• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Gvaz

Banned
He'll invade you in Ooacile township, but you don't get anything really from killing him there. That's the only thing you'll miss out on by killing him early.
I heard he shows up after he invades, is it the same place? Because I'd enjoy fighting his phantom but I still want that cloak.

arit

If I want the Mysterious Chester's cloak, when should I kill him for it? Does he only sell humanities and moss and arrows? Because if so fuck that, I'll just kill him for his overcoat.

I believe
he appears as a phantom in the township, but I think you will get his stuff even if you kill him in human form.

Sullichin

I heard he shows up after he invades, is it the same place? Because I'd enjoy fighting his phantom but I still want that cloak.

Yeah he's back in the same place as before with a bit of new dialogue. He invades pretty early in the level so you might as well wait for that.

Perkel

Banned
That worms just died.

Got a ring before i killed him (tail ?) Now i'm in Izalith and damn that is the best looking place in game so far (-bloom from lava).

Now i see those huge TRex things and i think whoa and there is a lot of them. When i get close to them. That's it ? Trishoted from zwaihander and probably double shot if i want from black knight greatsword.

Sarcasm

Of course the only legit PvP I get has to be when I come around a corner and run into 6 mobs. I of course got invader to half HP but the damn mobs & being poisoned..I hate the swamp....&*^%&^%&^%. Not to mention that horrible collison detection between water and land. I tried on shadow armor which is highest poison resist..really does nothing.

I was trying to summon spent 11 minutes all failures too.

Also where is the merchant here? I saw a sign but all I found was a fire bug spider thing.

Zzoram

Of course the only legit PvP I get has to be when I come around a corner and run into 6 mobs. I of course got invader to half HP but the damn mobs & being poisoned..I hate the swamp....&*^%&^%&^%. Not to mention that horrible collison detection between water and land. I tried on shadow armor which is highest poison resist..really does nothing.

I was trying to summon spent 11 minutes all failures too.

Also where is the merchant here? I saw a sign but all I found was a fire bug spider thing.

Merchant in Blight Town only appears if you are part of the Forest covenant.

Sarcasm

Merchant in Blight Town only appears if you are part of the Forest covenant.

Noooo! I haven't met any convenant besides the way of white.

Also what does it mean if like gold dust goes to my body I am wandering around swamp and it happened once. I also seen it near bonfires. Its like same animation as getting souls but gold (and no souls)?

Defuser

I just saw this on the GFAQS and holy fucking shit. This is Maneater's cheesing level.
3G4Fsh.jpg
Soooo gonna try this.

Raxus

Also what does it mean if like gold dust goes to my body I am wandering around swamp and it happened once. I also seen it near bonfires. Its like same animation as getting souls but gold (and no souls)?

Usually it is for another heal (in co-op) or for humanity from your orange soapstone getting a positive rating (unconfirmed).

Sullichin

Someone kindled a bonfire nearby. You get a free estus flask from it.

I just saw this on the GFAQS and holy fucking shit. This is Maneater's cheesing level.

Soooo gonna try this.

Lol what's the point of doing that? It's not a mandatory boss or anything

Someone kindled a bonfire near you (in their game). You win't get gold but your flask count should go up by 1.

Sullichin

I in the swamp near leeches where the two items..a sign says Need Humanity..what does that mean exactly?

It's just another message left by a player. Perhaps a suggestion to have some humanity in your counter to up the item drop rate, as the leeches drop green and large titanite shards.

Oh man,
Sanctuary Guardian
just whooped my ass. Actually feels like a proper boss fight this time with my dex character unlike with my mage that dropped it in 3 soul spears lol.

Ridley327

Had a nice little 10-minute duel with an invader while I was farming Darkwraiths. It's unfortunate that p2p can cause situations like that invader trying to take advantage of the inherent lag to make parrying impossible, but he made the mistake of one-handing an axe in the first place with a greatshield. It was only a matter of time until he fell.

Sarcasm

Towards a big white mound with a cave leading to a spider boss. The other way is a long path to a covenant

I think I know what yea talking about...great hollow? So the giant dudes are protecting a path to a covenant?

Wish there was a merchant down here...have 100 arrows left (for the damn sword evading flying bee things).

Sarcasm

Hi guys. I'm running the game on my Dell Laptop but the frame rate seems to be capped at 15fps. I'm not using the fix and I don't know what the issue is because I think my specs are good to say the least. Can someone help me out please?

Here are my specs:
http://i.imgur.com/5f923.png
http://i.imgur.com/QkmIH.png
http://i.imgur.com/8slk1.png

You need DSfix...vanilla defaults to your onboard (which would be the intel one and not the nvidia one)..so try out dsfix.

Portugeezer

Being a completionist and playing this game is not a good combo. I knew I couldn't handle that enemy... but damn he was blocking that path.

Gvaz

Banned
I think I know what yea talking about...great hollow? So the giant dudes are protecting a path to a covenant?

Wish there was a merchant down here...have 100 arrows left (for the damn sword evading flying bee things).

Yeah the great hollow has some goodies in it. It leads to Ash Lake at the bottom which has
the Endless Dragon which allows you to join the Dragon covenant (turn into a dragon and breathe fire and duel other dragons)

Also if you cut that dragon's tail off you get the best Dragon sword in the entire game.

Sarcasm

With the fix, it's still 15fps. What do you mean by "Vanilla defaults to your onboard?"

You have to do more than put it in the folder. Open the dsfix.ini and to specifically to tell it to not use onboard go to:

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

Now I don't know if you need to do more than change d3dAdapterOverride -1 to d3dAdapterOverride N

Like example..maybe have to specifically type out gpu..but I think all you got to do is change the -1 to an N.

Than test. Than some more like change internal resolution. Also what is your steam name?

Anteater

stupid bed of chaos, more like bed of asshole,
took me like 6 tries to get to his stupid heart, save point was far.

scitek

Was I supposed to beat the
Capra Demon
before the
Moonlight Butterfly
?

Also, the sewers are one of the most repulsive environments I've ever been to in a game.

I got a Black Knight Greatsword which looks amazing but I need a whopping 36 (or something) Strength to wield it. I'm level 29 and have 19 strength right now.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to build up toward that. Based on the numbers it's not looking a great deal better than the Drake Sword but I don't know if the greatsword truly shines when upgraded or something.

scitek

It doesn't matter, since the latter is a totally optional fight.

Ah, good times.

Turns out the game isn't that hard if you wander through New Londo Ruins at level 16 for a couple minutes and have a ghost drop a Jagged Ghost Sword with a 155 attack power.

Dascu

I got a Black Knight Greatsword which looks amazing but I need a whopping 36 (or something) Strength to wield it. I'm level 29 and have 19 strength right now.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to build up toward that. Based on the numbers it's not looking a great deal better than the Drake Sword but I don't know if the greatsword truly shines when upgraded or something.

You should be able to two-hand that sword (tap the Y button) with only 22 strength. The pro is that two-handing does more damage, the con is that it may be a bit slower and you'll have to tap Y each time before using your shield to block.

Zzoram

I'm so bad at this game wtf, I can't beat Stray Demon. I beat him with magic on PS3 but I have no attunement slots for my PC run and it's so much harder.

Someone up above me said they fixed the sound glitch. Is that the ambient sound glitch? How do I fix it? Sorry, haven't been able to keep up with this thread.

Raxus

It doesn't matter, since the latter is a totally optional fight.

With the Master Key they are all optional. With the Master Key the only necessary fights are
Bell Tower Gargoyles
Sif
Queelag
Ceaseless Discharge
Iron Knight
Seath
Smough and Orenstein
Four Kings
Pinwheel
Gravelord Nito
Bed of Chaos
Gwyn

Sarcasm

So I been farming the leeches as human in BT swamp (I use the bonfire in hollow). Got a ton of LRG shards.

Real question...back at the bonfire in swamp in the drain area between the walkways - but swamp level..I believe I was invaded by an NPC. I died to mobs - is there a way to have that chick with cleaver/1h and shield invade again? Will she if I am farming or do I like have to run through the bees to have her invade again?

Perkel

Banned

I find it rather not that good.

Yes it have damage output with R2 it can kill steel knight in one shot doing 600-700 damage easly without buffs but R2 attack takes forever in both 2H and 1H mode. 1H mode is thrust which is terrific for skelton dogs in Tomb of Giants (one shot) 2H mode R2 is badass looking slash from under sending smaller foes flying.

What i love about it is up+R2. It's standard jump slash but has fast damage same as any greatsword. Problem with this sword is that you can't enchant or use any resin and R2 attacks takes forever in normal fight.

But it also depend on what your great sword need to do. If you want it to use as Claymore then yes it is worth it but it won't stagger many biger enemies as Zweihander.

I am personally using Zweihander damage output is lower a bit (not that much) but it:

a) stagger most enemies with it's R2 attack and it's splatting those skeleton dogs in ToG
b) R2 attack is very fast for this damage output. DPS with R2 is way higher for Zweihander than DKGS
c) you can enchant and use resins
d) R2 attack has long reach same as jump one

For me a) is what matter most because when you stagger enemy you are almost guaranted to do second swing with R2 so another stagger repeat till your stamina reaches bottom.

For lost izalith for example DKGS is useless since those big fuckers are very high and R2 attack of Zwei has long vertical reach.

I'm currently thinking about creating some second slot weapon for maximum stagger effect.

How about smogh hammer how's R2 on that hammer gaf ?

Top Bottom