• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Alastor

Careful with that, though. Make sure to run the fuck away when she puts her head down, that's her telegraphing her devastating Aoe attack.

Yeah, I think I died because of it at least twice but didn't really get what is the visual clue there. Doesn't help that she looks creepy as hell and I don't want to look at her at all.

Edit: I mean, the whole spider part. The chest is nice.

Head down.
Got it.
I'm sure I'll be ok now.

or not

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Legging it works? I could just try that, I'm just afraid that one'll ram me from behind. I'm on a melee-based build and waiting for the skeletons to get bored scratching at the ledge so I can pick them off with arrows takes a crazy amount of time.
Those are probably my most hated enemies in the entire game, and I can tell you that legging it works ZERO percent of the time. Always get nicked from behind, and if one catches you, there's a good chance the others will follow right up. There's a tiny bit of hope if you have decent poise, but even then I wouldn't recommend it.

What I normally do is drop down to where the knight is waiting, then to the ledge just below that. If you hang around on that ledge, you'll pull a good 3-4 of them, which will all keep grinding into the wall below you. A well-placed drop attack with a moderately-sized weapon will take them all out in one go, and you should only suffer a minor health loss.

There'll still be some stragglers out there, but it's much easier to aggro them one by one.

Alastor

What I normally do is drop down to where the knight is waiting, then to the ledge just below that. If you hang around on that ledge, you'll pull a good 3-4 of them, which will all keep grinding into the wall below you. A well-placed drop attack with a moderately-sized weapon will take them all out in one go, and you should only suffer a minor health loss.

There'll still be some stragglers out there, but it's much easier to aggro them one by one.

That's how I do it too, except that I carefully go near the ledge, lock on one skeleton and kill it with a magic arrow. Repeat for others.

I have to assume he's a hacker

I wish there was at least a player name visible, so we could make a list of those.

Miroku

OK Finally got super pissed at this game tonight. I made it to Smogg & Ornstein and decided to go human and try to summon some folks, and it refused to summon any of the ten or twenty people I tried, and I get invaded and killed not once, but twice by the same guy who wasn't even any good, I kept hitting him with my zweihander and it didn't do any damage at all. WTF. I used indictments on him but I didn't lose any from my inventory so I have to assume he's a hacker.

FtHTiny

OK Finally got super pissed at this game tonight. I made it to Smogg & Ornstein and decided to go human and try to summon some folks, and it refused to summon any of the ten or twenty people I tried, and I get invaded and killed not once, but twice by the same guy who wasn't even any good, I kept hitting him with my zweihander and it didn't do any damage at all. WTF. I used indictments on him but I didn't lose any from my inventory so I have to assume he's a hacker.

Indictment has infinite uses so it won´t go away after using it.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Those are probably my most hated enemies in the entire game, and I can tell you that legging it works ZERO percent of the time. Always get nicked from behind, and if one catches you, there's a good chance the others will follow right up. There's a tiny bit of hope if you have decent poise, but even then I wouldn't recommend it.

Good tip, pyro also works very well for this strategy, especially Chaos stuff. You can do the same thing for the "fast way" down to the boss where you pick up the armor set.

Other than that, coming from the blacksmith or in the
Painted World
the strategy is always to aggro one, then roll away, chase after and kill.

Sarcasm

Yay beat the spider fire chick! Rang the bell too. Though think I made a mistake in that secret room with the non fire soft chick. I asked the undead with eggs in the path right before it opens and an npc said finally...I walk in and all I see if that spider chick....did I kill a npc?

FtHTiny

Yay beat the spider fire chick! Rang the bell too. Though think I made a mistake in that secret room with the non fire soft chick. I asked the undead with eggs in the path right before it opens and an npc said finally...I walk in and all I see if that spider chick....did I kill a npc?

Did you kill the guy with the eggs or the spider girl? If yes you killed a npc.

Ridley327

Newsflash to invaders: if I'm on NG+, chances are good that I'm well aware of the enemy spawns that you're trying to lead me into. I know that I can get fucked up by a group of undead, which is why I'm kiting them while you're healing it up. Use a humanity, heal up, and see if you can come up with something better than your dinky flame spell and a rapier.

SPOILER ALERT: He didn't.

Ridley327

That's how I do it too, except that I carefully go near the ledge, lock on one skeleton and kill it with a magic arrow. Repeat for others.

I wish there was at least a player name visible, so we could make a list of those.

If the alleged cheater is the last person you played with, their name will show up on top of the Players list when you hit the guide button. It's certainly the best place to start.

Vaporak

Think I just had my first lag backstab. Was about to go fight Smough and Ornstein when a black phantom invaded. During the fight I was rolling around and a good distance away from him, when suddenly the backstab animation was being played with him behind me. :/

Ridley327

You know, I appreciate the Souls team for wanting to unite the continents with the game, but the netcode just isn't there to make it work through p2p. Hopefully, Dark Souls 2 finds them figuring out how to get a server to work with their worldwide ambitions.

Zeliard

Man, these new players are a ruthless bunch.

Also I forgot how hilarious it is to sit in front of Seath's area and just watch cursed player statues keep popping up.

FtHTiny

Good damn it...but he was during in middle the one I attacked a was laying down likea the ones I saw previously.. .does he go any where? I am screwed......

He is gone for this playthrough, but he isn´t really important anyway.
#1 rule, if something doesn´t attack right away, try not to kill it right now!

Vaporak

Damnit, I got invaded in Anor Londo and Solair got caught in the cross fire and now he's pissed at me. I don't wanna kill him and I think paying a ton of souls to the confessor guy should unagro Solair, but in the mean time is there any way to get solair out of Anor Londo so I can use the bonfire, or do I have to grind up the souls elsewhere. :/

zkylon

zkylewd
Damnit, I got invaded in Anor Londo and Solair got caught in the cross fire and now he's pissed at me. I don't wanna kill him and I think paying a ton of souls to the confessor guy should unagro Solair, but in the mean time is there any way to get solair out of Anor Londo so I can use the bonfire, or do I have to grind up the souls elsewhere. :/
Probably just beat S&O, but I'm not sure. At level ~55 you gotta pay about 30k souls, I speak from experience :(

Dizzy-4U

Just killed Thelma & Louise. Pretty intense fight, it lasted like 15 minutes. One of my favorite fights so far.

2XkkA.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
oh Andrei is all man, there's no denying that. plus he doesn't want to see me go hollow which is kind of sweet really.
Easily the nicest NPC in the game. When I reached that bonfire and him for the very first time, it was like I had run into Santa Claus. Tears of joy streaming down my face...

"Saint" is right.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just killed Thelma & Louise. Pretty intense fight, it lasted like 15 minutes. One of my favorite fights so far.
lol that spear looks so tiny compared to your ridiculously giantic armor.

Easily the nicest NPC in the game. When I reached that bonfire and him for the very first time, it was like I had run into Santa Claus. Tears of joy streaming down my face...

"Saint" is right.
I dunno, Onion knight is pretty alright too and the blacksmith in Anor Londo has earned his "charmer ahead" messages.

And then there's the one and only Solaire, the bro of bros.

Enkidu

So serious question, why does almost no one talk to the NPC's in this game. One of the most frequent complaints I've heard about this game is that it doesn't tell you where to go. See: newbies walking into the graveyard/new Londo and getting pissy. Yet the very first NPC you see in Firelink tells you exactly where to go.
He doesn't really though. When you first talk to him he just tells you to go up to the Undead Church or down to Blighttown, but gives no indication where they are. He then tells you to go and ring the bells and with no indication that he has more to say. In fact, since it takes a while before the talk prompt appears again it's pretty easy to just wander off and be just as confused as before. If you do stick around and listen to all the tutorial stuff he has to say, he will eventually mention that to get to the undead church you must go through the undead burg by going up the stairs and through the waterway. Again though, he's not very specific about where this is or how far away the waterway is, and Firelink is pretty full of stairs as it is so it can still be hard to know where to go.

That's of course assuming you realize that you must go for the top bell first, since it's not very clear that you must do them in order.

Anteater

I die the lamest deaths in this game, I killed a few drakes, thought there was a road down the side of the cliff so I went to look only to slide to my death, thought I'd just run back really quick to recover them so I dashed to the nearest elevator but I forgot to activate it first
KuGsj.gif

bye 30k of souls!

Truant

Crystal Caves is such a lame area. I actually didn't mind Duke's Archives. I don't know why people hate it, it's short.

Think I'm skipping Crystal Cave for now and heading to the catacombs to level up.

Also, I'm torn between my Balder Side Sword or my Fury Sword?

Should I go BSW +15 or Fury Sword +5?

I have the mats for both, but I also want to use some of the chunks and slabs to upgrade my Elite Armor set. Is it worth doing +10 on this set? Should I just go for another set and spend the mats on the +15 sword?

DECISIONS!!!!!!

Sarcasm

Crystal Caves is such a lame area. I actually didn't mind Duke's Archives. I don't know why people hate it, it's short.

Think I'm skipping Crystal Cave for now and heading to the catacombs to level up.

I have the mats for both, but I also want to use some of the chunks and slabs to upgrade my Elite Armor set. Is it worth doing +10 on this set? Should I just go for another set and spend the mats on the +15 sword?

DECISIONS!!!!!!
How about you give me the side sword.

derwalde

DECISIONS!!!!!!

baller sword all the way!

Reuenthal

Banned
I constantly lose my souls after I kill minibosses or bosses I guess I need to practice more restraint and returning to bonfires more often.

Hzoltan69

Damn you, Sen! Inched my way through the fortress to within an arm's reach of the bonfire when three snake-men jump me from three different directions. I need some away time now...

DeVeAn

I assume just know one was on but I am SL 50 and was in the forest and every attempt to invade failed. Do I have to do something to GFWL? I mean I summoned people earlier.

Top Bottom