• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

mxgt

Banned
I'm so bad at this game wtf, I can't beat Stray Demon. I beat him with magic on PS3 but I have no attunement slots for my PC run and it's so much harder.

Stay behind him, move out when he aoe's and then move back and hit. his attacks are really easy to dodge, the only real tough part is the start

Zzoram

Stay behind him, move out when he aoe's and then move back and hit. his attacks are really easy to dodge, the only real tough part is the start

After dying when his HP bar was so low it looked completely empty, I finally won.

TheFatOne

Did they nerf Smough and Orenstein? It only took me 2 tries to beat them this time, and the only reason I failed the first time was because I got greedy. So GAF I'm not sure what weapon I should use as a battle mage. What are my options other than the moonlight greatsword?

mxgt

Banned
So is Firelink shrine really the closest bonfire to the Abyss in New Londo? If so, what a pain in the ass.

No, there's a bonfire between darkroot basin and the valley of drakes.

It's still a shit run back but it's much better than firelink.

Zaventem

Did they nerf Smough and Orenstein? It only took me 2 tries to beat them this time, and the only reason I failed the first time was because I got greedy. So GAF I'm not sure what weapon I should use as a battle mage. What are my options other than the moonlight greatsword?

All the damage is the same for PC,they nerfed damage of all enemies hitpoints and poise for patch 1.04(Japan)/1.05(everywhere else).I really miss being able to see black phantoms..like in Demon's Souls maybe next game from fromsoft won't half ass covenants.

Haunted

So is Firelink shrine really the closest bonfire to the Abyss in New Londo? If so, what a pain in the ass.
There's another bonfire in a cave connecting the bottom of Darkroot Basin to the end of Drake Valley.

You can get to it after opening the big doors and draining the water - cross the bridge with the 4-5 drakes guarding it and keep left, there's an elevator in a cranny leading to that bonfire.

randomwab

No, there's a bonfire between darkroot basin and the valley of drakes.

It's still a shit run back but it's much better than firelink.

There's another bonfire in a cave connecting the bottom of Darkroot Basin to the end of Drake Valley.

You can get to it after opening the big doors and draining the water - cross the bridge with the 4-5 drakes guarding it and keep left, there's an elevator in a cranny leading to that bonfire.

Thanks guys. Forgot about that one. Still going to be crappy, think I need more than 10 Estus +2 to do this one.

KSai

Velka's Rapier and everything you can enchant.

I'd much rather take a little longer elevator ride and go past two ghosts instead of four drakes. Not to mention that the valley path requires many more darkwraiths to be killed.

Can someone help me where to go next? Spoiler?
Cleared blighttown and killed quelaag, then cleared out the entire demon area all the demons and even got the ember past the worms, then ran back and killed moonlight butterfly, climed the tower and got the key to the tower basement? What is this? Where should I go next? Valley of Drakes/New Londo Ruins/catacombs/and why is that hydra still shooting water at me? I'd like to go to the closest place next, I'm right at the bonfire next to the sealed door with the white orb in the middle in the forest. Thanks

I want to check out/complete this stuff before Sens Fortress if I can/should.

Dascu

Cleared blighttown and killed quelaag, then cleared out the entire demon area all the demons and even got the ember past the worms, then ran back and killed moonlight butterfly, climed the tower and got the key to the tower basement? What is this? Where should I go next? Valley of Drakes/New Londo Ruins/catacombs/and why is that hydra still shooting water at me? I'd like to go to the closest place next, I'm right at the bonfire next to the sealed door with the white orb in the middle in the forest. Thanks

Hah, you're totally off.
Ringing both bells opened up the locked gate just outside Undead Parish, next to the bonfire and blacksmith. The place is called Sen's Fortress and that's where you need to go.

Hah, you're totally off.
Ringing both bells opened up the locked gate just outside Undead Parish, next to the bonfire and blacksmith. The place is called Sen's Fortress and that's where you need to go.

I know but am I just leaving these areas or am I supposed to come back later?

Raxus

Here are your options
1a)Pay 20k souls and get the crest from the blacksmith to open the door.
1b)If you want to save the souls then you can kill the hydra, go up a ladder, and enter the forest to take on the next boss.
Either way you MUST kill the boss in that area in order to beat the game.
2)The next closest area is probably Sen's Fortress across from the blacksmith bonfire.

Ridley327

Weeeeeeeeeeee, finally got the whole Artorias armor set. Seems like it's actually pretty decent once you upgrade it, too.

Also, my Balder Side Sword is now at +15. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY ELSE

guys what's a good dagger build. im thinking of doing a speedy ninja build. i know it will sux donkey balls in pvp but i dont care. im a ds vet but i only stuck to str builds

1b)If you want to save the souls then you can kill the hydra, go up a ladder, and enter the forest to take on the next boss.

Does it quit with the water arrows of death if I get close?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Here are your options
1a)Pay 20k souls and get the crest from the blacksmith to open the door.
Either way you MUST kill the boss in that area in order to beat the game.
2)The next closest area is probably Sen's Fortress across from the blacksmith bonfire.

This reminds me: did they fix it so you can't glitch to the kiln without getting the lord souls?

Ridley327

Does it quit with the water arrows of death if I get close?

As a matter of fact, getting close turns the hydra from a water spewing demon from hell to a lumbering mass of barely effective heads. I would recommend having a shield with high stability, 100% physical block, and the Rusted Ring to make it easier on yourself, but the hydra kinda gives up once you're too close for it to use the water blasts.

taoofjord

I'm just curious... without spoiling anything how do people who played dark souls previously feel about the new content in this edition? Does it fit in well? Is it of the same quality?

Raxus

I'm just curious... without spoiling anything how do people who played dark souls previously feel about the new content in this edition? Does it fit in well? Is it of the same quality?

Probably some of the best bosses in the game is in the new content IMO. The areas are kind of small if you are doing speed runs but I was impressed.

I, sadly, never partook in any PvP arenas but I am sure they would be a blast if you could find a match.

Fuck me in a pink dress! Sen's fortress is a god damn nightmare! I think I've had like 3h in there, only managed to get to the boss once in co-op! Was also trying to kill those one legged dudes in the bottom... JESUS!

Haunted

I'd much rather take a little longer elevator ride and go past two ghosts instead of four drakes. Not to mention that the valley path requires many more darkwraiths to be killed.
I'd rather take the shorter route, always. :p The drakes are pretty easy to just run past, so it's not too dangerous.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fuck me in a pink dress! Sen's fortress is a god damn nightmare! I think I've had like 3h in there, only managed to get to the boss once in co-op! Was also trying to kill those one legged dudes in the bottom... JESUS!

There's a save spot on the roof. Drop down to the right on the second platform where the giant throws the fire...there should be a broken wall and possibly some messages indicating where it is.

Grief.exe

Anyone know how to get to this chest?

data20120908151540765.png

In oocatile Township in the new content, really close to where you kill the mimic chest for the crest key.

Zeliard

gawd what is up with the summoning

30 minutes at Anor Lando and nobody is summoning. At SL45 there should be plenty of bites.
I SIMPLY WANT TO HELP

Ridley327

Anyone know how to get to this chest?

In oocatile Township in the new content, really close to where you kill the mimic chest for the crest key.

If that's the one I'm thinking it is, you should be able to jump across onto the beam that protrudes the most from the other side. It's a tricky jump to make, but it's a thankfully non-lethal one.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm thinking of another one. Lost Fragment's hint should give it away.

So, my favorite weapon in DeS was my awesome Crescent Uchigatana. This time around, I'm focusing on faith instead of magic. Should I make it Divine or use a miracle enchantment?
Is it worth it to just
kill the merchant in Burg
to get one early? I have no idea on how I can find the forest covenant to buy it from Shiva... I'm at Sen.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So, my favorite weapon in DeS was my awesome Crescent Uchigatana. This time around, I'm focusing on faith instead of magic. Should I make it Divine or use a miracle enchantment?
Is it worth it to just
kill the merchant in Burg
to get one early? I have no idea on how I can find the forest covenant to buy it from Shiva... I'm at Sen.

IIRC, that merchant is the only merchant that sells certain consumables, so you might want to consider that. I'm not completely sure that one of the new NPCs doesn't sell those same things too, though.

mxgt

Banned
manus ng+ w/ calamity ring status: rage quit to the max

I can do it flawlessly until he starts casting dark magic, I spam the pendant and I still get 1 hit killed by one of his spells

fuck this shit

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Oops, I forgot to mention I'm on PS3.

Oh, yeah, he's definitely the only one that sells certain things, then. I think it's lloyd's talismans and repair powder. Lloyd's talismans are really useful in pvp, and repair powder is really useful if you use certain weapons with special attacks that drain a lot of durability. So if you plan on doing a lot of pvp with the characer you're playing, you might want to leave him alone and try getting the uchi frim Shiva.

Grief.exe

you can just jump over the gap along the left wall. It may be not intented but it works.

If that's the one I'm thinking it is, you should be able to jump across onto the beam that protrudes the most from the other side. It's a tricky jump to make, but it's a thankfully non-lethal one.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm thinking of another one. Lost Fragment's hint should give it away.

Let there be light

Ya I got it with Fragment's

Was a measly red chunk lol

Zeliard

manus ng+ w/ calamity ring status: rage quit to the max

I can do it flawlessly until he starts casting dark magic, I spam the pendant and I still get 1 hit killed by one of his spells

fuck this shit

I feel like he's going to one-shot me anyway even in NG since Vitality is at 9.

Oh, yeah, he's definitely the only one that sells certain things, then. I think it's lloyd's talismans and repair powder. Lloyd's talismans are really useful in pvp, and repair powder is really useful if you use certain weapons with special attacks that drain a lot of durability. So if you plan on doing a lot of pvp with the characer you're playing, you might want to leave him alone and try getting the uchi frim Shiva.
Oh well, I'll just keep using the spear until I find the guy then. Thanks for the help!

Ledsen

You can find a Lloyd's pretty easily.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Actually starting to understand the Ornstein & Smough fight.

It's not the fact that they're two : you can kite them for 20 min until one of them is dead
It's not the fact that they're "difficult" : they die in like 10 hits
It's not that there's another
phase
: The increased difficulty is somewhat balanced by the fact that they're alone now.

No it's not that.

It's the fact that it's one of the most shitty designed boss-stages you fight in of all time, I cannot fathom which idiot thought that fighting them in a cramped cathedral filled with geometry you get stuck on and the camera spazzes out at was a good design choice. It's one of the worst artificially "difficult" fights I've ever played. There's no satisfaction to be had, I keep getting to the same bloody point in the battle until I statistically have to get stuck on something and die for no other reason than shitty camera or level design.

*mentally thinking to myself* :" Ok just keep dodging, yeah good job, quick attacks and retreat. Good good. Ok here comes the big guns again, do a back roll. Hmm broken pillar behind me. Ok now my character is clipping inside the boss. Where is the camera looking? Nvm I'm dead."

Just sours the experience man.

edit : down 10 humanity, gonna keep going through them until I can't summon people anymore. Then I'm done like a bitch.

taoofjord

I got about halfway through the game on the ps3 version back when the game first launched. I don't know why I stopped playing after I rang the second bell, considering how much I loved it, but I did. Glad I picked up the PC version, though. It's amazing how faster you can progress when you've played it already. I'm now at the place right after Sen's Fortress and this is still, without a doubt, my favorite game in years. There's a ton of great games out there for sure but none draw me into the world and are as brilliantly designed as dark souls.

Top Bottom