• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Haunted

Balder Side Sword is terrible. Silver Knight Straight Sword is much better than I thought.

Why are the two whips even in the game? They're both garbage. :(

http://imgur.com/a/J4cfB

Somehow Lautrec looks exactly as I pictured him.
That's cool, the wiki did have Siegline and Siegmeyer and some others (by manipulating the camera) but these shots are much cleaner.

I want to see what Marvelous Chester looks like.

edit: Iron Tarkus looks like Christopher Lambert.

vmNza.jpg

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Balder Side Sword is terrible. Silver Knight Straight Sword is much better than I thought.

Why are the two whips even in the game? They're both garbage. :(

That's cool, the wiki did have Siegline and Siegmeyer and some others (by manipulating the camera) but these shots are much cleaner.

I want to see what Marvelous Chester looks like.

Chester seems to use a custom model and not the standard human model. He's got a whole unique animation set and everything. Don't think any amount of futzing with helmet data will get rid of his smiley face.

Haunted

Chester seems to use a custom model and not the standard human model. He's got a whole unique animation set and everything. Don't think any amount of futzing with helmet data will get rid of his smiley face.
:(
No.

It's low weight, scales great with dex, is fast attacking and has a well rounded moveset. How exactly is it terrible?
I guess I'm not a stabby kind of guy.

Why do you have to go for the top bell first? I've done it both ways multiple times and nothing changes or is broken AFAIK.
I think he just means that it's obviously easier and the "intended" path through the game.

Ledsen

Why do you have to go for the top bell first? I've done it both ways multiple times and nothing changes or is broken AFAIK.

I guess as a new player the process of even getting to Blighttown would ruin you if you didn't have the play experience from the 'burg and parish first.

Finally Solo'd O&S (Smough first), I needed help when I did it on PS3 but this time I swore to do it alone. It took me around 20 tries with me losing with Super Ornstein having like 10hp left TWICE ( I raged hard). But this time I took it calmly and slowly and was a cakewalk. On to new content!!

woah

Balder Side Sword = insane

got one early in the playthrough finally just to see why its so revered. Expected to be underwhelmed after prior character had a katana form the undead merchant which I thought was fantastic.

But BSS - wow, insane damage, moveset and range for such a light, fast weapon. was one hit killing the tree things.

Story of how I got was bizarre, I wanted to try this weapon out because its recommended by a youtube player I have seen a bunch. So even with 10+ humanity I must have tried 50 times (200 kills) on those initial 4 undead elite guards near the firelink shrink and no luck. I dont know if its a coincidence, but the last 6 or 7 runs had not a single drop at all so I wonderred if the game has some kind of anti-farming process to prevent people just killing a small group of enemies over and over.

so I moved on to a new area, finally returned in the same direction and FIRST TIME first enemy dropped BSS. Man I am so happy with this weapon!

There's been a breakthrough!!!

After dying hundreds of times, I've finally killed the Taurus Demon (yeah, ladder trick, so what?). Then I killed the boar first try! Now these fast dudes are demolishing me.

There's been a breakthrough!!!

After dying hundreds of times, I've finally killed the Taurus Demon (yeah, ladder trick, so what?). Then I killed the boar first try! Now these fast dudes are demolishing me.

do you have magic? also, if they drop balder side sword upgrade it and demolish them with their own weapon!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Entering from Valley of the Drakes would be horrible for a first-time player D:
I took the game to a friend's house; he chose the master key and somehow ended up going that exact route on his very first attempt xD

He had absolutely no clue. It was hilarious watching him wander straight into one of the most hostile environments. Running through the big ogre dudes, missing ladders because of the darkness and framerate, getting spewed on by bugs, and finally ending up at the bottom where he was swiftly set upon by those horrid fire bugs... poor guy.

Those helm-less pics are really cool by the way. Thanks for sharing.

I think the master key should only be unlockable option and not available from the start (unlock when finish a playthrough, or after X hours of gameplay or something).

Partly because beginners can get so lost and end up in way too dangerous places (given how little guidance the game gives to people where to go)

But also because there are so many good weapons, shields and other items right at the start of the game (using master key to drakes) that you spoil the discovery of the game. For example, there are a huge amount of regular weapons in the game, but with master key you can get a weapon right at the beginning that makes all regular weapons pale in comparison (until you upgrade them much later on).

Similar reason, I didn't get Drake sword and the game has been much more for fun for me.

Sarcasm

I think the master key should only be unlockable option and not available from the start (unlock when finish a playthrough, or after X hours of gameplay or something).

Partly because beginners can get so lost and end up in way too dangerous places (given how little guidance the game gives to people where to go)

But also because there are so many good weapons, shields and other items right at the start of the game (using master key to drakes) that you spoil the discovery of the game. For example, there are a huge amount of regular weapons in the game, but with master key you can get a weapon right at the beginning that makes all regular weapons pale in comparison (until you upgrade them much later on).

Similar reason, I didn't get Drake sword and the game has been much more for fun for me.

You don't need the mastery key to get the drake sword...and DS isn't really good its just powerful for starting out til you improve some reg weapons.

----------------------------------------------

For summoning its 10 levels up and 10 levels down? Say I am 50 - so I can summon 40-60? Can they drop items?

Valygar

I'm trying to stay unspoilered GAF, but I think I should share this and ask a question...

I got the Darkmoon ring somewhere, and then...

Reading the description, I decided to go back to Anor Londo and investigate. I remembered some statues resembling the one in the catacombs. When I warped, there was a bonfire named Darkmoon something, so of course I went there.

When I used the ring, well, the big statue disappeared. I advanced, and then Gwyndolyn spoke and told me to join a Covenant. I accepted, and since I'm stupid, I decided to take a chance and see what the hell was ahead the fog.

Gwyndolyn was quite mad about it, and he attacked. Now it was me or a God, no coming back... so I decided to fight.

Eventually I won, and I was like... what the fuck did I do? There are some rewards, but now the bonfire keeper was also mad at me. And I just wanted to be a good guy, but a bit curious!

My question is... Are there more consequences? Dark Souls does not strike me as a strong story dependant game, but I don't know if I've "broken" some part of the game, or if I'm now destined to be some kind of demon.

I already went to see Gwynvere (if that's really her, the ring mentions there was only one god there) and nothing happened, it was just the same as before, but I don't know...

Sarcasm

Also..about that is there a max level when summons stop working (like they do atm but yea know what I mean)? Cause I read people stop lvling @ 60...

Also..about that is there a max level when summons stop working (like they do atm but yea know what I mean)? Cause I read people stop lvling @ 60...

There seems to be a MASSIVE dropoff after around 60. It's really frustrating as your only options for convenient souls are PvP, coop, or dealing with bed of chaos and then moving on to NG+ (and I'm trying to avoid going to NG+ on some characters until I have enough souls for all pyromancies, misc purchases so I can pick up another set after completing the game).

Crystal Caves is such a lame area. I actually didn't mind Duke's Archives. I don't know why people hate it, it's short.

Think I'm skipping Crystal Cave for now and heading to the catacombs to level up.

Also, I'm torn between my Balder Side Sword or my Fury Sword?

Should I go BSW +15 or Fury Sword +5?

I have the mats for both, but I also want to use some of the chunks and slabs to upgrade my Elite Armor set. Is it worth doing +10 on this set? Should I just go for another set and spend the mats on the +15 sword?

DECISIONS!!!!!!

Crystal Caverns is super easy, I can run through it straight to the boss in a matter of seconds. Tip: pay attention to where the snow-flakes fall.

Sarcasm

There seems to be a MASSIVE dropoff after around 60. It's really frustrating as your only options for convenient souls are PvP, coop, or dealing with bed of chaos and then moving on to NG+ (and I'm trying to avoid going to NG+ on some characters until I have enough souls for all pyromancies, misc purchases so I can pick up another set after completing the game).

I am getting worried about this..maybe I should stop too but that means I won't be able to get my VIT and END at 40.

Screw that, that is the sort of 'hand-holding' that this game does not need added.

If people want to do a speed-item run, why stop them? One of the great things about this game is that it allows you to play how you want to play, not how the creators tell you to play.

Too many games put you on rails and say 'here, play this way - and only this way, and within OUR vision' and any attempt to deviate from that is a smack in the face.

Dark Souls lets you run around however you want. Want to do a low-level SL1 challenge run? have fun. Want to do a power-run and grab all the best gear early on? Have at it. Want to try a 'non-standard' route through the game? go for it.

I picked the master key on the PS3 version and did a fairly blind-run --- I loved doing the item dash, figuring out where to go and where to avoid. Entering blight town, promptly getting flattented and thinking 'well .. maybe I'll come back here later', stumbling upon Havel -- the sense of victory once I finally killed him a few days later.

Running through Darkroot Basin and being in awe of the Hydra, sucha big free world to explore and run around and discover --- and having the master key played a large role in my initial 'awe and wonder' of the game.

Yeah. Entering from Valley of the Drakes would be horrible for a first-time player D:
That's the way I did it because my first run I was going in kind of blind, but had the master key. It wasn't until later I went the 'correct' way.

It's a lot quicker and easier to use the back entrance, but I wouldn't recommend it for first timers because you miss out on a challenging and cool area, and some nice items.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
DLC story stuff:
After exploring the content in the DLC, I don't think I have it in my heart to fight Sif anymore :( I want us to be buddies.

I'll probably just skip him on NG+

Especially with the new cutscene where he recognizes you! I just can't do it!

Sarcasm

In Great Hollow

where is a good place to jump to get the 1) Corpse in the trunk thing 2) The two lower ones. I already picked up 2 items and did enough pooping of the pants with the curse frogs.

EasyMode

DLC story stuff:
After exploring the content in the DLC, I don't think I have it in my heart to fight Sif anymore :( I want us to be buddies.

:( I know that feel bro.
Unfortunately, the ring you get from him doesn't carry over to NG+ I believe. So he can't be skipped if you intend to go to NG++.

EasyMode

It's actually 10 levels +15% of your level, above or below. (Not that it matters much with the abysmal rate of successful summoning in the last few weeks...)

So the online connectivity does seem to be getting worse... Lately I've also been noticing a lot of failed invasions — bonfire goes out, fog doors go up, yet nothing happens.

Firelink is a barrel of laughs:

Dark Souls: dude so... I'm sending all the NPCs to Firelink shrine! COOL?
Me: FUCK YEAH! A hub!
Dark Souls: So do you remember that
golden dude you rescued
like most of the other NPCs
Me: Yeah, he's mah bro!
Dark Souls:
Well he killed the firekeeper, so your hub is kind of worthless now untill you get her soul back
Me: Why?
Dark Souls: FUCK YOU! that's why!

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
DLC story stuff:

I've always felt terrible fighting him and now I'll feel even worse :(

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Overall starting class doesn't make much difference other than what gear you get at the beginning, but I always thought Wanderer gear was pretty cool, second only to Thief.

Plus you get a sword that has an alternate R1+Forward attack where you do a slash and a back flip.
I'm trying to stay unspoilered GAF, but I think I should share this and ask a question...
You are not destined to become anything other than the fate you create for yourself. What you did only has the consequence of not allowing you to join up or receive benefits from the Darkmoon Blade covenant for the rest of the game. You will have a chance again on your next play (NG+).

Other than that you are fine. If you do not want to experience major consequences, do not kill Lady Gwynevere. The true nature of your encounter with Gwyndolin is revealed in item descriptions, read them as you discover new items and you will learn what is really going on in Anor Londo.

First playthrough ahead...is the Wanderer a fun class to play?

yeah wanderer is fun, its a natural start for getting to dex based weapons like katanas

pyro is often recommended for new players as it starts at SL1 so you can grow all stats how you want quickly. it also has a fireball pyromancy which is great for taking on early bosses when you are new to the game, and is good at combat with decent STR and a starting hand axe.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
First playthrough ahead...is the Wanderer a fun class to play?
Classes don't really matter all that much in this game, but Wanderer is alright. You might have an easier time in the early areas with pyromancer, but you can just as easy farm a few firebombs with any other class and achieve the same effect.

Thrakier

Classes don't really matter all that much in this game, but Wanderer is alright. You might have an easier time in the early areas with pyromancer, but you can just as easy farm a few firebombs with any other class and achieve the same effect.

Is it possible to get through the game without reading hours and hours on the interwebs?

Zzoram

I don't even know what attack Pinwheel has. When I faced him on PS3 with my mage, I killed him with 1 shot of soul mass.

continuing my first playthrough with a minimum of wiki checking but still prying for info occasionally from gaf :)

I've got one blacksmith going right now,
Andrei and just got him an Ember so he can upgrade my stuff past +5

The weapon system is confusing to me, I have gleaned that some weps scale off of Str, Dex or Faith.

I'm rolling around Cleric style and am planning on leveling up Faith once my Vit is a bit higher. Of the weapons I have found at this point in the game (
just beat capra demon but have yet to have found the bonfire in the depths
), are there any I should look out for that scale well with Faith?

Here's what I have leveled:
I have leveled up my mace, and halberd to +5 as well as my Knight Shield and Caudaceus(?) round shield. Starting to level up my armor now, am wearing Black leather hat, shoulders and gloves as well as the Cleric's starting pants.

Is there armor that scales with Faith?

I just ran into a pack of 4 clerics at the firelink shrine who are all wearing heavy armor, so maybe I should look into that now as I am decently below my 50% of equip weight, so I can try heavier armor if I find some decent looking gear

Thanks gaf for keeping me informed but not too spoiled :)

Top Bottom