• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Johnas

Well, I gave up on O&S and called in a couple of people to co-op. Beat them first try. Meh.

Don't feel bad. I have a feeling if the truth were known, many people at least summon Solaire but don't mention it.

I actually did beat them solo my first time through, but I spent a ridiculous amount of times fighting them before I finally succeeded. I also was playing pure melee, and didn't have fire-based weapon, so I eventually reluctantly looked up how to make Quelaag's Furysword. Not as satisfying that way, but I did get it done.

When I finally got past that battle, I was still more frustrated than satisfied.

theta11

I didn't, that probably would have been useful but it's always more satisfying to come up with your own strategy at least the first time you fight a boss.

Also, about the Soul of Artorias.
should I give it up?
I'm staring at the prompt on my screen right now and I have no idea what I should do.

Depends.
She trades you 2 really good Dex weapons so if you are a high Dex build go ahead. Otherwise you can use the soul to forge another version of Artorias Greatsword (That makes 3 in all XD)

Lucentto

Banned
I didn't, that probably would have been useful but it's always more satisfying to come up with your own strategy at least the first time you fight a boss.

should I give it up?
I'm staring at the prompt on my screen right now and I have no idea what I should do.

Well.
I wouldn't, you can kill her and get all the stuff you were going to get if you gave her the soul anyway.

Ridley327

Well.
I wouldn't, you can kill her and get all the stuff you were going to get if you gave her the soul anyway.

I thought I would have been able to get my Artorias soul back if I killed her. I guessed wrong!

Oh well, her blades are quite nice, and her armor is quite the looker.

Truant

YEEEEESSS. O & S are DEAD. FINALLY.

Where do I go now?

Also, I have the following boss souls. What do I do with them?

Soul of Moonlight Butterfly
Core of an Iron Golem
Soul of Smough
Soul of Sif

Ledsen

In the latest DSfix 1.1, the texture filtering override" section has moved to the "not ready to use section" of the ini file.

Is it still possible to supersample down from 1440p to 1080p?

That setting has nothing to do with supersampling, you don't need it. It's for texture filtering and you should force that through your drivers.

So I cleared Catacombs and Tombs of the Giants after Darkroot garden just cause, and this is my first playthrough, I'm now at the orange gate sealed by lords power or whatever, am I really going to have to try and run back through the entire catacombs to get back lawl.

I haven't even done sens fortress yet.

ezekial45

Banned
So I cleared Catacombs and Tombs of the Giants after Darkroot garden just cause, and this is my first playthrough, I'm now at the orange gate sealed by lords power or whatever, am I really going to have to try and run back through the entire catacombs to get back lawl.

I haven't even done sens fortress yet.

Yes, you have to get the Lordvessal from Anor Londo (past Sen's Fortress) and light the flame underneath Firelink Shrine to pass the orange gates. Sorry, you'll have to head back. It sucks, I know. It happened to me too.

Yes, you have to get the Lordvessal from Anor Londo (past Sen's Fortress) and light the flame underneath Firelink Shrine to pass the orange gates. Sorry, you'll have to head back. It sucks, I know. It happened to me too.

Lol I don't think I'm going to make it through that blackness.

renjility

Neo Member
That setting has nothing to do with supersampling, you don't need it. It's for texture filtering and you should force that through your drivers.

I'm confused - why does option 1 on that setting mention supersampling?

I'm currently using 2560x1440 rendering resolution in the ini file. Is that all I need for supersampling on my 1080p monitor?

Grimadin

Neo Member
Also, I have the following boss souls. What do I do with them?

Soul of Moonlight Butterfly
Core of an Iron Golem
Soul of Smough
Soul of Sif

You can either eat them for souls or use them to create weapons, usually the one that the boss was using.

Eusis

You can either eat them for souls or use them to create weapons, usually the one that the boss was using.
Using them for souls is a terrible idea by the way until your 3rd or 4th run. It's something the guide for Demon's Souls strongly warned against doing, and you can always just grind the souls out anyway if you need them that badly (assuming you aren't ignoring the countless soul items you otherwise get anyway).
Stupid red dragon in new game+, I thought I was invincible
I looked up strategies, and red tearstone + highly buffed composite bow did the trick, I imagine the same applies to the Dragon Slayer Bow. Frustrating it's so hard to dodge and right in front of a covenant though.

Haunted

Darkmoon bow scales with faith. Either way you are better of with a enchanted/occult bow of any kind. Will deal around 350 points of pure magic damage with moonlight arrows at 40 int/fai.
Not really a fan of greatbows, I do use Gough's with my strength mostly for laughs. Darkmoon Bow scales with Faith but even with 40 Dex and 40 Faith it will have a higher attack rating that Black Bow of Pharis but because it has split damage it will actually do less damage.
Ah, interesting.

wutwutwut

The two at the bottom before the "bridge"? Mmm, that might work, I hope they don't follow me.

edit: Ok, it works. They get stuck at the bridge. Thanks :)
I got past those archers by simply running up to the right one and convincing him (her?) to fall off. The left one's really easy after that.

Arsin

I am at my wits end here GAF. I have been trying to summon people to help with O&S, but no matter what I do I have not seen a summon sign for days. I have tried just about everything I can think of and nothing is working. I have done all the port forwarding, all the firewall stuff, restarted the game countless times, and I even got a new IP address and nothing seems to be working. I have been able to summon in the past, but today and yesterday not a single summon sign is in my game. I am pretty close to just giving up and moving on from the game. Does anyone have any tips that might be able to help me out?

I have done all the GFWL tweaks too.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I am at my wits end here GAF. I have been trying to summon people to help with O&S, but no matter what I do I have not seen a summon sign for days. I have tried just about everything I can think of and nothing is working. I have done all the port forwarding, all the firewall stuff, restarted the game countless times, and I even got a new IP address and nothing seems to be working. I have been able to summon in the past, but today and yesterday not a single summon sign is in my game. I am pretty close to just giving up and moving on from the game. Does anyone have any tips that might be able to help me out?

I have done all the GFWL tweaks too.
Are you in human form

Grief.exe

Just beat the game. I did literally everything, every optional area, every covenant, got all the rare weapons I could, etc. I invaded as a Dark Wraith probably 100 times, learning the ins and outs of PVP. Helped people out as a sunbro probably around 10 times.

For Achievements, ended up with all the upgrade weapons (except Chaos), all the covenants, and all of the pyromancies.

Clocked in at just over 80 hours. I can't wait to start a new character as INT/DEX, my current one is VIT/END and then started leveling strength near the end.

I can't believe how much better I've gotten, when I started I could barely handle more than one skeleton. Now I dominated the DLC content,
Artorias best fight in the game
and parried the Final Boss easily, took me 3 attempts, and the final one I didn't get hit once.

One of my favorite games of all time.

Are you in human form

And what SL are you? Its really not that hard of a fight, if you can't find anyone just practice and you will get it down.
You can always summon Solaire as well.

Dizzy-4U

Hopefully, you didn't get killed before reaching the bonfire, because they make it really easy for that to happen with the way they place the silver knights and with that particular part of Anor Londo being an invasion hotspot.
T9bFa.jpg

Ridley327

Huzzah!

If you beat a certain knight in the Undead Burg at the bottom of the tower, make sure to check out the basement by the bonfire, as his armor set will be down there, along with other fun goodies.

Arsin

Are you in human form

Yes I did make sure of that. I have had some HERP-DERP moments, so I did make sure that I am in human form.

And what SL are you? Its really not that hard of a fight, if you can't find anyone just practice and you will get it down.
You can always summon Solaire as well.

I am SL 47. I have tried to do it with Sol Bro, but had a pretty hard time with it. If I can't get anyone else into my game, I guess I will just have to keep trying with him.

Grief.exe

Yes I did make sure of that. I have had some HERP-DERP moments, so I did make sure that I am in human form.

I am SL 47. I have tried to do it with Sol Bro, but had a pretty hard time with it. If I can't get anyone else into my game, I guess I will just have to keep trying with him.

We've talked about that fight so many times in this thread, I'm sure you can go back and see a lot of strategies.

Kill Smough last, makes the fight easier since he telegraphs his moves and they are seriously easy to dodge. Use the lightning spear from sens and go two hand against him.

Ornstein telegraphs his moves as well, either block or dodge his strikes and then light him up with a fire weapon. Keep Ornstein on lock at all times and just watch Smough out of the corner of your eye.

Are any of the whips decent when upgraded? I got really excited when I found one, but it's only good against un-armored opponents, and even then does 20 damage. I wish I could carry a chair in the other hand instead of a shield.

Also, I got far enough down in Blight Town that when I fell off I didn't die from the fall.
I was mobbed by giant spiders instead.

Leezard

Are any of the whips decent when upgraded? I got really excited when I found one, but it's only good against un-armored opponents, and even then does 20 damage. I wish I could carry a chair in the other hand instead of a shield.

Also, I got far enough down in Blight Town that when I fell off I didn't die from the fall.
I was mobbed by giant spiders instead.

The whips look cool when on fire, but I think they are pretty much useless. The thorned whip is a tad bit better than the regular one at least.

the online in this game is totally broken. after 60+ hours on this character I've never been summoned or successfully summoned someone else for co-op. after activating the blue orb maybe 200 times I've yet to actually invade anyone. even tried the cracked red eye orbs to see if it was just a darkmoon covenant issue, but no dice. and in all that time I've only been invaded twice despite being human maybe 80% of the time.

pretty disappointing. if there were ever a case for creating a dedicated server and a gfwl removal tool this game is it.

Gvaz

Banned

should I give it up?

Talk to ciran, kill her, keep the tracers and the armor she has and you keep your soul.

Then go make an abyss greatsword!

I just beat the capra demon, and unlocked the door to the depths i think it is? (down the stairs past those 2 ninja guys). I beat the gargoyle boss already, am i going the right way?

Also, is it normal that i haven't found any better replacements for my wanderer armour yet? I'm guessing im not that far into the game yet and the better items are yet to come.

aFIGurANT

the online in this game is totally broken. after 60+ hours on this character I've never been summoned or successfully summoned someone else for co-op. after activating the blue orb maybe 200 times I've yet to actually invade anyone. even tried the cracked red eye orbs to see if it was just a darkmoon covenant issue, but no dice. and in all that time I've only been invaded twice despite being human maybe 80% of the time.

pretty disappointing. if there were ever a case for creating a dedicated server and a gfwl removal tool this game is it.

Weird, the cracked red eye orbs were like 95% successful for me in the painted world and anor londo. I do agree that summon signs aren't working well at all however.

KarmaCow

I just beat the capra demon, and unlocked the door to the depths i think it is? (down the stairs past those 2 ninja guys). I beat the gargoyle boss already, am i going the right way?

Also, is it normal that i haven't found any better replacements for my wanderer armour yet? I'm guessing im not that far into the game yet and the better items are yet to come.

Yea you're going the right way. You can go somewhere else but it's probably best for later.

As for armour, it really just depends on what you consider better though I don't think there is much where you are anyway.

Top Bottom