• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Haunted

Wait what. They made faces for the npcs under the helmets?! Or this is a mod that assigns whatever faces to them.
Most NPCs are just regular models made with the character creator and given armour. It's basically the easiest way to get a variety of NPCs into the game. The same systems are used for the NPCs, humanoid enemies and the player character.

Sometimes I wonder if they made a ton of armours for the player and just stuck the NPCs and enemies inside, or if they made a ton of enemies and NPCs and decided to just give all the armour to the player during the game. :p

Hack that makes the game unable to render the helmets in question.

Sullichin

The DLC sword says it has C scaling for strength. With 50 STR it averages at a disappointing 430 attack and increases damage with humanity. Just say no to Artorias and his weapons.

Wow that sounds pretty bad. Why are all the artorias weapons so junky?

Current PVP setup:
SL80
40VIT, 40END, 27STR
The rest all at 11 (Deprived default)
Elite Knight Helm
Elite Knight Gauntlets
Hollow Warrior's Armor
Hollow Soldier's Waistcloth
Ring of Favor and Protection
Wolf Ring
Power Within
Reinforced Club +15
Blood shield on back

Something like 69 poise so I can wail on people with the reinforced club which stuns/breaks guard easily, and does tons of damage/doesn't take up too much stamina with power within. Under 25% equip load too. Alternate setup ditches all of the armor except for the waistcloth and use a Chaos Demon Great Machete. I prefer using the reinf.club though. I've been really successful with this guy. Thinking of bringing him to lvl100 but i'm getting tons of invasions in ooacile now.

Grief.exe

Look up a couple posts, I answered it.

What are normally considered the best greatswords out there? I had Claymore +10, then went to a +5 Black Knight sword, then finished the game with +5 gravelord sword which I think was considerably better than the other two. How does Greatlord Sword and Artorias Sword stack up with these? I didnt get a chance to try those.

The man serpent great sword and the demon machete are some of the best scaling and damage. Good movesets as well.

Jackpot

Banned
Playing through blight town on the PC version. I reached the 2nd bonfire and instead of going to the spider boss i went up the waterwheel. However it started giving me huge framerate problems and when I died they were still present even though I'm now back at a point where I had no framerate problems previously. Any help?

Zeliard

I always pictured him being bald for some reason.

It's interesting how they make faces for so many NPCs who never take their helmets off. Even back in Demon's Souls there are designs of the faces of characters like Yurt, Garl Vinland, and Miralda in the artbook, even though none of them ever take their helmets off in the game itself.

Guess the attention to detail pays off, though. Even in the console versions it was possible to get a pretty good look at the faces of at least Solaire and the onions, and if you cranked your gamma you could even get a pretty okay idea of what Quelana looked like.

I really like that they paid that much attention to NPC faces even though they can't be viewed through normal means. They could have made them all identical to a large degree and it wouldn't have made any real difference, but they took the extra step to make them fit with what you might perceive them to look like.

Lautrec and Solaire have diametrically opposed personalities and their faces somehow reflect that, with Lautrec just looking far more sinister. Even Maneater Mildred looks like some zombie freak.

Playing through blight town on the PC version. I reached the 2nd bonfire and instead of going to the spider boss i went up the waterwheel. However it started giving me huge framerate problems and when I died they were still present even though I'm now back at a point where I had no framerate problems previously. Any help?

this happened to me, and I only got my smooth framerate back by quitting game, and restarting computer. just playing game again didnt work. bizarre.

with SSD its fast to boot up again, but its very annoying to have to do it.

Zeliard

Blighttown is still questionable in terms of framerate, depending on your Durante settings. It can be brute forced to remain at 30 at all times, but if you have high enough settings it's possible to be at 30 everywhere else but still have Blighttown sinking down to 15 at times.

wutwutwut

Got dominated by
Artorias
. Decided to go do something else -- breezed through New Londo Ruins without dying even once (uh well I died once, but technically it wasn't NLR as it was from
the Drakes
). OMG BSS +14.

KarmaCow

Is it possible to run to the
Gravelord
covenant to get the
Gravelord Sword
on a new character? I thought fall damage was based on your maximum health but those falls were pretty nasty on a new character though I did take some hits getting there.

elohel

Gravelord
covenant to get the
Gravelord Sword
on a new character? I thought fall damage was based on your maximum health but those falls were pretty nasty on a new character though I did take some hits getting there.

pretty sure you can do this but you will have to work your way back up to the top

Grief.exe

Do you get a shotel for killing
lautrec
in the undead parish?

Would be a nice way to get a good dex weapon for my into/dex build before the painting guardian sword.

Gravelord
covenant to get the
Gravelord Sword

Wouldn't you need to turn over the bridges anyways? the only route I can think of getting there would still require you to move them. I think you also need to have an eye of death in your inventory to be able to trigger this anyways. There is one behind that demon there - but need to either be really good at an item dash and run to avoid getting splattered, or get it elsewhere.

KarmaCow

Yea I don't bother resting at any bonfires. I guess I just need more practice to just make the jump blind. Lining up the fall leaves too much time for the enemies to catch up.

Wouldn't you need to turn over the bridges anyways? the only route I can think of getting there would still require you to move them. I think you also need to have an eye of death in your inventory to be able to trigger this anyways. There is one behind that demon there - but need to either be really good at an item dash and run to avoid getting splattered, or get it elsewhere.

Ah I forgot about turning the bridges. Bleh that's a shame. I think I could get past the demon and die getting the eye but it's already getting too much work for the novelty of having it so early.

KSai

Yea I don't bother resting at any bonfires. I guess I just need more practice to just make the jump blind. Lining up the fall leaves too much time for the enemies to catch up.

Ah I forgot about turning the bridges. Bleh that's a shame. I think I could get past the demon and die getting the eye but it's already getting too much work for the novelty of having it so early.

It can be done. I got the Rite of Kindling on my first run on PC. You just have to be patient and ready for the frustration of getting out.

Grief.exe

so any news on how well the game did on pc?

It was in the top 2-3 best sellers on steam the week before it was released and for 2 weeks afterwards.
Its fallen recently because of good deals on steam.

Its been in the top 9-15 most played game on steam since release.

Looks pretty good. I'd like to see a response from namco or from on how it did and what they think of durantes fix.

So what would be the most important stat for a pyro focussed more on melee?

Endurance then vitality.

Then strength or dex build depending.

Might as well grab the divine ember from dark root since you aren't going to have enough stats to use that sword that early.

Although actually, I think I recall accidentally falling onto the ledge before the area by the covenant, and you can do that without turning the bridges. I've heard of people ruining their game by doing this, using a bonfire in ToTG after w/o the Lord Vessel, and not being able to climb back out because of it.

Depending on your build, could you snag up the Astorias sword so you could kill the skeletons w/o them re-spawning and take a little more time to line up the fall? Although all around, seems like quite the hassle for a totally-new character to pull off, even if you know what your doing / where to go.

tassletine

The problem with this is, if the player goes the wrong way and runs into enemies which are far too tough for them at that point in the game, it's assumed the player will realize this is part of the game design and turn back. But what if the player simply thinks that's how hard the enemies are supposed to be and continues tediously hacking away at superior enemies? In a game that's notorious for its difficulty, it's easy to imagine this happening to someone who didn't know any better, and it would make for a very frustrating, unrewarding experience.

Japanese games are designed differently to western ones. They often have a choice of difficulty (or play style) built in, that requires discipline rather than options to access. The most obvious example of this is Super Mario Bros 3D with the racoon suit - it requires discipline NOT to use it. Another good example would be the various play styles in Metal Gear -- you can just run and gun but you'll have more fun if you play it properly.

Choice is written all over Dark Souls. It gives you an immense amount of freedom to do anything you want and that's a core part of the experience.
So the various paths in Dark Souls act like difficulty levels -- and it would be a very strange person who didn't want to investigate the various paths in the game, seeing as you start in a very clear hub.

As a side not I DID hack away for hours and had a lot of fun.

Sullichin

You don't need to turn a single bridge. You can drop down from the beginning of the level. I was just in the catacombs so I took a screenshot to show you:
78DB4DA84ACD2D1E2F05BDC2C34052B0AC67E35F
It's tricky but you can drop down on that ledge below from here. Fall damage is a function of your vitality not a flat amount -- it won't kill you. Watch out, you might get immediately blasted by those floating skull things or brush off the ledge onto a lower platform and die. When you get it, you'll be right next to the titanite demon hallway, from which you can grab the eyes of death and then book it back to the tomb and rest in it. IIRC, the titanite demon won't be able to hit you in the tomb.

Might as well rest at the catacombs bonfire though, because the drop is really easy to mess up. It's not hard to get back to firelink from the first bonfire in the catacombs at all. You can also use this shortcut to drop down further to the bottom, summon Leeroy to take care of the wheel skeletons, take out pinwheel and get the right of kindling really early.

Do you get a shotel for killing
lautrec
in the undead parish?

Would be a nice way to get a good dex weapon for my into/dex build before the painting guardian sword.

As mentioned, no, that's elsewhere, but the uchigatana from
killing the undead merchant
is an excellent dex weapon available early on.

zkylon

zkylewd
You don't need to turn a single bridge. You can drop down from the beginning of the level. I was just in the catacombs so I took a screenshot to show you:

It's tricky but you can drop down on that ledge below from here. Fall damage is a function of your vitality not a flat amount -- it won't kill you. Watch out, you might get immediately blasted by those floating skull things or brush off the ledge onto a lower platform and die. When you get it, you'll be right next to the titanite demon hallway, from which you can grab the eyes of death and then book it back to the tomb and rest in it. IIRC, the titanite demon won't be able to hit you in the tomb.

Might as well rest at the catacombs bonfire though, because the drop is really easy to mess up. It's not hard to get back to firelink from the first bonfire in the catacombs at all. You can also use this shortcut to drop down further to the bottom, summon Leeroy to take care of the wheel skeletons, take out pinwheel and get the right of kindling really early.
92 humanity? That's fucking crazy...

KarmaCow

Does a melee pyro even make sense? Also what is this humanity thing for? That wasn't in Demon Souls.

Humanity as a stat just boosts item discovery and curse resistance. You can also use it to go from hollow to human. Only humans can summon other players and invade/get invaded. You can get summoned when hollow though.

Does a melee pyro even make sense? Also what is this humanity thing for? That wasn't in Demon Souls.

Melee Pyro makes perfect sense, and I think it's a nice compliment. Pyro spells tend to have a medium to short range (the short range ones having a fast casting). So if you need to be pretty much up in the enemies face to get the spell off - why not throw some melee into the mix?

You balance the use of your pyro-spells for some quick damage, but don't use them all up in each fight so you have uses left for the next - and finish off with melee. Some of the pyro spells don't have that many uses - so unless you spend lots on attunement to get more slots to hold spells, you'll have a hard time using nothing but pyro between bon-fires, especially when accounting for blocked spells/mis-aimed spells.

Humanity in short is.

- You gain humanity by hunting (can earn it randomly if the boss isn't dead yet)
- Find it as loot
- Get it for winning in PvP
- Defeating a boss as a summoned ghost
- You use humanity to reverse hollow
- You use it to kindle bonfires - which dictates how many estus flasks you get when you rest
- It also affects your item-find rate, and boosts some of your defensive stats
- There are some weapon types that will increase their damage based on your humanity (chaos weapons).

Grief.exe

Yes melee pyro is great. Having combustion + fireball for close and far range respectively is perfect, and power within is really strong for melee (shouldn't upgrade glove for this).

By the way don't upgrade int for pyro build, won't scale your damage at all.

Humanity is for turning human where you can be summoned or invade, kindle bonfires for more flasks, give more damage yo certain weapons or spells, and more.

Gravelord
covenant to get the
Gravelord Sword
Yeah, I did it. Just run past the skeletons, drop down, hope that you land on the platform without taking too much damage or have one of those stupid exploding heads hit you when you're stunned from the fall. It's a lot easier if you're playing a faith character and gain a few levels to use astoras straight sword and just kill everything on the way, but it's still not too bad otherwise.

Sullichin

92 humanity? That's fucking crazy...

Not really. This character is for pvp, and humanity starts to rack up when you have all the pvp areas you want available. If I'm in any danger of losing it, I put on a ring of sacrifice. The
chasm of the abyss
in the DLC also makes it very easy to farm for humanity. Cause I'll still eventually fall off a cliff twice or something stupid and not have a ring of sacrifice on and lose it all.

Thrakier

Melee Pyro makes perfect sense, and I think it's a nice compliment. Pyro spells tend to have a medium to short range (the short range ones having a fast casting). So if you need to be pretty much up in the enemies face to get the spell off - why not throw some melee into the mix?

You balance the use of your pyro-spells for some quick damage, but don't use them all up in each fight so you have uses left for the next - and finish off with melee. Some of the pyro spells don't have that many uses - so unless you spend lots on attunement to get more slots to hold spells, you'll have a hard time using nothing but pyro between bon-fires, especially when accounting for blocked spells/mis-aimed spells.

Humanity in short is.

- You gain humanity by hunting (can earn it randomly if the boss isn't dead yet)
- Find it as loot
- Get it for winning in PvP
- Defeating a boss as a summoned ghost
- You use humanity to reverse hollow
- You use it to kindle bonfires - which dictates how many estus flasks you get when you rest
- It also affects your item-find rate, and boosts some of your defensive stats
- There are some weapon types that will increase their damage based on your humanity (chaos weapons).

Yes melee pyro is great. Having combustion + fireball for close and far range respectively is perfect, and power within is really strong for melee (shouldn't upgrade glove for this).

By the way don't upgrade int for pyro build, won't scale your damage at all.

Humanity is for turning human where you can be summoned or invade, kindle bonfires for more flasks, give more damage yo certain weapons or spells, and more.

Thanks. So Vit, End, and then STR or Dex first? For Melee I'd guess STR?

Holy escalation of difficulty, I just finished Blightown and entered Sens fortress, my God, am I even supposed to be here right now or should I be somewhere else?

EasyMode

Holy escalation of difficulty, I just finished Blightown and entered Sens fortress, my God, am I even supposed to be here right now or should I be somewhere else?

Yes, you're supposed to be there and it's a blast! Take your time and pay attention to your surroundings (more so than usual).

I've been playing this game so slowly. Haven't had much time (and during the week I prefer to play something that isn't so time hungry) and in general my progression has been slow. Just made it to Blighttown to find the first few enemies really annoying to fight, so I just ran past them when I noticed a message persuading me to jump. At least I got to the bonfire before getting my first invasion (didn't go well).

Blighttown is impressively intertwined, and the overall connected nature of the game world continues to blow my mind. I'll take this tightly crafted and designed world over any 30+ square mile game.

Glad to see Blighttown has been a rock solid 30fps so far with my setting and Durante's fix.

EDIT: I think I may be behind as far as weapon crafting goes, each of these smaller enemies are proving quite difficult to kill. Nearly impossible for me in groups (though the thin pathways do occasionally work to my advantage as well).

Currently have a Longsword + 3. Pyromancy has been saving me but even then it takes a few spells to down most enemies. Maybe I should bulk up on armor (not like mobility helps me here).

Grief.exe

It depends. Str and dex are both melle stats. Depends on what weapons you want to use.

Good starting weapons are uchi, iato, and claymore.

Nope you are in the right spot. Sens is frustrating learn the movements of the enemies and trap location and it becomes easy.
Just takes practice.

derFeef

Some questions:
- You know you can kindle a bonfire (as a human), right? You can do this so that each time you rest there, you restore up to 10 (and later 20) Estus flasks.
- Did you find the closest bonfire, the one hidden behind the wall right next to the big closed gate in Darkroot?
- What's your Soul Level and what's your progress? You don't have to go through Darkroot until past the mid-point of the game/after you get the Lordvessel, and the Moonlight Butterfly itself is completely optional.

- Yeah, but I lost all my 10 humanities - I kindle'd at Burg
- I found it.
- Level 30 or something, got the Gargoyles and can't finish the Capra Demon (thats where I lost everything)
No Idea where to head now instead.

The enemies at Sens fortress are very powerful, I want to farm or somehow make my sword more powerful.

I need pointer on how to do this, I currently have a Claymore +10, what can I do to upgrade it further?

JeTmAn81

The enemies at Sens fortress are very powerful, I want to farm or somehow make my sword more powerful.

I need pointer on how to do this, I currently have a Claymore +10, what can I do to upgrade it further?

Is a +10 Claymore more powerful than the Drake sword? If not, I'd suggest getting that by shooting the bridge dragon's tail a few times.

I just got to Sen's Fortress myself last night. Haven't gone very far so I can't say if I'm feeling underpowered yet, but had a lolworthy moment when I got to the room with the swinging pendulums. I saw an enemy at the very end and figured it would suck having to fight him on that pendulum walkway, so I shot an arrow at him, he started charging at me and promptly got swept off the walkway to his death by a giant pendulum.

Dex speeds the cast time of spells (although I find it to be so minor I don't even notice it - but you can find youtube videos doing more detailed analysis).

There are good weapons for both Str and Dex, although IMO - for a new player, I think Dex weapons are a little easier to use. I found when I first started playing the Souls games that the Str weapons felt a little clumsy to use (getting used to them now and rather like them), where the move set / speed of the dex weapons (ie: Iiato/etc) felt pretty good.

I'd also probably focus on END before VIT - still keep them balanced, but find that End tends to help my survivability more than VIT. Depending on my play-through and how I'm feeling, I'll bump up the one that I feel I need the most.

END affects how much gear you can carry and get a decent roll speed (fast / medium / fat roll), you'll want to aim for at least medium roll, which is an equipment burden of 50% or less (ie: you can carry 80pounds of stuff, so your burden should be 40 or lower). There are a few items that can increase this - so I usually play around with 'the gear i want to use / the burden-increasing items I want to use / the END I need to keep at the roll speed I want'.

If you are thinking in terms of a 'SL120 build', a common rule of thumb most people seem to have is

- VIT/END to 40
- Other stats to meet item requirements
- Bump up your damage-scaling stat to 40 (diminishing returns after)
- Enough attunment to carry the number of spells that you want

If this is your first play-through though, don't worry too much about the 'perfect build', leave that sort of min/maxing/perfecting for your other characters (of which will level up and complete the game much faster than your first time).

Is a +10 Claymore more powerful than the Drake sword? If not, I'd suggest getting that by shooting the bridge dragon's tail a few times.

I found that the Drake Sword kinda sucks-balls in Sens. On my first play through Sens is when I really started to think 'wow, I need a new weapon', then upgraded a Winged Spear to +5 fire and ripped through it.

Not really, my claymore has like 100 more damage than the Drake sword.

Is it normal that it takes to 2H attacks and 1H attack to kill the lizards?

If you are doing a scaling-upgrade path, you can't take it past +10 for awhile yet.
If you want to turn it into an Elemental weapon, you can take it to the smith in the Catacombs (have some green Titanite on hand for this - can farm it from Blight Town if your so inclined).

If you push a little further into sens, you will find a
Lightening Spear. It's in a Mimic/chest - the room with the elevator in it if you make it that far. Attack first, don't try to open it - as if you simply try to open it, chances are it will kill you in one attack

Another option if you want a 'safer' weapon that (and this served me well on my first playthrough, haven't felt the need since) --
In the Graveyard near the start of the game is the Winged Tipped Spear, you can attack while still blocking with it. Upgrade it to +fire and it will make quick work of the lizzards.

The Lizards seem to be weak to fire, so maybe stock up on some of the Charcoal Resin from the Undead Merchant. When fighting the Lizards - lure them into their strong attack, and only swing the claymore when they are in recovery.

I thought the same thing after I walked into the first room and got hit by a few poison darts and 2 giant snake men immediately cut me down. After a couple more tries I made it through that room without taking any damage by triggering the dart trap to shoot the first snake man in the back and weaving around the columns to take out the second one. Good times.

If you are doing a scaling-upgrade path, you can't take it past +10 for awhile yet.
If you want to turn it into an Elemental weapon, you can take it to the smith in the Catacombs (have some green Titanite on hand for this - can farm it from Blight Town if your so inclined).

If you push a little further into sens, you will find a
Lightening Spear. It's in a Mimic/chest - the room with the elevator in it if you make it that far. Attack first, don't try to open it - as if you simply try to open it, chances are it will kill you in one attack

Another option if you want a 'safer' weapon that (and this served me well on my first playthrough, haven't felt the need since) --
In the Graveyard near the start of the game is the Winged Tipped Spear, you can attack while still blocking with it. Upgrade it to +fire and it will make quick work of the lizzards.

The Lizards seem to be weak to fire, so maybe stock up on some of the Charcoal Resin from the Undead Merchant. When fighting the Lizards - lure them into their strong attack, and only swing the claymore when they are in recovery.

Great tips, totally forgot about the resins, I will do that, are they timed or number of hits?

Grief.exe

Wow its nice to play through the game again with the sound fix.

Game sounds amazing, where as I played through 80% of the game the first time with almost no ambient noise or music.

Top Bottom