• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ArynCrinn

Banned
I need to get a better weapon for the S&O fight. Quelaag Fury Sword my best bet?

Yeah, even a non-upgraded Fury Sword will smoosh Ornstein (provided you have decent DEX), use a decent lightning effect on Smough or just kill him last any way you wish.

Fury Sword is one of my go-to weapons for Ornstein on NG+/+, but then again I also just lost 10 Humanity being fancy last night...

Raxus

Yeah, even a non-upgraded Fury Sword will smoosh Ornstein (provided you have decent DEX), use a decent lightning effect on Smough or just kill him last any way you wish.

Fury Sword is one of my go-to weapons for Ornstein on NG+/+, but then again I also just lost 10 Humanity being fancy last night...
It is actually a pretty shitty weapon but if you aren't building towards anything in particular than chaos and lightning is the way to go.
I want to kill Ornstein last. I'm in for some fun. ;_;
When you see the spear glow yellow, roll at him.

ArynCrinn

Banned
It is actually a pretty shitty weapon but if you aren't building towards anything in particular than chaos and lightning is the way to go.

I somewhat disagree, it's a relatively low stamina cost even at two-handed, good moveset and fast attacks, cuts through two defenses and scales well with DEX and Humanity. This means when maxed at 40 DEX and 10 Humainty, enemies that are weak to fire get bent over the table.

Sure it doesn't beat a +15 BSS with Charcoal, or a +10 Chaos BSS, but for Ornstein in particular (and Seath) this weapon does nicely. Definitely one of the better boss weapons. But I agree there are definitely better weapons and build-too's, but a skilled Fury Sword ain't nothing to fuck with.

Beat Tomb of the Giants. This was my highlight:

iAAZ2MpXTZdEa.gif

LOL

Dark Souls: The gif

Raxus

I somewhat disagree, it's a relatively low stamina cost even at two-handed, good moveset and fast attacks, cuts through two defenses and scales well with DEX and Humanity. This means when maxed at 40 DEX and 10 Humainty, enemies that are weak to fire get bent over the table.

Sure it doesn't beat a +15 BSS with Charcoal, or a +10 Chaos BSS, but for Ornstein in particular (and Seath) this weapon does nicely. Definitely one of the better boss weapons. But I agree there are definitely better weapons and build-too's, but a skilled Fury Sword ain't nothing to fuck with.
I used the weapon to until my Iaito was leveled and it does good damage, assuming you can keep 10 soft humanity on you. If the enemy is immune or resistant to fire damage than it does shit damage. You also lose the flexibility and other handy effects of better critical strikes that other dexterity weapons give you. It is a nice upgrade from the drake sword/spear until you find a weapon that fits your character better. I just don't want people in this thread using it like a crutch like I did for a long long time.

Fëanor

I was bored so I decided to make a quick gif of the armor sets I have so far.

So many goofy looking armors that's for sure!

darksouls720p9tkf4.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
That's awesome.

I used the weapon to until my Iaito was leveled and it does good damage, assuming you can keep 10 soft humanity on you. If the enemy is immune or resistant to fire damage than it does shit damage. You also lose the flexibility and other handy effects of better critical strikes that other dexterity weapons give you. It is a nice upgrade from the drake sword/spear until you find a weapon that fits your character better. I just don't want people in this thread using it like a crutch like I did for a long long time.

I'm just crafting it for S&O, nothing else. Going to use my BSS otherwise.

The antiquated set isn't appearing at the end of the cave even though I've summoned Dusk already. Great. I didn't pick it up before getting the lordvessel so dusk was gone until I finished the DLC. Finally wrapped that up but it must not show up if you don't get it before Dusk vanishes. Guess I'll have to wait until NG+ :|

Fistwell

I think O&S is easy compared to the 4 kings.
The 4 kings are absurdly easy with enough armor.

If he's still flying around you should visit Gough, assuming you've beaten Artorias.
I did that, he's still flying, what gives? Is there a particular dialog option i somehow missed?

Also, anyone else wanna share their summoning success rate? I'm not kidding when I say I can't summon anyone lately. I'm wondering if it's a widespread problem.
Highly variable. I can sometimes try for 20 mins without success (recent examples, O+S, artorias), other times find success after trying for 20 mins (artorias). It sometimes works right away (O+S, magnus). Seems completely random.

Why the fuck is Manus so hard but Artorias was fucking WoW levels of easy??

Manus isn't that bad either once you get the timing on the delayed attacks down. You can dodge nearly all of his magic attacks (except for the one where he surrounds you), and he gives you ample time to heal in between his attacks so you can actually afford to get greedy.

Also there's always
the pendant and Sif's summon sign
if you're having too much trouble.

Taruranto

I'm thinking of re-rolling my character using the wisdom accumulated in this playtrough. It's a bit of a pain, but it shouldn't take much. Last time i managed to catch up with my previous deleted save in 24 hours.

Vaporak

So, I've been using Balder Side Sword up until now, but just found a Silver Knight Straight Sword. Worth switching over and spending the Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it?

I personally love the Silver Knight Straight Sword, especially when you're around the anor londo area. At that time the best you can upgrade the BSS to is +10 or go lighting. A +10 BSS does 160 AR with B scaling, while the Silver Knight Sword +5 does 262 with C scaling, which will be far more damage at that phase of the game. Unless you have seriously high dex and the very large ember, the Silver Knight Straight Sword will be doing more damage. I also think that damage scaling takes into account the base AR of a weapon, so ever though the BSS has better scaling, it will always have significantly lower base AR. So my vote is upgrade the Silver Knight Sword and play around with it, it's not like you have much to lose.

zkylon

zkylewd
Finally made it past Anor Londo. Got invaded twice trying to get summoned to fight
Lautrec
, and got beaten on both occasions. First guy had some crazy high level gear and he healed in the middle of the fight, which is pretty shit, as I had just had him bleed for 700 damage. Second one had more decency, waited until I killed the silver knight I was fighting and let me heal first. Still beat me, but just so.

After killing
Lautrec
I just summoned Solaire against S&O. They weren't all that tough the one time I fought them by myself but 2v2 seems fair. Orstein went down first, and then Solaire. Smough was pretty easy all by himself.

Now I'm back at the beginning, with a ton of places to visit and revisit, and I'm not sure where to start...

Ledsen

After 28 hours, there's really only one significant complaint I can level against the game:

No retries on bosses. Running from the bonfire to the boss gives me nothing. It's not challenging, I don't learn anything, it's not fun. It's simply a huge waste of time. Right now I'm butting my head against Laurel & Hardy and it takes me ~1 min to get to them every time I die. Why From? What will I learn from running up some stairs, jumping, running down some stairs and past two giants? It's pointless and it pisses me off. Just let me press "retry" when I die, and spawn me in the boss chamber. God.

D-e-f-

Banned
Shouldn't this thread be renamed?

The PC port is a crime convicted by Hijinx Studios (makers of the equally horrible Silent Hill HD Collection), not From Software.

So if I have an ordinary dualshock with a usb cable for charging the battery, is it straightforward to get it up and running on windows 7 to play this?

Seems like most of the the PVP action is in the new areas. Got invaded twice already, defeated them both times.
Then walked off a cliff

Shouldn't this thread be renamed?

The PC port is a crime convicted by Hijinx Studios (makers of the equally horrible Silent Hill HD Collection), not From Software.

Where are you getting this from? People have joked that it's made by Hijinx when the bad info surfaced but that's it. At least the core game is there and works and isn't any worse than on consoles, that's how bad a Hijinx port would be.

randomwab

What's the best method for gaining Humanity? A friend has told me I need 30 to
open a shortcut between the Chaos Servant and the Demon Ruins which he said is one of the worst areas of the game.

open a shortcut between the Chaos Servant and the Demon Ruins which he said is one of the worst areas of the game.

PVP/getting summoned (if you're good enough) or farming the small skeletons at the end of Tomb of the Giants.

KarmaCow

If you have access to the DLC areas, there is an area near the end that just throws Humanity at you. The enemies that drop them are complete push overs and there are tons of them.

And about your spoiler,
the part you skip are two bosses and a run through what I thought was a pretty neat looking area. You also get a an item that's helps you deal with lava though it's very situational. There is another benefit to opening the short cut early which has to do with Solaire. Check a wiki about if you don't care about spoilers like that.

Dascu

Not the fastest, but probably the easiest and most convenient:
Warp to the Depths bonfire and fight the rats that are very close by. Equip a Gold Serpent Ring to improve your item drop rate. You should average about one Humanity per two runs, and each run would take you less than a minute.

I have way less traffic compared to the console versions in this. I see messages, but hardly any blood or other players and never get summoned. Is this some GFWL buggy bs? :(

Not the fastest, but probably the easiest and most convenient:
Warp to the Depths bonfire and fight the rats that are very close by. Equip a Gold Serpent Ring to improve your item drop rate. You should average about one Humanity per two runs, and each run would take you less than a minute.

You can max out Item Discovery to 410 by using Humanity and the above item, but it's capped at 10 Humanity.

Ledsen

FUCK FUCKSHITSHITFUCKFUCKSHITSHIT

fucking CAMERA lockon fuckfuck spinning me just at the right fucking moment so I get a gigantic hammer in the back CAMERA

juicyb

Man, if i wanted a challenge in this game I should NOT have gone sorcery. This is one of the easiest games I've ever played.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Man, if i wanted a challenge in this game I should NOT have gone sorcery. This is one of the easiest games I've ever played.

Thankfully I played a melee build for my first playthrough, but yeah, I was surprised at how much easier this game is when you can just spam spells at (most of) the bosses.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
FUCK FUCKSHITSHITFUCKFUCKSHITSHIT

fucking CAMERA lockon fuckfuck spinning me just at the right fucking moment so I get a gigantic hammer in the back CAMERA

Yep, the lock on function has sent me careening off many a cliff before.

Made it to Sen's Fortress for the first tme with my SL54 Dex build. Unfortunately I won't get to play for the next few days.

Totakeke

I finally had enough and just summoned a guy to help me with O&S which made it easy. Now I'm being rammed by boars that I do less than 40 damage to. After co-op'ing for a while, I feel like my dex/int build is super gimp. I deal like less than half of the damage other people are doing most of the time. :sadface I must be playing this game wrong.

Top Bottom