• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

JeTmAn81

I found that the Drake Sword kinda sucks-balls in Sens. On my first play through Sens is when I really started to think 'wow, I need a new weapon', then upgraded a Winged Spear to +5 fire and ripped through it.

Well, my drake sword is +1 now, but I think either way it's my current highest-damaging weapon. I started upgrading a halberd (it's at +6 or +7 currently) so I might pursue that further if the drake isn't cutting it. I also have a pyro glove that's around +10 to help.

Thrakier

Dex speeds the cast time of spells (although I find it to be so minor I don't even notice it - but you can find youtube videos doing more detailed analysis).

There are good weapons for both Str and Dex, although IMO - for a new player, I think Dex weapons are a little easier to use. I found when I first started playing the Souls games that the Str weapons felt a little clumsy to use (getting used to them now and rather like them), where the move set / speed of the dex weapons (ie: Iiato/etc) felt pretty good.

I'd also probably focus on END before VIT - still keep them balanced, but find that End tends to help my survivability more than VIT. Depending on my play-through and how I'm feeling, I'll bump up the one that I feel I need the most.

END affects how much gear you can carry and get a decent roll speed (fast / medium / fat roll), you'll want to aim for at least medium roll, which is an equipment burden of 50% or less (ie: you can carry 80pounds of stuff, so your burden should be 40 or lower). There are a few items that can increase this - so I usually play around with 'the gear i want to use / the burden-increasing items I want to use / the END I need to keep at the roll speed I want'.

If you are thinking in terms of a 'SL120 build', a common rule of thumb most people seem to have is

- VIT/END to 40
- Other stats to meet item requirements
- Bump up your damage-scaling stat to 40 (diminishing returns after)
- Enough attunment to carry the number of spells that you want

If this is your first play-through though, don't worry too much about the 'perfect build', leave that sort of min/maxing/perfecting for your other characters (of which will level up and complete the game much faster than your first time).

OK, thanks. But I need to decide on one, str or dex?

Ledsen

- Yeah, but I lost all my 10 humanities - I kindle'd at Burg
- I found it.
- Level 30 or something, got the Gargoyles and can't finish the Capra Demon (thats where I lost everything)
No Idea where to head now instead.

How did you lose 10 humanity? I've never had more than 1 humanity in my run (which is my first). Do you use the humanity items as you get them or what? You're supposed to save them until you need them.

Just arrived at Capra Demon. This is just fucking cheap. He charges right at you along with a couple of demon dogs. Couple that with a tiny area where you have to fight him in.

I'll just keep trying I guess =/

Zeliard

How did you lose 10 humanity? I've never had more than 1 humanity in my run (which is my first). Do you use the humanity items as you get them or what? You're supposed to save them until you need them.

There are a number of reasons someone could be walking around with a high humanity count. Having a count of 10 at all times is useful for item discovery and Chaos weapons, both of which scale with humanity up to 10. Also, at some point you've done enough kindling, and multiplayer sessions will often give you humanity, so it just tends to add up.

Just arrived at Capra Demon. This is just fucking cheap. He charges right at you along with a couple of demon dogs. Couple that with a tiny area where you have to fight him in.

He's super easy once you figure it out, not many options within such a small space.

OK, thanks. But I need to decide on one, str or dex?

In my opinion, Dex is the more 'new-player-friendly'. Nice selection of weapons, good/fast move sets, and easier for a new player to the game to control. Also, it has the subtle-bonus of making cast times a little bit faster.

For me, I simply found it was easier to time my attacks/etc while using the Iaito than some of the slower str-based weapons. I find a large part of what makes a weapon 'good' (outside of raw number-crunching), is how effectively YOU are able to use it.

I know quite a few people love things like the Zwiehander, and true - when it does connect, it is rather devastating. I just find it clumsy as hell to use, and my play-style used to fit better into the 'a few attacks rather fast' instead of 'one really well-timed devastating attack'.

Mazzo

It's a good fight to bring a couple of helper phantoms.

Try to go up the stairs, that way you can handle with one enemy at a time.

derFeef

Yeah that was a mistake, I could have spawned help so many times now :(

Mendrox

Any bad things if you kill
Gwynevere and Gwyndolin
?

Does the
Giant Blacksmith
still exist? Everything else isn't important I think :eek:

- PvP
- You earn them randomly when fighting in an area if the boss isn't dead yet
- Successfully getting your body back after you die and not having them vanish
- Helping others in co-op

My first few runs I rarely had more than 1 or 2 humanity on my character, but on my recent one - I frequently run with quite a few built up. Also, there's a spot in the new content where it's rather easy to farm them.

Also, if you are using a weapon that scales with humanity - it pays to have some, and if you are doing item/farming runs it helps with item discovery.

When farming baby-skeletons (before the new area proved to be much faster), I'd use them up as healing while farming as I'd be out of Estus flasks and not wanting to run head back to the bonfire.

I am getting really annoyed by the lack of online interaction in my PC version. I have messages, that's pretty much it. Even other player's ghosts do not show anymore. Probably some GFWL bug. :( Help, anyone?

I really hope that the connectivity issues is something that can be fixed - I know it was kind of ass on the PS3 when it was first released, but improved a few weeks later.

Anything co-op I still have a horrible success rate at summoning/being summoned. I rarely see any action in the Arena.

Yet, I can get invaded no problem - and have had a fairly solid success rate at invading others.

I'm sure the vast majority of the player base hasn't reached the upper SL brackets or even beaten artorias.

Probably need to wait a couple more weeks and see how it shakes out.
I don't know, I can still get summoned for the DLC bosses a few times an hour at SL100 and considering that summoning even only ever works like 1 in 20 times, there must be a fair number of people there already. Plus, the people who are likely to use the arena are more likely to have already played a bunch on consoles and would have sped along to 100 in no time. Maybe it will get better, but I'm kind of skeptical at the moment.

I really hope that the connectivity issues is something that can be fixed - I know it was kind of ass on the PS3 when it was first released, but improved a few weeks later.

Anything co-op I still have a horrible success rate at summoning/being summoned. I rarely see any action in the Arena.

Yet, I can get invaded no problem - and have had a fairly solid success rate at invading others.
I have my doubts that they'll patch the PC version to fix it sadly. Would love to be wrong. As for why invading tends to work more often is because you have a lot of more people to try to connect to. They just need to be in human form and there's no upper level limit.

JeTmAn81

How do you lose a lot of humanity, exactly? It doesn't take away your humanity items when you die, right? So if you're human I thought you just lost your human status on death and had to use a humanity item to get it back. I had a bunch of humanity before I spent a lot of it getting summons to fight Quelaag. Also, if you kindle a bonfire it stays kindled forever, right?

Raide

I am getting really annoyed by the lack of online interaction in my PC version. I have messages, that's pretty much it. Even other player's ghosts do not show anymore. Probably some GFWL bug. :( Help, anyone?

The co-op side of Dark Souls had some grand plans but they really did not come to fruition. I am hoping FROM put way more effort into the online side of things for the sequel.

arit

How do you lose a lot of humanity, exactly? It doesn't take away your humanity items when you die, right? So if you're human I thought you just lost your human status on death and had to use a humanity item to get it back. I had a bunch of humanity before I spent a lot of it getting summons to fight Quelaag. Also, if you kindle a bonfire it stays kindled forever, right?

In the top left corner is a counter for your humanity level, which grants you higher item search ability and more defense and curse resistance. This can be leveled by consuming humanity or killing stuff.
Is it gray you only get the buffs, if it's white you are human and can be invaded or invade(as non darkmoon).
If you die you lose it as you lose your souls, but also reacquire them when touching your green blob.

Yeah, when I first started playing there were tons of messages and ghosts and summoning/being summoned was super easy. Now there are occasional messages and that's it.

Thrakier

I don't see any ghosts either. In Demon Souls on PS3 they were there all the time, that was neat.

The first real boss fucked me other twice already and I have no idea what to do. :(

in the last 24 hours I've gone from practically playing offline to getting some great pvp, both invading and being invaded. decided to try out the painted world after a suggestion in this thread (thanks whoever that was) and it really is abuzz with pvp action, even for me.

the funny part is that I'm actually a blade of the darkmoon, but now I've got some indictments against me. so far I've been invaded by and vanquished several of my own covenant which I know is wrong but it feels so right.

Those are probably my most hated enemies in the entire game, and I can tell you that legging it works ZERO percent of the time. Always get nicked from behind, and if one catches you, there's a good chance the others will follow right up. There's a tiny bit of hope if you have decent poise, but even then I wouldn't recommend it.

What I normally do is drop down to where the knight is waiting, then to the ledge just below that. If you hang around on that ledge, you'll pull a good 3-4 of them, which will all keep grinding into the wall below you. A well-placed drop attack with a moderately-sized weapon will take them all out in one go, and you should only suffer a minor health loss.

There'll still be some stragglers out there, but it's much easier to aggro them one by one.

Oh wow, I COMPLETELY forgot about the drop attack, mostly because I never use it.

I'll definitely try that. I have a feeling that'll work.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm not sure if they confirmed this out right, but since (tomb of the giants spoiler)
Patches shows up in the caves, is From Software implying that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls take place in the same world?

Robot Pants

I'm not sure if they confirmed this out right, but since (tomb of the giants spoiler)
Patches shows up in the caves, is From Software implying that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls take place in the same world?

This intrigues me.
I'm pretty sure they aren't, but I want to know why you say this.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The connection issues with this game are really strange. On one character, I am always getting invaded or able to invade but on another invasions are very rare and I have only been able to successfully invade once. They're only 15 levels apart too.

on the topic of pinwheel skeletons, orayn warned me that I'd need to fight them again in one other place where they were even more of a pain in the arse.

he was right!

ezekial45

Banned
This intrigues me.
I'm pretty sure they aren't, but I want to know why you say this.

I'm not sure if you played Demon's Souls, but fairly late in the game you'll encounter a traveling merchant named Patches. He betrays you in the same fashion and can be reconciled with later on. He's the exact same character in the Tomb of the Giants; voice, outfit, and personality. To me, it seemed like he moved on from Boletaria after the events of Demon's Souls and headed to Lodran.

Him being there just cause, seems pretty flimsy. To me, it seems much more deliberate and concrete in its intention.

Ridley327

Still pretty confused on the purpose of humanity, can anyone summarize?

-Humanity increases the drop rate, as well as your curse resistance
-Being Human allows you to spend humanity to kindle bonfires (increase the amount of Estus Flask uses that a bonfire restores)
-Certain weapons scale with the amount of humanity you have
-Being human also allows you to be able to summon phantoms (both players and NPCs), as well as be invaded (ditto)
-Being human also very slightly raises your elemental resistances

kodt

Banned
Still pretty confused on the purpose of humanity, can anyone summarize?

You use humanity to do two things:

1. Reverse Hollowing (at a bonfire) - When you die in the game, you go hollow and appear undead. While undead you cannot be invaded, but also cannot summon people to help you. So by reverse hollowing you become "human" and can now summon people to help you, but you risk being invaded.

2. Kindle a Bonfire - you can spend humanity to kindle a bonfire, this will cause it to give you more Estus flasks (10 instead of 5, and then 15 instead of 10). You can only kindle while in "human" form.

Humanity also serves a third purpose. The more humanity you have, the more likely you are to get item drops.

You can get humanity as an item, which you then can consume to add to your humanity. The little counter next to your health and stam bar is your current humanity. How much you have in your inventory does not matter, only the number next to your hp/stam bars.

JeTmAn81

In the top left corner is a counter for your humanity level, which grants you higher item search ability and more defense and curse resistance. This can be leveled by consuming humanity or killing stuff.
Is it gray you only get the buffs, if it's white you are human and can be invaded or invade(as non darkmoon).
If you die you lose it as you lose your souls, but also reacquire them when touching your green blob.

I didn't know it granted any positive attributes. So can you get like +5 humanity by consuming multiple humanity items, or is it just once you're human that's it. I've only been going human for assistance in boss fights, so I might have to change that up now.

I didn't know it granted any positive attributes. So can you get like +5 humanity by consuming multiple humanity items, or is it just once you're human that's it. I've only been going human for assistance in boss fights, so I might have to change that up now.

Different things scale to different humanity levels. For instance item find and chaos weapon damage caps at 10 humanity.

Grief.exe

You can also get humanity by killing enemies before a boss is dead, invading, and being summoned.

I wouldn't use too many of the items. Those are more for when you need someone to help you or to kindle a fire.

Vaporak

I'm not sure if you played Demon's Souls, but fairly late in the game you'll encounter a traveling merchant named Patches. He betrays you in the same fashion and can be reconciled with later on. He's the exact same character in the Tomb of the Giants; voice, outfit, and personality. To me, it seemed like he moved on from Boletaria after the events of Demon's Souls and headed to Lodran.

Him being there just cause, seems pretty flimsy. To me, it seems much more deliberate and concrete in its intention.

It's just a demon's souls reference. Plenty of works of fiction have characters that are references to other works of fiction, I don't think you should read into it too much.

Haunted

Just think of it as a cameo.

Dark Bead does so much damage. I love it.
Pursuers makes me want to roll a new INT character. Badass version of Homing Crystal Soulmass? Yes, please.

Zeliard

I wish Yurt made an appearance.

The actual Yurt. I know there's a character in Dark Souls with a similar function, whom I shall not name so as not to spoil it for those in the dark, but he doesn't have quite the verve nor nearly the same impact.

Plus, Yurt the Silent Chief is sort of an unbeatable name.

Top Bottom