that line the paths. The only thing you really need to avoid doing is engaging the butterflies, since they don't lose aggro once threatened, and their magic attacks can knock you off of the paths.
I'm playing online but messages help just to some extent, there is a lot of "blank" to fill and after the first easy paths, things start getting a bit confusing... OR it's just me, because I still have no clue of where I'm supposed to go now (I'm where you can loot the blue titanite slab from a corpse).

Vaporak

Where do people normally drop their summon signs for the Artorias fight. Normally the bonfire areas are hotspots but the area right outside the sanctuary doesn't have any at all. >.>

Grief.exe

I'm playing online but messages help just to some extent, there is a lot of "blank" to fill and after the first easy paths, things start getting a bit confusing... OR it's just me, because I still have no clue of where I'm supposed to go now (I'm where you can loot the blue titanite slab from a corpse).

Try bringing a bunch of arrows and shoot them out with your bow.

I was actually getting fairly frustrated in there for a bit.

Where do people normally drop their summon signs for the Artorias fight. Normally the bonfire areas are hotspots but the area right outside the sanctuary doesn't have any at all. >.>

I just beat that fight this afternoon. Best fight in the game IMO. I should put my sign down and help people out.

I wasn't doing all that much damage, about 120 with my R2. I have a lightning claymore and I guess he has a lot of resistances.

Ridley327

With the exception of one of the paths that leads to an item and a crystal golem, all of them are straight lines. To help out with your orientation, pay attention to where the snow is falling; if it looks like it's staying straight, just keep going straight.

It's a very disorienting level initially (especially the last path that leads to the clams and the fog door that requires you to drop down on top of it), but once you realize how simple the layout actually is, you can breeze through it with few difficulties. Just stay away from the butterflies, and you're solid gold.

Guevara

With that ring that makes you quiet, I either snuck or ran through most of TotG. You just have to know your way around.

I should use the
Slumbering Dragoncrest ring
more often. Half the time enemies respond to audio clues more than visual. I never really noticed that until I saw some online videos.

That's really cool.

Hypron

Hate that shit forever. But, once you figure it out it's cake. Until you forget about it months later and play it again :D

I never found that part hard tbh... The path to reach the boss is very simple, you just need to run in a straight line. The path to reach the
blue titanite slab
is a bit trickier to navigate, but you just have to look at where the embers falling from the sky "explode" and move from one of these spot to another.

On an other topic, I managed to unlock the "The Dark Souls" achievement that was stuck. The game seems to be doing an achivement check when you rest at the first bonfire in the game, so what I did was use gamesave manager to make a save backup just before that (you need a save backup of both Dark Souls and your GFWL profile), and then rest at the bonfire to get the achievement pop-up, check xbox.com to see if it had unlocked there, and if it hadn't I would just use gamesave manager to reload an older save and start again until it finally unlocked.

neoism

so guys is there like a way to grind at the beginning of the game... I got Demon Souls, and 4 hours later I was sooo pissed at the difficulty and just I was a noob that's that... I quit... Can you grind at the beginning of DS and make it easier or is it always a motherfucker.... I loooove this games art design..

I want to love and play this but the game doesn't lol

Sullichin

Try bringing a bunch of arrows and shoot them out with your bow.

I was actually getting fairly frustrated in there for a bit.

I just beat that fight this afternoon. Best fight in the game IMO. I should put my sign down and help people out.

I wasn't doing all that much damage, about 120 with my R2. I have a lightning claymore and I guess he has a lot of resistances.

Yeah, I do about 340 with the reinforced club +15. Physical damage is the way to go with a lot of the game, especially the new areas.

Ledsen

Damn I am on a ROLL right now! Breezed through most of the bosses so far with only a few deaths on each of them (with the exception of the Taurus Demon) and just unlocked Anor Londo. Found a Baldur Side Sword, upgraded it to +9 (so far) and rocking that with the Black Hemmed set (so badass) and a Grass Crest Shield+6. Fast movement and roll is a revelation after going 25-50% up until this point. Now to get my Dex up so I can use that cool Iato I found... also have lots of options where to go: Anor Londo, New Londo Ruins, Darkroot Basin, Valley of the Drakes (that damn surprise boss, stole his items though!) or Demon Ruins (to beat up the boss, already stole his items and Boned my way out of there lol). Life is goood.

Sullichin

So no one knows where the good summon spots are for the DLC area >.>, is just no one co-oping this place or what.

I've been summoned by the steps leading into the Artorias fight and by the sanctuary guardian bonfire. It takes me a while to get summoned anywhere though, even in the normal game. I got matched up much faster on PS3.

The beginning of Ooacile township is a hotbed for invasions, it's like the new 4-1.

I imagine that most people don't even know where it is to begin with; it is tucked away quite well.
A bit too well for paid DLC probably. I didn't
free oolacile before going to the archives so the golem there didn't drop the key.
I wonder if they'll give some sort of direction with the DLC when it releases on consoles.

Accessing the DLC area is the most obtuse part of the entire game probably. Pretty funny that they will charge for fairly well hidden content on the console version.

Grief.exe

I've been summoned by the steps leading into the Artorias fight and by the sanctuary guardian bonfire. It takes me a while to get summoned anywhere though, even in the normal game. I got matched up much faster on PS3.

The beginning of Ooacile township is a hotbed for invasions, it's like the new 4-1.

Ya it is.

Today I went human, was instantly invaded, then as we fought our way through the city that npc merchant invaded. So ended up being 2 on 1.
I ended up beating both of them actually! Was awesome.

Immedietly after that fight, a DMB invaded and I rolled off the stairs to my death while fighting him.

gogogow

So, this is really just a empty room?

ds2012-09-07_13-26-48q9oj9.jpg

wutwutwut

Accessing the DLC area is the most obtuse part of the entire game probably. Pretty funny that they will charge for fairly well hidden content on the console version.
How so? The pendant description mentions Oolacile and
that's where Dusk is from. She also mentions she's from the past, and the pendant is "ancient".
Seems pretty obvious to me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So..I keep reading that people wished they didn't lvl too high..is there a negative to lvling?

It can make it harder to find coop partners of PVP opponents as they have to be within a certain level range of you.

If you're soloing, then it doesn't matter at all.

Vaporak

So..I keep reading that people wished they didn't lvl too high..is there a negative to lvling?

The networking in the port is already really shitty, and you can only co-op in a range around your level. So if you are too high or too low for an area you won't get as much online play.

Ok, so I got a segment up today featuring the
Ceaseless Discharge
boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEwsB3x0cg

I've been slacking lately, (and taking a bit of a break) I have several segments past that including
Orstein and Smough
(at level 18) but I haven't edited them yet.

Trying to do a run with the minimal amount of leveling necessary, while still experimenting with different setups. I'm going to be taking on a low level challenge mode after this play through, so these are just warm ups and practise.

Ridley327

The Symbol of Avarice has definitely been my favorite drop so far.

Out of curiosity, does it help the drop rate beyond the 410 maximum when you have 10 humanity and the Covetous Serpent Ring equipped?

My first rage, 20k souls 6 humanity and I fell off the waterwheel after going through Blightown the first time with no deaths and I was just exploring shit before the boss.

Top Bottom