• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I wish Yurt made an appearance.

The actual Yurt. I know there's a character in Dark Souls with a similar function, whom I shall not name so as not to spoil it for those in the dark, but he doesn't have quite the verve nor nearly the same impact.

Plus, Yurt the Silent Chief is sort of an unbeatable name.

Do not be concerned, life is hardly as precious as one might think.

Humanity also raises DEF as well, caps at 10 like all the other benefits of Humanity.

If you can get Ceaseless Discharge to chase you and not spam lava,
run to the fog wall where you came in and he'll jump at you, whiff, and grab the ledge. Hit his hand a few times and he falls down the cliff and instantly dies.

If that isn't an option, run to that little corridor between the main walkway and get him to walk over there by just waiting, at the end closest to the fog door. You can then run down to the other end of the corridor and he'll keep trying to swing his hand at you. Dodge the swing, hit him until he retracts his hand, then stand there to bait him into it again. Repeat until dead.

OK, so I tried the drop attack on the skeleton wheel pit and it led to a very quick death :(

On the other hand, I think there's a better way (at least for me) to get rid of the damn things. If I walk, not run, and fall into the second ledge and wait for the stupid things, I can aggro just about all of them (except 2 WAY out there on the other side of the pit). Then I run around in a tiny circle to startle one of the two spirit things that explode. If I'm on the edge closest to the spirit thing and move back just as it's about to explode, I can kill most all of the skeleton wheels without me getting hurt by the explosion.

:D

Guys keep in mind:

-ENEMIES ALSO HAVE WEAPON TYPE DEFENSES.

Aside from lightning/fire resistance, enemies are varied in the types of weapons that can do dmg to them.

I.e. some enemies are weak to slashing type weapons (katanas, scythes, swords)

others are weak to Blunt type weapons. others to piercing (rapiers).

some weapons even have 2 types of qualities (such as slash and piercing).

-The Hornet ring (30% extra backstab damage) randomly gives you unique backstab and parry animations on other players/human npcs to showcase your much more brutal damage. the animation depends on your weapon (try using a parry attack with a black knight great axe, it looks disgusting. or for a really unique animation, try backstabbing/parrying with your barehands/fist type weapon)

Nope. Ceaseless Discharge might just be the easiest boss in the whole game. I'll spoiler how to take him down.

First off, you need to run towards the narrow passage to the right of where you enter the fog gate. If you stand at the end of it, CD will try to attack you with his big ass arm/tentacle. Roll away when you hear him scream, as thats the moment he slams his tentacle down in the passageway. He will rest in this position for a few seconds after the attack; just pound away at his arm and then bait him to attack you again. Rinse, repeat, you defeated

Tilian

Banned
And here I was wondering why I don't see more people wearing Paladin armour around (fully upgraded it is on par with Havel's set minus fire resistance). Then I get summoned in the archives by a guy with Paladin armour plus another Paladin phantom. And everybody has katanas.

Three Paladins slicing their way to Seath -- made my day.

Jintor

I took to wearing the forest covenant ring while I was grinding in Anor Londo. Got summoned, fought some jackass with an axe. He managed to troll like a dozen spriggans who were whaling on him but he was killing everything in one hit. Unfortunately for him I was playing super conservatively and he was, more or less, spazzing out. Eventually he died due to poor play.

880k souls. Fuck yeah

ElFly

Most NPCs are just regular models made with the character creator and given armour. It's basically the easiest way to get a variety of NPCs into the game. The same systems are used for the NPCs, humanoid enemies and the player character.

Sometimes I wonder if they made a ton of armours for the player and just stuck the NPCs and enemies inside, or if they made a ton of enemies and NPCs and decided to just give all the armour to the player during the game. :p

Hack that makes the game unable to render the helmets in question.

My theory is that the original plan was to have them helmetless, but then noticed that they would have to animate them talking and that was a lot of work, so they just added helmets to everyone.

Haunted

Nope. Ceaseless Discharge might just be the easiest boss in the whole game. I'll spoiler how to take him down.

First off, you need to run towards the narrow passage to the right of where you enter the fog gate. If you stand at the end of it, CD will try to attack you with his big ass arm/tentacle. Roll away when you hear him scream, as thats the moment he slams his tentacle down in the passageway. He will rest in this position for a few seconds after the attack; just pound away at his arm and then bait him to attack you again. Rinse, repeat, you defeated
or...
you can get the armour and then just run back to the fog gate where you enter the arena, wait for him until he's close and he's going to fall into a bottomless pit all on his own. Which is what I was alluding to with the "retreat" hint. :p

Best strat.
This man gets it.

My theory is that the original plan was to have them helmetless, but then noticed that they would have to animate them talking and that was a lot of work, so they just added helmets to everyone.

That seems unlikely to me, since they designed faces for the masked Demon's Souls characters too.

Eusis

or...
you can get the armour and then just run back to the fog gate where you enter the arena, wait for him until he's close and he's going to fall into a bottomless pit all on his own. Which is what I was alluding to with the "retreat" hint. :p
Except you're missing the second most important part:
you have to attack the hand he's hanging on the ledge with.
Except there's many characters without helmets and they didn't give a shit there either, they seem to only care when the heads are very big and the model is unique, and even then we have cases like Gwynevere. Like noted above, they likely simply cared enough to design the character fully regardless of whether we'd even see their head. Which actually has come up once:
Solaire when he's controlled by the sunlight maggot.

Jintor

I don't really know what to do with my 880k souls. I don't really want to level above where I am now because I can still fight S&O occasionally... but I don't really want to wander around carrying a bajillion souls either

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Guys keep in mind:

-ENEMIES ALSO HAVE WEAPON TYPE DEFENSES.

Aside from lightning/fire resistance, enemies are varied in the types of weapons that can do dmg to them.

I.e. some enemies are weak to slashing type weapons (katanas, scythes, swords)

others are weak to Blunt type weapons. others to piercing (rapiers).

some weapons even have 2 types of qualities (such as slash and piercing).

-The Hornet ring (30% extra backstab damage) randomly gives you unique backstab and parry animations on other players/human npcs to showcase your much more brutal damage. the animation depends on your weapon (try using a parry attack with a black knight great axe, it looks disgusting. or for a really unique animation, try backstabbing/parrying with your barehands/fist type weapon)
I didn't think it was random - just only works on "human" players (i.e. NPCs in the Forest, not undead enemies).

However, you've piqued my curiosity on the BKGA and fist animations... will have to go try that out.

Ridley327

It's funny playing through the beginning of the game again. You wind up being so afraid of black knights early on, and now they're just any other enemy. Even the more dignified miniboss-type monsters like Prowling Demons aren't as terrifying as they once were.

That's some good positive reinforcement, I think.

Sullichin

I don't really know what to do with my 880k souls. I don't really want to level above where I am now because I can still fight S&O occasionally... but I don't really want to wander around carrying a bajillion souls either

Max out pyro glove. Max out all armor and weapons.

ElFly

I'm not sure if you played Demon's Souls, but fairly late in the game you'll encounter a traveling merchant named Patches. He betrays you in the same fashion and can be reconciled with later on. He's the exact same character in the Tomb of the Giants; voice, outfit, and personality. To me, it seemed like he moved on from Boletaria after the events of Demon's Souls and headed to Lodran.

Him being there just cause, seems pretty flimsy. To me, it seems much more deliberate and concrete in its intention.

Man, if your theory was true, that world is really fucked up.

Ridley327

What's a good place to farm souls? I want to get my sorceror to 100 without starting a NG+.

The interior of Anor Londo seems to be one of the best places, thanks to the silver knights being all over the place. The bottom of New Londo Ruins is also good, and you'll be stocking up on Titanite Chunks and Slabs to go along with the souls.

ezekial45

Banned
What's a good place to farm souls? I want to get my sorceror to 100 without starting a NG+.

Painted World of Ariamis. with the Symbol of Avarice + Covetous Silver Serpent Ring equipped, fight the Phalanx enemies (the deformed shield and spear monsters) in the courtyard. You can get upwards to 15K souls every two minutes. It served me well.

Raxus

The interior of Anor Londo seems to be one of the best places, thanks to the silver knights being all over the place. The bottom of New Londo Ruins is also good, and you'll be stocking up on Titanite Chunks and Slabs to go along with the souls.

If you want quick and easy souls you get ~5k doing darkroot garden runs as well.

Level 100 is....extreme for a NG+ run. Most start NG+ around 70. Heck I ended NG++ at 120 and that is because I had nothing left to spend my souls on.

or...

This man gets it.

Funnily enough that strategy never worked for me. I felt like I was doing it wrong, was trying to think of the best approach while hiding in that passageway. Then the light bulb in my brain turned on and switched to plan B. Will definitely try again on my NG++ run.

edit: and yeah I'm leveled at 120 now, quite happy with where I am. I already feel overpowered in most sections so why go even further than that?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Time to visit blighttown i guess

You can also take up archery if you want a soul sink. Avelyn especially is pretty much the single most soul-hungry weapon in the game. If you're using the best ammunition every single pull of the trigger costs 2100 souls. Expensive, but worth it.

Zeliard

Still not having too much luck with being summoned, and it can be quite laggy when I do get in.

Just had a hilarious experience in Anor Londo where it was so laggy that the archer in the big room was using the Dragonslayer Bow as his shield and swiping at us with the arrow itself. I regret not taking a picture of it.

Ridley327

If you want quick and easy souls you get ~5k doing darkroot garden runs as well.

Level 100 is....extreme for a NG+ run. Most start NG+ around 70. Heck I ended NG++ at 120 and that is because I had nothing left to spend my souls on.

Is it? I ended my first playthrough at SL100, but then I spent 70 hours on that run, so I'm probably not in the norm at all.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is it? I ended my first playthrough at SL100, but then I spent 70 hours on that run, so I'm probably not in the norm at all.

You're not far off time- and level-wise from my first run. My first character finished up around SL90 or so with 70-odd hours on the clock. I remember quite a few people in the first OTs for the game having rather similar time and level ranges to me, so I don't think it's very far outside the norm for your first playthrough at all.

Funnily enough that strategy never worked for me. I felt like I was doing it wrong, was trying to think of the best approach while hiding in that passageway. Then the light bulb in my brain turned on and switched to plan B. Will definitely try again on my NG++ run.

edit: and yeah I'm leveled at 120 now, quite happy with where I am. I already feel overpowered in most sections so why go even further than that?

If you let him get off one attack (dodge obviously) at his initial point and then run back to the beginning the fight is much easier and there is no risk. Ultimately, based on the way it plays out, I think this is the way the designers wanted it to play out. But of course he can be defeated through more conventional means.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
But in NG+ you can buy additional copies of the stronger spells.
You could always help people with the lord soul or DLC bosses.

I plan to do NG+ later but I just did it with my first character and don't like feel like running through all the content for the fourth time already.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sullichin

I plan to do NG+ later but I just did it with my first character and don't like feel like running through all the content for the fourth time already.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It's kind of annoying to have everything locked again. Ooacile township is probably your best bet for pvp/co-op for souls now, I'm able to invade a lot at SL80

Totakeke

I'm thinking what the game needs is tweaking or more combat options against multiple enemies. The frustrating parts of the game are usually because you have to deal with multiple enemies at the same time and the system doesn't handle that well. Say what you will about unlocking and controlling the camera on the fly, but it requires a lot more finesse than against a single enemy.

Jintor

I guess I'll just level myself out of the possibility of fighting O&S again in jolly co-op :(

Where do I leave 4 kings summoning signs, firelink?

Vaporak

I'm thinking what the game needs is tweaking or more combat options against multiple enemies. The frustrating parts of the game are usually because you have to deal with multiple enemies at the same time and the system doesn't handle that well. Say what you will about unlocking and controlling the camera on the fly, but it requires a lot more finesse than against a single enemy.

It's almost like it was designed so that fighting more than one opponent would be harder than fighting one opponent...

it does, which is why you generally shouldn't be doing it. there's very few times you're forced into facing multiple foes at once. also:
wide swings, splash damage/AoE pyro, "piercing line" spells, AoE/CC miracles, invulnerability windows on rispostes/backstabs.. plenty of options

EasyMode

I guess I'll just level myself out of the possibility of fighting O&S again in jolly co-op :(

Where do I leave 4 kings summoning signs, firelink?

The area just after the elevator in New Londo where all those sad dreglings hang out. Near the 4 King's fog gate works too.

In other news, this little guy in Blighttown has a shitty job:

Ridley327

The area just after the elevator in New Londo where all those sad dreglings hang out. Near the 4 King's fog gate works too.

In other news, this little guy in Blighttown has a shitty job:

That's such an awesome detail. For a game that isn't exactly big on humor, seeing that made me laugh hard.

Top Bottom