• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Reuenthal

Banned
A few questions: I have started playing this game since yesterday

What is kindling?
What is the benefit to gaining humanity I don't understand this.

Leezard

What is kindling?
I remember I had 10 of those recharchable potions at the begining and when I used a bonfire I could regain them somehow now I only have five, what the fuck happened? Sorry I can't explain it better.
If you kindle a bonfire you gain more estus flask uses from that bonfire. For example, you get 5 estus from a bonfire now, but if you kindle it you get 10 estus flask uses. The estus flask is the rechargeable potion.

Grief.exe

What is kindling?

Kindling allows you to get more flasks at that bonfire. That's why you went from 10 estus flasks to 5, because the fire link shrine is considered 'kindled'.
Tip: kindle the bonfire in undead burgh, you will be there for a while.

Humanity does a lot, allows you to participate in the multiplayer, gives you more item discovery, gives more damage with certain spells or weapons, allows you to kindle fires, and more.

Reuenthal

Banned
If you kindle a bonfire you gain more estus flask uses from that bonfire. For example, you get 5 estus from a bonfire now, but if you kindle it you get 10 estus flask uses. The estus flask is the rechargeable potion.

Kindling allows you to get more flasks at that bonfire. That's why you went from 10 estus flasks to 5, because the fire link shrine is considered 'kindled'.
Tip: kindle the bonfire in undead burgh, you will be there for a while.

Humanity does a lot, allows you to participate in the multiplayer, gives you more item discovery, gives more damage with certain spells or weapons, allows you to kindle fires, and more.

Thanks for the explanations.

Yes, it is supposed to respawn. It has always done that in the console versions as well.
The armored boar only has a guaranteed helmet drop if you kill it using the fire, I think.
I dunno about Alvina, does she actually disappear when you kill the bandits or what?

Ah, all good then. In all my game time on the PS3 I probably only tried the Lost Izalith Prowling Demon once per run (never got Chaos Covenant up to lvl 2 before). Seems a bit unreasonable though given how easy it is to farm him.

I also always got the Boar helmet off the first boar so just assumed it was a guaranteed drop.

For Alvina, I am pretty sure she was not available if you killed anything in the forest. I remember having to come around the back way (up the ladder and through the rolling cat section) in order to avoid killing anything. Perhaps they patched that out later though.

Portugeezer

This game is pretty tough, so far I can handle myself against about 2 skeletons... any more and I'm screwed. I just try to rush in, grab some items then die where I will be able to retrieve my souls.

Also what is all this hollowing and kindle stuff about? I wasted one humanity to look more human, does it do anything?

Jintor

Ah, all good then. In all my game time on the PS3 I probably only tried the Lost Izalith Prowling Demon once per run (never got Chaos Covenant up to lvl 2 before). Seems a bit unreasonable though given how easy it is to farm him.

I also always got the Boar helmet off the first boar so just assumed it was a guaranteed drop.

For Alvina, I am pretty sure she was not available if you killed anything in the forest. I remember having to come around the back way (up the ladder and through the rolling cat section) in order to avoid killing anything. Perhaps they patched that out later though.

I killed a dozen dudes getting to her and she didn't seem to mind

i-Lo

Man FUCK The Catacombs! Why do the Skeletons keep reviving!?

Thou need a divine weapon to cast the skeleton into an eternal slumber. This humble human recommends the silver knight spear if thou possess it. Any weapon with a value of 110 or above to the right of the white circle signifies a divine weapon.

This game is pretty tough, so far I can handle myself against about 2 skeletons... any more and I'm screwed. I just try to rush in, grab some items then die where I will be able to retrieve my souls.

Also what is all this hollowing and kindle stuff about? I wasted one humanity to look more human, does it do anything?

You shouldn't be at the cemetery unless you're prepared. Newcomers are supposed to go up the steps toward the aqueduct from firelink shrine.

Tilian

Banned
Man FUCK The Catacombs! Why do the Skeletons keep reviving!?
Find and kill the necromancer nearby who revives them. He's the ragged looking old fart throwing fire and holding a lantern or something. No need for a divine weapon this way.

And they don't survive bonfire resets which is nice.

Grief.exe

Literally need to scroll up about two posts

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=41884359

Just casually strolling through Sen's Fortress when this pops up out of nowhere.

Already killed him in Anor Londo quite a while ago.

That's crazy. Would be ridiculous to fight him in sen's. Imagine chasing him down that infinite coridor filled with swinging blades and boulders

gogogow

Ok, can anyone tell me what's up with the colors in this game, is there something wrong on my end or do you guys have this "problem" too? Why are the colors dithered?

ds2012-08-30_00002xgjnw.jpg

Portugeezer

Ok this game already annoyed me with stupid shit.

The souls you don't retrieve disappear if you die again which is easy in this game dafuq, I just lost a shitload. Hours of gameplay lost.

Grief.exe

The souls you don't retrieve disappear if you die again which is easy in this game dafuq, I just lost a shitload. Hours of gameplay lost.

Don't get frustrated. Trust me those souls aren't worth anything in the long run.

And that time wasn't wasted you learned how the enemies fight, where they are, and increased your personal skill.

Ridley327

There's really no way to "lose gameplay time" in Dark Souls, due to how the handles persistence with regards to item collection, shortcuts, and NPC relationships. Souls really aren't as important as you think they are.

Think of the things you HAVE learned:

- Enemy placement
- Attack patterns
- Environmental hazards

etc etc, hours of gameplay not lost imo :p

taoofjord

For my first play through should I bother upgrading weapons past them point where they start needing rarer ore? I've been using the winged spear, then drake sword, now black knight sword. They've all been fine without upgrading so far (at sen's now)

web01

Do people not listen to what the NPC'S have to say?
There are two people that tell you to use divine weapons on the skeletons it shouldn't be a huge mystery to everyone. They give other hints too.
Tell you where to go at the very start of the game and so on.

TALK TO EVERY NPC MULTIPLE TIMES PEOPLE!

Souls mean nothing you have not lost anything. You always get more than enough back from the next boss you kill and the next area always has enemies that drop more souls.
You never have to grind in this game. Any souls you get from general enemies should be considered a bonus but not a necessity.

D A R K S O U L S

Anyway, i just finished ng+ and am now gonna focus on pvp for a while. The undead burg is an awesome arena, lots of activity going on there! What are some other pvp hotspots? Apart from Bastard Garden, fuck that place. I want nice 1-on-1 duels, not 3-on-1 rape sessions.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
D A R K S O U L S

Anyway, i just finished ng+ and am now gonna focus on pvp for a while. The undead burg is an awesome arena, lots of activity going on there! What are some other pvp hotspots? Apart from Bastard Garden, fuck that place. I want nice 1-on-1 duels, not 3-on-1 rape sessions.
Oolacile township bonfire is the most popular now.

mxgt

Banned
D A R K S O U L S

Anor Londo and the Oolacile Township are pretty active.

gogogow

Is your resolution set to 16bit?

Nope, 32 bit (True Color). I only have this color problem in Dark Souls. I'm also playing Sleeping Dogs atm and there's no problem at all with the colors. I also checked the DSfix and Highres PC screenshots thread. Some people seems to have it and some don't. I wonder if it's a AMD/nvidia thing.

Yeah im actualy playing the ps3 version so i cant access oolacile township yet. I also heard kiln is quite popular, but since i just completed a game, thats a no go.

EasyMode

For my first play through should I bother upgrading weapons past them point where they start needing rarer ore? I've been using the winged spear, then drake sword, now black knight sword. They've all been fine without upgrading so far (at sen's now)

I wouldn't bother upgrading the drake sword since it's very expensive and only gets a tiny damage boost. Minor Sen's spoiler:
you're about to find a more powerful weapon, so you might want to get that before upgrading anything.

Perkel

Banned
Ok is there any trick to fight in lava ?

Lot of Fire RES ? item ? skill whatever.

I'm fighting with this worm there is lava all over the place and i can't do a shit. Neither my Sun bro

Ridley327

I'm fighting with this worm there is lava all over the place and i can't do a shit. Neither my Sun bro

Funny enough, you can get the item that he drops before he dies, which is what you'll need to be able to traverse lava.

Fistwell

Look for a small area without lava, on your right as you walk in. It's hidden out of sight when you first enter.

web01

Try and get to the island in the middle. once there you can fight him fine. You will have to take some lava damage to get there going to the right after you enter the fog door.

Defuser

You get a charr ring which reduces a huge amount of damage from the lava....after you kill the centipede boss LOL.

Raxus

As soon as the fight starts run to the right and follow a series of paths to a large platform ideal to fight him on. If you cut off his tail (or kill him) you earna ring that allows you to walk in lava and take minimal damage.

GJS

Yes, the only upgrade materials which are hard to get/limited per game are titanite slabs.

All the others are easily farmable, even dragon scales.

Pick weapons you like the move-set of and work towards upgrading them, it's more fun then relying on weapons everyone recommends like the Drake sword and the Lightning spear.

Gvaz

Banned
If I want the Mysterious Chester's cloak, when should I kill him for it? Does he only sell humanities and moss and arrows? Because if so fuck that, I'll just kill him for his overcoat.

Sullichin

If I want the Mysterious Chester's cloak, when should I kill him for it? Does he only sell humanities and moss and arrows? Because if so fuck that, I'll just kill him for his overcoat.

He'll invade you in Ooacile township, but you don't get anything really from killing him there. That's the only thing you'll miss out on by killing him early.

Top Bottom