• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I guess I'll just level myself out of the possibility of fighting O&S again in jolly co-op :(

Where do I leave 4 kings summoning signs, firelink?

The two main locations for that boss are in the little courtyard area immediately after descending the stairs from the elevator and right outside the boss door. Sometimes people also leave them on the small bridge leading to the first ghosts, but I've always thought that seemed needlessly out of the way.

Sarcasm

The area just after the elevator in New Londo where all those sad dreglings hang out. Near the 4 King's fog gate works too.

In other news, this little guy in Blighttown has a shitty job:

I can't tell what in USA that picture cause no matter what I do it its really small. What its it?

Smash88

Banned
or...
you can get the armour and then just run back to the fog gate where you enter the arena, wait for him until he's close and he's going to fall into a bottomless pit all on his own. Which is what I was alluding to with the "retreat" hint. :p

This man gets it.

Oh wow, I had no idea I could do this. I've tried the little narrow corridor, but timing the roll is so luck based, if I mess up 99% of my life is gone. I will definitely do this. Thanks!

Totakeke

It's almost like it was designed so that fighting more than one opponent would be harder than fighting one opponent...

it does, which is why you generally shouldn't be doing it. there's very few times you're forced into facing multiple foes at once. also:
wide swings, splash damage/AoE pyro, "piercing line" spells, AoE/CC miracles, invulnerability windows on rispostes/backstabs.. plenty of options

O&S, Capra Demon are unavoidable and cannot be backstabbed/riptosed. How many people have had trouble with those? Plus melee are the ones that are having the most problems with multiple enemies.

Look, if you can spend most of your time in the game fighting only one enemy or setting up the situation for you to do that, then suddenly you force the players to fight multiple enemies and having them to be forced to learn how to lock/unlock and handle the camera at the same time, obviously players will hit a brick wall. It's not a gradual learning curve but a sudden jump. Yes, people can eventually learn how to do it, but you can't argue it's a good game design.

EasyMode

Yea clock it stool a thumb nail, open in new tab still thumb nail and even save as its still thumb nail.

Alright, try this:

2012-09-10_00001evd75.jpg

Acageron

The area just after the elevator in New Londo where all those sad dreglings hang out. Near the 4 King's fog gate works too.

In other news, this little guy in Blighttown has a shitty job:

Incredible. I have played dark souls for over 200 hours, but have never noticed that. Thanks!

I wonder if you can kill him?

Jintor

The two main locations for that boss are in the little courtyard area immediately after descending the stairs from the elevator and right outside the boss door. Sometimes people also leave them on the small bridge leading to the first ghosts, but I've always thought that seemed needlessly out of the way.

I hope I can leave my sign up there and then go downstairs and troll knights for titanite chunks.

nah he just needs to enter from valley of the drakes and in 3 mins he's at the boss.

This is what I did. But, I ran around forever looking for a fire. Damn poison snipers were making me their bitch. All done though.

This game is so good it's crazy. The variety in enemies and environments is the greatest thing ever. I wish there were an easier mode so more people would see it maybe.

rybrad

Late game questions, spoilers are locations related:
I am at the Bed of Chaos in Lost Izalith and I took the shortuct. Demon Ruins and this zone are incredibly awful. Is there anything in Lost Izalith or Demon Ruins worth exploring for? I already got the ember in Demon Ruins so I am hoping nothing else decent is in this crapfest couple of zones.

Also, is Tomb of the Giants as bad as Izalith? I was really loving the game up until this zone and I don't know if I can take another one like this.

O&S, Capra Demon are unavoidable and cannot be backstabbed/riptosed. How many people have had trouble with those? Plus melee are the ones that are having the most problems with multiple enemies.

Look, if you can spend most of your time in the game fighting only one enemy or setting up the situation for you to do that, then suddenly you force the players to fight multiple enemies and having them to be forced to learn how to lock/unlock and handle the camera at the same time, obviously players will hit a brick wall. It's not a gradual learning curve but a sudden jump. Yes, people can eventually learn how to do it, but you can't argue it's a good game design.

what do you mean by lock/unlocking? you know you can just flick left and right and select targets, right.. right? Although for huge weapons like the
great demon's hammer
going unlocked is worth practising.

both those fights you've mentioned are easily handled by blocking, dodging, having patience, and using the environment to your advantage. Capra is all about the first five seconds. He can be blocked or dodge rolled fairly easily. As long as you don't roll into a dog, and reach the foot of the stairs, you've won the fight. O&S is about using the environment to keep them aligned but separated, and they both involve having some awareness of what's going around you. I'm not allowed to argue that's good design? I think it is. Summon help if it's an issue - that's one supplied mechanism for dealing with it.

btw i do know about melee and multiple enemies, would you believe. you have a stack of options depending on your choice of weapon. unless you are relying on just one weapon in which case, diversify. Pyro is also available to everybody regardless of build. (as a melee build you should at the very least be considering
power within
, so if you're having a tough time why not add a fireball or two?)

Frankly I don't really know what you want. The game gives you options, it's up to you to use them.

Wow... after struggling and almost giving up on the game while trying to kill the Taurus demon, the game has really opened up for me. I'm still dying a lot, but I'm also killing and the enemies that once kicked my ass are getting easier and easier. I just got the... uh... the sword from the dragon's tail and I went back down the mountain to reinforce my Estus flasks. I also just figured out what reversing the hallowing did. That would have been useful weeks ago.

All in all, my opinion went from "I hate this fucking piece of shit game" to "I've been up too late tonight playing and I'm going to feel like shit tomorrow for the second night in a row".

ixix

Late game questions, spoilers are locations related:
I am at the Bed of Chaos in Lost Izalith and I took the shortuct. Demon Ruins and this zone are incredibly awful. Is there anything in Lost Izalith or Demon Ruins worth exploring for? I already got the ember in Demon Ruins so I am hoping nothing else decent is in this crapfest couple of zones.

Also, is Tomb of the Giants as bad as Izalith? I was really loving the game up until this zone and I don't know if I can take another one like this.

Izalith is the worst area of the game by a mile. If you've met Solaire and Siegmeier in Izalith and had the Kirk invasion then there's nothing left for you to do there. Just off the Bed of Chaos and say goodbye forever.

There are actually two embers in Demon Ruins: the Chaos Ember near where Ceaseless Discharge was standing guarded by Taurus Demons and the Large Flame Ember near the end guarded by the tunneling bug dudes. There's also an invasion by Kirk, but that's only available until you kill the Firesage.

Totakeke

Frankly I don't really know what you want. The game gives you options, it's up to you to use them.

Uh, for the game to have a more gradual learning curve? How do you explain so many people having problem with these fights? Because they present a problem that most players has not encountered prior to the encounter itself and they do it with a sudden difficulty jump. Either they tweak the combat system to be more forgiving in multiple enemy encounters, or they design the game in a way that introduces unavoidable multiple enemy combat situations more gradually instead of only forcing it on you in boss fights.

Unlocking is needed when you need to run away from enemies. You cannot run away well enough when enemies are close to you because if you press back and press run, you just get a backflip which consumes stamina. Unlock, turn around, and run, that's the best method of gaining distance. If you stay locked you will eventually be caught due to the lack of speed and also the camera angle.

how is the capra demon the first time you have to manage multiple mobs? the dogs in lower undead burg attack together, so do the minor hollows with flaming torches. and even if you miss them you can't miss the ambushes by ninjas, those are groups of three really fast enemies you have to manage.

Totakeke

how is the capra demon the first time you have to manage multiple mobs? the dogs in lower undead burg attack together, so do the minor hollows with flaming torches. and even if you miss them you can't miss the ambushes by ninjas, those are groups of three really fast enemies you have to manage.

Several reasons I guess. One is because they die in one or two hits. You risk taking a hit or two which doesn't kill you for you to deal with the problem. Or you can also lure them to deal with them one at a time into another area. You can also block very easily against them. Blocking against Capra and O&S is not a solution.

Uh, for the game to have a more gradual learning curve? How do you explain so many people having problem with these fights? Because they present a problem that most players has not encountered prior to the encounter itself and they do it with a sudden jump.

Unlocking is needed when you need to run away from enemies. You cannot run away well enough when enemies are close to you because if you press back and press run, you just get a backflip which consumes stamina. Unlock, turn around, and run, that's the best method of gaining distance. If you stay locked you will eventually be caught due to the lack of speed and also the camera angle.

That's running not fighting. 95% of the time you want to stay facing the enemy with your shield up, far more survivable. Also most enemies are slow enough to completely get away from that way, and if you pull back far enough it will unlock itself for you. Yes sometimes you do want to run away sure, I just never realised it was that difficult to push the stick in once.

Regarding the first paragraph:
gargoyles fight
introduces you to
two bosses
the dogs and thieves in lower undeadburg foreshadow the capra demon fights
and so on. Yes the game does throw some challenges up at you from time to time but in my opinion they all just build on the same tools you've been using the rest of the game, there's nothing new you need to know to overcome them. That, imo, is good design.

Totakeke said:
Blocking against Capra and O&S is not a solution.

Actually yes, yes it is. Especially against O&S.

ixix

Several reasons I guess. One is because they die in one or two hits. You risk taking a hit or two which doesn't kill you for you to deal with the problem. Or you can also lure them to deal with them one at a time into another area. You can also block very easily against them. Blocking against Capra and O&S is not a solution.

Capra's dogs are the same as the dogs in the rest of the Lower Burg. If you kill the pre-Capra dogs in one or two hits then you'll kill Capra's dogs in one or two hits.

O&S have very, very few unblockable attacks. In fact, Dark Souls in general has very few attacks that are genuinely unblockable. Sufficient Stamina and Stability will let you endure an enormous proportion of enemy attacks simply by raising your shield.

rybrad

Izalith is the worst area of the game by a mile. If you've met Solaire and Siegmeier in Izalith and had the Kirk invasion then there's nothing left for you to do there. Just off the Bed of Chaos and say goodbye forever.

There are actually two embers in Demon Ruins: the Chaos Ember near where Ceaseless Discharge was standing guarded by Taurus Demons and the Large Flame Ember near the end guarded by the tunneling bug dudes. There's also an invasion by Kirk, but that's only available until you kill the Firesage.
Sweet, thanks for all the info. I am overjoyed to know that the end is in sight now.

laika09

I finally beat
Four Kings
. Holy shit.

I used like 6 humanity at the end for complete heals since I ran out of my 15 estus flasks, lol

I'm really happy because now this is officially further than I ever got on the PS3 version.

okay but even if that's true you must have had to deal with at least three ninjas at once? when they ambush you (twice on the way to capra) you have no choice but to deal with them all at the same time, and the second time it's in a really tight space too. and blocking will probably just get you butt-stabbed.

now that I'm thinking about it, the walk to capra actually teaches you everything you need to kill him!

Has there been any word on anything from Namco or From since the PC version's release?

Yeah. I mean are they going to fix the online or tweak it or have they at least acknowledged it? It's definitely holding the game back for me especially since I can't really do pvp in oolacile :(

Grief.exe

Running an Int/Dex melee build right now.

Whats the best light armor? Using Crimson right now.

Has there been any word on anything from Namco or From since the PC version's release?

Yeah. I mean are they going to fix the online or tweak it or have they at least acknowledged it? It's definitely holding the game back for me especially since I can't really do pvp in oolacile :(

I'd love to hear an official announcement about how well the game did, if there are going to be any patches, and what From/Namco thinks about Durante's fix.

Jintor

I finally beat
Four Kings
. Holy shit.

I used like 6 humanity at the end for complete heals since I ran out of my 15 estus flasks, lol

I'm really happy because now this is officially further than I ever got on the PS3 version.

15?

Sarcasm

I feel completely lost in sens...haha kinda fun. But I have this naggign feeling I am missing a lot of items.

Also finally got balder side sword...so now I have iato +10 and a balder side sword +10

The iato has higher base damage while having less dmg on the heavy.
BSS is less base but higher dmg on thrust...dunno what to use lol.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I feel completely lost in sens...haha kinda fun. But I have this naggign feeling I am missing a lot of items.

Also finally got balder side sword...so now I have iato +10 and a balder side sword +10

The iato has higher base damage while having less dmg on the heavy.
BSS is less base but higher dmg on thrust...dunno what to use lol.
If you are pumping dex then balder will be better. At +14 and +15 it gets A ranked dex scaling

Totakeke

That's running not fighting. 95% of the time you want to stay facing the enemy with your shield up, far more survivable. Also most enemies are slow enough to completely get away from that way, and if you pull back far enough it will unlock itself for you. Yes sometimes you do want to run away sure, I just never realised it was that difficult to push the stick in once.

You're pushing the stick around and in once while juggling other things. Obviously you know that. Against Capra and Smough, running is quite necessary because staying in close range while you haven't take care of their companions doesn't work. Being close of course makes them easier to hit you, but you also have the problem of close camera angles making it difficult to see their companions. Maybe it does for you and you're awesome.

Regarding the first paragraph:
gargoyles fight
introduces you to
two bosses
the dogs and thieves in lower undeadburg foreshadow the capra demon fights
and so on. Yes the game does throw some challenges up at you from time to time but in my opinion they all just build on the same tools you've been using the rest of the game, there's nothing new you need to know to overcome them. That, imo, is good design.

Gargoyles, ah yes. Forgot about that. It's basically the same thing except you can deal with just one if you're fast enough. I think most people's solutions to the gargs is to just take down the first one quickly if they're soloing.

Actually yes, yes it is. Especially against O&S.

You can block once against Smough, but twice? Then you need to chug a flask. Or maybe you have high enough poise, which is another concept that can be oblivious to new players.

Capra's dogs are the same as the dogs in the rest of the Lower Burg. If you kill the pre-Capra dogs in one or two hits then you'll kill Capra's dogs in one or two hits.

O&S have very, very few unblockable attacks. In fact, Dark Souls in general has very few attacks that are genuinely unblockable. Sufficient Stamina and Stability will let you endure an enormous proportion of enemy attacks simply by raising your shield.

They're not unblockable, but blocking them prevents you from counterattacking effectively. Smough's attacks are of course heavy, Ornstein's attacks usually push you back or stun you enough that avoiding them are better to get more hits in.

okay but even if that's true you must have had to deal with at least three ninjas at once? when they ambush you (twice on the way to capra) you have no choice but to deal with them all at the same time, and the second time it's in a really tight space too. and blocking will probably just get you butt-stabbed.

now that I'm thinking about it, the walk to capra actually teaches you everything you need to kill him!

You just need to be aware of the situation once, maybe by getting hit, which doesn't kill you and run away to a better position. For Capra, the best space people have found to run away to is the stairs of course which gives you a few seconds. Usually people don't run past enemies to find a safe spot. But yes, maybe most players having trouble just suck.

Ridley327

Man, Capra Demon was not cooperating with me for a bit there. He finally did what he was supposed to do, though, and I got him.

Someone invaded me in the Depths right before I opened the door to the bonfire. I don't think he was expecting me to use the hallway that leads to it as an advantage for me and the Fire Halbred +10 that I had equipped. He gave a good fight, no doubt, but his lunge left him wide open enough for me to get him.

Good times all around.

I have just accepted that my gaming skills are not up to snuff for this title. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it though, I progress as far as I can then I summon help for the bosses.

I did take down the asylum and taurus demon by myself, some "friend" one shotted the gargoyles for me and I hired help for the capra demon and the big dragon in the depths.

Just lit the bonfire in Blightown and going to check it out later. I need to read a bit more about the divine weapons and stuff, I have loads of titanite shards and moss and all sorts of crap, no idea what to do with it :D

You just need to be aware of the situation once, maybe by getting hit, which doesn't kill you and run away to a better position. For Capra, the best space people have found to run away to is the stairs of course which gives you a few seconds. Usually people don't run past enemies to find a safe spot. But yes, maybe most players having trouble just suck.

hey I got stuck on capra for a while on both the characters I've rolled so far. my main point wasn't that people struggling "suck" but rather that the game actually does give you quite a lot of "help" in its own way.

the major problem is that people playing games these days expect everything to be spelled out in a fully-voiced cut-scene or unskippable tutorial section with text all over the screen. it's not actually necessary, and moreover it takes the fun out of discovering new tricks and tactics.

I know, right? Might as well go to 20.

Wouldn't count on it. Online has bean more or les this shitty on consoles since launch, and I dont recall them ever acknowledging it.

But at least on the consoles I was able to summon much more frequently. I feel its ten times worse this time

FtHTiny

On another note. I managed to get a sl8 into the darkwraiths and had no invasion failed ever with it. I don´t know what´s wrong on higher levels with the invasion/summons but on low levels it seems to work perfect.
Just a sidenote.

I wonder if it would be possible for 360 and pc players to share the same player pool once the dlc is out on consoles? isn't that like the only good thing about gfwl?

Top Bottom