• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ACE 1991

Man, this easily one of the prettiest games on PC using Durante's tweaks. Beat the
two gargoyle bosses
today. Dumping most of my points in Vit and End, are there any places I should go to get a new weapon/shield, or not just just yet? I'm just using a longsword +3 and a knight's shield +2.

Anyone? Would love some advice =)

if your going to do mostly PVE just set your Vit to 20 and Max out End to 40 and which ever class you want to play as increase that stat. Mages Int, Clerics Faith, Dex build, Strength Build and Pyro just level your glove and have a bunch of attunement slots.

EasyMode

You could farm the baldur knights (those dudes with capes in undead parish) for their shield. I mean the ones with the big shield, not the tiny one.

If you want an easy mode weapon
you can get the drake sword by shooting about 20+ arrows at the red dragon's tail from beneath the bridge.
Otherwise keep upgrading your longsword.

Gvaz

Banned
If you Alt+F4 when the games saving or checking the saves you'll mess the saves up.
GFWL has nothing to do with this since it's just a unprotected save file written by the game.

Actually GFWL has everything to do with this because it encrypts the saves with some hashtag checks.

Haunted

Is it possible to get through the game without reading hours and hours on the interwebs?
It's definitely possible.

If you're the type of guy who loves to get abducted to a neighbouring country and thrown out at a random spot without clothes, ID, wallet or a map, go ahead!

Me, I'd rather have a map.

derFeef

Darkroot garden became very frustrating for me, can't even reach the Butterfly without needing at least 3 Flasks and the bossfight with 2 flasks is not easy :/

Dascu

Darkroot garden became very frustrating for me, can't even reach the Butterfly without needing at least 3 Flasks and the bossfight with 2 flasks is not easy :/
Some questions:
- You know you can kindle a bonfire (as a human), right? You can do this so that each time you rest there, you restore up to 10 (and later 20) Estus flasks.
- Did you find the closest bonfire, the one hidden behind the wall right next to the big closed gate in Darkroot?
- What's your Soul Level and what's your progress? You don't have to go through Darkroot until past the mid-point of the game/after you get the Lordvessel, and the Moonlight Butterfly itself is completely optional.

ACE 1991

You could farm the baldur knights (those dudes with capes in undead parish) for their shield. I mean the ones with the big shield, not the tiny one.

If you want an easy mode weapon
you can get the drake sword by shooting about 20+ arrows at the red dragon's tail from beneath the bridge.
Otherwise keep upgrading your longsword.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely be doing this tonight.

EasyMode

Have you tried running past the stone guardians, and straight to the boss to save your flasks?

koryuken

He doesn't really though. When you first talk to him he just tells you to go up to the Undead Church or down to Blighttown, but gives no indication where they are. He then tells you to go and ring the bells and with no indication that he has more to say. In fact, since it takes a while before the talk prompt appears again it's pretty easy to just wander off and be just as confused as before. If you do stick around and listen to all the tutorial stuff he has to say, he will eventually mention that to get to the undead church you must go through the undead burg by going up the stairs and through the waterway. Again though, he's not very specific about where this is or how far away the waterway is, and Firelink is pretty full of stairs as it is so it can still be hard to know where to go.

That's of course assuming you realize that you must go for the top bell first, since it's not very clear that you must do them in order.

And this is exactly what makes the game special. There is no handholding. It's up to you to figure out what to do/where to go with trial and error. If this game had arrows guiding you to the next objective, I doubt it would have the same following.

JeTmAn81

And this is exactly what makes this good. There is no handholding. It's up to you to figure out what to do/where to go with trial and error. If this game had arrows guiding you to the next objective, I doubt it would have the same following.

The problem with this is, if the player goes the wrong way and runs into enemies which are far too tough for them at that point in the game, it's assumed the player will realize this is part of the game design and turn back. But what if the player simply thinks that's how hard the enemies are supposed to be and continues tediously hacking away at superior enemies? In a game that's notorious for its difficulty, it's easy to imagine this happening to someone who didn't know any better, and it would make for a very frustrating, unrewarding experience.

In Great Hollow

where is a good place to jump to get the 1) Corpse in the trunk thing 2) The two lower ones. I already picked up 2 items and did enough pooping of the pants with the curse frogs.
The item in the main central trunk?

Item spoiler:
Cloranthy Ring, stamina regen

Method spoiler:
you can fall straight down not far from the bonfire, just walk a little down and stand over the center and 9 times out of 10 you will land on the ledge with the item, which is over another very short drop down to the exit out. It's a fair drop so if you haven't put much into VIT you might want to use Fall Control spell.

web01

The problem with this is, if the player goes the wrong way and runs into enemies which are far too tough for them at that point in the game, it's assumed the player will realize this is part of the game design and turn back. But what if the player simply thinks that's how hard the enemies are supposed to be and continues tediously hacking away at superior enemies? In a game that's notorious for its difficulty, it's easy to imagine this happening to someone who didn't know any better, and it would make for a very frustrating, unrewarding experience.

The crestfallen warrior specifically says you need to go up past the water duct to get to the undead burg and that the church is above it and blightown is bellow it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Tvabrqegc

Most new players wont get past the reanimated skeletons to the first underground bonfire at all.And there is no bonfire in New Londo.

Its very hard to get stuck going the wrong way.

UrbanRats

Man this game hates.
Trying to summon in Anor Londo, tens of failures, yet invaded several times while trying :\.
Cloth physics on enemies' armor, yet not on you when you equip it.

Made to hate the player. :mad:

This ties into the 'easy mode' discussion and if anyone has watched the EpicNameBro series of youtube videos, he, very well, explains why DS gets it right with regards to not handholding and difficulty in general.

A big part of the appeal of DS is the community aspect - not just he PvP, but also the sharing of opinions, information, tips and shortcuts in DS communities - like this thread.

Grief.exe

I can't believe how much better I've gotten.

Beat the game on my first playthrough last night, beat every optional area and DLC content as well.

Rerolled this morning before class, gonna go int/dex battle mage build.

No problems, rolling through Undead Burgh and Undead Parish. Parrying everything I see, killed 3 black knights and Havel, and helped out 3 people with the Taurus Demon.

Have barely even been hit and haven't died yet. The first time I went through those areas I was getting wrecked left and right.

mxgt

Banned

Beat the game on my first playthrough last night, beat every optional area and DLC content as well.

No problems, rolling through Undead Burgh and Undead Parish. Parrying everything I see, killed 3 black knights and Havel, and helped out 3 people with the Taurus Demon.

Have barely even been hit and haven't died yet. The first time I went through those areas I was getting wrecked left and right.

IMO NG+ is easier than your first playthrough as you're well geared and generally know the ins and outs.

Zeliard

The paths in the Crystal Cave are made laughably obvious with the falling snow. Do people just not pay any attention at all?

Anteater

Capra demon, more like crappa demon

Somehow I've missed that you could get to valley of the drakes from darkroot garden from my first playthrough, just killed that undead dragon, grabbed the key at blighttown, proceed to anor londo, and back to fireslink hrine again, I feel like an expert.

But fuck I don't know if I want to do the depths again

Edit: got to the bonfire pretty quick at the depths, almost time for uglydragondude

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The paths in the Crystal Cave are made laughably obvious with the falling snow. Do people just not pay any attention at all?

When I went through the paths were marked with so many orange messages I could sprint across as if they were a magic bridge. It took less than 60 seconds to sprint from the bonfire in the archives to Seath.

Edit - LOL Lautrec's face is perfect

Zeliard

Not only that, you get 20 Prism Stones in the last area of Duke's Archives right before the Crystal Cave.

Not to mention that if you play online, there will almost always be messages on the paths, and they are also a straight line. It's not like they curve or anything.

Never understood the hatred for that place. It's very short. I just picture people diving headlong into emptiness without paying attention to their surroundings.

The crestfallen warrior specifically says you need to go up past the water duct to get to the undead burg and that the church is above it and blightown is bellow it

Yeah, but what is actually below the Undead Burg is the Lower Undead Burg, and what's below that is the Depths, and what's below THAT is Blightown. Personally, I love the Zelda 1-like trial and error gameplay and lack of direction, but it is pretty easy to understand how it could be bewildering for some.

Anteater

When I went through the paths were marked with so many orange messages I could sprint across as if they were a magic bridge. It took less than 60 seconds to sprint from the bonfire in the archives to Seath.

haha, same, first time in the game I felt the messages were actually useful

Gvaz

Banned
In Great Hollow

where is a good place to jump to get the 1) Corpse in the trunk thing 2) The two lower ones. I already picked up 2 items and did enough pooping of the pants with the curse frogs.

Roll off a higher branch. This is useful for a lot of things actually.

ElFly

Just got backstabbed by Havel, with his giant mace. He was waiting for me behind the door that leads to the stair in his tower (I had already aggroed him, but fell down a platform and had to go back to the tower).

Backstabbed.

By Havel's mace.

WTF game.

Raxus

One of the best thing about the Souls series is that you actually feel like you have gotten better with the game the more you play and learn. Once difficult bosses become easier and you can zip in and out of areas in minutes.

Grief.exe

One of the best thing about the Souls series is that you actually feel like you have gotten better with the game the more you play and learn. Once difficult bosses become easier and you can zip in and out of areas in minutes.

Oh ya. I plan to just rush through the game on this guy. Planning on sunbroing and collecting all of the sorceries and miracles.
Gonna stay low level, like around 30-40 so I can help people out.

IMO NG+ is easier than your first playthrough as you're well geared and generally know the ins and outs.

I'm playing a completely new game, not on my ng+ character.
Eventually I will go back to him though. Need all the rare weapons and going to level him up to 100 for PvP.
Going vit/end/str on him with a demon machete.
Int/dex on my new character.

Wait what. They made faces for the npcs under the helmets?! Or this is a mod that assigns whatever faces to them.

Nope from actually did that. Attention to detail in this game blows my mind.

The creator of that just removed the helms from the game files so the game can't even locate the files to render them.

Psy-Phi

Not to mention that if you play online, there will almost always be messages on the paths, and they are also a straight line. It's not like they curve or anything.

Never understood the hatred for that place. It's very short. I just picture people diving headlong into emptiness without paying attention to their surroundings.

The two leading to the boss don't curve, but the one leading from the Crystal Lizards -> Chest does curve and zig-zag...a lot. Pain in the ass. Also, not being able to see is enough of a scare. And if you go at it the wrong angle, even though it's straight, you can walk off by just walking straight.

it feels a little cheap since there's no way to grab on to a ledge when you've fallen like many other games have. I don't dislike the area, but I'm not very fond of it either. Especially when invaded or invading others (though it's a little more fun when invading), it leads to fights where someone falls.

Scuderia

Going through as a melee character, just got to the point when i can use the Black Knight Halberd. I'm at the Gaping Dragon at the minute, are there any better weapons i could be using at this point?

zkylon

zkylewd
Kindle the bonfire. You can find two humanities pretty quick and it'll make your life a lot easier.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
What are normally considered the best greatswords out there? I had Claymore +10, then went to a +5 Black Knight sword, then finished the game with +5 gravelord sword which I think was considerably better than the other two. How does Greatlord Sword and Artorias Sword stack up with these? I didnt get a chance to try those.

tip for people who run out of Estus Flasks before a Boss

It is possible to make it to almost every Boss Gate without needing to actually fight anything.

Once you learn enemy placement and know where they will attempt to attack - you can speed-run past pretty much everything.

There may be an occasional exception, and if you mess up timing might take a hit or two depending on the area - but you can avoid most of the 'trash' enemies between the bonfire and the fog gate.

Zeliard

The two leading to the boss don't curve, but the one leading from the Crystal Lizards -> Chest does curve and zig-zag...a lot. Pain in the ass. Also, not being able to see is enough of a scare. And if you go at it the wrong angle, even though it's straight, you can walk off by just walking straight.

it feels a little cheap since there's no way to grab on to a ledge when you've fallen like many other games have. I don't dislike the area, but I'm not very fond of it either. Especially when invaded or invading others (though it's a little more fun when invading), it leads to fights where someone falls.

The whole point is to inch yourself slowly along and thrown prism stones and/or shoot arrows into walkways. You're not supposed to just keep moving forward blindly, ever, and that also goes for almost every level in the Souls games on your first playthrough. Your first time through the cave, you should be moving slowly along every walkway making sure that your next step isn't one that will send you into the abyss. Even without player messages, it's more than manageable. You take a step forward, throw a prism stone, repeat. There's no second-chance ledge grab mechanic in these games nor should there ever be.

Honestly, if there is a problem with the Crystal Cave, it's that it was too small. Yes, too small. Atmospherically it's impeccable, and the walkways are simply an extension of the game's core design philosophy - have some patience and pay attention to your surroundings. The level is perfectly in keeping with what the Souls games ask from the player and I would have enjoyed more of it. They had a cool idea and gave it short shrift. They could have kept the direct path from start--->boss fairly short like it is in almost every Souls level in both games, but it should have been a bigger area filled with tons of optional treasures for those willing to brave it. Missed opportunity.

I feel like people just freak out at the mere notion of invisible pathways and stop thinking rationally, or try to just leg it in an attempt to get it over more quickly. I thought it was exhilarating, especially that amazing final walkway which requires a short drop-off. The only tricky section at all is that one ledge you can slide off of.

KSai

What are normally considered the best greatswords out there? I had Claymore +10, then went to a +5 Black Knight sword, then finished the game with +5 gravelord sword which I think was considerably better than the other two. How does Greatlord Sword and Artorias Sword stack up with these? I didnt get a chance to try those.

Artorias' swords are terrible. You have to have STR, DEX, INT, and Faith, and then they don't scale well or you need humanity for their strength to increase. I've ruined characters just by trying to make the swords usable.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Artorias' swords are terrible. You have to have STR, DEX, INT, and Faith, and then they don't scale well or you need humanity for their strength to increase. I've ruined characters just by trying to make the swords usable.

Yeah thats kinda why I went with the shield instead of making one of the swords. I thought they looked badass and wanted to give them a shot... but those requirements were all wacky.

What about the sword from Gwynn's soul or Artorias (DLC) soul? Anyone tried those?

Tried making use of the Artorias sword, and sort of sad that I spent the stats to meet the requirements. Seems like if you are doing a 'I don't care how leveled I am' run - then it'd be fine.

But if you are trying to keep within a lower SL range for PvP/Co-Op, you just end up gimping yourself - the weapon won't do enough damage to be worth it over other things, and all those stats you spent to meet the min requirements would be better spent in other areas.

Think I may make that character my 'NG++ and beyond build and just level up without an end-level in mind'

KSai

The DLC sword says it has C scaling for strength. With 50 STR it averages at a disappointing 430 attack and increases damage with humanity. Just say no to Artorias and his weapons.

So I just had a really good first run down in the depths, made it all the way to the gaping dragon boss, and he one shot me, lost 20k souls, respawn at firelink.

feels bad man

Top Bottom