• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I tried O&S a bit more -- I give up for today. I've hit a wall for the first time in the game.

tumblr_m0yoduNPGP1qjnbtgo4_r1_400.gif

DS vets used to know that feel, bro.

Grief.exe

Almost beat kalameet on the first try. I'll come back later and finish him.

Gotta say all of the dlc bosses are incredibly satisfying. They all have high health pools and resistances too.

Just got enough strength for my man serpent great sword. Its a lot of fun. At +14 right now, will upgrade it after I beat kalameet.

I tried O&S a bit more -- I give up for today. I've hit a wall for the first time in the game.

S&O is one of this bosses where it won't seem like you are making progress but all of a sudden it will click and you will be able to beat it.
My advice is to use the lightning spear from sens and go after smough last. His attacks are easy to Dodge, once he commits go 2h and wreck him.

Vaporak

Ornsetein and Smough is one of if not the best designed encounters in the game. The game only goes down hill from then on imo.

KSai

This is one of the first games in a while to actually scare the shit out of me. I was running in the sewers and fell down a hole and was immediately Cursed by something breathing all over me. Lost about 10k souls. I respawned at the bonfire, ran back to the place, fell back down the hole, retrieved my souls and proceeded to clear the room one enemy at a time. Felt good.

It doesn't matter how many times I play this damn game, I flinch every time in the Blight Town swamp whenever the fatass rock throwers attack me from off screen.

Raxus

Ornsetein and Smough is one of if not the best designed encounters in the game. The game only goes down hill from then on imo.

The DLC makes up for it and I would say
Gravelord Nito and Seath are both pretty neat. Even if Seath is a joke. Priscella is cool too.

Bed of Chaos reminded of Earthworm Jim boss Bob the Goldfish, only easier.

Now I have all the Lord Souls and started the DLC content, cut the Sanctuary Guardia tail :).

Grief.exe

So I'm fairly new to Gaf.

Whats the difference between this thread and the one in the Gaming Community section, which I just discovered.

Ridley327

So I'm fairly new to Gaf.

Whats the difference between this thread and the one in the Gaming Community section, which I just discovered.

That one is for the console versions that came out this year, while this one is for the PC version. The rules are such that this thread will move to Community in a month's time, just like the console release did.

Almost beat kalameet on the first try. I'll come back later and finish him.

Gotta say all of the dlc bosses are incredibly satisfying. They all have high health pools and resistances too.

Just got enough strength for my man serpent great sword. Its a lot of fun. At +14 right now, will upgrade it after I beat kalameet.

S&O is one of this bosses where it won't seem like you are making progress but all of a sudden it will click and you will be able to beat it.
My advice is to use the lightning spear from sens and go after smough last. His attacks are easy to Dodge, once he commits go 2h and wreck him.

Yeah, all of the DLC bosses are prime quality. The levels themselves are not the best really, but acceptable.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I've been using Balder Side Sword up until now, but just found a Silver Knight Straight Sword. Worth switching over and spending the Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it?

NZNova

Do you mean the
Bellend Gargoyles?
I just beat them, but I hated the
second motherfucker that sneaks up from behind and roasts you. What a pussy.

Yeah, them. Dodging the attacks of one while the other breathes fire on you is a pain in the ass.

zkylon

zkylewd
So the Anor Londo archers are the two Balder Knights with the huge bows? I hope so, because I got past them on my first try (and I was in human form and scared shitless lol).

dani_dc

So apparently the retail version of Dark Souls IS registable on Steam according to this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2901670

I believe it's useful information to add to the OP since (as far as I'm aware) it's fairly unknown.

Wish I had found out before buying the digital version, there was no news of this anywhere so I didn't even check for this possibility before getting the game, wouldn't mind so much if the Steam version had digital versions of all the extras, but that not being the case it really leaves me wishing I had picked up the retail version.

With that said I'm enjoying the game a lot, up to Sen's Fortress (though I went all the wait up to the second bonfire of the Tomb of Giants before a friend pointed out to me that
the path is blocked for the moment
. At least now I get to
kindle the fire twice
)

Lucentto

Banned
So, I've been using Balder Side Sword up until now, but just found a Silver Knight Straight Sword. Worth switching over and spending the Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it?

No, I don't think the Silver Knight Sword will be better than what you have now. Balder Side Sword is very good at +15.

Because it's fast, has good range, great move set, and scales well with DEX.

but it belongs to balders. the almost fodder basic enemies of the game.

i understand why its popular from a mechanical perspective, not aesthetic. but oh well, as long as its not 400 claymores.

Zeliard

but it belongs to balders. the almost fodder basic enemies of the game.

i understand why its popular from a mechanical perspective, not aesthetic. but oh well, as long as its not 400 claymores.

Balder Shield is one of the best-looking shields in the game. Plus they have the chest armor with that awesome cape.

Balder Knights are ballin', son.

KarmaCow

Cutting off Kamaleet's tail was huge pain. Spent around 30 minutes just circling around him, hoping he lets his tail down so I could hit it. Actually trying to kill him took maybe 1/10th of the time.

Only have 3 more bosses to go, then I can fight the final boss now. I'm not sure what to spend my souls on. I stopped leveling at 60, which was a bit past around Anor Londo because I was already struggling to get summons then. Past Sif, it took way to long to get summoned so maybe I'm too low now? I still have a few weapons that I could spend souls on upgrading but I don't really need any of them.

Made some progress today:
Killed a boss who had some annoying dogs, went back to the tutorial area and fought dat-ass boss, killed a puppy with a big sword (felt really bad when it started limping) and killed an hydra boss (pretty easy).

Maybe I should try that fire place now...

I felt really bad as well when
I was fighting Sif and he started limping. One of my favorite bosses though

Grief.exe

Cutting off Kamaleet's tail was huge pain. Spent around 30 minutes just circling around him, hoping he lets his tail down so I could hit it. Actually trying to kill him took maybe 1/10th of the time.

Only have 3 more bosses to go, then I can fight the final boss now. I'm not sure what to spend my souls on. I stopped leveling at 60, which was a bit past around Anor Londo because I was already struggling to get summons then. Past Sif, it took way to long to get summoned so maybe I'm too low now? I still have a few weapons that I could spend souls on upgrading but I don't really need any of them.

I did the exact same thing. I stopped leveling at about 55, but finished off my endurance at 66.

I beat the DLC content at that level and didn't have too hard of a time, so you will be fine. I just leveled up to 75, purely pumping strength so I could wield the Man Serpent Great Sword.

Raxus

Most finish the game around 60-70 so you are on track, you are just fighting bosses in a weird order (Anor Lando is a 45-50 area typically). As far as soul spending you can spend souls on armor, supplies, weapon upgrades, spells (if you play that way or just want achievements), or just random crap like arrows.

Zeliard

Sigh, can't get any co-op action anymore. I can't seem to be summoned by anyone. GFWL is saying connectivity is fine, ports are opened, etc, but no cigar.

EasyMode

Sigh, can't get any co-op action anymore. I can't seem to be summoned by anyone. GFWL is saying connectivity is fine, ports are opened, etc, but no cigar.

The past few days I haven't been able to summon anyone... fails every time. But I can be invaded thankfully :/

joe2187

Banned
*travelling to boss door sees a forest of summon signs*

Yay!

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

DARK SPIRIT HAS INVADED YOUR WORLD

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

YOU DIED

Defuser

For some reason I feel the DLC is bare although it has 3 new areas, 4 bosses and new spells which is quite alot to many people. Playing the DLC makes me crave for more soul ganes. Hopefully next year there is Demon Souls 2 or Dark Souls 2

EasyMode

I need to get a better weapon for the S&O fight. Quelaag Fury Sword my best bet?

I've used it with success in that fight before.

Whay kind of damage is the
dragon
at the bottom of royal wood doing? It's nasty

Fire I'm pretty sure.
If he's still flying around you should visit Gough, assuming you've beaten Artorias.

Also, anyone else wanna share their summoning success rate? I'm not kidding when I say I can't summon anyone lately. I'm wondering if it's a widespread problem.

Zeliard

*travelling to boss door sees a forest of summon signs*

Yay!

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

DARK SPIRIT HAS INVADED YOUR WORLD

"SUMMONING FAILED"

"SUMMONING FAILED"

YOU DIED

Yeah this sort of thing would explain why co-op is so fucked.

I haven't tried summoning anyone but I've set my white soapstone down tons of times and have not been getting nearly the amount of summons I should be.

Pretty lol that you can still be invaded even when you can't summon any friendlies.

I reached Artorias tonight. I think I can get him but he is relentless. I've died 4 times and I manged to get him to 1/2 health on my last effort but I used 2 gold pine resins, which added to my +15 Iaito does decent damage but I don't have a ton to waste. I'd like to take him down without help.

Raxus

I reached Artorias tonight. I think I can get him but he is relentless. I've died 4 times and I manged to get him to 1/2 health on my last effort but I used 2 gold pine resins, which added to my +15 Iaito does decent damage but I don't have a ton to waste. I'd like to take him down without help.

Well good luck. Personally he is my favorite boss in the game. If you want any tips just ask.

So far the trick seems to be stamina management. I'm wearing the Ring of Favor and Protection and the Cloranthy Ring, so there isn't a whole lot more I can do about that.

Ridley327

Defeated Manus. It wasn't until after the fight that I noticed that I still had my Covetous Serpent Ring equipped, so I beat him with a handicap!

...granted, the phantom that you can summon in that fight helps out a great deal as far as keeping him occupied for you get hits in, but still!

Now I can actually walk around Oolacile Township without being invaded every 10 seconds!

Volcynika

My brother has no PS3 or 360 and has not paid attention to the games, but I convinced him to get Dark Souls on PC. Gonna be interesting to see what he thinks, though he did beat the first boss!

Zeliard

So far the trick seems to be stamina management. I'm wearing the Ring of Favor and Protection and the Cloranthy Ring, so there isn't a whole lot more I can do about that.

+ Mask of the Child, and if you aren't using any other self-buffs, Green Blossom.

It all stacks.

juicyb

This game is way too easy as a sorcerer. Fought the dreaded Four Kings and killed them without even being hit. About 2 crystal soul spears followed by 1 or 2 more soul spears downed each one. Kinda disappointed at how easy it was tbh haha

theta11

This game is way too easy as a sorcerer. Fought the dreaded Four Kings and killed them without even being hit. About 2 crystal soul spears followed by 1 or 2 more soul spears downed each one. Kinda disappointed at how easy it was tbh haha

Most of the difficulty of that boss fight is NG+ and above.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Most of the difficulty of that boss fight is NG+ and above.

Sorcery builds actually handle the difficulty increase with each successive loop rather well. Since you get additional castings of the ultimate spells with every playthrough you actually more or less keep pace with them. By the time you're close to maxing out the difficulty you're slapping CSS into every single Attunement slot you've got and just straight up going totally apeshit on them with as many spell-boosting items as you can make room for. It's not elegant in the least, but a win's a win.

Top Bottom