• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I have way less traffic compared to the console versions in this. I see messages, but hardly any blood or other players and never get summoned. Is this some GFWL buggy bs? :(

Anyone? Any tips on how to test connectivity? I have just started with Blight Town now.

I finally had enough and just summoned a guy to help me with O&S which made it easy. Now I'm being rammed by boars that I do less than 40 damage to. After co-op'ing for a while, I feel like my dex/int build is super gimp. I deal like less than half of the damage other people are doing most of the time. :sadface I must be playing this game wrong.

What are your Stats? What weapons are you using? We're here to help! :)

Totakeke

What are your Stats? What weapons are you using? We're here to help! :)

Hq2tjl.jpg

Mm, here they are. I sorta messed up going 25 int when crystal magic weapon was still a bit away. I have weapons Iaito +10, Painting Guardian Sword +10, Black Bow of Pharis +10, Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, Grass Crest Shield +10, and just a random assortment of light armor with Havel's ring on. They should be pretty standard stuff.

Hq2tjl.jpg

Mm, here they are. I sorta messed up going 25 int when crystal magic weapon was still a bit away. I have weapons Iaito +10, Painting Guardian Sword +10, Black Bow of Pharis +10, Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, Grass Crest Shield +10, and just a random assortment of light armor with Havel's ring on. They should be pretty standard stuff.

You have Richards Rapier? Against heavy armored dudes the slashing weapons (katanas, PG sword) are pretty useless you want something that has thrusting dmg. Also look for the Balder Side Sword it has a B scaling on dex.

Edit: Go farm a Silver Knight Straight Sword. Fantastic dmg and you can imbue it too.

Holden

DLC content spoiler

*Running around the sancutuary bonefire*
"oh hey a mushroom, i wonder if its some sort mushroom like over in the forest"
*Hits it with halberd*
A random scream "But whyyyyyyyy.......?"
*gains souls + see's drop*

OH WELL.

is she important?

Truant

When are you supposed to kill the red dragon? I'm stuck at Orstein and Smough at SL63, and want to do something else for a change.

I have Quelaags furysword, but doesn't it need a lot of humanity to be effective?

Fistwell

I had luck finding people right after the lordvessel cloudy stairway. People place their signs on that flat part before the first black knight.
Yeah that's where I was dropping my sign as well. Ended up getting summoned once (over a 30 min ore farming session). Game could be so much better if they just fixed the online already.

When are you supposed to kill the red dragon? I'm stuck at Orstein and Smough at SL63, and want to do something else for a change.
Go right ahead.

I have Quelaags furysword, but doesn't it need a lot of humanity to be effective?
I think it's the other one that would need H, Quelaag's chaos blade somethingorother (katana looking blade)?

mxgt

Banned

10 for max damage bonus

I've just been walking around the red dragon for like 15 hours. I cut off the tail, but I have no idea how to kill it. I can't take that much fire to the face.

GJS

I finally had enough and just summoned a guy to help me with O&S which made it easy. Now I'm being rammed by boars that I do less than 40 damage to. After co-op'ing for a while, I feel like my dex/int build is super gimp. I deal like less than half of the damage other people are doing most of the time. :sadface I must be playing this game wrong.

Those things never take high damage no matter how you attack them. Just cheese them on the entrance to the tunnel, they never come past it.

Ridley327

DLC content spoiler

*Hits it with halberd*

OH WELL.

is she important?

Elizabeth sells a bunch of spells (miracles, I think), as well as a few assorted goods, like Gold Pine Resin. She also fills you in on what's happened to Dusk of Oolacile.

Sullichin

Those things never take high damage no matter how you attack them. Just cheese them on the entrance to the tunnel, they never come past it.

They are down in 2 2HR2 attacks of a reinforced club+15. Pyromancy works too. Slashing/piercing weapons are ineffective against them.

epmode

Shouldn't this thread be renamed?

The PC port is a crime convicted by Hijinx Studios (makers of the equally horrible Silent Hill HD Collection), not From Software.
What are you talking about? Source pls. Every official story on the port that I've seen says that it's an internal From project.

Zaptruder

Banned
DLC content spoiler

*Hits it with halberd*

OH WELL.

is she important?

You killed the quest mushroom! She has such a nice granny voice too.

I cannot believe what just happened to me. I don't even know what to say about it. I set a scheduled task to run at 12:00 PM instead of AM and I was to lazy to fix it. It just bit me in the ass hard.

Jintor

Jesus christ - how do you avoid the Four King's grab attack?

Also I was counting and I'm pretty sure five kings showed up to party

Alright, I think I'm not where I'm supposed to be. Rang the first bell, met the blacksmith etc, ran past that pretty much unkillable enemy into the forest. Found a shortcut by cutting down a tree. Got the Leather armor set and a Wolf ring. Ran without knowing where I was going. Met a black knight, couldn't kill him so I ran past him into a cave with a bonfire. Now at the Valley of Drakes where I found the Brigand Armor set, but the drakes own me. I think I need to backtrack a bit lol.

krakov

Jesus christ - how do you avoid the Four King's grab attack?

Also I was counting and I'm pretty sure five kings showed up to party

You just move to the side actually, don't wait until last minute. You can get even more kings and even fewer than four if you are quick.

Alright, I think I'm not where I'm supposed to be. Rang the first bell, met the blacksmith etc, ran past that pretty much unkillable enemy into the forest. Found a shortcut by cutting down a tree. Got the Leather armor set and a Wolf ring. Ran without knowing where I was going. Met a black knight, couldn't kill him so I ran past him into a cave with a bonfire. Now at the Valley of Drakes where I found the Brigand Armor set, but the drakes own me. I think I need to backtrack a bit lol.

Go back through the valley of drakes, near a wooden small bridge there should be an opening in the rockface to enter blightown. Go down and get FUCKED UP by the dart blowers, then cross the swamp and kill miss spidertits! There, second bell rang! After all this joy and laughter, go back to the smithy and prepare to be owned by lizard dudes and indiana jones balls!

krakov

No love for the greatbows?

Also, if you have an INT build, I'd assume the Darkmoon Bow would do more damage.

Darkmoon bow scales with faith. Either way you are better of with a enchanted/occult bow of any kind. Will deal around 350 points of pure magic damage with moonlight arrows at 40 int/fai.

Artorias Defeated. He wasn't too bad but it was nice fighting a boss for the first time again. That feeling is so intense and there are no other single player games that I know of that can match it. My strategy,
keep him close to prevent him from going into his big attacks, play conservatively after he goes Super Artorias mode and make the most out of the moments when he is weaker or is powering up.
Also, his most powerful attack, activate scheduled task that removes focus from the game window at noon, is impossible to avoid.

What's the deal with the poison in Blight Town? I have a poison ring on and eat the moss that the guys in Blight Town drop, but 2 poison darts are enough to eat through 10 flasks worth of health anyway.

linko9

What's the deal with the poison in Blight Town? I have a poison ring on and eat the moss that the guys in Blight Town drop, but 2 poison darts are enough to eat through 10 flasks worth of health anyway.

Those darts inflict Toxic, which is much worse than normal poison. You need blooming purple moss to cure it. Good news is when you kill those dart spitters, they're gone forever.

Artorias Defeated. He wasn't too bad but it was nice fighting a boss for the first time again. That feeling is so intense and there are no other single player games that I know of that can match it. My strategy,
keep him close to prevent him from going into his big attacks, play conservatively after he goes Super Artorias mode and make the most out of the moments when he is weaker or is powering up.
Also, his most powerful attack, activate scheduled task that removes focus from the game window at noon, is impossible to avoid.

I did the exact opposite. I baited him into his big attacks, and constantly countered him with the claymore's post-roll attack. I especially loved that spinning lunge attack that he does, as I can get up to three attacks off on him if I have enough stamina.

Those darts inflict Toxic, which is much worse than normal poison. You need blooming purple moss to cure it. Good news is when you kill those dart spitters, they're gone forever.

Also if he's having trouble with toxic, he could always toxic himself with the dung pie from the fatties. It does way less damage over time than the toxic inflicted from enemies.

i-Lo

With regards to occult weapons, are they more effective against bosses?

Also, does anyone here generally use elemental, magic, enchanted, occult and divine weapons in general? Given the stat scaling disappears it becomes less powerful than a normally reinforced weapon that also allows you imbue them with the magic or elemental damage.

Personally, the only one I found useful is the chaos type weapon. Very effective and at least it scales with humanity.

That's TOXIC, not POISON and taking out those guys should be a priority because they do not respawn. I use a bow, if they aren't right in front of me and accept the fact that they will infect me. I take as many shots as I can before my health dips too low and I take an estus flask and continue shooting until he is dead, then I cure myself. I think the trick is not to panic because your health is draining.

IoCaster

Finally got a chance to play some more and with the help of the Witch I took down the Four Kings. It took a few tries and some adjustment to weapon loadout and tactics. Ended up using my trusty +10 Halberd (2h) and just dodged/rolled like crazy. While the Witch would distract I'd get in some opportune cheap shots when I could. Anyway, I haven't decided where to go next, but I'm feeling pretty good about things at the moment.

I did the exact opposite. I baited him into his big attacks, and constantly countered him with the claymore's post-roll attack. I especially loved that spinning lunge attack that he does, as I can get up to three attacks off on him if I have enough stamina.

That's how I fight him too. Bait the big hits, roll out of the way (because I don't use a shield), then counter with my katana. Plus when he's powering up you can stop him from doing it and get free hits by just beating on him enough during the sequence.

Sentenza

That's TOXIC, not POISON and taking out those guys should be a priority because they do not respawn. I use a bow, if they aren't right in front of me and accept the fact that they will infect me. I take as many shots as I can before my health dips too low and I take an estus flask and continue shooting until he is dead, then I cure myself. I think the trick is not to panic because your health is draining.
I never had to make anything this elaborate, to be honest.
I just stayed out of LOS and then rushed to destroy them when I had the chance.

Lucentto

Banned

You can interrupt his power up mode, if you didn't know.

renjility

Neo Member
In the latest DSfix 1.1, the texture filtering override" section has moved to the "not ready to use section" of the ini file.

Is it still possible to supersample down from 1440p to 1080p?

theta11

No love for the greatbows?

Also, if you have an INT build, I'd assume the Darkmoon Bow would do more damage.
Not really a fan of greatbows, I do use Gough's with my strength mostly for laughs. Darkmoon Bow scales with Faith but even with 40 Dex and 40 Faith it will have a higher attack rating that Black Bow of Pharis but because it has split damage it will actually do less damage.

You can interrupt his power up mode, if you didn't know.

I didn't, that probably would have been useful but it's always more satisfying to come up with your own strategy at least the first time you fight a boss.

Also, about the Soul of Artorias.
should I give it up?
I'm staring at the prompt on my screen right now and I have no idea what I should do.

juicyb

Thankfully I played a melee build for my first playthrough, but yeah, I was surprised at how much easier this game is when you can just spam spells at (most of) the bosses.

Yea my friend was doing the first boss of the DLC (the white demon thing with wings) and he had an intense fight with melee where he used like eight flasks. I walk into the fight soon after him and fire 2 crystal soul spears and he died. hahahahaha

Top Bottom