• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ridley327

It applies to the special NPC invaders and to the guy you meet when you use the Black Eye Stone.

Then how does Havel's armor come off if he's still alive?!

Although I guess there's a bigger issue of how some guy underneath a sewer is able to procure the armors of bosses as soon as you defeat them.

Zeliard

Havel's backstory is pretty fun.

The guy's not the world's biggest fan of magic, dragons, and especially magical dragons.

Dresden

Although I guess there's a bigger issue of how some guy underneath a sewer is able to procure the armors of bosses as soon as you defeat them.

The flow of time is distorted, and shards of existence often mesh into one another. In one world an undead Havel lurks at the bottom of a tower, ready to smush newbies into the ground; in another universe, he perished long before, and his armor was stored in the keeps of Anor Londo.

Or something.

Leezard

The flow of time is distorted, and shards of existence often mesh into one another. In one world an undead Havel lurks at the bottom of a tower, ready to smush newbies into the ground; in another universe, he perished long before, and his armor was stored in the keeps of Anor Londo.

Or something.

It's totally the real Havel. The one you fight is just a poser.
nobody knows

Well. It happened. Gamesave was deleted and then I found I had set Gamesave Manager incorrectly and recovered a gamesave over a week old and nearly 19 hours behind my first one. I know need to go through the depths, blight town, darkroot garden and basin, sens fortress and nearly half of the painted world. Im so disheartened by this I might just roll a new character...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
the online in this game is totally broken. after 60+ hours on this character I've never been summoned or successfully summoned someone else for co-op. after activating the blue orb maybe 200 times I've yet to actually invade anyone. even tried the cracked red eye orbs to see if it was just a darkmoon covenant issue, but no dice. and in all that time I've only been invaded twice despite being human maybe 80% of the time.

pretty disappointing. if there were ever a case for creating a dedicated server and a gfwl removal tool this game is it.

Imagine a GAF server for Dark Souls, where we could summon and invade each other. That would be cool. Imagine functional online. That would also be cool.

Vaporak

If you haven't noticed, time is not exactly linear in Lordron.

Ridley327

Imagine a GAF server for Dark Souls, where we could summon and invade each other. That would be cool. Imagine functional online. That would also be cool.

That would be SO COOL, especially if we can make sure that we get BS lag-assisted backstabs under control.

Really need help, I'm stuck at Anor Londo where you get the second bonfire (Rotating bridge). I cannot seem to get past the 2 steel giants/ 3 demons... Any tips or anything? I would leave here and mine but I don't even know how to leave and would rather just get past this and never come back

gogogow

Really need help, I'm stuck at Anor Londo where you get the second bonfire (Rotating bridge). I cannot seem to get past the 2 steel giants/ 3 demons... Any tips or anything? I would leave here and mine but I don't even know how to leave and would rather just get past this and never come back

If you have trouble with the 2 steel giants and demons....just wait when you get past them....it's not gonna be fun.....

But my tip is to lure away one steel giant and keep rotating around him, block and attack.

If you want to leave Anor Londo, just go all the way back where the demons dropped you off and talk to the demon there, he will take you back to Sen's Fortress.

Zeliard

The giant knights are super-slow and telegraph everything, and you can go through their legs to swipe at them after they go into an attack, and just roll away when they do their AOE.

The demons stagger very easily so if you get one hit on them you can finish them off fairly quickly with successive hits. They do lightning damage so try to roll away from their hits since your shield isn't going to block the full damage.

Try to pull one of these enemies at a time.

Hq2tjl.jpg

Mm, here they are. I sorta messed up going 25 int when crystal magic weapon was still a bit away. I have weapons Iaito +10, Painting Guardian Sword +10, Black Bow of Pharis +10, Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, Grass Crest Shield +10, and just a random assortment of light armor with Havel's ring on. They should be pretty standard stuff.

You might also want to invest in a heavy weapon, to get some solid hits in. You've got the stats to use a Claymore, and if you ascend it to an elemental weapon (lighting is my favorite) you don't have to worry about putting further points in STR since elementals don't scale. While doing that, read up on some Dex weapons, experiment with them and either ascend them elementally or to their max +15.

Also, put some points into Attunement, if you've got 25 INT you'll wanna have more than 2 magic slots.

arit

Item description go!

Havel's ITEM

ITEM worn by Havel the Rock's warriors.
Carved from solid rock, their tremendous weight
is matched only by the defense it provides.

Havel's warriors never flinched nor retreated
from battle. Those unfortunate enough to face
them were inevitably beaten to a pulp.

So no reason to not having some armors stocked in some chests.

ArjanN

You can just run by the two giant knights. They only chase you a small distance and then return to their normal place.

And you should really try to finish Anor Londo, because at the end you get the option to teleport between bonfires.

Ridley327

Is there a best order to do the stuff after Anor Londo or is the difficulty even on all the newly opened areas?

It's pretty open as far as I can tell; one of the areas will be pretty damn hard to navigate safely without a particular piece of head equipment and/or if you're not a sorcerer, but they're designed to be fairly even as far as the general difficulty is concerned.

Portugeezer

Ended up uninstalling the game. It's a good game, 5 hours in and I was enjoying the combat, but it's just too harsh for me. I don't feel the game respects my time, after a hard days work I come back and do 1 hour in the same small area only to then explore and die and get spawned back at a bonfire every time, then have a hard job just to get the souls back.

Not for me.

Trying to think if it's worth it to uprade my Iaito +10 to Lighting, +15 or Chaos Blade. Hmmm......

+15 if you have high DEX. If you don't mind losing HP every time you hit something, having to run around with 10+ Humanity in your meter at all times and a garbage RT/R2 attack, Chaos Blade for the extra oomph.

Lightning sucks compared to straight stat weapons if your DEX is high.

Vaporak

Joined the forest hunters, put on the cat ring, and not getting summoned. >.>
I hate how broken the online in this is, maybe I'll go try the darkmoons.

Trying to think if it's worth it to uprade my Iaito +10 to Lighting, +15 or Chaos Blade. Hmmm......

Depends.

If you're low SL or have low DEX, Lightning.
If you have 30-40 (shouldn't go higher than this) DEX, +15.
If you have high DEX as above, and don't mind the minor annoyance of losing 20 HP a hit in exchange for longer reach and more power, Chaos Blade.

I always roll Chaos Blade myself.

Tilian

Banned
Joined the forest hunters, put on the cat ring, and not getting summoned. >.>
I hate how broken the online in this is, maybe I'll go try the darkmoons.

Darkmoon is much worse. In 50 uses of the blue orb, not one bite for me. Others have said the same.

The forest covenant does work, it just takes 5-10 mins, at least for me. Often quicker. The forest remains one of the most active arenas in the game.

Eusis

You can buy Uchigatanas and Washing Poles from the Forest covenant merchant, so I'd personally take the Iaito to +15 or Lightning and buy one of those other two to make into a Chaos Blade.

What is this about saves being deleted? I just started last night and just got to the depths. I would flip shit if my save vanished. I have the backup enabled in Durante's fix luckily so I'm not too concerned. Just wondering if it's a GFWL thing or what?

What is this about saves being deleted? I just started last night and just got to the depths. I would flip shit if my save vanished. I have the backup enabled in Durante's fix luckily so I'm not too concerned. Just wondering if it's a GFWL thing or what?

If you Alt+F4 when the games saving or checking the saves you'll mess the saves up.
GFWL has nothing to do with this since it's just a unprotected save file written by the game.

Zaptruder

Banned

The one time I had my 'saves deleted', I simply quit (without starting a new game or doing anything else) and relaunched the game and they were back there. So... YMMV!

oh wait, I did have one other extremely weird online experience the other night.

I was in the garden farming souls in human form. the glitch feels way too cheap to me so I always use the ring of fog and slumbering dragoncrest rings to butt-stab farm them instead. suddenly I was summoned into another game with two other people to fight a forest invader... who nobody could find.

apparently that's a bug with the ring of fog since it acts as a replacement for the forest covenant ring once you earn enough rep.

Weird, the cracked red eye orbs were like 95% successful for me in the painted world and anor londo. I do agree that summon signs aren't working well at all however.

no dice in anor londo for me, though it's one of the two places I've been invaded myself (the other being the depths). haven't tried the painted world but I don't have a lot of confidence that it's going to work after my experiences to date. in my case there's the fact that I'm in australia to consider, though my two invaders were both from the usa so it's obviously not that picky.

the really annoying part is that I was looking forward to some darkmoon covenant roleplay but my blue orb might as well be a paperweight.

functional would be a lovely change of pace. there's a lot of other little things you could do too, like actual working cheat protection and allowing people to leave typed messages which persist on the serverside. my mouth is watering.

Or something.

this explanation pleases and intrigues me.

Vaporak

Darkmoon is much worse. In 50 uses of the blue orb, not one bite for me. Others have said the same.

The forest covenant does work, it just takes 5-10 mins, at least for me. Often quicker. The forest remains one of the most active arenas in the game.

So either it's a big coincidence or there's been a change in the forest hunters for the new release. On the wiki it says the cat coventant ring works from anywhere, but I wasn't getting any summons but as soon as I've gone back to the darkroot garden I've been getting summoned roughly once a minute. Has anyone been summoned while they were outside the darkroot garden?

rybrad

Is there a shortcut to the boss in New Londo Ruins? Running through all that crap each time is awful. I am going in through valley of the drakes but it still sucks.

Leezard

Is there a shortcut to the boss in New Londo Ruins? Running through all that crap each time is awful. I am going in through valley of the drakes but it still sucks.
I take the way from firelink and jump off the platform near the stairs where you fight the first ghosts. It's close, and few enemies.

Ridley327

I take the way from firelink and jump off the platform near the stairs where you fight the first ghosts. It's close, and few enemies.

Yeah, that place isn't nearly as big as you think it is once the water's drained.

I still need whatever it is I need to go through the fog door safely, but I should be getting that done tonight.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Going in through the Valley is a pretty roundabout road. If you enter via Firelink then drop down to the right of the stairs going up in the first ghost area you'll be right next to the boss door.

This positively antediluvian video shows an onion knight taking the fastest route to the boss.

Finalow

forest covenant never worked for me, also it has a bug that if you get summoned in a dude's world and he's like at ng++ and you're at the first run you'll get the difficulty of ng++, happened to me in the console version. dunno if they fixed it.

I'm trying to invade with the red orb but it just doesn't work.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
alright so whoever said the 4K boss was harder than O&S was trolling me :I ... either that or talking about NG+++ or something...

rybrad

Going in through the Valley is a pretty roundabout road. If you enter via Firelink then drop down to the right of the stairs going up in the first ghost area you'll be right next to the boss door.

This positively antediluvian video shows an onion knight taking the fastest route to the boss.
Thanks for the input, I actually killed them on my next attempt thankfully. I am going to go check that shortcut out so I know for next time though, because that was annoying going through all of that stuff.

Edit: Wow just watched that video and learned you don't have to be cursed to fight them...

Vaporak

forest covenant never worked for me, also it has a bug that if you get summoned in a dude's world and he's like at ng++ and you're at the first run you'll get the difficulty of ng++, happened to me in the console version. dunno if they fixed it.

I'm trying to invade with the red orb but it just doesn't work.

Did you try using at Alvina's place? I've had the ring on outside the darkroot garden and it wasn't working, but now I'm just hanging out with Alvina and Shiva and getting summoned pretty much constantly.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
alright so whoever said the 4K boss was harder than O&S was trolling me :I ... either that or talking about NG+++ or something...

How much trouble the big four are your first time through depends pretty heavily on your build. Some characters are just completely ill-suited to a DPS race on their first playthrough, and those builds run into a lot of trouble.

They do start getting zany as you start tacking on the pluses, though. It's the only boss fight in the game that's on a sort of soft timer, which makes boosting their HP and damage output far more threatening than, say, the Gaping Dragon, who's always going to be a gormless, easily-kited sad-sack no matter how much HP you give him. It doesn't matter if you've mastered dodging the Kings' attacks if you can't work in enough damage in the meantime to keep from being overwhelmed.

Top Bottom